AMD 1700x vs. i5 9600k ?

Hello guys,

I'm thinking of upgrading my system, and I can't seem to decide between which processor to go for (see CPU spec below). I've looked at benchmark tests and both CPU seems to come pretty close. While they are overall very close to one another. i5 seems to perform slightly better for video games within the 5-10% range. I wouldn't care much for a 5-10% performance difference. However, I know that GW2 is highly CPU based, so I'm thinking would that be a 5-10% difference or more like a 10-20% difference depending on the CPU that I choose. Cause, I could really use the +10fps boost I guess, especially for WvW.

Then come the other problem, what about streaming, is 6 core really enough?

Last, I'm mostly considering the R7 1700x as it was featured in Gamers Nexus entry level gaming PC / streaming rig, however as you can see they mostly had Fortnite in mind, so I'm not sure how much that's relevant for GW2.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/pc-builds/3404-mid-range-gaming-pc-build-for-fortnite-streaming

AMD R7 1700x

https://www.amd.com/en/products/cpu/amd-ryzen-7-1700x

8core, 16 threads, 16MB L3 cache

3.4GHz base clock (3.8GHz turbo)

OC 3.9-4GHz all core (4.1 might be possible but I've read it's advised not to)

Intel i5 9600k

https://www.intel.co.uk/content/www/uk/en/products/processors/core/i5-processors/i5-9600k.html

6core, 6 threads, 9MB L3 cache

3.7GHz base clock (4.6GHz turbo)

OC (pushable to 5-5.2GHz it seems, but I'm not sure i'd go above 4.8GHz or OC it at all)

I have the i5, i get around 60-80 fps in busy maps, up to 130 fps in low pop maps, and 30-50 fps in LA, WvW.

Cant give you any insight regarding the AMD chip, but in theory it would perform slightly better .

Saying that, in most other cases the intel chip is going to be better

Simply put, if you want the best performance in this game then the i5-9600k is the better choice due to better per-core performance. With that said, I'm running a 1700X myself and it performs quite well in GW2, including WvW. When I bought the CPU I was aware of the slightly few fps in games but I do more than just gaming so it was worth the trade off.

The 16 threads on the 1700X make it the better choice for intensive multithreaded tasks such as video editing and compiling source code/programming but sadly not the best for GW2. Maybe Ryzen 3xxx series will :)

> @"ZerotheFang.5890" said:

> i would go with the 3.7ghz one cause most games are in that range and ones coming out are currently around 3.6ghz. i run i7-9600k which is 3.6ghz game really well. also try get a SSD and load it on that makes game load fast.

Just a minor correction - Clock speed doesn't reflect how well a processor performs, otherwise we might as well start saying old cpu's running at 3.x GHZ to be almost as fast as current ones, which would be an incorrect statement.