Suggestion: Runes/Sigils salvage

Ari.4023

I get it Anet, you wanted people to use their accumulated Black Lion salvage kits. Also you wanted to make minor and major sigils and runes less of a clutter in player inventories, isn't the ability to salvage them enough? Why auto-salvage them when salvaging? But you're just going to insist on this aren't you...

Then change the kits to have a small chance of recovering upgrades, while black lion kits have 100% of doing so:

Master/Mystic Salvage Kit/Silver Salvage-o-matic = 20% to recover upgrades, 60% to salvage them.

Copper Salvage-o-matic = 5% to recover upgrades, 20% to salvage them.

The thing with Black Lion kits is when you look at their gem cost and calculate the gold-per-use its around 4g for a single black lion kit use, that makes it not worthwhile to use in most cases. Even now the price of sigils and runes is not high enough, the price of ectos is not high enough, there is not enough incentive other than when salvaging exotics but people always used BL kits for those. And so the price of minor and major runes and sigils is skyrocketing needlessly, and who does this hurt the most? New players. NEW PLAYERS, Anet. I think you don't want to hurt that population.

Right, at the time of writing this I have not even checked what those charms and symbols cost... Yet another move by Anet that hurts new players severely just to introduce something more for the veterans to do. And this isn't even good for anyone, veterans included.

Ascended crafting using lower tier materials made them so much more expensive, so that leveling crafting now is a very costly thing. Players like me who have been around since the start of GW2 and leveled all crafting to 400 while it was cheap were not affected by this. But newer players? Looks like they need to pay more to get the same thing we did alot cheaper back in the day.

Hopefully Anet will realize the health of the game requires them to fix this situation. Both situations really, leveling crafting to 400 should not be so costly and it should be made account-wide without limitations of 2 crafting professions on characters. Thats for the future though, right now just reduce the leveling requirements up to 400 for the sake of new players.

And vastly increase the drop rate of charms and symbols... The current rate is a joke.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> Right, at the time of writing this I have not even checked what those charms and symbols cost... Yet another move by Anet that hurts new players severely just to introduce something more for the veterans to do. And this isn't even good for anyone, veterans included.

>

> Ascended crafting using lower tier materials made them so much more expensive, so that leveling crafting now is a very costly thing. Players like me who have been around since the start of GW2 and leveled all crafting to 400 while it was cheap were not affected by this. But newer players? Looks like they need to pay more to get the same thing we did alot cheaper back in the day.

>

> Hopefully Anet will realize the health of the game requires them to fix this situation. Both situations really, leveling crafting to 400 should not be so costly and it should be made account-wide without limitations of 2 crafting professions on characters. Thats for the future though, right now just reduce the leveling requirements up to 400 for the sake of new players.

>

> And vastly increase the drop rate of charms and symbols... The current rate is a joke.

But the increase of lower tier materials also gives more gold to the leveling players

I can understand the desire to get at least some of what we had access to back, but the auto-salvaging of runes and sigils actually does provide a QoL change to people running any sort of multi-loot event or using unidentified equipment or etc, any time a person fills up inventory with green equipment to salvage. Putting back the ability to recover upgrades with the salvage-o-matics or other kits would take that QoL away, even if at a reduced rate.

What I personally advocate for is making more sources of rune and sigil bags. Right now they're found in only the guild merchants and a couple gizmos and they're not too reliable to get by those methods either. The recent change to make these bags stack-able give me hope that this idea may actually be in the works. I just imagine this to be the most elegant solution to the low level runes and sigils, multi-loot a stack of bags filled with them instead of each rune and sigil type having its own stack after trying to salvage all to make room in the inventory.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> Right, at the time of writing this I have not even checked what those charms and symbols cost... Yet another move by Anet that hurts new players severely just to introduce something more for the veterans to do. And this isn't even good for anyone, veterans included.

You don't realistically *need* minor and major runes/sigils to be efficient.

> Ascended crafting using lower tier materials made them so much more expensive, so that leveling crafting now is a very costly thing. Players like me who have been around since the start of GW2 and leveled all crafting to 400 while it was cheap were not affected by this. But newer players? Looks like they need to pay more to get the same thing we did alot cheaper back in the day.

Ascended crafting using lower tier materials is brilliant design that has been keeping a lot of materials from becoming garbage for several years now.

