nerf or buff?

Ronnie Hu.1694

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> 5% damage reduction is more or less equivalent to 150 toughness I believe, so it was a small nerf to thick skin and moderate buff to spiked armor, overall it’s a small and inconsequential buff, I have no idea why they put that in there honestly it seems extremely random.

They are removing toughness from traits (esp. minor traits you can't deselect) globally that you can pick damage reduction traits without accidently becoming the mob tank in pve (mobs tend to focus the player with the highest toughness value). They mentioned that as one of their main goals to achieve an increased build variety.

180 toughness is equivalent to 5% damage reduction at 3600 armor. Below this value 180 toughness becomes better than 5%. At base armor 180 toughness is a damage reduction of roughly 8%. For the other mentioned trait it's quite the opposite. 10% is way better than 150 toughness.

Maybe it's time for full diviner and high protection/retal uptime for near 50% damage reduction. Imminent Threat, your time to shine is now! But really, 10 sec retal from Spiked Armor, 10 sec from IT, with some nice rune that gives protection and Guard Counter, that could be pretty interesting.

> @"KrHome.1920" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > 5% damage reduction is more or less equivalent to 150 toughness I believe, so it was a small nerf to thick skin and moderate buff to spiked armor, overall it’s a small and inconsequential buff, I have no idea why they put that in there honestly it seems extremely random.

> They are removing toughness from traits (esp. minor traits you can't deselect) globally that you can pick damage reduction traits without accidently becoming the mob tank in pve (mobs tend to focus the player with the highest toughness value). They mentioned that as one of their main goals to achieve an increased build variety.

>

> 180 toughness is equivalent to 5% damage reduction at 3600 armor. Below this value 180 toughness becomes better than 5%. At base armor 180 toughness is a damage reduction of roughly 8%. For the other mentioned trait it's quite the opposite. 10% is way better than 150 toughness.

>

Oh I see that's a good catch, didn't know they were doing that actually. Good insight ty.

> @"cryorion.9532" said:

> Maybe it's time for full diviner and high protection/retal uptime for near 50% damage reduction. Imminent Threat, your time to shine is now! But really, 10 sec retal from Spiked Armor, 10 sec from IT, with some nice rune that gives protection and Guard Counter, that could be pretty interesting.

Rune of durability.

> @"Head Kracker.4790" said:

> Ive been fiddling with runes of scrapper and damage reduction foods. this really is making me like the defense line more than tactics

Scrapper or Durability would work. Scrapper is only within a certain range threshold though so be mindful of that. Durability along with Guard Counter and boon duration gives high uptime of protection. But if you were not going Spellbreaker then totally run Scrapper.

> @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > @"Head Kracker.4790" said:

> > Ive been fiddling with runes of scrapper and damage reduction foods. this really is making me like the defense line more than tactics

>

> Scrapper or Durability would work. Scrapper is only within a certain range threshold though so be mindful of that. Durability along with Guard Counter and boon duration gives high uptime of protection. But if you were not going Spellbreaker then totally run Scrapper.

Scrapper Rune is straight up inferior to Rune of the Fighter/Brawler btw, check the stats on it

> @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > @"Head Kracker.4790" said:

> > > Ive been fiddling with runes of scrapper and damage reduction foods. this really is making me like the defense line more than tactics

> >

> > Scrapper or Durability would work. Scrapper is only within a certain range threshold though so be mindful of that. Durability along with Guard Counter and boon duration gives high uptime of protection. But if you were not going Spellbreaker then totally run Scrapper.

>

> Scrapper Rune is straight up inferior to Rune of the Fighter/Brawler btw, check the stats on it

>

>

It's more of choice based on %damage reduction than stats.

> @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > @"ProverbsofHell.2307" said:

> > > @"Lan Deathrider.5910" said:

> > > > @"Head Kracker.4790" said:

> > > > Ive been fiddling with runes of scrapper and damage reduction foods. this really is making me like the defense line more than tactics

> > >

> > > Scrapper or Durability would work. Scrapper is only within a certain range threshold though so be mindful of that. Durability along with Guard Counter and boon duration gives high uptime of protection. But if you were not going Spellbreaker then totally run Scrapper.

> >

> > Scrapper Rune is straight up inferior to Rune of the Fighter/Brawler btw, check the stats on it

> >

> >

>

> It's more of choice based on %damage reduction than stats.

Yep and since your going into melee alot anyways its usually pretty active. I mean how many guides for any style of war are double melee builds?having a inherent 15%ish damage reduction with a variable 7% alongside 10 off foods to a near or at 30% seems like a nice overall boost to sustaining being upright. Admittedly that percentage goes down in a WVW PVP zone but in general...great overworld build