Should Skyscale have unrestricted flight?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > As to your exmaple, the Skyscale would fly over the entire bottom layer terrain making the raptor, beetle and bunny obsolete (the bunny becomes completely obsolete with limiteless flight). The raptor would at best allow slightly faster adjacent lane transition but loses on lane further away. The beetle needs perfect maneuvering and loses on slopes. The griffon can't take up speed on such low horizontal area. The skyscale can bypass ALL enemies which might dismount.

>

> That takes too long, you want be as fast as possible in order to tag the event for extra loot. Being able to bypass enemies means nothing as the beetle can just speed past them without taking any substantial damage regardless. "The beetle needs perfect maneuvering" is just a gross exaggeration as most lanes are fairly straight lines and don't have any obstacles to speak of. The slopes aren't really a problem either since the boost can easily take care of them and everything afterwards goes downhill. The bunny and griffon are useless for the most part anyway and you're not outspeeding a jackal either.

Last I checked, the griffon is the best map traversal mount and the bunny remains the best strait up horizontal traversal mount but I guess making up facts is the way to go to prove a point.

I guess we have to agree to disagree, with the slight difference that the developers seem to side with the opinion that permanent flight is not desired or beneficial for the game. As well as the vast majority of the forums active player base. Reason enough to keep the status quo.

> @"Adrianna.3092" said:

> > @"Substance E.4852" said:

> > > @"Adrianna.3092" said:

> > > the griffon can maintain altitude by flapping their wings and even gain altitude thru bond of vigor... but the skyscale will slowly descend as though they were a normal glider... i feel if you reached your max height you should still be able to fly forward without dropping so that you are at least on par with what the griffon can already do at a much faster speed.

> >

> > A: Griffon still loses altitude flapping their wings

> >

> > B: Bond of vigor has an insane cooldown and totally negates the downside to the beetle making it the fastest mount by far but no one cares about that

> >

> > C: You're trading air time for the explicit ability to gain altitude by hovering in place. The griffon can glide for longer but needs to start at a high point to do so and lacks precise landing.

> >

> > Mounts are about trade offs, not just being progressive power creep. Raptor is faster than Jackal but the jackal has better evasion. Griphon can traverse terrain the easiest but raptor is still faster on a clear shot. Beetle's the fastest once charged but needs even terrain and loses momentum on turns.

>

> yes... but skyscale is the ONLY mount that actively punishes you for using bond of vigor... as doing so gives you a red flight bar which FORCES you to descend even faster... the griffon can stay in the air much longer and isnt punished for using bond of vigor like the skyscale is...

>

> Alot of the skyscales mechanics are there to restrict it... which makes it feel less fun.

Not really. Skyscale doesn't punish you for using bond of vigor unless you are using it wrongly.

I use Bond of Vigor when I want that extra three steps to climb up on that wall. I am not punished there even if I get the red bar. Also, You don't get red bar when flying horizontally so you can use Bond of Vigor to fly horizontally longer.

What you are saying is similar as saying that Bond of Vigor punishes Raptor because I use a leap on a steep upward incline. Or a bond of vigor punishes griffon because I use Bond of Vigor and it wasn't enough to reach that edge of the cliff which makes me hit the wall.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> Last I checked, the griffon is the best map traversal mount and the bunny remains the best strait up horizontal traversal mount but I guess making up facts is the way to go to prove a point.

What exactly is the "fact" I'm making up here, last time I checked the given example was getting from chak gerent to chak gerent.

> @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> I guess we have to agree to disagree, with the slight difference that the developers seem to side with the opinion that permanent flight is not desired or beneficial for the game. As well as the vast majority of the forums active player base. Reason enough to keep the status quo.

Oh I never argued for giving the mount free flight, I merely stated that I wouldn't mind it and continued to point out the faulty reasoning some people use. If someone sais "I don't want free flight cause l don't want others to have their fun" then I don't have a problem with that cause at least that person isn't claiming objectivity to back up his opinion.

Also, forum polls are not representative for the entirety of the playerbase. And as for the devs, I wouldn't mind them saying "we're not going to implement unrestricted flight cause we don't like it" but that's not what they're doing. It's them making unfounded claims of objectivity I'm criticising here. "giving the skyscale unlimited flight would make the other mounts pointless" how? Not a single person (dev. or player) was capable of articulating this point thus far. Some people tried but they always ignored or understated the advantages of the other mounts (their speed in particular).

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> > @"Cyninja.2954" said:

> > I guess we have to agree to disagree, with the slight difference that the developers seem to side with the opinion that permanent flight is not desired or beneficial for the game. As well as the vast majority of the forums active player base. Reason enough to keep the status quo.

>

> Oh I never argued for giving the mount free flight, I merely stated that I wouldn't mind it and continued to point out the faulty reasoning some people use. If someone sais "I don't want free flight cause l don't want others to have their fun" then I don't have a problem with that cause at least that person isn't claiming objectivity to back up his opinion.

That's not what people are saying but rather what you are putting in people's mouths. It even goes strait against what the developers said as what their intent was for the mount. Watch from 21:20 (

), the mount was designed as to not make other mounts obsolete or take their roles.

**Now you might consider yourself smarter than the developers or other players who see issues with free flight and you might disagree with their rationale. It is a very far reach though to accuse others of intentionally wanting fellow players to not have fun, especially when the deck is this stacked against you.**

> @"Tails.9372" said:

> Also, forum polls are not representative for the entirety of the playerbase. And as for the devs, I wouldn't mind them saying "we're not going to implement unrestricted flight cause we don't like it" but thats not what they're doing. It's them making unfounded claims of objectivity I'm criticising here. "giving the skyscale unlimited flight would make the other mounts pointless" how? Not a single person (dev. or player) was capable of articulating this point thus far. Some people tried but they always ignored or understated the advantages of the other mounts (the speed in particular).

I specifically said "forum active player base". That choice of words was intentional. I never said it is indicative of the general player population. Unfortunately with a bias this strong, it would be hard to argue that the general consensus is greatly different.

As to the developers explicitly stating they won't implement free flight, that's exactly what they did. They literally designed the mount in a way they believe to not step on other mount toes. If they had seen no issue with free flight, they would have saved them selves a lot of hassle and loops that they specifically went through. The devs don't need to come out and state something obvious which is seen in the way they did their work. The work speaks for its self, especially when it is a ton of extra work.

Maybe we can remove the max height red bar penalty and/or make endurance recover while wall latching, but completely unrestricted flying is, imo, will not be good, it will make you ignore everything on the ground. A bit of restriction tend to make things interesting, too easy is boring.

I like the skyscale, and encounter none of the problems I often hear on these forums.

The skyscale is slow... but so is the raptor, if you don't use the endurance boost. Not to mention, the Skyscale can boost upwards (no matter how tempting it maybe to simply hover above a ledge). Doing this, you can go over ledges with less effort than the Griffon (and sometimes Springer).

The Skyscale can descend using the 1 (skyscale attack) button, or by using Aurines ejection seat.

The Skyscales endurance and flight bar are refilled when your dragon consumes volitile magic, turning the skyscale into a flying raptor with unlimited endurance in some areas.

Skyscales don't stick to walls if you don't try to wallhug or fly into them.

All in all, I think the Skyscale is a unique mount that is well suited for ths terrain in ls4 ep 6. They don't need free flight or to be jet fighters (we already have the griffon for the latter part).