Serious Post about Warkitty.

sephiroth.4217

> @"Farout.8207" said:

> > @"oOStaticOo.9467" said:

> > > @"Celsith.2753" said:

> > > gank

> > > v.

> > >

> > > by 2000 as the verb to describe a situation of many players or NPCs attacking one; gamer slang, perhaps borrowed from hip-hop and drug-abuse slang (where it is attested by 1995 in the sense of "to rob, to rip off"); perhaps by 1990 in sports jargon. Of unknown origin; perhaps ultimately based on gang. Related: Ganked ; ganking .

> > >

> > > Trawling through all the various dictionaries til you find the one that suits your own definition is fun!

> > >

> >

> > Only I pulled mine from the Oxford Dictionary. So....

>

> So, is the Oxford Dictionary the premier source for understanding gaming vernacular? Probably not...

I guess we could go with something official or just make it up........

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i am in lane in a MOBA and i kill my lane opponent, lets say from stealth, is that a gank? Or is it a gank when i as the jungler come to +1 them and kill them outnumbered? Think about it, explains itself. Genre where the word gank is used the most.

If i attack someone that is low on HP with a high quality gun while they have a shit gun in a BR game is that a gank? They didn't want to fight and i caught them when weak, underhanded tactics, or is that just open world PvP present in the gamemode?

If i snipe you off your dino in ARK, then come to finish the job, is that a gank? Also no, even though you where just gathering and had no intention to fight, it is either raiding or grieving, but not ganking, unless you are one of those that spawnkills newbies with a rex on the beaches with your friends.

Heck, in most MMO's the only thing considered ganking is killing low level players.

> @"Anput.4620" said:

> If i am in lane in a MOBA and i kill my lane opponent, lets say from stealth, is that a gank? Or is it a gank when i as the jungler come to +1 them and kill them outnumbered? Think about it, explains itself. Genre where the word gank is used the most.

>

> If i attack someone that is low on HP with a high quality gun while they have a kitten gun in a BR game is that a gank? They didn't want to fight and i caught them when weak, underhanded tactics, or is that just open world PvP present in the gamemode?

>

> If i snipe you off your dino in ARK, then come to finish the job, is that a gank? Also no, even though you where just gathering and had no intention to fight, it is either raiding or grieving, but not ganking, unless you are one of those that spawnkills newbies with a rex on the beaches with your friends.

>

> Heck, in most MMO's the only thing considered ganking is killing low level players.

Don't get lost in semantics here; how anyone defines 'roaming' or 'ganking' is irrelevant. The mounts simply encourage players into a way of playing that is more inline with the objectives of WvW. I can be certain Anet didn't sit around a table and say to themselves they needed to introduce mounts because of 'ganking' because frankly, that doesn't make any sense in the first place given all the abilities and possibilities for how Warclaw works and how complicated it is as a solution to 'ganking' to begin with.