[Suggestion] AFKing at spawn

ThomasC.1056

> @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

>

> Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

Instead of trying to give the perfect amount of pips, give a set minimum amount of pips (loyalty+level) times the number of skirmishes that you would have collected had you instead went afk.

Ignore outmanned bonus, placement bonus or just default placement to 3rd.

As for locking out players, make it so a player has to play one full skirmish before they can cash out.

That's a small price to pay for the convenience of collecting immediately.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

>

> Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

I don't think it would be that big of an issue. My time is pretty valuable to me so I never sit around idly waiting for participation to dwindle down. As a result I lose rewards every single time I play WvW. Cashing out would be fantastic in my opinion. Even reduced rewards would be great, allowing people that have better things to do besides sit in spawn to collect some bonus loot before they log. I think most people would take whatever rewards they were offered and move on instead of sitting in spawn doing nothing.

>

While I like the idea of cashing out best because AFKing shouldn't really ever be encouraged, it makes sense that this is challenging.

That said, is there a specific reason the participation can't continue to tick down after leaving WvW? This seems like the simplest solution.

> @"Ardent Heretic.8216" said:

> > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

> >

> > Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

>

> While I like the idea of cashing out best because AFKing shouldn't really ever be encouraged, it makes sense that this is challenging.

>

> That said, is there a specific reason the participation can't continue to tick down after leaving WvW? This seems like the simplest solution.

People would double dip rewards.

> @"Dusty Moon.4382" said:

> > @diamondgirl.6315 said:

> > I'd rather we and Arenanet spend more time getting people engaged in the mode by teaching them play and cleaning up the quality of play, rather than by punishing people who may not even be doing anything 'wrong.'

> >

> >

>

> Problem is those AFK'ers take positions that could be used by people WANTING to play WvW. It just means less active players on the map.

That is a point, especially when the map is queued.

> @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > @"Ardent Heretic.8216" said:

> > > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > > > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

> > >

> > > Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

> >

> > While I like the idea of cashing out best because AFKing shouldn't really ever be encouraged, it makes sense that this is challenging.

> >

> > That said, is there a specific reason the participation can't continue to tick down after leaving WvW? This seems like the simplest solution.

>

> People would double dip rewards.

Perhaps active participation in another mode stops the tick, then?

>

You are making it sound harder then it is. You just add two simple rules to cashing out. First you only receive the minimum number of pips. For example, no outnumbered bonus and as if your server was in last place. Second you simply make the time out duration equal to twice the amount of time they received when cashing out or a interval of multiple of one or more hours similar to how the dishonor time out works in pvp. You have already made the participation decay take 14 minutes. We know that you don't receive pips at a participation at less then tier 3, so you can use the time to decay that low as the basis for when you cash out. Don't bother with the reward tracks if you feel that makes it to complicated.

As I don't know how you coding works I can't argue how difficult it would be to implement. But as stated before with the dishonor system, similar systems already exist so I know you are capable of making it work. The math of how to implement it is relatively simple.

> @Pyroatheist.9031 said:

>

> I'd implement it so that cashing out gives a minor bonus compared to what it would normally be, but puts a multiple hour lockout on pip accumulation. This implementation would incentivize players to cash out when they're actually done with WvW for the night, plus a little bonus because why not? You wouldn't get people spamming it all the time due to the lockout period, so that would cleanly fix all of the problems you brought up.

The only thing I don't like about that idea is that sometimes I play when I get home from work, take a break for dinner, and then come back for evening play. I can't be the only person who does that. A multiple hour lockout would hamper that somewhat.

> @"Ardent Heretic.8216" said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @"Ardent Heretic.8216" said:

> > > > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > > > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > > > > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

> > > >

> > > > Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

> > >

> > > While I like the idea of cashing out best because AFKing shouldn't really ever be encouraged, it makes sense that this is challenging.

> > >

> > > That said, is there a specific reason the participation can't continue to tick down after leaving WvW? This seems like the simplest solution.

> >

> > People would double dip rewards.

>

> Perhaps active participation in another mode stops the tick, then?

That would do it, but not sure about the difficulty for programming.

