Are DPSmeters allowed?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> > @Panda.1967 said:

> > Unfortunately, they are allowed, despite the toxicity their presence creates.

>

> It's more a daisy chain of mechanics that required and encouraged toxicity, starting with the absolute horrible design and implementation of raid content.

The daisy chain is starting with people expecting to be carried all the time.

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> > @Conncept.7638 said:

> > > @Panda.1967 said:

> > > Unfortunately, they are allowed, despite the toxicity their presence creates.

> >

> > It's more a daisy chain of mechanics that required and encouraged toxicity, starting with the absolute horrible design and implementation of raid content.

>

> The daisy chain is starting with people expecting to be carried all the time.

I present this player and his conduct as Exhibit A in the case proving my point.

And if I'm incorrect, please show me your proof that all players who do not use a DPS meter expect to be "carried" through content without playing the game correctly. Though good luck proving hyperboly in the first place, let alone factually incorrect hyperbole.

Because I can, in fact, show you irrefutable proof that raids were designed to have a single method of playing through them, and that is why most players _will_ not, not cannot, comply with their content as it is designed, because this game was advertised, for five years before raids were ever mentioned, as a game in which you could play your way but still be challenged. And raids, are nothing short of compromise, and even purposeful betrayal, on that promised design tenant.

> @Fallesafe.5932 said:

> > @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > I'd like to download arcdps, to see if I'm doing good in fractals. But I'm not sure it's allowed by Anet, can I have some answers? :d

>

> Yes, thank God. They're allowed. Now we have a tool to deal with the toxicity of people who want to be carried.

In the mean time normal people will 'help' others including weak players rather than carrying them on their meter justified self importance.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> Because I can, in fact, show you irrefutable proof that raids were designed to have a single method of playing through them [...]

Welcome to MMO raids. This single method is about as old as raids and, in GW2, even more pronounced than usual, since dps>most (actually, mechanics>dps) is based in this game's very DNA. Almost the entire PvE combat gameplay focuses on delivering as much damage as possible, so how exactly do you expect something else?

Dps meters are the worst thing that has happened to this game. It was nice and friendly game, where people would help each other, you could play how you want, now how someone wants you to play.

Now it's all about dps or kick, anet betrayed us by allowing dps meters. Manifesto said this game is PLAY HOW YOU WANT. I want to play my character and be my hero in my story. No one should be allowed to tell me what to do.

I don't want to have to press 20 buttons to do my dmg, i just want to play the way i want.

Now i can't even do fractals, because i get kicked for playing power reaper. And don't start me on raids, they said there will be no raids, i came here to not have to deal with toxic raiders, now this game has raids, another betrayal by anet. They broke so many of their initial promises, it's not even the same friendly game anymore.

> @"vesica tempestas.1563" said:

> > @Fallesafe.5932 said:

> > > @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > > I'd like to download arcdps, to see if I'm doing good in fractals. But I'm not sure it's allowed by Anet, can I have some answers? :d

> >

> > Yes, thank God. They're allowed. Now we have a tool to deal with the toxicity of people who want to be carried.

>

> In the mean time normal people will 'help' others including weak players rather than carrying them on their meter justified self importance.

My reply was a tongue-in-cheek response to an earlier poster who couldn't just answer the question, but HAD to get her petty little digs in. A lot of folks love to invoke the concept of "toxicity," but absolutely break into hives when it gets turned around on them. There is toxic elitism. But there's also toxic entitlement (PLENTY of it). And they both stink.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > @Conncept.7638 said:

> > > > @Panda.1967 said:

> > > > Unfortunately, they are allowed, despite the toxicity their presence creates.

> > >

> > > It's more a daisy chain of mechanics that required and encouraged toxicity, starting with the absolute horrible design and implementation of raid content.

> >

> > The daisy chain is starting with people expecting to be carried all the time.

>

> I present this player and his conduct as Exhibit A in the case proving my point.

>

> And if I'm incorrect, please show me your proof that all players who do not use a DPS meter expect to be "carried" through content without playing the game correctly. Though good luck proving hyperboly in the first place, let alone factually incorrect hyperbole.

>

> Because I can, in fact, show you irrefutable proof that raids were designed to have a single method of playing through them, and that is why most players _will_ not, not cannot, comply with their content as it is designed, because this game was advertised, for five years before raids were ever mentioned, as a game in which you could play your way but still be challenged. And raids, are nothing short of compromise, and even purposeful betrayal, on that promised design tenant.

