> @"TwiceDead.1963" said:

> > @"yusayu.3629" said:

> > > @"TwiceDead.1963" said:

> > > > @"yusayu.3629" said:

> > > > > @"TwiceDead.1963" said:

> > > > > Sounds like a you problem.

> > > > >

> > > > > > @"yusayu.3629" said:

> > > > > > Aside from the truly atrocious level design in TD and some of the Metas where you're standing around for minutes before anything happens, HoT is kitten' awesome.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > You can still do Fractals, Raids, PvP or WvW inbetween, nobody forces you to farm HoT until you're completely finished with it before moving on.

> > > > >

> > > > > Tangled Depths has some of the best level design I have ever seen in an MMO.

> > > > >

> > > > > The problem people are unwilling to deal with in TD, is learning the map, because there is a real difficulty spike for that zone. Doesn't help that the map becomes borderline useless there, so it's better to learn it by traversal and memorizing it.

> > > >

> > > > How is TD good map design?!

> > > >

> > > > The minimap is worthless, because it doesn't show you verticality. The only way to orient in that map is landmarks, of which there are very few. Half the map looks the same, paths are unintuitive (you're standing above a hero point, but *actually* the way to get to that hero point is to go around half the map and take a completely different way), half the map is filled with enemies that can almost instantly knock you off your mount, cripple you or just almost oneshot you. Hero challenges are literally locked until you have certain masteries (one of the worst kinds of grinds for casual players), the meta has a literal 15min AFK part at the end, not to mention all the other design flaws with it (things like the boss being easier when it's not CC'd etc.). **TD was legitimatly the only map in the game, where I ever just stopped exploring because I became so kitten angry over the worthless minimap and everything looking the same.** Not to mention that not being able to solo heropoints was one of the dumbest design decisions (as evidenced by the fact that ANet backpaddled on the decision in PoF), especially for casual players where World Completion is one of the only solo-parts of the game.

> > >

> > > Well..

> > >

> > > >@"TwiceDead.1963" said:

> > > >The problem people are unwilling to deal with in TD, is learning the map, because there is a real difficulty spike for that zone. Doesn't help that the map becomes borderline useless there, so it's better to learn it by traversal and memorizing it.

> > >

> > > I'd say the reason things are looking the same to you is because you didn't progress very far.

> > >

> > > And you CAN solo most of the HPs in HoT btw. It's hard, but doable. Aside from the Mushroom Queen in TD. Haven't managed to do that yet.

> >

> > People are unwilling to deal with TD because it has kitten design. Imagine a car that you can only control with your feet. Sure, you could say "just deal with it, stop complaining", or you could see that that's bad design. I don't want to have to learn that, I want a better-designed car.

>

> Driving takes every sense you have. You use both your hands and your feet, but most importantly your eyes. If you used your eyes you would be able to react appropriately to the dangers around you, memorize areas, and you would also notice that the car already comes with a perfectly suitable steering-wheel for your hands.

>

> If you decide to use your feet in spite of that, and rage-quit because you can't drive like: _"LOOK MOM! NO HANDS!"_ that's a you-problem.

I'd agree, if Tangled Depths actually had a steering wheel.

The minimap is worthless. It mostly doesn't work for vertical maps, you can have the same observation in Dry Top. The "white" paths on the minimap are often wrong or a level below/above you and therefore worthless. The map has very few landmarks, which would be the alternative to find your way around - tunnels look the same, if I gave you a set of screenshots of a tunnel in that map you would most likely not be able to tell me where they are from. If a hero point is indicated as being "below" you, the game doesn't tell you how far below it is. So you go one level down, still below you. Go another level down, still below you. Later you realize, that that hero point you wasted 20 minutes looking for was actually under water in a passage below the map. That's a shitty feeling and garbage design.

Especially the paths to multiple hero points and POIs are very unintuitive. One of the HPs is located at the end of an adventure and you can only reach it with either the bunny or by doing the adventure (why? adventures aren't part of the map completion.). One of the hero points is located inside the poison, if you didn't check every mastery beforehand you might not even know *how* to get rid of the poison, is it an event? Do you have to kill a specific mob? Do the meta? Create an item beforehand (like in the bitter cold)? To get to the spider hero point you have to find some convoluted path through the laboratory, meaning you have to do the event chain beforehand (because of the cannons), then find the hole in the wall, jump down, talk to the egg and realize that it kills you almost instantly. Another HP is behind the piranha-thing which you need another mastery for. Not to mention that most of the HPs are absolutely not soloable for casual players, and if they attempted to solo them they'd have to run the entire fucking way back to the HP.

And what for? That's all just for the map completion. What's meant to be the introduction for the absolute casual players to the map.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic