Elite Specializations without an expansion?

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > Buying expansions is not pay to win

> >

> > Sure it's P2W as you get a competitive advantage from it. It's just not a P2W microtransaction which is why no one complains about it.

> This.

> Especs buyable from gemshop _would_ be p2w microtransactions however(even if there would be nothing "micro" about them).

>

To win what, exactly? Or is this strictly in the sense of the PvP/WvW crowd?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > Buying expansions is not pay to win

> > >

> > > Sure it's P2W as you get a competitive advantage from it. It's just not a P2W microtransaction which is why no one complains about it.

> > This.

> > Especs buyable from gemshop _would_ be p2w microtransactions however(even if there would be nothing "micro" about them).

> >

>

> To win what, exactly? Or is this strictly in the sense of the PvP/WvW crowd?

Oh, are you suggesting that "p2w" cannot exist in PvE environment?

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > Buying expansions is not pay to win

> > > >

> > > > Sure it's P2W as you get a competitive advantage from it. It's just not a P2W microtransaction which is why no one complains about it.

> > > This.

> > > Especs buyable from gemshop _would_ be p2w microtransactions however(even if there would be nothing "micro" about them).

> > >

> >

> > To win what, exactly? Or is this strictly in the sense of the PvP/WvW crowd?

> Oh, are you suggesting that "p2w" cannot exist in PvE environment?

>

Yeah, I think so. I mean, is there an end-game goal in PvE that one can achieve at the expense of other players? How can I "win" GW2 and you lose?

> @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > @"kharmin.7683" said:

> > > > @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > > > > @"Tails.9372" said:

> > > > > > @"Linken.6345" said:

> > > > > > Buying expansions is not pay to win

> > > > >

> > > > > Sure it's P2W as you get a competitive advantage from it. It's just not a P2W microtransaction which is why no one complains about it.

> > > > This.

> > > > Especs buyable from gemshop _would_ be p2w microtransactions however(even if there would be nothing "micro" about them).

> > > >

> > >

> > > To win what, exactly? Or is this strictly in the sense of the PvP/WvW crowd?

> > Oh, are you suggesting that "p2w" cannot exist in PvE environment?

> >

>

> Yeah, I think so. I mean, is there an end-game goal in PvE that one can achieve at the expense of other players? How can I "win" GW2 and you lose?

Under normal circumstances I'd agree with this sentiment, but unfortunately GW2 has raids. Now to be clear I don't consider an elite spec, if properly balanced, inherently pay to win, but I do understand where people are coming form. It is a quirk of player psychology that group content demands what they call efficiency, but what is actually completion speed via power. In effect, if you are considered under-powered (usually described as low level or poorly equipped) getting in a group can be very difficult, if not impossible. So if you pay for a feature that does grant power you create a new standard for such group based content, wherein anyone who doesn't pay for the same advantage is considered under-powered, and socially stigmatized and/or barred from joining groups or guilds.

This is why I personally HATE the concept of raid content in general; it exploits holes in the gamer mindset that turn PvE content into a form of experiential PvP. Like the old catch 22; I need experience to get this job, but I need the job to get experience. IE; I need better gear to raid, but I need to raid for better gear. Once you add monetization to that mix you create a situation that isn't so much pay-to-win as it is "pay or not be allowed to play at all."

• 1 month later...

> @"Fenom.9457" said:

> I’d like maybe mini expansions. One type could be elite specializations only for $20-25, and they thematically tie into the current story, and those new maps have hero points for players who purchase the mini expansion

Its funny to me, $20-$25 seems a tad expensive for elite specializations, yet somehow Anet believes that its an appropriate price point for a single mount skin.