> Hopefully Anet will realize the health of the game requires them to fix this situation. Both situations really, leveling crafting to 400 should not be so costly and it should be made account-wide without limitations of 2 crafting professions on characters. Thats for the future though, right now just reduce the leveling requirements up to 400 for the sake of new players.

Levelling crafting isn't very hard for new players who explore and gather everything they see. They probably won't even touch crafting until some of their material collections overflow.

> And vastly increase the drop rate of charms and symbols... The current rate is a joke.

With the current drop rate and given the trading post prices, you still earn about the same amount of gold as before or more if you don't hoard.

Things might change in the future, but right now there is no rune crisis.

> Levelling crafting isn't very hard for new players who explore and gather everything they see. They probably won't even touch crafting until some of their material collections overflow.

From what I recall back in the day I did have to buy extra materials to be able to level all crafting to 400 and I was playing with several diffrent characters so plenty of roaming in maps and gathering everything. Do we suddenly get more materials out of nodes?

> right now there is no rune crisis.

Some have increased in price, the wintersday runes and sigils required for Winter's Presence. Which is probably the reason why they made the drop rate so pitiful.

I have actually recieved not even one charm or symbol so far.

This change was just made and we have wierd prices for minor and major sigils. We used to able to buy those cheap and put them in armor/weapons when better stuff was not affordable, you know, for new players. Considering the prices will probably never go down, and crafting those is not worth it because if you're going to craft something you'd do the superior ones.

Maybe they need to make minors and majors untradable in the TP completely. Remove everything, give them back to the players who posted them and force them to salvage.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> From what I recall back in the day I did have to buy extra materials to be able **to level all crafting to 400** and I was playing with several diffrent characters so plenty of roaming in maps and gathering everything. Do we suddenly get more materials out of nodes?

We're still talking about new players, right?

> Some have increased in price, the wintersday runes and sigils required for Winter's Presence. Which is probably the reason why they made the drop rate so pitiful.

Combined with the current increase in demand. You also earn more if you sell these runes and sigils, which leaves you with more liquid gold.

Still, Winter's Presence is a premium skin and by design shouldn't be easily obtained by new players.

> I have actually recieved not even one charm or symbol so far.

That's too bad, but you're going to "break even" as soon as one or two finally drop.

> This change was just made and we have wierd prices for minor and major sigils. We used to able to buy those cheap and put them in armor/weapons when better stuff was not affordable, you know, for new players. Considering the prices will probably never go down, and crafting those is not worth it because if you're going to craft something you'd do the superior ones.

There are minor and major runes and sigils already in the majority of masterwork and rare pieces you get. They're more than enough for a new player.

Also, you can complete any content using any runes, either as a new or a veteran player.

> Maybe they need to make minors and majors untradable in the TP completely. Remove everything, give them back to the players who posted them and force them to salvage.

No need to exaggerate. There's already a good solution proposed in this thread: introduce more sources of rune/sigil bags.

• 2 weeks later...

> @"Airdive.2613" said:

> We're still talking about new players, right?

Yes, what do you think we're talking about? Back then crafting max was 400, no ascended crafting existed. I have all crafting at 400+ on diffrent characters. And as I said, it required buying materials to keep crafting with crafting booster on. I guess now it will take more time if they just farm the materials instead of buying them.

> > Maybe they need to make minors and majors untradable in the TP completely. Remove everything, give them back to the players who posted them and force them to salvage.

>

> No need to exaggerate. There's already a good solution proposed in this thread: introduce more sources of rune/sigil bags.

Why? No reason for the TP to hold minors and majors with the current situation. This is not an exaggeration, it's what needs to be done.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> > @"Airdive.2613" said:

> > We're still talking about new players, right?

>

> Yes, what do you think we're talking about? Back then crafting max was 400, no ascended crafting existed. I have all crafting at 400+ on diffrent characters. And as I said, it required buying materials to keep crafting with crafting booster on. I guess now it will take more time if they just farm the materials instead of buying them.

Don't worry, new players are fine leveling crafting right now. My husband just started playing the game a short while ago, and he has had no problem leveling two crafting professions to 400+ already, just from materials he gathered himself, without any help from me or our daughters. Sure, some days he is a bit jealous that the girls and I all have a lot more stuff on our accounts than he has, but then we've been playing this game a lot more years, too ;) .

