Advice on Black Moa and Black Widow

Brycar.2651

I’ve never played original guild wars but considering it to earn the Black Moa and Black Widow pets for Guild Wars 2. Do I have to play Ranger in original guilds wars and earn them so they transfer to GW2. Or can I play any profession and use the point system in Hall Of Monuments? I’ve been reading the wiki but a little fuzzy.

Gw2 rewards in gw1 are exclusively earned through hall of monuments. Each reward requires a specific number of points. Black widow requires 30 points which is a lot. For your progress see https://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

You can earn the points using profession. With the dual profession system you could also use at least some power of any other profession.

To give you some idea of what is required. I think you need to finish all expansions (which I enjoyed) but there will be some grinding involved (not my cup of tea). It will require hundreds of hours to complete. Most challenging will probably be getting people for the tougher missions and dungeons.

> @"Brycar.2651" said:

> I’ve never played original guild wars but considering it to earn the Black Moa and Black Widow pets for Guild Wars 2. Do I have to play Ranger in original guilds wars and earn them so they transfer to GW2. Or can I play any profession and use the point system in Hall Of Monuments? I’ve been reading the wiki but a little fuzzy.

You can play whatever you want. The important point is that you get enough points towards "Champion of the Gods".

FYI, the pets are basically covered by other GW2 ranger pets which have the same stats. They only differ visually.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Brycar.2651" said:

> > I’ve never played original guild wars but considering it to earn the Black Moa and Black Widow pets for Guild Wars 2. Do I have to play Ranger in original guilds wars and earn them so they transfer to GW2. Or can I play any profession and use the point system in Hall Of Monuments? I’ve been reading the wiki but a little fuzzy.

>

> You can play whatever you want. The important point is that you get enough points towards "Champion of the Gods".

>

> FYI, the pets are basically covered by other GW2 ranger pets which have the same stats. They only differ visually.

Not quite. The Black Widow is at 30 points, Closer to the Stars. Champion of the Gods is 50 points.

[[GW Wiki]](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Reward_Calculator)

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > @"Brycar.2651" said:

> > > I’ve never played original guild wars but considering it to earn the Black Moa and Black Widow pets for Guild Wars 2. Do I have to play Ranger in original guilds wars and earn them so they transfer to GW2. Or can I play any profession and use the point system in Hall Of Monuments? I’ve been reading the wiki but a little fuzzy.

> >

> > You can play whatever you want. The important point is that you get enough points towards "Champion of the Gods".

> >

> > FYI, the pets are basically covered by other GW2 ranger pets which have the same stats. They only differ visually.

>

>

> Not quite. The Black Widow is at 30 points, Closer to the Stars. Champion of the Gods is 50 points.

>

> [[GW Wiki]](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Reward_Calculator)

As I have reached CotG, I know this. Reread my post. It says _towards_ the title, referring to the track of filling your HoM.

> @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > @"Ashantara.8731" said:

> > > > @"Brycar.2651" said:

> > > > I’ve never played original guild wars but considering it to earn the Black Moa and Black Widow pets for Guild Wars 2. Do I have to play Ranger in original guilds wars and earn them so they transfer to GW2. Or can I play any profession and use the point system in Hall Of Monuments? I’ve been reading the wiki but a little fuzzy.

> > >

> > > You can play whatever you want. The important point is that you get enough points towards "Champion of the Gods".

> > >

> > > FYI, the pets are basically covered by other GW2 ranger pets which have the same stats. They only differ visually.

> >

> >

> > Not quite. The Black Widow is at 30 points, Closer to the Stars. Champion of the Gods is 50 points.

> >

> > [[GW Wiki]](https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Hall_of_Monuments_Reward_Calculator)

>

> As I have reached CotG, I know this. Reread my post. It says _towards_ the title, referring to the track of filling your HoM.

Yeah, I have CotG also. Saying towards the 50 point Champion of the Gods rather than reaching the 30 point Closer to the Stars is very unclear advice to someone who doesn’t play the game and who asks for information on the stopping point of what is needed, especially since the title track isn’t named Champion of the Gods and googling that doesn’t bring it up except as part of the HoM.

