Keybinds

chaosdurza.3291

I'm currently using a 12 side-button mouse (similar to a razer naga), and would like to change to a different style mouse. Possibly with between 2-5 side buttons. I've been using a naga and other mice like it for nearly 8 years, and I have no idea how people keybind without using a mouse with that many buttons on it. Can anyone share their keybind/set up with me, and how that made it work? Especially anyone who has moved away from using a 12 side-button mouse.

Thanks so much!

The following keybinds are the ones I use without using a 12 side-button mouse:

Movement: WASD

Jumping: Space

Dodging: Shift

About face: Z

Look behind: Mouse 5

Special action: Mouse 4

Tab-targeting: X

Interact: G

Hero panel: H

Inventory: I

Weapon skills: FC345

Utility and elite skills: TQERV

Profession mechanics (F1-F5): Mouse 3, Ctrl + F, Ctrl + E, Ctrl +R, Ctrl + T

Now you might be wondering why I use F and C for weapon skills 1 and 2. The reason is because I'm a core engineer main and I use a lot of ground target skills mainly with the grenade kit. Spamming ground target skills over and over with the 1 or 2 key is very tiresome and stretching your ring finger puts your hand in an uncomfortable position which affects your ability to kite.

With F and C especially as core engineer, you can comfortably spam grenades and be able to kite enemies effectively. And I'm glad I use these keybinds because it has helped me across every profession.

Those all sound pretty reasonable and easy to reach. Something I've been concerned about is using skills while on the move, particularly ground target. Do you ever find it's hard to move around while aiming skills? It's very easy for me to do with all my skills on my mouse, but using the keyboard for movement AND skills is something that seems like it's going to take ages to get used to.

I haven't had a 12 button mouse but I'm currently using a G400 with 3 extra buttons down the middle and 2 on the side. I use those for the actions I use most, or want instant access to. The middle 3 are auto-run, F and action camera (which I turn on and off frequently). The two on the side are dodge and mount.

My keyboard layout probably isn't very helpful because I'm left-handed and it relies on having my right hand on the keyboard. I have all my skills on the number pad and use my thumb on the arrow keys to move. Profession skills (F1-4) go along the top of the key pad, and weapon swap and take-target are on the big + and enter buttons and jump is the right ctrl key. Non-combat things like menus, keys for different mounts etc. are on the main keyboard, grouped together by function.

I think the important thing is to have something which is comfortable for you, and easy to remember. You don't want to be in combat and trying to remember which button is which.

> @"chaosdurza.3291" said:

> Those all sound pretty reasonable and easy to reach. Something I've been concerned about is using skills while on the move, particularly ground target. Do you ever find it's hard to move around while aiming skills? It's very easy for me to do with all my skills on my mouse, but using the keyboard for movement AND skills is something that seems like it's going to take ages to get used to.

As the old saying goes: "practice makes perfect". Trying to use ground target skills with the keybinds I use especially when using Look Behind for kiting purposes can be a bit difficult to get the hang of, but if you practice enough, you'll find yourself smoothly turning your camera while holding your Look Behind key, using your ground target skills and be able to move forward and sideways. You don't have to stretch out your ring finger to use the 1 skill and you don't have to move your middle finger from the forward key to the 2 skill.

I use my mouse keys for inventory, interact, special targeting and stuff like that, while all skills go on keyboard. Mouse buttons are really useful for games like this, but GW2 has less buttons needed compared to some other games. you can try using ESDF instead of WASD, maybe that helps you.

I mostly use mouse for moving around and interactions. I changed keybinds for the majority of combat skills so I can use the right hand for movements and the left hand for rotations. My hands are small, hence, the most used skills are clustered together for easier reach.

ESDF and mouse for movement (I use ESDF only in JPs).