> > @"Ardent Heretic.8216" said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @"Ardent Heretic.8216" said:

> > > > > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > > > > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > > > > > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

> > > > >

> > > > > Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

> > > >

> > > > While I like the idea of cashing out best because AFKing shouldn't really ever be encouraged, it makes sense that this is challenging.

> > > >

> > > > That said, is there a specific reason the participation can't continue to tick down after leaving WvW? This seems like the simplest solution.

> > >

> > > People would double dip rewards.

> >

> > Perhaps active participation in another mode stops the tick, then?

>

> That would do it, but not sure about the difficulty for programming.

I can't say, but the infrastructure is there. They measure active participation in WvW, so I would think they could track it in other modes. Wishful thinking, maybe.

> @Farout.8207 said:

>

> > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

> >

> > Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

>

> I don't think it would be that big of an issue. My time is pretty valuable to me so I never sit around idly waiting for participation to dwindle down. As a result I lose rewards every single time I play WvW. Cashing out would be fantastic in my opinion. Even reduced rewards would be great, allowing people that have better things to do besides sit in spawn to collect some bonus loot before they log. I think most people would take whatever rewards they were offered and move on instead of sitting in spawn doing nothing.

That's very noble of you, but I'm afraid lots of people don't work that way. There're many players throughout game modes that want to max the rewards. The issue with a "minimal cashout" option is those players will calculate how much they can anticipate through staying (because of intermittent outnumbered bonus, or server ticking silver), and if the cashout option is less rewarding, they'll just AFK at spawn because it rewards more. So the issue wouldn't be solved. And it's not really a good thing to enforce a "cash out or just leave" option...

> @ThomasC.1056 said:

> > @Farout.8207 said:

> >

> > > @"McKenna Berdrow.2759" said:

> > > > @Swamurabi.7890 said:

> > > > How about automatically cashing out your participation when you exit?

> > >

> > > Cashing out has a lot of issues. For example, we would somehow need to make cashing out be exactly as good as the rewards you would get if you were still playing. If it does not give as good of rewards no one would do it and still afk, and if we make it too good then everyone would just constantly cash out. It is impossible to predict all the rewards someone would be expected to earn because we cannot predict if a map will become outnumbered or if your world moves placements. We also wouldn’t want people to constantly cash out, so then we would need to accurately lock them out of WvW for a set period of time. The period of time would probably need to be longer than just the amount of time it would take to decay because otherwise it could still be more ideal to play a little, cash out go back, repeat. We have considered it, we just don’t believe it is a viable option.

> >

> > I don't think it would be that big of an issue. My time is pretty valuable to me so I never sit around idly waiting for participation to dwindle down. As a result I lose rewards every single time I play WvW. Cashing out would be fantastic in my opinion. Even reduced rewards would be great, allowing people that have better things to do besides sit in spawn to collect some bonus loot before they log. I think most people would take whatever rewards they were offered and move on instead of sitting in spawn doing nothing.

>

> That's very noble of you, but I'm afraid lots of people don't work that way. There're many players throughout game modes that want to max the rewards. The issue with a "minimal cashout" option is those players will calculate how much they can anticipate through staying (because of intermittent outnumbered bonus, or server ticking silver), and if the cashout option is less rewarding, they'll just AFK at spawn because it rewards more. So the issue wouldn't be solved. And it's not really a good thing to enforce a "cash out or just leave" option...

I disagree that the "minimal cashout " wouldn't be a viable solution. There are some people that might stay with even with a minimal cash out option, there are also people that would still afk in wvw even before the pip system was introduced. More people however would probably use the saved time from cashing out vs afking and make up that lose of a few pips vs afking by harvesting some nodes or opening chests in meta maps.

>

The lockout to avoid gaming the system is definitely a problem. But I don't see a problem with just giving people the base number of pips that they would have gained over those next few ticks when they leave? When cashing out, give them pips as if their server was in last place, and they were not outnumbered. This obviously means that it could be worse than just waiting it out, but on the flipside, I'm willing to bet that a significant portion of people won't care that much if it means they don't have to just AFK for 10-15 minutes to get these extra pips that they did earn. Sure, a few people might stay in and wait it out, but probably many fewer than currently do that, so the problem is made smaller, and people are still being rewarded for their participation level.