Have been taking a break from gw2, decided to finish my other steam games.....first one being gw1 complete collection XD. Almost very close to finishing the eotn story and get my 30 HOM points (to get the spider and everything else, I believe the other 20 points are just titles which I'm not interested in). Allow me to give you some tips on my 4 month journey :tongue:

For a bit of context my stubborn dumbbutt decided to do the campaigns in order. Tbh big mistake on my part, struggled without heroes for Prophecies (order is prophecies, factions, nightfall, and eye of the north). I'd recommend doing them in reverse actually; eotn 1st get some heroes easily and losing on missions is VERY forgiving, nightfall get more heroes in the story. factions is short in terms of story, and last prophecies which is the longest out of all campaigns imo. Now for the tips:

* The very first one and this might be pretty obvious but start the nightfall campaign, it will take you to Kamadan. Idk why but Kamadan is basically the marketplace, EVERYONE is trading stuff there. And since everyone is there it's a great place to get help from the kind players that still live and breathe this game. Join a guild, make friends, ask for help for missions, for your insignias, for a build. And be ready to trade, cuz in my experience you will need money to buy materials, also salvage whatever unidentified armor for materials and sellabale upgrades/insignias/runes. Whenever you can buy an ecto or two ( they are 3-4plat. plat is 1000 gold, gold is the standard coin dont be intimidated).

* Now do the campaigns in the order I suggested. EOTN requires to finish the story, if your party dies no penalty keep trying until you finish the mission(s) AND you should get ALL tapestries needed to activate the HOM fully. For the others you need to get MASTERS, and some of them are a pain. Nightfall masters is to finish every mission usually doing some extra work related to said mission. Factions masters is to finish every mission within a certain time, usually less than 20 min if it's a long mission or 8 if it's a short one. And lastly prophecies masters finish every mission with it's BONUS task, something somewhat unrelated to the mission in the area.

* Heroes. If you finish all the story campaigns you should have: Koss, Dunkoro, Melonni, Tahlkora, Zhed Shadowhoof, Magrid the Sly OR Master of Whispers, General Morghan (all of these are nightfall heroes, when you finish the story you will be taken to a credits scene area where you get quests for all optional NF heroes) Ogden, Vekk, Gwen, Jora, Pyre Fierceshot, and Livia. To put heroes in you HOM you need to get them hero armor. You get HA by doing challenge missions, wiki them it's not really hard to get. M.O.X is also an optional party and prob will actually be one of the 1st you'll get, he hangs out near LA if I remember. For the pet statue kill 2 birds with one stone, when you finish factions and arrive at the credits area, search the are for a imperial/regular phoenix, it will count for the rare and normal pet HOM points.

* Armor. you need at least 4 generic class elite armors (wiki them) and 1 specific elite armor set, none of which require a helm so ignore it and save some money/items. Factions there will be a point where you choose what.....faction to join. The Luxons or the Kurzicks. You get reputation points by doing their quest, challenge missions, and regular story. you can only exchange points with whatever faction has the most points, you can get skills, points for guild, and exclusive item (jade shard for luxon, amber chunks for kurzick). You need at least 70 jades/chunks to buy the armor and a stack of different items depending on your class.

* Weapons. You need at least 3 destroyer weapons, 1 tormented weapon, and 1 oppressor weapon. This one I'm a bit unfamilar with.......because a friend gifted me an oppressor weapon, traded 60 ectos for a tormented weapon with someone, and there's is a dungeon that will be available once you finish eotn story where you can buy destroyer weapons, if you salvaged ad saved every material should have no trouble in buying them: 10 plat, 20 diamonds and onyx gemstones, and 200 iron ingots.

* Minis............yeah sorry, this one my friend was freakingly generous and gifted me like a lot ofminis, uncluding some rare and a unique one........traded fair and square some plat for like 10 extra common. Before agreeing to a trade you can check if the mini is DEDICATED!!! if it is cancel because you can't use an already dedicated mini. Also you can't use the SAME MINI: say you get a mini horse from someone, and another mini horse from someone else, you can only use 1 the other will be useless, make sure you don't get a repeat.

