NOBODY got banned for using ARCDPS! - dev post on Reddit

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

> I'm confused:

> So one person had multiple accounts banned due to hacking and THAT ONE person went on to complain about it causing the community to believe many different individuals had their accounts banned?

>

> If this is correct, I am honestly amazed.

Idk, it's I guess kind of impressive, but not really surprising? Lack of official communication creates a void for the unscrupulous to fill . . .

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

> @"Clyan.1593" said:

> I'm confused:

> So one person had multiple accounts banned due to hacking and THAT ONE person went on to complain about it causing the community to believe many different individuals had their accounts banned?

>

> If this is correct, I am honestly amazed.

No, that's not correct. It's explained in the linked Reddit thread. One person cheating in PvP and many, many other accounts (owned by others) shared with that person.

Well tbh, as this thread seems to of meandered way off course, as ever.. the only thing left to say is that cheaters gotta cheat and banhammers have a use.

Unfortunately as far as GW2 goes - too little, too late imo. The game has been heavily ingrained with all kinds of cheats and hacks many of which ANET have only themselves to blame with their grey area wordings in ToS and lack of care when considering things like AFK farming, node teleporting and yep good old PvP wintrading like forever.

When you allow certain things to grow in game without constraint it will always become abused. There have been a plethora of reports about certain in game actions that get answered by grey area replies, which the many hack sites and cheats have simply taken advantage of for a long time now.

So yeah, the cheat(s) got what they deserved and more has to be done on a much more regular basis, but like always within a few days/weeks everything will fall back to normal until next year when a few cries of ANET foul play will surface once more - too little, too late.

> @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > >

> > > > As it was my sister nearly got our account banned because two of her ways of making gold were scamming newbies and scamming people who would pay for ERP. Part of me thinks if you were scammed by a 7 year old you had it coming, but I'm still glad we caught her before the GMs did.

> > >

> > > Wait .. 7 year old .. ERP? Ewwww.

> >

> > My reaction as well.

>

> Post said she was **scamming** people "willing to pay for ERP". *Scamming* is the operative word here, they never said that

> a) She delivered any ERP, *nor*

> b) any of the suckers knew how old she was.

You're right, that was the scam. She'd take their money and then log out, never actually did anything with them or had any intention of doing anything, and certainly didn't admit she was only 7. But it's still disturbing and I hope most of them would be appropriate horrified if they had any idea who they were talking to (but this was back when the number 1 rule on the internet was you don't ever give any personal info, even your age or what country you live in). Part of the problem though is she didn't think she was doing anything wrong, either by offering to engage in ERP or by taking their money and logging out, she just thought it was funny and a really easy way to get gold.

It served as a good illustration for me of why some things are not considered appropriate for children, because she really wasn't able to understand the implications of either. (I don't think I was either - I was only 12, but I knew it wasn't right and could get her in serious trouble so my brother and I made sure it never happened again.) And also a good illustration that you can't ever completely trust someone online because other than that she was really friendly and helpful in UO, she spent most of her time crafting and would give new players a discount on their first set of equipment (presumably not the same ones she scammed out of their starter items) and helped people find venues and decorations for RP weddings.

(And if anyone's wondering she's never done anything like that since and has grown up to be a normal, well adjusted woman, and a good mother who I'm sure would go ballistic if she caught her kids doing anything like that.)

> @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > @"Tanner Blackfeather.6509" said:

> > > @"Ashen.2907" said:

> > > > @"Donari.5237" said:

> > > > > @"Danikat.8537" said:

> > > >

> > > > > As it was my sister nearly got our account banned because two of her ways of making gold were scamming newbies and scamming people who would pay for ERP. Part of me thinks if you were scammed by a 7 year old you had it coming, but I'm still glad we caught her before the GMs did.

> > > >

> > > > Wait .. 7 year old .. ERP? Ewwww.

> > >

> > > My reaction as well.

> >

> > Post said she was **scamming** people "willing to pay for ERP". *Scamming* is the operative word here, they never said that

> > a) She delivered any ERP, *nor*

> > b) any of the suckers knew how old she was.

>

> You're right, that was the scam. She'd take their money and then log out, never actually did anything with them or had any intention of doing anything, and certainly didn't admit she was only 7. But it's still disturbing and I hope most of them would be appropriate horrified if they had any idea who they were talking to (but this was back when the number 1 rule on the internet was you don't ever give any personal info, even your age or what country you live in). Part of the problem though is she didn't think she was doing anything wrong, either by offering to engage in ERP or by taking their money and logging out, she just thought it was funny and a really easy way to get gold.

>

> It served as a good illustration for me of why some things are not considered appropriate for children, because she really wasn't able to understand the implications of either. (I don't think I was either - I was only 12, but I knew it wasn't right and could get her in serious trouble so my brother and I made sure it never happened again.) And also a good illustration that you can't ever completely trust someone online because other than that she was really friendly and helpful in UO, she spent most of her time crafting and would give new players a discount on their first set of equipment (presumably not the same ones she scammed out of their starter items) and helped people find venues and decorations for RP weddings.

>

> (And if anyone's wondering she's never done anything like that since and has grown up to be a normal, well adjusted woman, and a good mother who I'm sure would go ballistic if she caught her kids doing anything like that.)

But the simple fact remains.. whether any players got duped here into handing over real money or ingame currency or simply sharing their accounts to game the system, they were looking to cheat their way in PvP. Paying another person to get them there and/or sharing their accounts for others to help them cheat not ok!..

Account bans of sizeable length or permanent sounds just about the right course of action by ANET.

Honestly, anyone that gave out their account information to a stranger just to get higher PvP rankings in a game, I can't feel any sympathy for. They knew the risks and they got caught. Trying to play the victim card is really not doing them any favors. Of course, this is only for those that actually did what was stated. Those that got accidentally swept up in the ban wave, I hope they get their accounts back and they are more secured.