> @diamondgirl.6315 said:

> > @Pyroatheist.9031 said:

> >

> > I'd implement it so that cashing out gives a minor bonus compared to what it would normally be, but puts a multiple hour lockout on pip accumulation. This implementation would incentivize players to cash out when they're actually done with WvW for the night, plus a little bonus because why not? You wouldn't get people spamming it all the time due to the lockout period, so that would cleanly fix all of the problems you brought up.

>

> The only thing I don't like about that idea is that sometimes I play when I get home from work, take a break for dinner, and then come back for evening play. I can't be the only person who does that. A multiple hour lockout would hamper that somewhat.

You're definitely not the only one. Honestly, I think locking anyone out of any gametype for a certain amount of time is a bad idea. (Unless they cheated of course)

Just give the cashout participation max with a lockout for twelve hours once every twelve hours. This prevents people who don't intend to actually play WvW from really gaming the system, but gets people leaving the mode quicker and letting more people enjoy it, while also making placement/server status actually reflective of game hours spent playing and not afk'ing.

Anyone really interested in WvW will prefer to have faster queues, and people not into WvW just doing it for pips can just make it a small daily which at the very least gets people into the maps.

> @Blodeuyn.2751 said:

> > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > @Blodeuyn.2751 said:

> > > Move afking to EOTM for those who want to run their participation out. Those maps will spawn new instances if full.

> >

> > But not get pips. OS is where to go.

>

> That's what I meant, sorry.

i am as well.. My comment came out as snarky...

I don't believe AFKing is the main problem here. Its a symptom of a bigger problem. Those that put them self's to AFK to get the little bit of a reward is a symptom and can be fixed with a one time use per skirmish pip cash out NPC. The big problem is those that choose to AFK on a map that is queued. To fix this problem I would make all territories that you're server owns put decay on participation at the end of each 5 minute match. This well incentivise people to engage enemy's in enemy territories then their own territories. This ultimately enforces those that want more rewards have to take more risks. This will spread out population balance by incentivising zones people don't commonly go to. This fix would discourage people that multi-box leaving an account to watch a fortification while playing with ally's on another account. Implementing such a fix wouldn't hamper people defending fortifications because of how participation is gained by hitting enemy's but it will hamper those that hang out in safe territories as it should. Unless a commander puts share squad participation on one person to be their scout. As for all zones being queued up you might want to think about changing servers. :open_mouth: who would of thought of that one, only a genius........ Look no further!

> @Lionwait.4815 said:

> I don't believe AFKing is the main problem here. Its a symptom of a bigger problem. Those that put them self's to AFK to get the little bit of a reward is a symptom and can be fixed with a one time use per skirmish pip cash out NPC. The big problem is those that choose to AFK on a map that is queued. To fix this problem I would make all territories that you're server owns put decay on participation at the end of each 5 minute match. This well incentivise people to engage enemy's in enemy territories then their own territories. This ultimately enforces those that want more rewards have to take more risks. This will spread out population balance by incentivising zones people don't commonly go to. This fix would discourage people that multi-box leaving an account to watch a fortification while playing with ally's on another account. Implementing such a fix wouldn't hamper people defending fortifications because of how participation is gained by hitting enemy's but it will hamper those that hang out in safe territories as it should. Unless a commander puts share squad participation on one person to be their scout. As for all zones being queued up you might want to think about changing servers. :open_mouth: who would of thought of that one, only a genius........ Look no further!

>

>

Which does absolutely nothing to help with the issue of people going AFK.

> @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > @Lionwait.4815 said:

> > I don't believe AFKing is the main problem here. Its a symptom of a bigger problem. Those that put them self's to AFK to get the little bit of a reward is a symptom and can be fixed with a one time use per skirmish pip cash out NPC. The big problem is those that choose to AFK on a map that is queued. To fix this problem I would make all territories that you're server owns put decay on participation at the end of each 5 minute match. This well incentivise people to engage enemy's in enemy territories then their own territories. This ultimately enforces those that want more rewards have to take more risks. This will spread out population balance by incentivising zones people don't commonly go to. This fix would discourage people that multi-box leaving an account to watch a fortification while playing with ally's on another account. Implementing such a fix wouldn't hamper people defending fortifications because of how participation is gained by hitting enemy's but it will hamper those that hang out in safe territories as it should. Unless a commander puts share squad participation on one person to be their scout. As for all zones being queued up you might want to think about changing servers. :open_mouth: who would of thought of that one, only a genius........ Look no further!

