The game's engine needs updates to modern standards

Crevox.5806

> @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> > > @Joxer.6024 said:

> > > I think it was posted by a Dev somewhere that the cost to upgrade outweighs the gains so therefore is not doable? Something is server based as well and that a whole other ball game outside of the game client. So yea, I also would LOVE to see this game enter the DX11 world sadly I don't think it will happen as long as everything or most everything "works".

> >

> > DirectX11? Pshh, if they were to do a graphics overhaul I certainly hope they'd upgrade to DirectX12...

> >

> > But as you and others have reported, apparently they said it would be too much work, an excuse so many developers are fond of these days. I don't see how they can expect the game to hold up to market standards for another 5+ years (despite having plenty of room for expansion within the lore/storyline, on the map, etc.) when it's already below market standards, especially if they don't intend to upgrade their engine/graphics. As another one of the developers stated, "the best way to increase the playerbase and keep the game going is through word of mouth," but I beg to differ; I believe if you provide a superior product than your competitors and appeal to those beyond the scope of your typical customer (through cutting edge technology) you'll draw in far more new players than you if were to rely on heresay from the playerbase. But of course, the former costs money (and lots of it), whereas the latter does not.

>

> Dx11 would be their option for mass acceptance (since not everyone will have a Dx12 compatible gpu or OS), plus its easier to scale up from dx12 from 11 than it is to scale up from 9-12. If they went from 9-12 (keeping 9 for older players) they would still have to design to 9, which will impact performance for 12 more.

>

Dx12 is very standard in video cards in today's market another thing and case in point i play wow . it has DX11 which when the game goes to DX12 the video cards will be ready for it . already also too for thos that have old out dated computers and so forth can still use DX9 . not sure tho why they want to be stuck in the stone ages . but will say with DX11 in wow i get about 120 FPS . and wow has been out a lot longer than this game lol

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> > > > @Joxer.6024 said:

> > > > I think it was posted by a Dev somewhere that the cost to upgrade outweighs the gains so therefore is not doable? Something is server based as well and that a whole other ball game outside of the game client. So yea, I also would LOVE to see this game enter the DX11 world sadly I don't think it will happen as long as everything or most everything "works".

> > >

> > > DirectX11? Pshh, if they were to do a graphics overhaul I certainly hope they'd upgrade to DirectX12...

> > >

> > > But as you and others have reported, apparently they said it would be too much work, an excuse so many developers are fond of these days. I don't see how they can expect the game to hold up to market standards for another 5+ years (despite having plenty of room for expansion within the lore/storyline, on the map, etc.) when it's already below market standards, especially if they don't intend to upgrade their engine/graphics. As another one of the developers stated, "the best way to increase the playerbase and keep the game going is through word of mouth," but I beg to differ; I believe if you provide a superior product than your competitors and appeal to those beyond the scope of your typical customer (through cutting edge technology) you'll draw in far more new players than you if were to rely on heresay from the playerbase. But of course, the former costs money (and lots of it), whereas the latter does not.

> >

> > Dx11 would be their option for mass acceptance (since not everyone will have a Dx12 compatible gpu or OS), plus its easier to scale up from dx12 from 11 than it is to scale up from 9-12. If they went from 9-12 (keeping 9 for older players) they would still have to design to 9, which will impact performance for 12 more.

> >

>

> Dx12 is very standard in video cards in today's market another thing and case in point i play wow . it has DX11 which when the game goes to DX12 the video cards will be ready for it . already also too for thos that have old out dated computers and so forth can still use DX9 . not sure tho why they want to be stuck in the stone ages . but will say with DX11 in wow i get about 120 FPS . and wow has been out a lot longer than this game lol

Dx12 supports only a few gens of cards from each provider. The problem is, the majority of players (especially in MMOs) will have OLDER cards than a few gens, many have cards that do not have Dx12 support, and many may have not upgraded to windows 10.

> > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > > @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> > > > > @Joxer.6024 said:

> > > > > I think it was posted by a Dev somewhere that the cost to upgrade outweighs the gains so therefore is not doable? Something is server based as well and that a whole other ball game outside of the game client. So yea, I also would LOVE to see this game enter the DX11 world sadly I don't think it will happen as long as everything or most everything "works".

> > > >

> > > > DirectX11? Pshh, if they were to do a graphics overhaul I certainly hope they'd upgrade to DirectX12...

> > > >

> > > > But as you and others have reported, apparently they said it would be too much work, an excuse so many developers are fond of these days. I don't see how they can expect the game to hold up to market standards for another 5+ years (despite having plenty of room for expansion within the lore/storyline, on the map, etc.) when it's already below market standards, especially if they don't intend to upgrade their engine/graphics. As another one of the developers stated, "the best way to increase the playerbase and keep the game going is through word of mouth," but I beg to differ; I believe if you provide a superior product than your competitors and appeal to those beyond the scope of your typical customer (through cutting edge technology) you'll draw in far more new players than you if were to rely on heresay from the playerbase. But of course, the former costs money (and lots of it), whereas the latter does not.

> > >

> > > Dx11 would be their option for mass acceptance (since not everyone will have a Dx12 compatible gpu or OS), plus its easier to scale up from dx12 from 11 than it is to scale up from 9-12. If they went from 9-12 (keeping 9 for older players) they would still have to design to 9, which will impact performance for 12 more.

> > >

> >

> > Dx12 is very standard in video cards in today's market another thing and case in point i play wow . it has DX11 which when the game goes to DX12 the video cards will be ready for it . already also too for thos that have old out dated computers and so forth can still use DX9 . not sure tho why they want to be stuck in the stone ages . but will say with DX11 in wow i get about 120 FPS . and wow has been out a lot longer than this game lol

>

> Dx12 supports only a few gens of cards from each provider. The problem is, the majority of players (especially in MMOs) will have OLDER cards than a few gens, many have cards that do not have Dx12 support, and many may have not upgraded to windows 10.

interesting shame people like to be stuck in the stone ages. never could understand that. but if that makes them happy well that is their choice to stay their . they could always play wow till at least wow drops DX9 from its current list . also too not a lot of games support windows XP or vista any more.

I don't care about the DX version, to be honest. I just would like to see the CPU utilization being optimized so that no one will have to deal with lag anymore as well as get at least twice as much FPS out of the game. :)

I really find the graphical quality of GW2 quite pretty (especially for a DX9 game) and, personally, don't need any of it upgraded. Of course, I wouldn't mind some sort of DX upgrade, if that would mean things like dynamic weather became possible. ;) It's just not on top of my list of priorities for this game.

> @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > > > @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> > > > > > @Joxer.6024 said:

> > > > > > I think it was posted by a Dev somewhere that the cost to upgrade outweighs the gains so therefore is not doable? Something is server based as well and that a whole other ball game outside of the game client. So yea, I also would LOVE to see this game enter the DX11 world sadly I don't think it will happen as long as everything or most everything "works".

> > > > >

> > > > > DirectX11? Pshh, if they were to do a graphics overhaul I certainly hope they'd upgrade to DirectX12...

> > > > >

> > > > > But as you and others have reported, apparently they said it would be too much work, an excuse so many developers are fond of these days. I don't see how they can expect the game to hold up to market standards for another 5+ years (despite having plenty of room for expansion within the lore/storyline, on the map, etc.) when it's already below market standards, especially if they don't intend to upgrade their engine/graphics. As another one of the developers stated, "the best way to increase the playerbase and keep the game going is through word of mouth," but I beg to differ; I believe if you provide a superior product than your competitors and appeal to those beyond the scope of your typical customer (through cutting edge technology) you'll draw in far more new players than you if were to rely on heresay from the playerbase. But of course, the former costs money (and lots of it), whereas the latter does not.

