Please stop adding new achievements to old content

> @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > @"maddoctor.2738" said:

> > > > @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

> > > > If someone has 30k+ ap it most likely means they were around during season 1. Season 1 absolutely drowned people in AP. And it's all AP that is gone now, unavailable for anyone who missed it.

> > >

> > > Yes because those 1926 AP that the entire LS1 gave us is "drowning people with AP"

> >

> > Where are you getting that number? It is at least over 2k ap from that season that can't be obtained now. That's more AP than either of the expansions added (unless you count the LS following the expansion as part of the expansion).

>

> gw2efficiency had all the AP available until the most recent API purge. I have them all in an excel file that I made when S2 was first released and this argument of "LS1 gave way more AP" first appeared. Usually given by people with no actual knowledge of the AP numbers.

The problem is, you're not counting the festivals and other events that happened during LS1 (at least i dont think you do). The people that werent playing the game during that time didnt magicaly get the ap from the festivals, wvw seasons and soo on, so the actual number of temporary ap is alot higher, 4000ap by the word of that specific reddit post.

When people say "LS1 ap", they dont mean just from actual LS releases, they mean **all of the events/updates** that happened during that time.

If a player starts playing the game now, did he miss out only on 2k ap during that time ?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The OP's argument seems to rely on the idea that the only reason the annual achievements exist is to incentivise people to replay content that they wouldn't replay otherwise. I think that's false. Here are two other reasons I can think of for those achievements to exist:

* So that players who actively want to replay SAB (for fun) get some rewards for doing so.

* To give players who are replaying SAB some extra sense of direction when doing so.

The first point is highly relevant in a community in which many people care about rewards and efficient use of time - otherwise those players would feel like they're "wasting time" playing content they enjoy rather than content that gives rewards.

For me, the second point is the most relevant: I'd be replaying SAB anyway since I enjoy it, but I can't play the whole thing at once, and the annual and daily achievements help me decide which parts I'm going to play. (Of course, I assume the OP is also opposed to daily achievements of all kinds, since they give rewards for replaying content.)

> @"Dalec.9853" said:

> I can't understand why it is a good thing the reason to revisit content is because they added a new achievement that is basically the same as one you already did when you first did it. Shouldn't it because you'd have fun doing so only, it's a game after all.

I agree that fun should be the primary motivation for playing a game, and I find some people's obsession with rewards quite hard to relate to - but that doesn't mean that rewards shouldn't exist. Also, I think it's hypocritical of you to suggest that fun should be the only motivation for doing something, when your argument relies heavily on the fact that you're an AP completionist. How come you're allowed to be motivated by AP, but everyone else must be motivated only by the desire to have fun?

The idea that there should be no rewards for repeating content seems to me to have some problematic implications. For starters, it implies that daily achievements shouldn't exist (or at least shouldn't give rewards if you've done them before.) It also implies that achievements like Agent of Entropy shouldn't be repeatable; in fact, Agent of Entropy shouldn't exist at all, since it requires you to salvage 500 items, thus repeating the action of salvaging something 499 times - it should just give a reward for the first salvage. The same applies to the Slayer achievements - there should just be an achievement for killing one Bandit, one Bat, one Centaur, etc. And why only apply this to AP? Why should I get loot or experience for killing a Bandit (or whatever) when I've already killed one? You get the idea...

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> I imagine it only applies to things one doesn't find 'fun'. =/

This.

I personally enjoy having achievements and new approaches added to existing content. Especially since this minimum effort for implementation can net maximum results.

To argue that more unique or new content would be better makers no sense. Obviously new content (like say a world 3 for SAB) is better, but it's not competing in resources with some new achievements. It takes way more resources to develop this new content.

If you are so opposed to rerunning the old content, do the achievements and be done with it. See it as free and easy AP which take a few minutes to do. This year it's a few new races only 1 of which is annoying (world 2-3 due to its implementation and the inability to return as well as not well explained race port mechanics). Feel free to ignore the content again afterwards.

The annual 50 AP achievement is even easier and takes maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Complete infantile mode and normal mode and you are done.

There is absolutely incentive and reason to encourage people to revisit old content even if they originally might not have intended too.

> @"Mewcifer.5198" said:

>

I got the data from API, they got it from the wiki, there might be inconsistencies, although the more probable cause for the difference is that we count different things as "season AP" and "festival AP".

However, if you want to get more in-depth, the average per month AP gain during Season 1 was 384 AP while the average per month AP gain during Season 3 is 361 AP (up to SAB 2018, using that reddit post data). That's not the gigantic difference in AP gain as some are claiming.

> @"Glider.5792" said:

> When people say "LS1 ap", they dont mean just from actual LS releases, they mean **all of the events/updates** that happened during that time.

> If a player starts playing the game now, did he miss out only on 2k ap during that time ?

I'm not disputing newer players missing a lot of AP, because they do. But a great number of what they are missing is from Festivals and judging by the most recent one, Arenanet will continue adding temporary achievements in Festivals forever, that won't change. The Annual Nostalgia achievement is misleading, although it's not "temporary", if you miss it this year, you will be missing those AP until 2039, provided you finish it every single year until then. This is why I don't count the festivals and only actual Season 1 AP, the festivals are still, to this day, temporary AP