> >

> >

>

> Which does absolutely nothing to help with the issue of people going AFK.

You're in luck! That this posted isn't made for your eyes alone. But to others that can understand a deeper issue at hand that gives cos to bad habits. The bad habit is the main topic of this post. With my post reply I suggest is a system to fix a cos to deter this habit.

Right now you are just calling out fire and doing nothing to put out that fire. You shout out awareness with out giving action. Sure awareness has its place but when every one is aware then action is needed.

1+1=2 basic math helps but advance math changes the world. Comprender?

> > @Blodeuyn.2751 said:

> > > @"Strider Pj.2193" said:

> > > > @Blodeuyn.2751 said:

> > > > Move afking to EOTM for those who want to run their participation out. Those maps will spawn new instances if full.

> > >

> > > But not get pips. OS is where to go.

> >

> > That's what I meant, sorry.

>

> i am as well.. My comment came out as snarky...

>

>

No worries! :)

> @Lionwait.4815 said:

> > @"Drarnor Kunoram.5180" said:

> > > @Lionwait.4815 said:

> > > I don't believe AFKing is the main problem here. Its a symptom of a bigger problem. Those that put them self's to AFK to get the little bit of a reward is a symptom and can be fixed with a one time use per skirmish pip cash out NPC. The big problem is those that choose to AFK on a map that is queued. To fix this problem I would make all territories that you're server owns put decay on participation at the end of each 5 minute match. This well incentivise people to engage enemy's in enemy territories then their own territories. This ultimately enforces those that want more rewards have to take more risks. This will spread out population balance by incentivising zones people don't commonly go to. This fix would discourage people that multi-box leaving an account to watch a fortification while playing with ally's on another account. Implementing such a fix wouldn't hamper people defending fortifications because of how participation is gained by hitting enemy's but it will hamper those that hang out in safe territories as it should. Unless a commander puts share squad participation on one person to be their scout. As for all zones being queued up you might want to think about changing servers. :open_mouth: who would of thought of that one, only a genius........ Look no further!

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Which does absolutely nothing to help with the issue of people going AFK.

>

> You're in luck! That this posted isn't made for your eyes alone. But to others that can understand a deeper issue at hand that gives cos to bad habits. The bad habit is the main topic of this post. With my post reply I suggest is a system to fix a cos to deter this habit.

>

> Right now you are just calling out fire and doing nothing to put out that fire. You shout out awareness with out giving action. Sure awareness has its place but when every one is aware then action is needed.

>

> 1+1=2 basic math helps but advance math changes the world. Comprender?

>

Nice condescending tone you got going there. There is absolutely no need to address anyone voicing their opinion like that.

Regardless of that though it seems to me that what you're proposing would only encourage people to flip objectives and not fortify or defend them. After all their participation will decay fast if they stick around in owned zones. Unless you're in a squad and get the commander to give you shared participation your participation would be dead pretty fast if you're scouting or fortifying objectives, after all enemy players aren't always kind enough to drop dead at your feet.

I'm also unsure of why you feel your system would be more effective against afking than the suggested cash out option. I personally afk on low pop maps because I need my rewards. I'm by no means a rich person and every time I log off with participation left on the bar I feel it's a waste. I put in the effort to build that up after all, I deserve the reward it's worth in my opinion. Making it harder to keep that participation up would not change the fact that I feel I shouldn't log off without cashing in that reward. If anything I had to put in more effort and deserve it doubly.

As to your changing server suggestion. Depending on what server you're matched up with you may or you may not experience queues. Last matchup my server barely had any. This matchup we have 20+ queues every night. It changes so paying to switch servers every time you get a match up that results in queues is a dumb idea. This besides the point that that person probably has friends and guildies on that server that they enjoy playing with. Personally I wouldn't leave my server for the world, unless they did as well.