1. Strawman: I didn't say *every* player who doesn't run a meter expects to get carried. I said the elitism exists because of the players who do. I can also add that the meters are a tool that directly hurt these players, and pretty much them alone. For all the rest they are either beneficial or irrelevant.

2. Strawman again: nobody said there's a single "method" of playing raids. Apparently you do not understand the purpose of meta. It's to minimize risk. That's all. You wanna play your custom build to have fun? Sure, no problem. Start a group and advertise is properly. Do not expect 9 other people (or 4 others in 5-man content, it's the same) to accept your idea of fun and get along with it. Also, do not expect to get carried either. See above under "elitism".

3. It's no longer 2012. Times change, and so do opinions. ANet did a wonderful job in implementing exciting and fun endgame content. Either play it or don't but please spare me the "good ol' times" talk.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > > @Panda.1967 said:

> > > > Unfortunately, they are allowed, despite the toxicity their presence creates.

> > >

> > > It's more a daisy chain of mechanics that required and encouraged toxicity, starting with the absolute horrible design and implementation of raid content.

> >

> > The daisy chain is starting with people expecting to be carried all the time.

>

> I present this player and his conduct as Exhibit A in the case proving my point.

>

> And if I'm incorrect, please show me your proof that all players who do not use a DPS meter expect to be "carried" through content without playing the game correctly. Though good luck proving hyperboly in the first place, let alone factually incorrect hyperbole.

>

He never said **all** players who don't use DPS meters, I only see one side using generalization here.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> Because I can, in fact, show you irrefutable proof that raids were designed to have a single method of playing through them, and that is why most players _will_ not, not cannot, comply with their content as it is designed, because this game was advertised, for five years before raids were ever mentioned, as a game in which you could play your way but still be challenged. And raids, are nothing short of compromise, and even purposeful betrayal, on that promised design tenant.

Please do.

> @ROMANG.1903 said:

> Oh god what have I done xD

>

> I don't intend to tell X or Y dude in my group that he has a bad DPS, I just want to compare mine to theirs ^^'

You may want to close/delete the thread since you got an answer before this gets even worse xD

> @Dante.1763 said:

> > @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > Oh god what have I done xD

> >

> > I don't intend to tell X or Y dude in my group that he has a bad DPS, I just want to compare mine to theirs ^^'

>

> You may want to close/delete the thread since you got an answer before this gets even worse xD

Unfortunately, only Mods can do so. Maybe edit the title and the opening post, though it may be too late.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > @Dante.1763 said:

> > > @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > > Oh god what have I done xD

> > >

> > > I don't intend to tell X or Y dude in my group that he has a bad DPS, I just want to compare mine to theirs ^^'

> >

> > You may want to close/delete the thread since you got an answer before this gets even worse xD

>

> Unfortunately, only Mods can do so. Maybe edit the title and the opening post, though it may be too late.

Thats completely annoying.

> @Feanor.2358 said:

> > @Conncept.7638 said:

> > > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > > @Conncept.7638 said:

> > > > > @Panda.1967 said:

> > > > > Unfortunately, they are allowed, despite the toxicity their presence creates.

> > > >

> > > > It's more a daisy chain of mechanics that required and encouraged toxicity, starting with the absolute horrible design and implementation of raid content.

> > >

> > > The daisy chain is starting with people expecting to be carried all the time.

> >

> > I present this player and his conduct as Exhibit A in the case proving my point.

> >

> > And if I'm incorrect, please show me your proof that all players who do not use a DPS meter expect to be "carried" through content without playing the game correctly. Though good luck proving hyperboly in the first place, let alone factually incorrect hyperbole.

> >

> > Because I can, in fact, show you irrefutable proof that raids were designed to have a single method of playing through them, and that is why most players _will_ not, not cannot, comply with their content as it is designed, because this game was advertised, for five years before raids were ever mentioned, as a game in which you could play your way but still be challenged. And raids, are nothing short of compromise, and even purposeful betrayal, on that promised design tenant.

> 1. Strawman: I didn't say *every* player who doesn't run a meter expects to get carried. I said the elitism exists because of the players who do. I can also add that the meters are a tool that directly hurt these players, and pretty much them alone. For all the rest they are either beneficial or irrelevant.

Yes because, "people" doesn't apply to everyone, can't forget our plant, animal, extraterrestrial, and extradimensional playerbase.

