Your silence speaks loudly Anet

Loop.8106

As of me posting this thread, the two responses we've gotten from you since PoF release is; Bugged mAT Statues and Bugged mAT timer. While these are issues, they are nothing compared to the glaring flaw that is sPvP right now. Everything from getting FC'd for 6.5k to getting condi bursted to getting one-shot by pets and nuked by pre-nerfed Firebrand. We need some feedback.

We need to know what you're working on and we need to know it yesterday. It does not matter if you're just telling us the nerfs / buffs are coming after the season. Just tell us anything.

I don't want this post to turn into another nerf this- nerf that- thread but having a Gazelle hit you for 46k in sPvP should be around the same place in your priority list of reducing Firebrand burn-stacks and nerfing Holosmith dmg.

I understand that you can't tell us exactly what you're doing at all times or what you're changing balance wise. Just let us know that you're working on it and give us an ETA. Because Ranked queue right now is the equivelant of 10 kids with severe ADHD running around on cocaine with a couple of bazookas in each hand.

> @Chaith.8256 said:

> PvP team doesn't speak for Balance team, that's why..

>

> Anet has never laid out the balance vision for professions or had regular dialogue about how things are doing (it's rare)..

Yes and no, around HoT release when Revenant reigned supreme. We got a forum post saying patches were on the way. That's literally all I'm asking for. That and to fix some of the more obvious bugs plaguing our beloved game mode right now.

> @Chaith.8256 said:

>

> Anet has never laid out the balance vision for professions or had regular dialogue about how things are doing (it's rare)..

And the balance team doesn't PvP. Doesn't seem like anyone at ANet plays PvP to be honest. Bunch of carebear PvE players that couldn't care less about the state of PvP, or the fact that they singlehandedly killed their own chance at having PvP become an eSport, or that balance patches every 3-4 months isn't nearly enough because broken builds, specs, and abilities run rampant for that entire time, or that our matchmaking system is in ruins, matching Silver players against Legendary players and punishing them all the same for losing, it's a fucking joke. I've started to give up hope that they'll ever fix PvP or push content for it again. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy that only they can stop.

> @Loop.8106 said:

> > @Vagrant.7206 said:

> > > should be around the same place in your priority list of reducing Firebrand burn-stacks and **nerfing Holosmith dmg**.

> >

> > Wait, wut?

>

> The 25% damage nerf that happened.

Yeah, but that nerf was excessive, to the point that scrapper does more damage and is tankier than holosmith.

> @Vagrant.7206 said:

> > @Loop.8106 said:

> > > @Vagrant.7206 said:

> > > > should be around the same place in your priority list of reducing Firebrand burn-stacks and **nerfing Holosmith dmg**.

> > >

> > > Wait, wut?

> >

> > The 25% damage nerf that happened.

>

> Yeah, but that nerf was excessive, to the point that scrapper does more damage and is tankier than holosmith.

Not the purpose of this discussion.

> @Loop.8106 said:

> As of me posting this thread, the two responses we've gotten from you since PoF release is; Bugged mAT Statues and Bugged mAT timer. While these are issues, they are nothing compared to the glaring flaw that is sPvP right now. Everything from getting FC'd for 6.5k to getting condi bursted to getting one-shot by pets and nuked by pre-nerfed Firebrand. We need some feedback.

> We need to know what you're working on and we need to know it yesterday. It does not matter if you're just telling us the nerfs / buffs are coming after the season. Just tell us anything.

>

> I don't want this post to turn into another nerf this- nerf that- thread but having a Gazelle hit you for 46k in sPvP should be around the same place in your priority list of reducing Firebrand burn-stacks and nerfing Holosmith dmg.

> I understand that you can't tell us exactly what you're doing at all times or what you're changing balance wise. Just let us know that you're working on it and give us an ETA. Because Ranked queue right now is the equivelant of 10 kids with severe ADHD running around on cocaine with a couple of bazookas in each hand.

You should try to get this thread or something similar rolling on Guild Wars 2 reddit. Maybe that will attract anet or something idk...