> > > >

> > > > Dx11 would be their option for mass acceptance (since not everyone will have a Dx12 compatible gpu or OS), plus its easier to scale up from dx12 from 11 than it is to scale up from 9-12. If they went from 9-12 (keeping 9 for older players) they would still have to design to 9, which will impact performance for 12 more.

> > > >

> > >

> > > Dx12 is very standard in video cards in today's market another thing and case in point i play wow . it has DX11 which when the game goes to DX12 the video cards will be ready for it . already also too for thos that have old out dated computers and so forth can still use DX9 . not sure tho why they want to be stuck in the stone ages . but will say with DX11 in wow i get about 120 FPS . and wow has been out a lot longer than this game lol

> >

> > Dx12 supports only a few gens of cards from each provider. The problem is, the majority of players (especially in MMOs) will have OLDER cards than a few gens, many have cards that do not have Dx12 support, and many may have not upgraded to windows 10.

>

> interesting shame people like to be stuck in the stone ages. never could understand that. but if that makes them happy well that is their choice to stay their . they could always play wow till at least wow drops DX9 from its current list . also too not a lot of games support windows XP or vista any more.

Remember.... Anet wants as many people as possible to buy the game, so catering to as many people as possible is important to them

My last computer was a Phenom2 set up the FPS with a mid grade video card was around 20-40 fps. Now this sound really low doesn't it? Most would consider it a fail, but you know what the game hardly ever lagged. Now I have an Amd FX 6300 with an 1050 ti video card, still ddr 3 with ddr5 video ram. When I made the new computer its FPS was close to what the Phenom 2 was. Over time the FPS has actually improved to high 60s in some areas and now minimum 35 FPS. I still hardly lag, I actually only lag when people get kicked from the game aka a problem with the game itself.

What I am trying to get to is this. Does the low fps like I get cause your game to lag all the time? Or do you see the numbers and think it should be higher making you think its lagging on you? What most do not know about running 2 video cards on a mother board also it lowers the path speed. If you use one video card for example it runs at 16 bit speed. If you run two of them you do not run them at 16 bit anymore, you run them at 8 bit each. More does not always mean better quality. Try taking one card out and see if your fps goes up or down. I bet it will go up. I also agree with the idea if you put character model limit to lowest your other settings can easily be higher and still have good fps.

Performance complaints and some having issues about what ArenaNet chose to do with GW2 both Engine-wise and the level of Dx, client (32-bit) and so on have been around since Beta. Five years ago most of us thought: "Oh, it's something ArenaNet will fix in a couple of years". Apparently that's still going on and ArenaNet's getting away with a heavy amount of trust from the community.

Learn a thing or two from Star Citizen, ArenaNet. They've done a huge amount of work on networking, I bet your devs could learn a handful of things from one of CIG's videos about that. Maybe, while you're at it, dig into the videos and find some tips on optimization lol. Then again the ArenaNet developers are probably coding in the most hacked together PoS engine possible.

> > > > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > > > > @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> > > > > > > @Joxer.6024 said:

> > > > > > > I think it was posted by a Dev somewhere that the cost to upgrade outweighs the gains so therefore is not doable? Something is server based as well and that a whole other ball game outside of the game client. So yea, I also would LOVE to see this game enter the DX11 world sadly I don't think it will happen as long as everything or most everything "works".

> > > > > >

> > > > > > DirectX11? Pshh, if they were to do a graphics overhaul I certainly hope they'd upgrade to DirectX12...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But as you and others have reported, apparently they said it would be too much work, an excuse so many developers are fond of these days. I don't see how they can expect the game to hold up to market standards for another 5+ years (despite having plenty of room for expansion within the lore/storyline, on the map, etc.) when it's already below market standards, especially if they don't intend to upgrade their engine/graphics. As another one of the developers stated, "the best way to increase the playerbase and keep the game going is through word of mouth," but I beg to differ; I believe if you provide a superior product than your competitors and appeal to those beyond the scope of your typical customer (through cutting edge technology) you'll draw in far more new players than you if were to rely on heresay from the playerbase. But of course, the former costs money (and lots of it), whereas the latter does not.

