How would you improve "incendiary ammo"?

Skotlex.7580

"your next three attacks cause burning", 6 seconds base, 45 seconds cooldown.

The flamethrower tool belt skill, pretty lackluster, really. Back when burning didn't stack, it sort of made sense as it allowed the flamethrower to get higher burning uptime. Currently, it works as a long-CD ranged version of blowtorch, which is pretty boring.

How could we modify this skill to make it more useful? bonus points if it helps in competitive settings (since engineer doesn't really has enough cover conditions if they are going to focus on burning as damage source).

I was thinking about it today, and I was wondering what if incendiary ammo caused all your outgoing burning applications for 10 seconds to be changed for "concentrated burning", which stacks in duration, does 200% burning damage, but lasts 33% less (basically, increased burning damage which cannot be cleansed). We already have the icon for it, use the "standing on lava" icon. :P

any other ideas?

Honestly, at the current level of power creep, that skill could have 1/2 (or even less) of its current cooldown and still not be overpowered.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the skill itself. It is a bit "boring", but it's a toolbelt skill. It's not really any more boring than surprise shot, for example.

> @"coro.3176" said:

> I don't think there's anything wrong with the skill itself. It is a bit "boring", but it's a toolbelt skill. It's not really any more boring than surprise shot, for example.

I guess that's true, many toolbelt skills are hardly anything to feel good about, though a few of them are pretty good.

that's.... sort of disappointing actually, considering that the toolbelt is the profession mechanic of engineers.

Hmm, may as well just delete the toolbelt and let engineers use kits on their F slots. :/ (since kits are probably 500% more impactful in builds than the toolbelt abilities).

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > @"coro.3176" said:

> > I don't think there's anything wrong with the skill itself. It is a bit "boring", but it's a toolbelt skill. It's not really any more boring than surprise shot, for example.

>

> I guess that's true, many toolbelt skills are hardly anything to feel good about, though a few of them are pretty good.

>

> that's.... sort of disappointing actually, considering that the toolbelt is the profession mechanic of engineers.

>

> Hmm, may as well just delete the toolbelt and let engineers use kits on their F slots. :/ (since kits are probably 500% more impactful in builds than the toolbelt abilities).

Toolbelt skills are fine. "Boring" isn't as important as function and so long as they work I don't care if they excite me or not. Many of the toolbelt skills can be useful and as such, I have no problem with them. Replacing them kits is just a bad idea that would make kits even worse than they are now. Instead of having to give up a utility slot they would all be an always-on thing and that would just nerf them further than they already are. Part of what keeps many kits from being as strong as they could be is the fact that you can carry more weapons than pretty much anyone else. If you could carry ALL of them and then have more Utility skills on top of that they would suffer further. If they were to work them into an F slot it should only be one so that Kits would formally be weapon swap and that would give them the freedom to be stronger.

Not everything needs to WOW. It just needs to work. I would push ANet more towards the useful function of them as opposed to something as subjective as boring.

> @"Dace.8173" said:

> > @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > > @"coro.3176" said:

> > > I don't think there's anything wrong with the skill itself. It is a bit "boring", but it's a toolbelt skill. It's not really any more boring than surprise shot, for example.

> >

> > I guess that's true, many toolbelt skills are hardly anything to feel good about, though a few of them are pretty good.

> >

> > that's.... sort of disappointing actually, considering that the toolbelt is the profession mechanic of engineers.

> >

> > Hmm, may as well just delete the toolbelt and let engineers use kits on their F slots. :/ (since kits are probably 500% more impactful in builds than the toolbelt abilities).

>

> Toolbelt skills are fine. "Boring" isn't as important as function and so long as they work I don't care if they excite me or not. Many of the toolbelt skills can be useful and as such, I have no problem with them. Replacing them kits is just a bad idea that would make kits even worse than they are now. Instead of having to give up a utility slot they would all be an always-on thing and that would just nerf them further than they already are. Part of what keeps many kits from being as strong as they could be is the fact that you can carry more weapons than pretty much anyone else. If you could carry ALL of them and then have more Utility skills on top of that they would suffer further. If they were to work them into an F slot it should only be one so that Kits would formally be weapon swap and that would give them the freedom to be stronger.

>

> Not everything needs to WOW. It just needs to work. I would push ANet more towards the useful function of them as opposed to something as subjective as boring.

Personally I would just give two kits to engineers as F buttons. It's just pretty hard to have balanced utilities when they compete with a whole skillset that is provided by kits.

But back on point, it's true that one doesn't has to care for the toolbelt skill if the utility is good. Unlike other classes, each selected skill comes in pairs, so it's possible to not worry about a lackluster belt skill if the utility slot is useful enough to cover it (which would be the case for most kits).

But yeah... I sort of wish many toolbelt skills would get a revamp so they don't feel like just filler. :/

> @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > @"Dace.8173" said:

> > > @"Skotlex.7580" said:

> > > > @"coro.3176" said:

> > > > I don't think there's anything wrong with the skill itself. It is a bit "boring", but it's a toolbelt skill. It's not really any more boring than surprise shot, for example.

> > >

> > > I guess that's true, many toolbelt skills are hardly anything to feel good about, though a few of them are pretty good.

> > >

> > > that's.... sort of disappointing actually, considering that the toolbelt is the profession mechanic of engineers.

> > >

> > > Hmm, may as well just delete the toolbelt and let engineers use kits on their F slots. :/ (since kits are probably 500% more impactful in builds than the toolbelt abilities).

> >

> > Toolbelt skills are fine. "Boring" isn't as important as function and so long as they work I don't care if they excite me or not. Many of the toolbelt skills can be useful and as such, I have no problem with them. Replacing them kits is just a bad idea that would make kits even worse than they are now. Instead of having to give up a utility slot they would all be an always-on thing and that would just nerf them further than they already are. Part of what keeps many kits from being as strong as they could be is the fact that you can carry more weapons than pretty much anyone else. If you could carry ALL of them and then have more Utility skills on top of that they would suffer further. If they were to work them into an F slot it should only be one so that Kits would formally be weapon swap and that would give them the freedom to be stronger.

> >

> > Not everything needs to WOW. It just needs to work. I would push ANet more towards the useful function of them as opposed to something as subjective as boring.

>

> Personally I would just give two kits to engineers as F buttons. It's just pretty hard to have balanced utilities when they compete with a whole skillset that is provided by kits.

>

> But back on point, it's true that one doesn't has to care for the toolbelt skill if the utility is good. Unlike other classes, each selected skill comes in pairs, so it's possible to not worry about a lackluster belt skill if the utility slot is useful enough to cover it (which would be the case for most kits).

>

> But yeah... I sort of wish many toolbelt skills would get a revamp so they don't feel like just filler. :/

Something I've been wanting for years is a weaponswap for "free" (the flaw being that you dont get the Fx skill for it and its on the regular 9s cd). Ie you can equip p/p/toolkit and still have your choice of heal+3 skills+elite (with the weaponswap kit being unselectable).

It would make the engie so much more customizable and give every engie at least 1 kit. Straight up buff.

But alas, we can dream on. Because purity of purpose probably means the holo will loose all its blast finishers next balance patch and scrapper gyros become stationary turrets or something.