Again for perspective I've been playing gw1 for around 5 months, doing quests, challenge missions, saving materials, selling useless items, and getting gold. If am doing this from memory to buy all necessary materials, weapons, and armors you need around 300 plat. Again I was super lucky with the minis, especially the mini black moa chick unique one. This is what I have for my HOM:

1. Devotion (minis) have 6 points, again got gifted or traded to get these

1 point-any min statue.

1 point-1 rare mini statue.

1 point-1 unique mini statue.

2 point-20 mini statues.

1 point-30 mini statues.

2. Fellowship (heroes) have 6 points. Finish all story normally and you'll get a fair number of heroes, M.O.X near LA and imperial phoenix ending area of Factions.

1 point-any hero statue.

1 point-any pet statue.

1 point-any rare pet statue

2 point-5 companion statue

1 point-10 companion statue

3. Honor (titles) have 8 points. Didn’t do pvp title because it’s crazy expensive. Link your gw2 account and get masters in all campaigns to get “Protector” of tyria, elona, and cantha titles as well as “Hero” of tyria, elona, and canthi titles. 1 title=1 statue.

3 point-accounts linked

2 point-any statue

3 point-5 statues

4. Resilience (armor) have 5 points. Buy necessary materials and have plat ready to buy 5 elite armors of your choice, one of them specifically being either luxon or kurzick. This one was the toughest one for me. And remember you don’t need the helm to dedicate the armor should be fine with boots, pants, vest, and gloves

1 point-any armor statue

1 point-3 armor statue

2 point-5 armor statue

1 point-luxon or kurzick armor statue

5. Valor (weapons) have 5 points. Again destroyer weapons are easy to craft, oppressor got gifted, and tormented is expensive, traded it for 60 ectos.

1 point-any weapon statue

1 point-any destroyer weapon statue

1 point-any oppressor weapon statue

1 point-any tormented statue

1 point-5 weapon statue

> @"eduardo.1436" said:

> Have been taking a break from gw2, decided to finish my other steam games.....first one being gw1 complete collection XD. Almost very close to finishing the eotn story and get my 30 HOM points (to get the spider and everything else, I believe the other 20 points are just titles which I'm not interested in). Allow me to give you some tips on my 4 month journey :tongue:

>

> For a bit of context my stubborn dumbbutt decided to do the campaigns in order. Tbh big mistake on my part, struggled without heroes for Prophecies (order is prophecies, factions, nightfall, and eye of the north). I'd recommend doing them in reverse actually; eotn 1st get some heroes easily and losing on missions is VERY forgiving, nightfall get more heroes in the story. factions is short in terms of story, and last prophecies which is the longest out of all campaigns imo. Now for the tips:

>

> * The very first one and this might be pretty obvious but start the nightfall campaign, it will take you to Kamadan. Idk why but Kamadan is basically the marketplace, EVERYONE is trading stuff there. And since everyone is there it's a great place to get help from the kind players that still live and breathe this game. Join a guild, make friends, ask for help for missions, for your insignias, for a build. And be ready to trade, cuz in my experience you will need money to buy materials, also salvage whatever unidentified armor for materials and sellabale upgrades/insignias/runes. Whenever you can buy an ecto or two ( they are 3-4plat. plat is 1000 gold, gold is the standard coin dont be intimidated).

> * Now do the campaigns in the order I suggested. EOTN requires to finish the story, if your party dies no penalty keep trying until you finish the mission(s) AND you should get ALL tapestries needed to activate the HOM fully. For the others you need to get MASTERS, and some of them are a pain. Nightfall masters is to finish every mission usually doing some extra work related to said mission. Factions masters is to finish every mission within a certain time, usually less than 20 min if it's a long mission or 8 if it's a short one. And lastly prophecies masters finish every mission with it's BONUS task, something somewhat unrelated to the mission in the area.