> > > > >

> > > > > Dx11 would be their option for mass acceptance (since not everyone will have a Dx12 compatible gpu or OS), plus its easier to scale up from dx12 from 11 than it is to scale up from 9-12. If they went from 9-12 (keeping 9 for older players) they would still have to design to 9, which will impact performance for 12 more.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Dx12 is very standard in video cards in today's market another thing and case in point i play wow . it has DX11 which when the game goes to DX12 the video cards will be ready for it . already also too for thos that have old out dated computers and so forth can still use DX9 . not sure tho why they want to be stuck in the stone ages . but will say with DX11 in wow i get about 120 FPS . and wow has been out a lot longer than this game lol

> > >

> > > Dx12 supports only a few gens of cards from each provider. The problem is, the majority of players (especially in MMOs) will have OLDER cards than a few gens, many have cards that do not have Dx12 support, and many may have not upgraded to windows 10.

> >

> > interesting shame people like to be stuck in the stone ages. never could understand that. but if that makes them happy well that is their choice to stay their . they could always play wow till at least wow drops DX9 from its current list . also too not a lot of games support windows XP or vista any more.

>

> Remember.... Anet wants as many people as possible to buy the game, so catering to as many people as possible is important to them

this is very true but also too anet needs to remember they have to cater to all . on both ends which I think they should done when they made the game or at the very least done all the bug fixes and upgrades system wise asp . but honestly and sadly to say I think we all know that will not ever happen at all. this is why when the new pack that will be out in a few days from now. I looked for system specs for both low and high end . sadly to say all I could find was the low end specs for the new pack. thus I made the choice with a few other things after more news came out about it . not to buy at all till I see how it goes or I move on to another game after been playing since the first guild wars came out .

> > > > @WARIORSCHARGEING.2637 said:

> > > > > @"Cloud Windfoot Omega.7485" said:

> > > > > > @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> > > > > > > @Joxer.6024 said:

> > > > > > > I think it was posted by a Dev somewhere that the cost to upgrade outweighs the gains so therefore is not doable? Something is server based as well and that a whole other ball game outside of the game client. So yea, I also would LOVE to see this game enter the DX11 world sadly I don't think it will happen as long as everything or most everything "works".

> > > > > >

> > > > > > DirectX11? Pshh, if they were to do a graphics overhaul I certainly hope they'd upgrade to DirectX12...

> > > > > >

> > > > > > But as you and others have reported, apparently they said it would be too much work, an excuse so many developers are fond of these days. I don't see how they can expect the game to hold up to market standards for another 5+ years (despite having plenty of room for expansion within the lore/storyline, on the map, etc.) when it's already below market standards, especially if they don't intend to upgrade their engine/graphics. As another one of the developers stated, "the best way to increase the playerbase and keep the game going is through word of mouth," but I beg to differ; I believe if you provide a superior product than your competitors and appeal to those beyond the scope of your typical customer (through cutting edge technology) you'll draw in far more new players than you if were to rely on heresay from the playerbase. But of course, the former costs money (and lots of it), whereas the latter does not.

> > > > >

> > > > > Dx11 would be their option for mass acceptance (since not everyone will have a Dx12 compatible gpu or OS), plus its easier to scale up from dx12 from 11 than it is to scale up from 9-12. If they went from 9-12 (keeping 9 for older players) they would still have to design to 9, which will impact performance for 12 more.

> > > > >

> > > >

> > > > Dx12 is very standard in video cards in today's market another thing and case in point i play wow . it has DX11 which when the game goes to DX12 the video cards will be ready for it . already also too for thos that have old out dated computers and so forth can still use DX9 . not sure tho why they want to be stuck in the stone ages . but will say with DX11 in wow i get about 120 FPS . and wow has been out a lot longer than this game lol

> > >

> > > Dx12 supports only a few gens of cards from each provider. The problem is, the majority of players (especially in MMOs) will have OLDER cards than a few gens, many have cards that do not have Dx12 support, and many may have not upgraded to windows 10.

