We will miss you Fractal Ben.

zealex.9410

> @"Wade.2597" said:

> > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > Can we have him back ?

> >

> > I'll glady give any one of the "Gem Store" artist for him.

>

> I will give any 3 "Gem Store" artists to get him back.

Don't be a jerk to game artists, please. Artists in any industry already have rough job prospects and remuneration despite how much effort goes into their work.

This is not a zero sum issue, don't treat it like one.

My mount skins, my exalted gloves/backpack, some gorgeous outfits like Lyssa's or Braham's set or my crystalline dragon wings are as much part of my entertainment in this game as are my participation in raids and fractals.

> @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > @"Wade.2597" said:

> > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > Can we have him back ?

> > >

> > > I'll glady give any one of the "Gem Store" artist for him.

> >

> > I will give any 3 "Gem Store" artists to get him back.

>

> Don't be a jerk to game artists, please. Artists in any industry already have rough job prospects and remuneration despite how much effort goes into their work.

>

> This is not a zero sum issue, don't treat it like one.

>

> My mount skins, my exalted gloves/backpack, some gorgeous outfits like Lyssa's or Braham's set or my crystalline dragon wings are as much part of my entertainment in this game as are my participation in raids and fractals.

Well said. Ben will be dearly missed, but you don't tear other people down to build someone else up.

> @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> > @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > > @"Wade.2597" said:

> > > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > > Can we have him back ?

> > > >

> > > > I'll glady give any one of the "Gem Store" artist for him.

> > >

> > > I will give any 3 "Gem Store" artists to get him back.

> >

> > Don't be a jerk to game artists, please. Artists in any industry already have rough job prospects and remuneration despite how much effort goes into their work.

> >

> > This is not a zero sum issue, don't treat it like one.

> >

> > My mount skins, my exalted gloves/backpack, some gorgeous outfits like Lyssa's or Braham's set or my crystalline dragon wings are as much part of my entertainment in this game as are my participation in raids and fractals.

>

> Well said. Ben will be dearly missed, but you don't tear other people down to build someone else up.

i think s/he is not literally running around with some "gem store" artist on chains available for a trade. Sometimes you treat a joke (no matter if its a good one or a bad on) as it is...a joke.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> > > @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > > > @"Wade.2597" said:

> > > > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > > > Can we have him back ?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'll glady give any one of the "Gem Store" artist for him.

> > > >

> > > > I will give any 3 "Gem Store" artists to get him back.

> > >

> > > Don't be a jerk to game artists, please. Artists in any industry already have rough job prospects and remuneration despite how much effort goes into their work.

> > >

> > > This is not a zero sum issue, don't treat it like one.

> > >

> > > My mount skins, my exalted gloves/backpack, some gorgeous outfits like Lyssa's or Braham's set or my crystalline dragon wings are as much part of my entertainment in this game as are my participation in raids and fractals.

> >

> > Well said. Ben will be dearly missed, but you don't tear other people down to build someone else up.

>

> i think s/he is not literally running around with some "gem store" artist on chains available for a trade. Sometimes you treat a joke (no matter if its a good one or a bad on) as it is...a joke.

> @"sigur.9453" said:

> > @"CETheLucid.3964" said:

> > > > @"Wade.2597" said:

> > > > > @"TexZero.7910" said:

> > > > > Can we have him back ?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'll glady give any one of the "Gem Store" artist for him.

> > > >

> > > > I will give any 3 "Gem Store" artists to get him back.

> > >

> > > Don't be a jerk to game artists, please. Artists in any industry already have rough job prospects and remuneration despite how much effort goes into their work.

> > >

> > > This is not a zero sum issue, don't treat it like one.

> > >

> > > My mount skins, my exalted gloves/backpack, some gorgeous outfits like Lyssa's or Braham's set or my crystalline dragon wings are as much part of my entertainment in this game as are my participation in raids and fractals.

> >

> > Well said. Ben will be dearly missed, but you don't tear other people down to build someone else up.

>

> i think s/he is not literally running around with some "gem store" artist on chains available for a trade. Sometimes you treat a joke (no matter if its a good one or a bad on) as it is...a joke.

But the implication behind said joke is that you trade something unimportant for Ben who's actually immensely more valuable (enough to warrant replacing 3 people as the joke).

The point I made is that gem skin artists are not as trivial as the joke implies.

> @"Zenith.7301" said:

>

> But the implication behind said joke is that you trade something unimportant for Ben who's actually immensely more valuable (enough to warrant replacing 3 people as the joke).

>

> The point I made is that gem skin artists are not as trivial as the joke implies.

I disagree, to me the joke reads that gem store content is worthless, not the artists. No one is talking about the artists who make skins for new living story episodes. Even the artists who made legendary armor, which has well known and documented problems that affect the people specifically in this forum, are left out of the conversation. The gem store descriptor is added specifically to emphasize this joke is about Anet's prioritization of gemstore content over the alleged 6 raids per year.

> @"thrag.9740" said:

> > @"Zenith.7301" said:

> >

> > But the implication behind said joke is that you trade something unimportant for Ben who's actually immensely more valuable (enough to warrant replacing 3 people as the joke).

> >

> > The point I made is that gem skin artists are not as trivial as the joke implies.

>

> I disagree, to me the joke reads that gem store content is worthless, not the artists. No one is talking about the artists who make skins for new living story episodes. Even the artists who made legendary armor, which has well known and documented problems that affect the people specifically in this forum, are left out of the conversation. The gem store descriptor is added specifically to emphasize this joke is about Anet's prioritization of gemstore content over the alleged 6 raids per year.

With obvious reasons, given that raids don't offer a steady stream of income to the developer despite taking massively more resources and the coordination of teams to put out.

But since people are so pigheaded about not paying $15/month as if it were some terrible debt despite the fact they happily pay the same for Netflix or HBO and spend just that on a single use movie ticket or restaurant plate they crap out in a few hours later, this is the content delivery prioritization model you get from a game with no subscription.

There is not a single F2P/B2P that will have the content cadence and in-game reward provision relative to sub games, it's that simple.

Perhaps if GW2 did something ala GW1 where they would sell the raid/living story expansions for x amount of gems and then all cosmetics would be included with that product instead of separate, you might have much better product cadence.

> @"Zenith.7301" said:

> > @"thrag.9740" said:

> > >

> > > But the implication behind said joke is that you trade something unimportant for Ben who's actually immensely more valuable (enough to warrant replacing 3 people as the joke).

> > >

> > > The point I made is that gem skin artists are not as trivial as the joke implies.

> >

> > I disagree, to me the joke reads that gem store content is worthless, not the artists. No one is talking about the artists who make skins for new living story episodes. Even the artists who made legendary armor, which has well known and documented problems that affect the people specifically in this forum, are left out of the conversation. The gem store descriptor is added specifically to emphasize this joke is about Anet's prioritization of gemstore content over the alleged 6 raids per year.

>

> With obvious reasons, given that raids don't offer a steady stream of income to the developer despite taking massively more resources and the coordination of teams to put out.

>

> But since people are so pigheaded about not paying $15/month as if it were some terrible debt despite the fact they happily pay the same for Netflix or HBO and spend just that on a single use movie ticket or restaurant plate they kitten out in a few hours later, this is the content delivery prioritization model you get from a game with no subscription.

>

> There is not a single F2P/B2P that will have the content cadence and in-game reward provision relative to sub games, it's that simple.

>

> Perhaps if GW2 did something ala GW1 where they would sell the raid/living story expansions for x amount of gems and then all cosmetics would be included with that product instead of separate, you might have much better product cadence.

Sure but none of that changes the fact that the joke wasn't really targeted at the artists, but rather the system they are forced to operate within. Your just changing the topic to avoid addressing that issue.

> @"thrag.9740" said:

> Sure but none of that changes the fact that the joke wasn't really targeted at the artists, but rather the system they are forced to operate within. Your just changing the topic to avoid addressing that issue.

As the person responsible for this i feel it's important to clarify that yes the joke was based on prioritization of the game and not the job being done.

Both jobs are equally important.

It's also to point out how invaluable Ben was as a dev during his run. He communicated in a fashion that was almost unparalled which is why him stepping aside was a souring experience.