Necro's in group and solo..

Wraith.8127

So, I'm trying to figure out my roles as I level up in the Necro world. I've found the class pretty survivable because of Shrouding out with US. Basically right now I go staff and dropping AOE dps and debuffs when I've done dungeons, and Axe and Dagger dps when running solo in Open world PVE. I'm pretty comfortable with these play styles. Is there anything I should be on the look out for that will help along the way? Particular specializations or skills I might be overlooking? Right now I run death magic and soul reaping. (level 55).

Fo leveling you should invest in 100% offensive traits, skills and gear. Pick everyting that increases your damage. For gear this means: 1. power 2. precision 3. ferocity. The mobs are so easy and don't apply boons to themself or conditions to you that you don't need to care about anything but damage.

For the endgame: core necro is useless, reaper is the power dps spec and scourge the hybrid damage support spec.

New player lvling up a Necro along with several other professions and I have to agree with core being useless. Even with reaper the damage doesn't seem to compare and provides nothing to teams. Its stupidly tanky to the point of redundancy in pve but then moving to pvp it doesn't matter. You don't get to play because you have no access to blinds, stability, mobility or anything. All the health means nothing as you don't get to play your class because you can't move or cast spells because you are perma stunned, dazed, immobilized, and killed. Mesmer and Guardian best so far in terms of all game modes. But for some reason I just keep coming back to Necro regardless of its inability to do anything...

soul reaping: shroud stuff

and spite for weapon DPS needs it with builds no matter what since it has stuff that effects weapons. If you are condi? gonna need for scepters ax? well, it effects that too, depending on if you go power or condi.

blood magic: support and some sustain.

Death magic we like to pretend most of the time it doesn't exist. It might be more useful now but maybe only in SPVP.

Curses: The last one is actually for conditions.