> 2. Strawman again: nobody said there's a single "method" of playing raids. Apparently you do not understand the purpose of meta. It's to minimize risk. That's all. You wanna play your custom build to have fun? Sure, no problem. Start a group and advertise is properly. Do not expect 9 other people (or 4 others in 5-man content, it's the same) to accept your idea of fun and get along with it. Also, do not expect to get carried either. See above under "elitism".

That is LITERALLY what meta means in this context! Meta means optimal, there is only one way to comply with this content as per your own words, therefore, optimal=single method and meta=single method, by logic so basic our _plant_ and _animal_ playerbase could only come to the same conclusion.

> 3. It's no longer 2012. Times change, and so do opinions. ANet did a wonderful job in implementing exciting and fun endgame content. Either play it or don't but please spare me the "good ol' times" talk.

It has nothing to do with "good ol' times', that is something I didn't say, so while we're going over your nonsensicaL attempt at pointing out fallacies, have you ever heard of hyperbole?

What it has to do with is good design, versus bad.

Good design, allows players to figure out a way of complying with the content within the context of the content. Better design, allows for multiple means of complying with the content. And best does so while still retaining challenge. THAT is what this game was sold on, and it wasn't changed as a matter of style or opinion, it was never even attempted, and then compromised on to take an easier but inferior path.

Bad design, requires pooling info together until you have a serialized method to be mindlessly repeat the content over and over again. And that's how you raid.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > > > > @Conncept.7638 said:

> > > > > > @Panda.1967 said:

> > > > > > Unfortunately, they are allowed, despite the toxicity their presence creates.

> > > > >

> > > > > It's more a daisy chain of mechanics that required and encouraged toxicity, starting with the absolute horrible design and implementation of raid content.

> > > >

> > > > The daisy chain is starting with people expecting to be carried all the time.

> > >

> > > I present this player and his conduct as Exhibit A in the case proving my point.

> > >

> > > And if I'm incorrect, please show me your proof that all players who do not use a DPS meter expect to be "carried" through content without playing the game correctly. Though good luck proving hyperboly in the first place, let alone factually incorrect hyperbole.

> > >

> > > Because I can, in fact, show you irrefutable proof that raids were designed to have a single method of playing through them, and that is why most players _will_ not, not cannot, comply with their content as it is designed, because this game was advertised, for five years before raids were ever mentioned, as a game in which you could play your way but still be challenged. And raids, are nothing short of compromise, and even purposeful betrayal, on that promised design tenant.

>

>

> > 1. Strawman: I didn't say *every* player who doesn't run a meter expects to get carried. I said the elitism exists because of the players who do. I can also add that the meters are a tool that directly hurt these players, and pretty much them alone. For all the rest they are either beneficial or irrelevant.

> Yes because, "people" doesn't apply to everyone, can't forget our plant, animal, extraterrestrial, and extradimensional playerbase.

Still strawman, "every" isn't the same as "some".

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:

> > 2. Strawman again: nobody said there's a single "method" of playing raids. Apparently you do not understand the purpose of meta. It's to minimize risk. That's all. You wanna play your custom build to have fun? Sure, no problem. Start a group and advertise is properly. Do not expect 9 other people (or 4 others in 5-man content, it's the same) to accept your idea of fun and get along with it. Also, do not expect to get carried either. See above under "elitism".

> That is LITERALLY what meta means in this context! Meta means optimal, there is only one way to comply with this content as per your own words, therefore, meta=single method, by logic so basic our _plant_ and _animal_ playerbase could make the same conclusion.

"Optimal" doesn't mean "necessary" either. Again, it's about minimizing risk, not meeting a requirement.

> @Conncept.7638 said:

> > @Feanor.2358 said:> > 3. It's no longer 2012. Times change, and so do opinions. ANet did a wonderful job in implementing exciting and fun endgame content. Either play it or don't but please spare me the "good ol' times" talk.

> It has nothing to do with "good ol' times', that is something I didn't say, so while we're going over your nonsensical use of fallacies, have you ever heard of hyperbole?

>

> What it has to do with is good design, vs bad. Good design, allows players to figure out a way of complying with the content within the context of the content. Better design, allows for multiple means while still retaining challenge.

>

> Bad design, requires pooling info together until you have a serialized method to be mindlessly repeated over and over again.

See above. I suggest you actually play some raids before trying to judge their design.