Balance: A note to the devs

Zenix.6198

First of all, calm down, I wont make bold suggestions as to how to "fix" balance issues in the competitive gamemodes here.

Secondly, I have no background in programming or game design, so I might very well be talking out of my kitten here.

Lastly, I also know that its not up to a single person to decide what's happening balance wise or how many resources are dedicated to it, so please dont take this as a personal slight.

Soooo....

Personally I have never seen so many people complain about the state of the game balance wise as there are right now (although I only have been playing since early 2014).

A vast majority of the community agrees that powercreep is out of control and needs to be adressed in some form.

As it stands right now, I - personally, as a player - would NOT recommend PvP to a completely new player, since I imagine it to be a quite frustrating experience for someone that is still learning the game.

Now there are a lot of people that claim, that support for the competitive modes simply isn't lucrative from a business PoV. But in all honesty, I think that is utter BS.

Sure, the PvP/WvW community might not be the big spenders and might be a minority but they are (and this is an assumption) very low maintenance.

We don't need new maps. We don't need new models. We don't need new voice acting. We don't need new animations.

We simply need (and here I might oversimplify) some people to change some numbers on a spreadsheet.

And personally, I'm convinced that a well done balance patch doesn't even come close to the ressources required (programming, work hours, etc.) for the, lets say, release of a new Living world chapter.

Balance patches ARE content patches for the PvP/WvW crowd.

I'm sorry to tell you that unfortunately, they do not care much of the population of pvp / wvw. the sad thing is that the community of this game is toxic because it takes us to the game and would like to improve it, constantly posting new ideas and possibilities from which they could take a cue, but I do not know for what strange reason, NEVER listen to what the community would. They have one of the best games on the market in my opinion, but with the worst balance team.

as for me, me and my 2 guilds we left the game for about a month (about 70 people in total) .... wait to see what will happen with the new patch at the beginning of the season of course -.- "but I think that it will be only the coup de grace to abandon the game definitively unfortunately.

IMO, part of the issue with sPvP is the fact that it is primarily a singular game-mode: Dominate the area to win the game. Even the 'other' gamemode has hints of this, as the resource area is remarkably close to a standard point capture circle, but a bit better.

SPvP could benefit from some variation, which would help to create new builds, new METAs, and help some builds that don't perform as well in point capture perform in other areas. And it would also make AoE-CC spam less OP, as the game wouldn't entirely revolve around dominating a circle anymore.

Thinks like:

--Team Death Match.

--Capture the Flag.

--Dunk The Ball (take a ball from your base to the enemy "hoop", like a reverse "Capture the Flag".).

I don't think duelling would be a particularly good idea for a clearly team-oriented game like GW2, especially as the team (seemingly) moves more towards team-play and party-roles and less towards "everyone is a jack of all trades".

Anet could even keep "secondary objects" in their maps with these new modes, as they do tend to mix things up and put a bit of variation into the core gameplay loop. Perhaps they could even add two or three different random events that could happen per map. These could be applied to multiple game-modes as well.

TLDR; More variation in game modes and objectives would make more and different builds flourish, as well as adding variation to the game itself.

----

Now, with adding game-modes, there are concerns that there will be too low a play base to handle more modes. I have two counter-arguments for that.

1) More game modes -will- attract more people to the sPvP itself.

2) Just as when we choose the map, maybe we should choose the game-mode on a vote basis. Everyone chooses the game mode, then the spinner spins to determine what all 10 people are playing for the match. It wouldn't be too bad, it might even improve the current system (we have 2 game modes atm, for those who don't select one or the other it would merge all the players in matchmaking).

> @"GuildSimplyDavis.7852" said:

>

> I'm sorry to tell you that unfortunately, they do not care much of the population of pvp / wvw. the sad thing is that the community of this game is toxic **because it takes us to the game and would like to improve it, constantly posting new ideas and possibilities from which they could take a cue, but I do not know for what strange reason, NEVER listen to what the community would** They have one of the best games on the market in my opinion, but with the worst balance team.

> as for me, me and my 2 guilds we left the game for about a month (about 70 people in total) .... wait to see what will happen with the new patch at the beginning of the season of course -.- "but I think that it will be only the coup de grace to abandon the game definitively unfortunately.