Should Skyscale have unrestricted flight?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Allowing unlimited flight would basically invalidate maps. They even somewhat addressed it in their recent stream about the mount. In Anet's eyes, they don't want people to be able to just fly up and over everything and not interact with the terrain. And I agree with that.

I agree it needs some improvements, like the wall cling not being a clunky automatic thing, but I do not want to see unrestricted flight.

Kinda Yes. I wish you had added an OTHER to the poll. Since I don't care if it has unrestiricted flying I just wish it could maintain the height even when the flight meter runs out (If you don't have any red on your bar) Otherwise its just a weirdly mechnic based griffin. Cause at that point its another glider and not really to much of a helicopter its like a really really really bad jetpack with glider mechanics. though I love the look of them. But the decend that is glider is just....very annoying

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > I'm against any form of powercreeping that makes older content obsolete (other mounts in this case). And that's what this would be, unerestricted flight would make it the default mount for almost everything. At least elite specs have the xpac sales excuse going for them.

> >

> > Skyscale is fine as it is. It combines griffon and rabbit functionality in one mount but it's not better in their respective fields than any of the two.

>

> By that logic gliding and mounts should be banned and unusable in all content that existed before they were implemented.

>

> Giving Skyscale more flight freedom would be nowhere near as damaging to old content as it was to allow mounts to be used in them in the first place.

> Which was something I was actually against in the first place after PoF was announced but Anet did it anyway so all the maps pre PoF are already broken and ruined because of mounts, having free flying on Skyscale would in no way diminish them further, if anything it'll make them more fun and allow us to enjoy those maps from an aerial point of view.. because flying around is fun ^^

>

> Skyscale will never be able to replace the Springer or Griffon as both of them are able to do their jobs faster and better than the Skyscale can.

> Griffons can fly significantly faster and dive bomb..

> And Springer can ascend and decent much faster than a Skyscale not to mention has the ability to launch you shooting up in the air with Bond of Faith.. the Skyscale maybe able to fly you to the vista on the top of the mountain but the Springer will always be able to get you there faster.

>

> Have you tried landing the Skyscale on a small tip of a structure or mountain?

> It's a little tricky and Skyscale will often grab the wall instead unless you decend directly on top of it.

Gliders and mounts are not valid comparisons as they were both brand new features in xpacs. You can only powercreep something that already exists. A more fitting comparison would be a new glider that somehow had unrestricted flight, with its own unique acquisition and mastery line. I would be against that too as it would invalidate all the work put in the previous mastery.

A scale with unlimited flight is the default choice of mount for the vast majority of content and a direct powercreep of the previous flying mount. Any minor advantages the griffon might have, mean nothing compared to unrestricted flight. One mount can fly with no limitations, while the other can't, it's as simple as it reads.

Powercreeping a mount that many used their wallets to acquire would be a kitten move by Anet, obviously aiming to force everyone into the grind. Having to grind for something that is mechanically better than what you currently have is essentially the same as gear grind, so I guess we are fine with that these days too?

> @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> A scale with unlimited flight is the default choice of mount for the vast majority of content

And of course you're not giving us any reason as for why it would be "the default choice" nor are you going to attempt to cause deep down you know how nonsensical that notion truly is.

> Any minor advantages the griffon might have, mean nothing compared to unrestricted flight.

Such as being X times as fast as the skyscale? You do realise that the main purpose of a mount is getting the player from A to B, right? Even unrestricted flight wouldn't change the fact that the skyscale is one of the slowest mounts available meaning that it's going to be a suboptimal choice the vast majority of the time.

> One mount can fly with no limitations, while the other can't, it's as simple as it reads.

It's almost as if mounts have specific areas they excel in, what a shocking revelation.

A complete flight mount should be the -Last- mount, considering that to be honest, it'd likely be the one most people would use to traverse map (ignores terrain and enemies).

I'm looking forward to more interesting movement ideas still, before we can go to total flight.

It's also wise of them not to invalidate existing mounts. It would be shooting themselves in the foot on many levels.

> > @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > > @"AlexxxDelta.1806" said:

> > > I'm against any form of powercreeping that makes older content obsolete (other mounts in this case). And that's what this would be, unerestricted flight would make it the default mount for almost everything. At least elite specs have the xpac sales excuse going for them.

> > >

> > > Skyscale is fine as it is. It combines griffon and rabbit functionality in one mount but it's not better in their respective fields than any of the two.

> >

> > By that logic gliding and mounts should be banned and unusable in all content that existed before they were implemented.

> >

> > Giving Skyscale more flight freedom would be nowhere near as damaging to old content as it was to allow mounts to be used in them in the first place.

> > Which was something I was actually against in the first place after PoF was announced but Anet did it anyway so all the maps pre PoF are already broken and ruined because of mounts, having free flying on Skyscale would in no way diminish them further, if anything it'll make them more fun and allow us to enjoy those maps from an aerial point of view.. because flying around is fun ^^

> >

> > Skyscale will never be able to replace the Springer or Griffon as both of them are able to do their jobs faster and better than the Skyscale can.

> > Griffons can fly significantly faster and dive bomb..

> > And Springer can ascend and decent much faster than a Skyscale not to mention has the ability to launch you shooting up in the air with Bond of Faith.. the Skyscale maybe able to fly you to the vista on the top of the mountain but the Springer will always be able to get you there faster.

