Constantly Lagging Out/ Disconnecting

• 2 months later...

> @"PrincessJade.9673" said:

> Im in Uk and ive had lag for the past month or so and over the past 3 days it suddenly loses connection to game client and throws me out, seems to be happening more often to like every 5 minutes or so, and then i have to close and relaunch since it jus freezes at a blank screen, and im usually jus in normal world map

I found a fix for mine after wees of searching and adjusting settings on my PC.

1.) I had AMD quickstream which limited my bandwidth connection (go to google and type "internet speed test" and run that check your bandwidth)

2.) i disabled Cortana cos it was constantly using my bandwidth and causing the game to get no connection!!

Give it a try if you have either on yours

• 3 months later...

This started happening to me today. After some research it seems it's not necessarily ANET but could be your ISP.

They recommend changing your DNS to Google's for more reliability.

Change the Primary DNS and Alternate DNS to the following.

If you are using IPv6

2001:4860:4860::8888

2001:4860:4860::8844

First and foremost...awesome game and thank you

I tried the solution Icethorn.6570 offered but it did not work for me. Will probably work for other people so I would suggest trying it out at the very least.

Game started acting weird today. Extremely laggy and even kicked me out a few times. In the form of black screen. Steam games, Destiny and Battlefield run as they usually do. But gw2 is acting weird. Never had an issue.

When I log in, I see the desktop for a bit. During this time I can hear the in-game music. Eventually the character select screen appears. I select my character and wait for it to load. While loading, I see the LA loading screen but then it switches to my desktop for a bit and then goes back to LA loading screen. When it shows me my desktop, I'm not able to click on anything there. Once the game is loaded, I can do just about anything but chat. I'm assuming it's lag. I can join an lfg fractal but can not communicate via chat.

Played for a couple hours today without a problem and then all of a sudden things went weird. I've r/r'd the game and still had the same results. Was hoping time was needed to pass and all would correct itself. Unfortunately no.

If someone can help I'd really appreciate it. I'm 1990's computer savvy but can upload or post whatever is needed. Might need a little direction. Thanks in advance.

As for chat, you may not have enabled chat options for that tab (or any tab). There's a drop-down box (or two - one for Guilds, as well) where you can tick all the different chat channels you want to converse in.

I don't know what r/r is, but if you crash and get a Crash Report to send, you can click 'Show Details' and post the very first part; someone may be able to offer assistance.

Otherwise, you can contact the Tech CS Team via the 'Support' link above/below and 'Submit a Ticket' for assistance.

Good luck.

> @"Dr Jekyl.6139" said:

> First and foremost...awesome game and thank you

>

> I tried the solution Icethorn.6570 offered but it did not work for me. Will probably work for other people so I would suggest trying it out at the very least.

>

> Game started acting weird today. Extremely laggy and even kicked me out a few times. In the form of black screen. Steam games, Destiny and Battlefield run as they usually do. But gw2 is acting weird. Never had an issue.

>

> When I log in, I see the desktop for a bit. During this time I can hear the in-game music. Eventually the character select screen appears. I select my character and wait for it to load. While loading, I see the LA loading screen but then it switches to my desktop for a bit and then goes back to LA loading screen. When it shows me my desktop, I'm not able to click on anything there. Once the game is loaded, I can do just about anything but chat. I'm assuming it's lag. I can join an lfg fractal but can not communicate via chat.

> Played for a couple hours today without a problem and then all of a sudden things went weird. I've r/r'd the game and still had the same results. Was hoping time was needed to pass and all would correct itself. Unfortunately no.

> If someone can help I'd really appreciate it. I'm 1990's computer savvy but can upload or post whatever is needed. Might need a little direction. Thanks in advance.

Try setting up Mudfish (make sure not to use full VPN). I have no choice but to use this to even play the game, have to pay for additional money to top up mudfish credits as well. It is a VPN, but you can configure it to only run for the game you play, thus not eating up all the bandwidth. If this solution works, turn it off, use pingplotter and observe where the packet lost happens. For me is the node with Telia.

> @"Azrielvon.7836" said:

> Try setting up Mudfish (make sure not to use full VPN). I have no choice but to use this to even play the game, have to pay for additional money to top up mudfish credits as well. It is a VPN, but you can configure it to only run for the game you play, thus not eating up all the bandwidth. If this solution works, turn it off, use pingplotter and observe where the packet lost happens. For me is the node with Telia.

I hope you also talked to your ISP about the issue: while I guess that Telia probably isn't the ISP, your ISP network techs can try and work with them to address the issue.

For the last three nights the lags, freezes, and disconnects have been especially severe right after the clock reset when I'm trying to do the new dailies along with crowds of other folks. It got so bad last night that I couldn't play at all, the game just locked up completely. Repairing the game client had no visible effect. Other than GW2 both my internet connection and my computer were working fine. Came back later, about 3 hours after the clock reset and the game ran smoothly for a while. Got the dailies finished and was running a new alt through the Caledon Forest without problems until the Joko invasion started there. The lags and freezes began happening again as I tried to join those fights. The problems weren't as severe as they had been right after the clock reset but this would have been about 3:30 am GMT and there were a lot less people on the EU map during that particular invasion series.

I'm not a techie at all but am wondering if my issues had to do with the number of people trying to do the same things at the same time. When the map was most crowded, the problems were the most severe. When events were less crowded, the problems were still there but were less intense. When I was running around the map by myself, the lags and freezes were barely noticable and I never disconnected at all. Also, I saw a post from last month in another disconnect thread that said the problems weren't on Anent's end because there were not widespread disconnects happening. As I browse the forum today though, I see a number of disconnect threads with a variety of problems popping up in various places like story instances, WvW, PVE events, etc. Are we sure these are not server issues on Anent's end?

> @"Chichimec.9364" said:

> For the last three nights the lags, freezes, and disconnects have been especially severe right after the clock reset. Are we sure these are not server issues on Anent's end?

Nope. We can't know where the issues you describe are coming from without testing, because there is not enough information present, and the endless battle of annecdote vs annecdote sheds no light. (eg: I don't experience this, does that mean your problem doesn't exist? Heck, no, you got a problem.)

The best way to start on that is to follow the guide at https://pingplotter.com/fix-your-network and use that to determine if there is some network issue happening, or if the issue is with the ANet servers. Once you have narrowed that down we can proceed to working toward getting it fixed. Anything else is just guesswork.

(The name of the guide is terrible; I don't think this is "your network", just that we need to eliminate network issues as a possible cause.)

> @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> Nope. We can't know where the issues you describe are coming from without testing, because there is not enough information present...The best way to start on that is to follow the guide at https://pingplotter.com/fix-your-network and use that to determine if there is some network issue happening, or if the issue is with the ANet servers. Once you have narrowed that down we can proceed to working toward getting it fixed. Anything else is just guesswork...

Thanks, I will try that.

> @"Chichimec.9364" said:

> > @"SlippyCheeze.5483" said:

> > Nope. We can't know where the issues you describe are coming from without testing, because there is not enough information present...The best way to start on that is to follow the guide at https://pingplotter.com/fix-your-network and use that to determine if there is some network issue happening, or if the issue is with the ANet servers. Once you have narrowed that down we can proceed to working toward getting it fixed. Anything else is just guesswork...

>

> Thanks, I will try that.

Feel free to follow up here if you have any problems interpreting the results. It is worth noting that the AWS network, where the servers are, doesn't send back responses, so you will always end in a chunk of 100 percent packet loss. We can still figure out if the bits *before* AWS are working, and if so, make it an ANet problem. They can yell at AWS if appropriate. ;)