Server options.

Boxer.5369

I never was much of a fan of the mega server and it would be nice to see server options such as the server drop down options in the first Guild Wars. For example: American district 1, American district 2 and so on, or just Districts. But rather than just having this only in the cities, like it is on the first Guild Wars, have this in the entire game.

I know this is more of a suggestion. I didn't know where to post this. This post is just a idea.

> @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> Curious what you hope to achieve with this? The only thing I can think of is the ability to pick a less populated map instance ? (which wouldn't work with MegaServer since it closes empty instances)

It would also help when quest steps get stuck, disabling you from continuing, without having to turn to using LFG to try and reroute yourself to a different instance.

"Aw snap, NPC got stuck in place? guess i'll just go to district 2!" It really cuts out the awkward LFG middle-man.

> @"Neil.6025" said:

> > @"joneirikb.7506" said:

> > Curious what you hope to achieve with this? The only thing I can think of is the ability to pick a less populated map instance ? (which wouldn't work with MegaServer since it closes empty instances)

>

> It would also help when quest steps get stuck, disabling you from continuing, without having to turn to using LFG to try and reroute yourself to a different instance.

>

> "Aw snap, NPC got stuck in place? guess i'll just go to district 2!" It really cuts out the awkward LFG middle-man.

Ah that would be a good use, at least until all the instances bugged out. Didn't think about that, thanks :)

So a way to change between the existing opened instances could have a use (if any).

Most of the players in the first Guild Wars usually all went to the first district for LFG and for social chats. With the different districts, the population never was cut back. I usually went to the other districts to relax and the less populated districts tended to lag less. If I remember correctly, there was also EU districts and perhaps Asia.

Guild Wars 2, the population does get less with a timer. But it has a timer.

The other case where it could be useful is for players to vacate maps, leaving it for those focusing on the meta or something else requiring a large player count.

It is not uncommon that I find myself on a map doing a meta or other activity that I'm not doing and don't have interest doing (maybe it is going to run later than I can play, I'm working on an achievement, etc). But there really isn't a way for me to leave the map to make space for someone else. I suppose once the map is really full, I can log out and log back in again, and hope I get tossed to a different map.

The downside to choosing maps is you may get players hopping maps looking for an event to be in a certain state, meta closer to completion, etc, which may not be great in its own way. I've also noticed when populate is low and I volunteer to switch maps, oftentimes many of the resources nodes can be re-harvested. If players could easily cycle through all the active maps, that could make things worse.

> @"Boxer.5369" said:

> I guess what I meant when I first wrote the original post is to still have a mega server, but have a district options that we could pick from.

>

> Don't worry folks, this was just a idea I had and it will never go through. :)

You could have made it alot easier to understand by simply saying **choose instance** instead of involving "american district 1" (what does american even have to do with anything lol?).

Also, this is something we suggest all the way back when megaservers was introduced so its an old idea. Anet never acted upon it then and they wont now thats for sure - just like the idea of keeping city hubs server specific (or imagine if you combined it and could visit a specific server).