> >

> > Have you tried landing the Skyscale on a small tip of a structure or mountain?

> > It's a little tricky and Skyscale will often grab the wall instead unless you decend directly on top of it.

>

> Gliders and mounts are not valid comparisons as they were both brand new features in xpacs. You can only powercreep something that already exists. A more fitting comparison would be a new glider that somehow had unrestricted flight, with its own unique acquisition and mastery line. I would be against that too as it would invalidate all the work put in the previous mastery.

>

> A scale with unlimited flight is the default choice of mount for the vast majority of content and a direct powercreep of the previous flying mount. Any minor advantages the griffon might have, mean nothing compared to unrestricted flight. One mount can fly with no limitations, while the other can't, it's as simple as it reads.

>

> Powercreeping a mount that many used their wallets to acquire would be a kitten move by Anet, obviously aiming to force everyone into the grind. Having to grind for something that is mechanically better than what you currently have is essentially the same as gear grind, so I guess we are fine with that these days too?

The Griffon essentially replaces the Glider in almost every way.

It can't use updrafts or laylines but can get to most places they can take you.

I doubt Skyscale would be the default choice of mount if it had free flying because as I said above it's not as fast as the others.

It will always be quicker to use the other mounts for map completion etc over the Skyscale.

As a mobile utility it's sort of a jack of all trades but master of none, while the other mounts are more specialized at doing what their primary function is.

If people do use the Skyscale for map exploration they will be doing so purely for the novelty of it, intentionally slowing their progress down.

As it is right now in terms of function alone it already can replace almost every mount.

It can clear any gap the Raptor can.

It can clear any cliff the Springger can.

It can fly over most bodies of water.

It can't use Sand Portals but it can reach many of their desinations. (so can a griffon for that matter)

It can fly anywhere a Griffon can.

It can go anywhere a Beetle can except in Breakable walls.

The only difference is all the above mounts can do those things faster.

Free flying will not change that, all it will change is that players won't be forced to land every few seconds to recharge their bar which is far more of an annoyance than a genuine restriction since if someone wants to fly across the entire map they need only get to a very high place and fly from there.

The hight cap is set by your altitude when you leave the ground and since you can hover freely you can just wait out the CD on Bond of Vigor and stay airborne as long as you like, just involves waiting.

> @"Naxos.2503" said:

> A complete flight mount should be the -Last- mount, considering that to be honest, it'd likely be the one most people would use to traverse map (ignores terrain and enemies).

>

> I'm looking forward to more interesting movement ideas still, before we can go to total flight.

> It's also wise of them not to invalidate existing mounts. It would be shooting themselves in the foot on many levels.

If they added a new complete fly mount later on they would absolutely make the Skyscale useless since it would be replacing it's only function entirely.

> @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> You come down, yes, and back up you can go immediately. I'm finding the mount so amazing and useful, I just hope they don't nerf it. And I haven't even figured out how to do the dash-roll thing yet.

>

> (Let's see the Griffon try to fly backwards!)

You need to keybind your Mount ability 1 to do the dash roll.

Keybind ability 2 as well to descend ^^ highly advise it otherwise it's a bit annoying to descend.

> @"Teratus.2859" said:

> > @"Cragga the Eighty Third.6015" said:

> > You come down, yes, and back up you can go immediately. I'm finding the mount so amazing and useful, I just hope they don't nerf it. And I haven't even figured out how to do the dash-roll thing yet.

> >

> > (Let's see the Griffon try to fly backwards!)

>

> You need to keybind your Mount ability 1 to do the dash roll.

> Keybind ability 2 as well to descend ^^ highly advise it otherwise it's a bit annoying to descend.

Thanks! I had actually already keybinded the descent key, I didn't realize the other mount key (still on V for me) was the one I needed for the dash. ^^

Now I've had to keybind my 'swim down' to the same key as Mount Ability 2, since the movement is so similar I kept confusing them and reaching for the wrong key.

> @"AgentMoore.9453" said:

> Either unrestricted flight or unrestricted ability to recharge flight while stuck to a wall. The effort to acquire this mount is superior to that of other mounts, so I'm fine with a similarly elevated level of ability.

The problem is there are plenty of showstoppers in that list for valid reasons for lots of people. You also do not want to have one mount that is always better than every other mount.

No. Two reasons.

I like that there are limitations to my movement and I need to find path to reach something. I could limit myself but that removes the sense of accomplishment for me. That is why I initially explored the vanilla world on foot and Hot with only Hot masteries even though I already had Pof. Like it was intended. And it was great. Looking back, if I had mounts in Hot the zones would never be so interesting.

I like to meet people in the world, makes the world feel alive. Everyone zipping around high in the air, you would never meet anyone. Look what happened in WoW. Open world became completely empty.

No, complete free flight was one of the worst features WoW ever implemented. While I do miss pre mount GW2 in some ways, Anet's implementation of mounts at least tries to ADD to mobility gameplay, not completely negate it (though it still does fairly often in older maps). Skyscale should just be a bit less touchy about doing it's wall grasp when you're clearly trying to land on a small ledge, and be given a hp buff (from 6k to like 9k like the springer) due to deficiency of evades and slow movement. The engage skill could be better as well; it has no cc and the damage is only good if the mobs stand in the fire for the whole duration (when they usually run towards you and out of it as soon as you dismount).