Sex appeal and armour design in Guild Wars 2

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sexy armor is fine as long as it is equal across genders.

You give a male a conservative, 100% covering piece of gear? The female counterpart should also be conservative and 100% covering.

You give a female a chainmail bikini? The male counterpart should have a chainmail codpiece.

Armor sets that fully cover the male and sex up the female are outdated and creepy.

> @"Pure Heart.1456" said:

> Straight up; I'm male, 39 years old, love working out at the gym, been playing since launch.

>

> Part of the initial attraction to the game was the athletic fitness physique of the Norn female model. I am and have always been on the look-out for armour pieces that accentuate this most excellent modelling work. It is therefore frustrating that the armour designs in Guild Wars 2 that target this area are comparatively few and far between.

>

> So that there is no misunderstanding, ridiculous "bikini" armours like those found in other games are _not_ what I am talking about here.

>

> Given that nearly six years have passed since launch, I feel I've exhausted my options for armour customization as it relates to the above, and I was wondering what impact (if any) the addition of armours that accentuate or enhance the 'sexual' appeal of armours for both male and female models would have on the existing customer base and also newcomers.

>

> **There are many old, mundane armour pieces that nobody needs/wants to use, and "new life" could be given to the game at an economically reasonable cost by editing and enhancing these older armour pieces, particularly since clipping issues have already been solved for those pieces.**

Every time I thought I hit the wall of making a great looking and "hot" character, I learned new things and constantly thrive on new ideas. So instead of offering you an argument as of why Anet should not go back and "enhance" the classic collection, I'd like to point out the direct solutions for style makers. Similar to in the contemporary world, no new styles have been added since the last several decades. Designers reinvent the silhouette and present the outfits as abstract paintings. So the keys to achieve your results would be to understand the elements of style that your clothes can enhance visually. In your case, I suppose "fitness = sexy". The look of firm, tone muscles with a slight darker but healthy skin tone must be alluring. Bare midriff, round hips, the shapely curves of biceps and thighs are most desirable for gym-goers. As a result, clothing can reveal a bit of mid-section, top with shorter sleeve length, bottoms should hug the curve, or be on a shorter length. Combination of two or three revealing parts (but not all) will offer the sexiness you want to achieve. Nothing looks sexy in deliberation.

Case study: https://imgur.com/a/36g1C

This is one of the heavy armor norn character entirely made because I was very fond of the harmony between the outfit and character creation. In my head, I wanted "barbarian, but sexy" - "strong like a brute" - "undeniably feminine". I wanted to show off her 6 packs, and so selecting to cover the bottom to steer clear from vulgarity. I matched individual pieces with interesting, different textures. Finally, I use a strong tonal dye palette to keeping the cohesion of the outfit.

Here is another: https://imgur.com/a/ndckR - Same principle but less effort. "Shaman, virtue, knowledge, part-time fighter, homemaker"

Last one: https://imgur.com/UAClSZ5 - "Shaman, wilderness dweller, animalic"

> @"Pure Heart.1456" said:

> Straight up; I'm male, 39 years old, love working out at the gym, been playing since launch.

>

> Part of the initial attraction to the game was the athletic fitness physique of the Norn female model. I am and have always been on the look-out for armour pieces that accentuate this most excellent modelling work. It is therefore frustrating that the armour designs in Guild Wars 2 that target this area are comparatively few and far between.

>

> So that there is no misunderstanding, ridiculous "bikini" armours like those found in other games are _not_ what I am talking about here.

>

> Given that nearly six years have passed since launch, I feel I've exhausted my options for armour customization as it relates to the above, and I was wondering what impact (if any) the addition of armours that accentuate or enhance the 'sexual' appeal of armours for both male and female models would have on the existing customer base and also newcomers.

>

> **There are many old, mundane armour pieces that nobody needs/wants to use, and "new life" could be given to the game at an economically reasonable cost by editing and enhancing these older armour pieces, particularly since clipping issues have already been solved for those pieces.**

I wish there were more outfits to fit a cuter or sexy side for female charr and asura. So far they got the least actual female armor sets for them. I know armor sets matches the male counterpart, but I wouldn't mind if cosmetic outs gave them female outfits access.