> >

> > interesting shame people like to be stuck in the stone ages. never could understand that. but if that makes them happy well that is their choice to stay their . they could always play wow till at least wow drops DX9 from its current list . also too not a lot of games support windows XP or vista any more.

>

> Remember.... Anet wants as many people as possible to buy the game, so catering to as many people as possible is important to them

It only needs DX11 at best. Regarding your statement though, with how badly the game runs for me, I can only imagine how badly it runs for someone with a worse computer. Free to play games need to be optimized well to run great on a large variety of configurations, and I would imagine the Guild Wars 2 engine is holding back potential new players in that respect.

Even Path of Exile went ahead and did tons of upgrades to their engine to support DX11 and strong multithreading. It is the best example I can think of for a game that went from terrible performance to near perfect. There's no reason Arenanet can't do the same when they are actually selling a product.

As much as I agree it does however on my mac only have 15 fps. This bad boy game still runs more fluid then eso and ffxiv which is sad. I put too much in this game to switch. Pvp, wvw. Still about 15 I can go to close to 30 if I use the ugly graphics but, I chose not to. I will say this if u play eso. The combat in eso is still slower. Finding the people for questing don't pop up as fast as gw2. The fluid of the horse popping up compared to gw2 new mount, even with no patch pops up faster. It's very weird. Even though it's at 15 fps in gw2, eso and other games are still slower. The combat tab in those other two mmos don't pick up instantly. However in 15 fps I'll stay since it runs smoother than more fps in those mmos. Which I have no idea why but it just does. We just have a fast paced game compared to other mmos. Don't know about wow. But with garbage fps I will stay lol

Two issues I can see with this: MMOs generally try to cater to as many setups as possible. By doing a massive graphics overhaul some players might get left behind. The other issue is that it might lead to another content drought, depending on how many of their teams they need to pull it off, and in how much the work would affect development.

> @"Pretty Pixie.8603" said:

> Two issues I can see with this: MMOs generally try to cater to as many setups as possible. By doing a massive graphics overhaul some players might get left behind. The other issue is that it might lead to another content drought, depending on how many of their teams they need to pull it off, and in how much the work would affect development.

It doesn't even need to be a "graphics overhaul", just support for more features/options and much stronger optimization.

> @"Pretty Pixie.8603" said:

> Two issues I can see with this: MMOs generally try to cater to as many setups as possible. By doing a massive graphics overhaul some players might get left behind. The other issue is that it might lead to another content drought, depending on how many of their teams they need to pull it off, and in how much the work would affect development.

thos that will be left behind . I tend to notice they are mostly running out of date windows os like windows xp . and so forth and tend to use outdated hardware as well from around 2002 from some of them I seen .

thing is, youve had a break from the game and come back with new players. Ok, thats great you've come back, but you havent really seen the improvements that have been ongoing in the game for several years.

Back in the days when wvw had horrific loading and lag, ok, so there are stil bugs, but we are talking about 3fps coming from players with the best rigs. the server lag was horrible. They have improved that dramatically.

Yes, I do agree that loading times to hubs have always been a problem, but again, once upon a time it was so much worse. Luckily the release of passes and new insances has improved this.

Re UI, they still update the settings choices, maybe your opinions will be addressed from your comments, but quite frankly, saying "oh, I want better than 1080p", which is already HD, I have a feeling they would be more focused on getting the lighting issues sorted out first.

you're saying that Guild Wars 1 was optimised. but GW2 is a whole new game, its a whole new mechanic with 10 times more content. the progression of hardware now compared to 2005 is huge. In 2005 'low-spec' and 'high-spec' computers had a smaller quality margin than 2017

A lot of games have the option to choose how you render it, whether it be Dx9 or Dx11/12, so even if we got a graphics overhaul + Dx upgrade, not as many people would be left behind as you might imagine, especially if they can manage to keep the old assets to be rendered in Dx9, with the new ones being loaded in Dx11. I don't even know if that's possible, but I feel like it would be.