> * Heroes. If you finish all the story campaigns you should have: Koss, Dunkoro, Melonni, Tahlkora, Zhed Shadowhoof, Magrid the Sly OR Master of Whispers, General Morghan (all of these are nightfall heroes, when you finish the story you will be taken to a credits scene area where you get quests for all optional NF heroes) Ogden, Vekk, Gwen, Jora, Pyre Fierceshot, and Livia. To put heroes in you HOM you need to get them hero armor. You get HA by doing challenge missions, wiki them it's not really hard to get. M.O.X is also an optional party and prob will actually be one of the 1st you'll get, he hangs out near LA if I remember. For the pet statue kill 2 birds with one stone, when you finish factions and arrive at the credits area, search the are for a imperial/regular phoenix, it will count for the rare and normal pet HOM points.

> * Armor. you need at least 4 generic class elite armors (wiki them) and 1 specific elite armor set, none of which require a helm so ignore it and save some money/items. Factions there will be a point where you choose what.....faction to join. The Luxons or the Kurzicks. You get reputation points by doing their quest, challenge missions, and regular story. you can only exchange points with whatever faction has the most points, you can get skills, points for guild, and exclusive item (jade shard for luxon, amber chunks for kurzick). You need at least 70 jades/chunks to buy the armor and a stack of different items depending on your class.

> * Weapons. You need at least 3 destroyer weapons, 1 tormented weapon, and 1 oppressor weapon. This one I'm a bit unfamilar with.......because a friend gifted me an oppressor weapon, traded 60 ectos for a tormented weapon with someone, and there's is a dungeon that will be available once you finish eotn story where you can buy destroyer weapons, if you salvaged ad saved every material should have no trouble in buying them: 10 plat, 20 diamonds and onyx gemstones, and 200 iron ingots.

> * Minis............yeah sorry, this one my friend was freakingly generous and gifted me like a lot ofminis, uncluding some rare and a unique one........traded fair and square some plat for like 10 extra common. Before agreeing to a trade you can check if the mini is DEDICATED!!! if it is cancel because you can't use an already dedicated mini. Also you can't use the SAME MINI: say you get a mini horse from someone, and another mini horse from someone else, you can only use 1 the other will be useless, make sure you don't get a repeat.

>

>

> Again for perspective I've been playing gw1 for around 5 months, doing quests, challenge missions, saving materials, selling useless items, and getting gold. If am doing this from memory to buy all necessary materials, weapons, and armors you need around 300 plat. Again I was super lucky with the minis, especially the mini black moa chick unique one. This is what I have for my HOM:

> 1. Devotion (minis) have 6 points, again got gifted or traded to get these

> 1 point-any min statue.

> 1 point-1 rare mini statue.

> 1 point-1 unique mini statue.

> 2 point-20 mini statues.

> 1 point-30 mini statues.

> 2. Fellowship (heroes) have 6 points. Finish all story normally and you'll get a fair number of heroes, M.O.X near LA and imperial phoenix ending area of Factions.

> 1 point-any hero statue.

> 1 point-any pet statue.

> 1 point-any rare pet statue

> 2 point-5 companion statue

> 1 point-10 companion statue

> 3. Honor (titles) have 8 points. Didn’t do pvp title because it’s crazy expensive. Link your gw2 account and get masters in all campaigns to get “Protector” of tyria, elona, and cantha titles as well as “Hero” of tyria, elona, and canthi titles. 1 title=1 statue.

> 3 point-accounts linked

> 2 point-any statue

> 3 point-5 statues

> 4. Resilience (armor) have 5 points. Buy necessary materials and have plat ready to buy 5 elite armors of your choice, one of them specifically being either luxon or kurzick. This one was the toughest one for me. And remember you don’t need the helm to dedicate the armor should be fine with boots, pants, vest, and gloves

> 1 point-any armor statue

> 1 point-3 armor statue

> 2 point-5 armor statue

> 1 point-luxon or kurzick armor statue

> 5. Valor (weapons) have 5 points. Again destroyer weapons are easy to craft, oppressor got gifted, and tormented is expensive, traded it for 60 ectos.

> 1 point-any weapon statue

> 1 point-any destroyer weapon statue

> 1 point-any oppressor weapon statue

> 1 point-any tormented statue

> 1 point-5 weapon statue

>

Thank you! Very helpful. And now I’m even more interested in learning the lore. Hearing those names in GW2 but not knowing the deep history