> @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > @"Chasind.3128" said:

> > If a woman REALLY went into combat, she did not have a breast plate for each breast.

>

> But, for the most part, a woman wouldn't go into combat. So what she would actually wear is an assumption on an exaggerated exception.

>

Viking Women and Japanese women would go into combat- not quite like the men but they had female warriors- they did not wear the unrealistic boob plates either. Even Ancient Rome had their women train for combat.

> @"Chasind.3128" said:

> > @"Leo G.4501" said:

> > > @"Chasind.3128" said:

> > > If a woman REALLY went into combat, she did not have a breast plate for each breast.

> >

> > But, for the most part, a woman wouldn't go into combat. So what she would actually wear is an assumption on an exaggerated exception.

> >

>

> Viking Women and Japanese women would go into combat- not quite like the men but they had female warriors- they did not wear the unrealistic boob plates either. Even Ancient Rome had their women train for combat.

Those are exceptions. Since exceptions are not the norm, Crafters and blacksmiths rarely, if ever, created armor for those exceptions thus those exceptions would not be catered to (and likely wore men's armor).

But the game takes place in a fantasy where women on the battlefield is a norm and so aesthetics will be different.

Well, this thread has officially been shadowbanned. It no longer bumps up when a new response is added.

> @"Weindrasi.3805" said:

> Sexy armor is fine as long as it is equal across genders.

> You give a male a conservative, 100% covering piece of gear? The female counterpart should also be conservative and 100% covering.

> You give a female a chainmail bikini? The male counterpart should have a chainmail codpiece.

> Armor sets that fully cover the male and sex up the female are outdated and creepy.

It is unrealistic to expect full parity across the sexes. Men and women have different physiology, different expectations in beauty, and different cultural significance, so because of this the armor has different ideal aesthetics across the sexes. The desire to have men and women look the same regardless of all this is imposed arbitrary by an outside ideology. Equality in design is not ideal here.

> @"Brutalistik.6473" said:

> > @"Pure Heart.1456" said:

> > Straight up; I'm male, 39 years old, love working out at the gym, been playing since launch.

> >

> > Part of the initial attraction to the game was the athletic fitness physique of the Norn female model. I am and have always been on the look-out for armour pieces that accentuate this most excellent modelling work. It is therefore frustrating that the armour designs in Guild Wars 2 that target this area are comparatively few and far between.

> >

> > So that there is no misunderstanding, ridiculous "bikini" armours like those found in other games are _not_ what I am talking about here.

> >

> > Given that nearly six years have passed since launch, I feel I've exhausted my options for armour customization as it relates to the above, and I was wondering what impact (if any) the addition of armours that accentuate or enhance the 'sexual' appeal of armours for both male and female models would have on the existing customer base and also newcomers.

> >

> > **There are many old, mundane armour pieces that nobody needs/wants to use, and "new life" could be given to the game at an economically reasonable cost by editing and enhancing these older armour pieces, particularly since clipping issues have already been solved for those pieces.**

>

> I wish there were more outfits to fit a cuter or sexy side for female charr and asura. So far they got the least actual female armor sets for them. I know armor sets matches the male counterpart, but I wouldn't mind if cosmetic outs gave them female outfits access.

This is the reason why I keep the Elonian Elementalist outfit on my female asura. Aside from the outfits, all of the asura armors are identical across the sexes, which makes it hard to make female asura look cute.

> @"Blood Red Arachnid.2493" said:

> This is the reason why I keep the Elonian Elementalist outfit on my female asura. Aside from the outfits, all of the asura armors are identical across the sexes, which makes it hard to make female asura look cute.

Hey thanks! I never knew this. Well hope for future outfits for female charr and asura to look different than male. I understand they wanna keep a certain look, but let players who play female charr and asura have fun with outfits that aren't resemble to the male outfit. It's pretty much saying just roll a male character than female when it comes down to that.