> @Razor.6392 said:

> People it's been 9 days. Give it a rest.

We don't expect changes necessarily, just their attention. A post sharing their thoughts on the current state of spvp, what they have to say about the community's first impression of PoF, showing some statistics only they have access to, how the new classes perform compared to their original vision.

So yes if you ask me, 9 days of silence post-launch is **a lot**.

Absolutely, the lack of transparency doesn't fill me with confidence. From what I remember, balance patches come out like every few months. I mean, its one thing that there was not much of a beta to test balance before the release. But a completely separate thing that we get absolutely zero word or any kind of acknowledgement for the issues blowing up on the forums. Everytime I see someone bring up an issue about scourge or spellbreaker balance, especially in pvp, zero dev response.

Maybe they are hard at work on it, that would be great. Just let us know that is the case instead of keeping us in the dark. 9 days is a long time to be silent after an expansion release.

> @Ithilwen.1529 said:

> This is why I'm not playing ranked PvP atm. If history is a guide, we won't see changes until well after the end of this season. I expect things to begin to stabilize after the next pvp season. There will be excessive nerfs after this season.

>

>

Let's hope so. But just a small message of acknowledgement would go a long way.

So, 1 - yes there are Anet devs that pvp. I've been in more than a few games with them (and boy to do ppl tunnel vision that tag). However, of late they seem to be shutting those tags off. (Which doesn't mean anything beyond that perhaps they don't want to be wspered every 10 seconds). They do exist.

2 - Chaith is correct that the balance team and the pvp team are two different things. While they do talk to each other, the balance team tries to approach skills from an 'all around use' perspective. (Which, I don't necessarily agree with, but I do understand the general reasoning behind it). Balance takes time, and has _never_ been Anet's forte. It's something they struggled with since the beginning of the franchise, which isn't intended as a slight to any of the devs. It simply is what it is. If you think its easy to balance 9 classes with the multitude of skills, traits, synergies, etc keeping in mind interactions across 3 game modes, ur out of your damn mind. Beyond that, we don't have the bigger picture. We don't have the data generated by 100s of players using those skills / traits / etc (potentially in ways they didnt think of). It's going to take time for them to put the 10k piece puzzle together and work it all out. Unfortunately that's just how this shit works.

3 - Interaction on the forums has always been limited. Additionally there have been devs that _did_ interact on the forums, ended up getting in trouble for it, and have since stopped interacting. You realize they have a specific training that's mandatory before they can talk to us here? Personally, I think the devs could make better use of their time doing what that are hired to do. Perhaps Anet needs a 'pvp community manager' specifically to interact here, and pester the devs, but that still distracts them (to some extent) from doing their jobs.

> @Chaith.8256 said:

>

They actually did lay out their vision for each class, that was a few years back though:

**Class balance philosophies**

We normally try to employ metered and controlled balance changes with each pass, rather than huge reductions or improvements to classes. We want to get all classes on the same playing field, and we want to avoid “whack-a-mole” style balance. HUGH increases and HUGE decreases lead to meta instability, and thusly, we try to make multiple small tweaks rather than putting in massive changes that we have to later correct.

When designing and balancing the classes, we try to make sure that class roles and identities stay intact. So, in doing so, we make sure that there are rules and boundaries outlining the capabilities and weaknesses of each class.

**Warrior**

We want the Warrior to be capable of good melee damage in a sturdy body. They can still do some decent damage at range, but they aren’t as good at it as the Ranger (with their pet). They have a hard time taking enemy boons down, and instead, have to just go through them with raw force. They may have a hard time with enemy conditions, and may need to ask for ally help in order to keep themselves free of hampering conditions.

**Guardian**

The Guardian is a heavy armor class who relies on boons to make up for their low levels of innate health. They focus on area control and punishing enemies for the position on the battlefield. We want them to feel very powerful when their boons are active, but if those boons are removed, they will start to feel pressure. They can remove conditions more easily than the Warrior, but share the Warrior’s need to be in melee range to dole out maximum damage.