I only got two complaints/complements to the thread:

- The game looks atrocious when not in your native resolution. I changed from 1080p to 4k sometime ago and the game looked absolutely hideous to look at. You can notice the difference in various other games when playing on different resolutions but none as huge as GW2.

- Loading times. I avoid Lion's Arch simply because it takes forever to load. I got the game on a 7200rpm HDD but I've tried it on SSD too and the loading didn't change AT ALL. I'm guessing it's because of the connection, maybe it's waiting for my PC to receive a certain amount of data before displaying the graphics because sometimes for some reason I can hear sounds and such but graphics are still stuck in the loading wallpaper. Or maybe it's taking too long to load the files from my PC?

> @Helbjorne.9368 said:

> A lot of games have the option to choose how you render it, whether it be Dx9 or Dx11/12, so even if we got a graphics overhaul + Dx upgrade, not as many people would be left behind as you might imagine, especially if they can manage to keep the old assets to be rendered in Dx9, with the new ones being loaded in Dx11. I don't even know if that's possible, but I feel like it would be.

world of war craft does that for the older players but I think that is the only game that even still does that any more at all even

I'm all for this for a simple reason : I sometimes play GW2 on my gaming laptop that's getting a bit old (poor geezer is now 3 !), and it's heating like a toaster (I can barely keep my hands on the F keys) while I'm playing a game that looks ugly because all of the settings are on low. And even then, I have 27 fps while standing idle in SW. On the very same laptop, I'm also playing TESO, and everything goes smooth and fine, with a graphics setup that I didn't mow too much compared to my regular computer.

And that really is a bad advertisement for the game...

> @Morgan.5170 said:

> I'm running an i5 3570k @ 4.4GHz and a GTX970 in 1440p highest settings. The only place my frames drop is in the Sylvari city, dropping below 30fps. I'm assuming from all the particle effects.

or it could also be if your using windows10 and the power management plan is kicking in and dropping power at them times maybe . windows10 power management plan is really bad for that and even after you change it to the high end use power plan . windows 10 will change it back later with updates or no reason at all even .

> @Danicco.3568 said:

> I only got two complaints/complements to the thread:

>

> - The game looks atrocious when not in your native resolution. I changed from 1080p to 4k sometime ago and the game looked absolutely hideous to look at. You can notice the difference in various other games when playing on different resolutions but none as huge as GW2.

> - Loading times. I avoid Lion's Arch simply because it takes forever to load. I got the game on a 7200rpm HDD but I've tried it on SSD too and the loading didn't change AT ALL. I'm guessing it's because of the connection, maybe it's waiting for my PC to receive a certain amount of data before displaying the graphics because sometimes for some reason I can hear sounds and such but graphics are still stuck in the loading wallpaper. Or maybe it's taking too long to load the files from my PC?

The loading times are really bad. The game needs to load you in with whatever is necessary and then start asynchronously loading in the rest, preferably without massive stutters.

I just want to go to town, I don't need to load stuff that is super far away from me or every single person in the area ahead of time. Even still, I don't think it should be taking this long.

Running in 1920x1080 on an i7 6700k and GTX 1070 with SSD all settings maxed. Frames can vary from 60+ to 30-40 depending on how busy things are getting. Performance issues on MMOs is something I have just learned to live with, it is notoriously difficult to optimise a game where at any one time you could have 5 actors on screen or 100. since getting my current rig I thought the performance was pretty good, until I fire up DOOM or Dark Souls 3 and realise just what my rig can handle more than comfortably in terms of visuals. I would definitely be more than happy to see an attempt at better optimisation made even at the delay of a content release.

At 1920x1200,I get better FPS in GW2 than in BDO or ESO.

I also get better FPS than those games in highly populated areas or during large RvR battles.

In WoW I get better FPS,but WoW isn't even near the same league with GW2 when it comes to

triangle count,textures,and particle effects.

So there goes that.

The UI features you ask for don't need a engine rework.

So there goes that as well.