Faction idea

Worri.5478

I have an idea and I was directed here to discuss it.

So, in guild wars one there was a thing called faction wars. You would choose what faction you wanted to represent and you would fight to earn points for set faction. Now I understandd wvw is slightly simalar to where your earning points for your server. Buuuuut what if as a GUILD you choose one of the gods to server under and you could earn faction points for set god by either special pvp matches or pve quests. Something like this would not only spark a new interest in players but it would also cause multiple guilds to come together and form alliences and such under the same god. Just brief thought I had thee other day that might be worth takeing in to consideration.

This wouldnt work lore wise, You have races in game that dont worship gods as playable races: Charr, Asura, Sylvari. and a race that worships Spirits(and its not even worship): Norn. The only race in game thats playable and worships gods is humans, and not everyone plays them.

I can almost guarantee that the RP guild im a part of would certainly have issues with this idea as the guild is almost entirely Charr.

> @"Worri.5478" said:

> Your not worshiping anyone tour just earning faction points. On top of the fact gw2's main story line has been built around God's and dragons so it would totally work

"You choose one of the gods to serve under" a direct quote from your original post. that is *VERY* Similar to worshiping a god, again, four of the five races lore wise do not serve gods in any capacity.

And no, GW2s story has been about Elder Dragons. The Core story is about Zhaitan, HoT is about Mordremoth, PoF is about Balthazaar(who lost his god status so not a real god), and Kralkatoric, a god has only featured in one book of a five "book" story with Kormir making a one chapter appearance in that one book. The next story will be focused entirely on Kralkatoric, the story has hardly been built around gods. Dragons, absolutely.

Factions i agree with kinda(there really isnt a need for that in this game, in GW1 factions it made sense, in the current setting of GW2 it does not), them being based around gods, i absolutely do not.

Not only does it not work with 4 of the playable races, but the human gods left... they are not around anymore. The last ones to leave was Balthazar (as he died, stripped of his godliness) and Kormir.

I find it unlikely they would return to wage battles against eachother... if they did come back it would completely ruin the impact that PoF had for human characters.

And again... it simply does not fit with 4 of the playable races in any shape or form.

Some sort of factions that does not include the human gods might work... not sure what it would be to fit all races though.

There is already the drive to redo the servers into alliances for wvw - not to sure if maybe can have some bonuses from that. Even factions in GW1 was a temporary thing and you could support both sides over time. Most of the times where we had to support one side or another it has been in some form of voting eg Evon and Ellen when they wanted to be captains, some of the newpapers votes for pets.

Long ago in a distant land...... WvW score used to give your server bonuses in PvE. But then a Foolish Samurai Warrior step forth t..... no wait.

Anyway. As your Server's Warscore went up, it granted your server small % bonuses in PvE areas of the game. But with the move to mega servers, and a push to normalize character performance, they dropped the bonuses and moved things more directly toward WvW rewards. And it makes sense, since the players who are earning that bonus could never benefit from it without leaving WvW/PvP, nor does PvE contribute anything to WvW/PvP directly..... as an incentive system it made no sense. Even more so when you realized WvW players often had to leave for PvE, to grind out coin to fund the war effort. If that model were to return today, it would never work given PvE focused players would not give money for something they don't benefit from directly. The number of sinks in the game, coupled with the amount of rewards that had to be added to WvW (to be a net positive) is proof of that.

The problem with this entire premise is "what do you offer as reward?". Because anything you could possibly suggest that isn't directly related to WvW would immediately make much more sense at a Guild Hall level, via guild missions, a new form of guild level currency, or (dare I say this publicly) Guild based Collections/Achievements.