**Ranger**

The ranger class combines its own innate abilities with the skills of their pets. We’ve balanced the class around the idea that you always have a pet with you to aid in any fight. The fact that the ranger can have multiple pets allows them to combine their pets in ways that most impact the current fight. We want the Ranger to have some of the evasion enjoyed by the Thief, as well as the mobility other classes employ. The class is able to deal physical or condition damage, and it can do this in melee or at range.

**Engineer**

The Engineer is a highly versatile class. While it doesn’t have the long range capabilities of the Ranger, or the melee capabilities of the Warrior or Guardian, they are comfortable at medium ranges in most fights. They have a lot of control, and use their boons to keep themselves (and allies) alive in a fight. They can use different kits based on the situation, but this extreme versatility comes at a cost in damage on their main hand weapons.

**Thief**

Thieves are the masters of mobility, stealth and high single target damage. They can be very fragile if you counter their stealth with area of effects or large stacks of conditions, but they trade this fragility in order to have some of the highest burst damage in the game. They are able to help allies through traps, venoms and the mobility to flank most encounters.

**Mesmer**

Mesmers rely on illusions in order to accomplish their goals. They need illusions to accomplish some of their highest damage and control, and without the illusions, they become fairly fragile. They can deal with enemy boons better than most classes, but enemy conditions can often be a problem. They share some of the stealth and mobility that the Thief enjoys, but suffer from a low health pool if you get past all their tricks.

**Ele**

We see the elementalist as the king of versatility. The skill ceiling for the Ele is exceptional, as the ability to leverage all four attunements at the right time is crucial for understanding the elemetnalist. The Ele boasts some of the best team support and control abilities in the game, as well as some great area of effect damage.

**Necro**

The necro boasts the highest natural health of all the caster classes, and also has death shroud to extend that life total even higher. While they don’t have some of the escape or damage reduction capabilities that other classes boast, they do have a lot of ways to win attrition fights. They have access to poison on multiple weapons, they are able to combine condition damage with raw damage, and they have multiple disables to interrupt enemy skills. Necomancers also have multiple movement disabling abilities, while allows them to chase down enemies who are low on health.

**Going forward**

Tank vs spike vs physical DPS vs condie DPS. We want to keep making balance changes that allow all classes to have various builds they can use. We don’t want tanks dominating the game, and we don’t want spike builds dominating. It’s healthy to have multiple types of builds in the meta, so we’ll be improving the balance to facilitate a healthy meta.

AOE balance. We feel that in PvP some AOE builds are too strong for the opportunity cost, and we’ll be bringing those in line in the next few patches.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/updates/Game-Update-Notes-December-14-2012

> @Loop.8106 said:

> Warrior: They have a hard time taking enemy boons down, and instead, have to just go through them with raw force.

> Oh the irony.

Yeah I know, Anet tossed all of that out the window real quick. I remember waiting for that aoe nerf, but it never came. It only got worse lol.

> @masskillerxploit.2165 said:

> I 100% agree with the op about anet being completely silent. Anet just simply doesn't like us i guess :( feelsbadman. And they absolutely do not care about their PR, which hurts the sPvP population badly, since sPvP is a giant joke atm.

now that they aren't trying to make esports a thing anymore. you know how WvWers felt for the past few years

> @synergy.5809 said:

> > @masskillerxploit.2165 said:

> > I 100% agree with the op about anet being completely silent. Anet just simply doesn't like us i guess :( feelsbadman. And they absolutely do not care about their PR, which hurts the sPvP population badly, since sPvP is a giant joke atm.

>

> now that they aren't trying to make esports a thing anymore. you know how WvWers felt for the past few years

Do you mean GvGers? Because WvW got alot of changes actually.

Edit: GvG was never a supported gamemode, thus it makes sense that it was ignored by anet for years until they realized that it was an actual community. SPvP on the other hand is supposed to be fully supported by anet, they failed hard and most of the PvP population left because of that.