F-skills (F1-F5): same as default

1 - switch weapons

` - stow weapons

skills 1-5 : moved to 2-6

q - heal

w - 180-degree turn

r, t, c - utility

v - elite

tab - special skill

a - dodge (+ mouse button)

7 - autorun (+ mouse button)

8 - walk/run (+ mouse button)

g - interact (middle mouse button)

spacebar - jump/automatically activated mount skill (such as teleports for jackals, long jumps for raptors)

F6-F12: LFG, TP, Hero, Guild, and similar windows

x - mount/dismount

c,v - mount skills 1,2

z - auto-targeting on/off

Enter - switch focus to chat/send chat message

I also use Shift/Alt/Cmd + key for individual mounts, commander tag skills, and other less-used skills and options

I also occasionally use numpad for zoom in/out and movement keys.

-----------------

I play on a Mac using full-size keyboard with numpad and SteelSeries Rival 500 mouse. Rival 500 is one of the best gaming mice for people with smaller hands regardless of the preferred grip style.

I use a Roccat Nyth, so I wouldn't buy another mouse (because I can just pop out the 12 button setup and change it to a 0/2/4/6 button setup, or other combinations by mixing the two button sizes when it's necessary) but I'll still post my binds because they are a bit out there...

**movement:** SDFX

**wep skills:**

1 - r, 2 - t, 3 - z, 4 - w, 5 - L-shift

**Profession:**

1 - kp5 (bound to middle thumb 2 mouse button), 2 - kp7 (bound to lower thumb 1 button), 3 - kp4 (bound to lower thumb 2 button), 4 - kp1 (bound to lower thumb 3 button), 5 - kp/ (bound to lower thumb 4 button) _A lot of these are somewhat out of order. They are bound to numpad keys that I use on the mouse instead since my laptop has no numpad._

**Heal & Utility:** Heal - kp9 (bound to upper thumb 1 button), 1 - kp6 (bound to upper thumb 2 button), 2 - kp3 (bound to upper thumb 3 button), 3 - kp- (bound to upper thumb 4 button), Elite - kp2 (bound to middle thumb 3 button)

**Swap Weapons:** e

**Dodge:** b

**Jump:** Space

**Stow weapons:** v

**Call target:** kp8 (bound to middle thumb 1 button)

**Lock Autotarget:** g

**Look Behind:** Mouse 3 (middle mouse button)

**About face:** L-Alt

**Show ally names:** L-Ctrl

**Special Action:** kp* (bound to middle thumb 4 button)

**Use:** A

_Those are the basics, all of the other keys for mounts, novelties and panels don't really matter.._

**I will say this, though.** Because of the way the game handles keybinds, it really bothers me that I can't rebind the keys I use to ping, place waypoints, or draw on map from L-Alt and L-Shift. _This is a QOL issue that I'm unique to so I know it's probably never going to change, but I do wish I could rebind those keys away from my weapon and about face skills._ I never use the pings or map drawing because of this and instead rely exclusively on igc to communicate with party members, which can be bulky at times.

> @"Zynk.9015" said:

> **I will say this, though.** Because of the way the game handles keybinds, it really bothers me that I can't rebind the keys I use to ping, place waypoints, or draw on map from L-Alt and L-Shift. _This is a QOL issue that I'm unique to so I know it's probably never going to change, but I do wish I could rebind those keys away from my weapon and about face skills._ I never use the pings or map drawing because of this and instead rely exclusively on igc to communicate with party members, which can be bulky at times.

It's not unique to you. Right Ctrl is my main jump key, which means it's the one I use for the griffon's wing flap. My guild always knows when I'm using treasure maps because I keep pinging the search skill in chat by accident. and it happens at various other times too. I'd really like to be able to rebind **all** the keyboard functions so I can avoid that kind of duplication.

I'm a lefty so I don't use the conventional keybinds. I use a kova (because IMO it's the best ambidextrous mouse) and I put shift, ctrl and alt on the mouse and use them to shift the keyboard.

Movement : KP8,4,5,6

left, down, right, KP7, KP8 : weapon skills

middle mouse : swap weapons

ctrl + above : utility skills.

alt + above : profession skills.

shift + above : targeting keys

KP+ : interact

Kp* : mount

KP enter : about face

I also have jump, swim down and special action on the mouse.