> > > Maybe they need to make minors and majors untradable in the TP completely. Remove everything, give them back to the players who posted them and force them to salvage.

> >

> > No need to exaggerate. There's already a good solution proposed in this thread: introduce more sources of rune/sigil bags.

>

> Why? No reason for the TP to hold minors and majors with the current situation. This is not an exaggeration, it's what needs to be done.

Why do you think this needs to be done? The trading post is there to allow people to trade the majority of their loot. If somebody prefers to sell minor and major runes/sigils and let others break them down, why not?

> @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> Why do you think this needs to be done? The trading post is there to allow people to trade the majority of their loot. If somebody prefers to sell minor and major runes/sigils and let others break them down, why not?

Because minors and majors are mostly unwanted now. There are less and less of them available in the game each day and this trend is going to continue until the price for them skyrockets beyond what they are worth. Then not so intelligent players will post them on the TP dreaming of a big payday while all they are doing is wasting the posting fee for something that will never sell.

Also the bags for runes and sigils idea, why even bother? Superior runes and sigils are what people want, not minor and major ones. You can add bags for superior ones, no problem with that, just a separate suggestion really. But add bags for minors and majors? Just to lower the price at the TP? Pointless. Remove them all from the TP and be done with it.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > Why do you think this needs to be done? The trading post is there to allow people to trade the majority of their loot. If somebody prefers to sell minor and major runes/sigils and let others break them down, why not?

>

> Because minors and majors are mostly unwanted now. There are less and less of them available in the game each day and this trend is going to continue until the price for them skyrockets beyond what they are worth. Then not so intelligent players will post them on the TP dreaming of a big payday while all they are doing is wasting the posting fee for something that will never sell.

>

> Also the bags for runes and sigils idea, why even bother? Superior runes and sigils are what people want, not minor and major ones. You can add bags for superior ones, no problem with that, just a separate suggestion really. But add bags for minors and majors? Just to lower the price at the TP? Pointless. Remove them all from the TP and be done with it.

>

>

If you think the bags won't help, then you don't know that the bags also drop superior runes at an uncommon rate. That and there's the option of mystic forging the runes or sigils and the new option to salvage the runes or sigils for a chance to get symbols or charms.

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> Then they need to make these bags drop regularly pretty much everywhere in the game. Otherwise my suggestion stands: remove all minors and majors from the TP.

Well gee, that's kind of the idea. Make bags actually drop during normal gameplay.

You want minor and major runes/sigils removed from TP? Sure we can try that too. Not sure how it would help but at least the bags would give people something to play with in the mean time.

> @"Airdive.2613" said:

> There are minor and major runes and sigils already in the majority of masterwork and rare pieces you get. They're more than enough for a new player.

> Also, you can complete any content using any runes, either as a new or a veteran player.

There's also other upgrade types that aren't affected by the changes at all (jewels, the seal/medallion/talisman/crest items)

> @"Ari.4023" said:

> > @"Rasimir.6239" said:

> > Why do you think this needs to be done? The trading post is there to allow people to trade the majority of their loot. If somebody prefers to sell minor and major runes/sigils and let others break them down, why not?

>

> Because minors and majors are mostly unwanted now. There are less and less of them available in the game each day and this trend is going to continue until the price for them skyrockets beyond what they are worth. Then not so intelligent players will post them on the TP dreaming of a big payday while all they are doing is wasting the posting fee for something that will never sell.

Sorry, I can't follow your logic. The prices on the trading post will rise because people buy more runes and sigils than they sell, but at some magic point in the future suddenly everyone will stop buying them but still try to sell? That's how a market works, prices will rise to the point people are willing to pay, then stay there (with more or less fluctuation depending on the items, its sources and uses). If you're afraid that people will get stuck with offers on the trading post that never sell, why not care for any of the other things sold on the trading post? It happens with everything. I'm not good at trading, so I've had things on the trading post for months and years because I priced them too high.

> Also the bags for runes and sigils idea, why even bother? Superior runes and sigils are what people want, not minor and major ones. You can add bags for superior ones, no problem with that, just a separate suggestion really. But add bags for minors and majors? Just to lower the price at the TP? Pointless. Remove them all from the TP and be done with it.

I strongly suspect that the people suggesting more of those bags are the ones already getting all of the ones available, as they are in fact a good source of rune and sigil crafting materials. Just because you don't see the use doesn't mean others don't.