How satisfied are you with Scourge?

EremiteAngel.9765

Neutral

Scourge is a good first attempt. I like the change to shroud from a transform to a set of function keys. I also like the condi burst from fire and the attempt at significant group utility.

That it needs adjustments after so radical a change was something I expected.

Necromancer could use additional skills and passive abilities for support besides condition management, which all professions can do to some extent, and healing, which is still better supported by other professions. Something else is necessary in terms of group support if dps remains middling.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im neutral for some reasons.

It feels good to play with shades, you have 3 detonable zones which you can control pretty easy.

It feels that i can do better with scourge than with reaper, i have more option available to play.

But

Barrier mechanics doesnt feel good enough to give good suport, the thing about barrier is that its duration is too short, sand cascade is not powerful enough to save people from bursts of damage and we have 0 healing.

Shade skills are better than staff marks, they do about exactly and better than staff skills.

> @Maunzi.3764 said:

> > Honestly, Scourge is no where near as bad as this forum makes it out to be.

>

> Meanwhile, in content that matters, scourge has simply no damage that is worth to bring, nor any useful support anyone wants. I guess you're fine in the open world though :)

>

> That seems to be the common denominator between people that say things like ~and don't know how to adapt~ or ~I'm totally fine~ - they're doing faceroll open world content, and don't realize that everyone else is talking about raids, where different standards apply, and we can actually measure your performance using various tools. And the objective result of these is pretty clear:

>

> Scourge is bad. In fact, it performs so badly that the devs have already confirmed a buff to be incoming.

*in PvE yes. But in WvW (and possibly pvp - I don't play it so I dunno) it is still incredibly powerful.

I get it, sand shade stacking was a bit OP, but the way it was handled was not good at all.

The two biggest issues I see with Scourge is the fact that there is a cooldown on F1 and the life force cost/generation for F1-F5. The cooldown is what makes the class feel clunky as the synergy with things like Dhuumfire and Unyielding Blast is absolutely terrible. Desert Shroud has far too high of a cooldown of 20 seconds when compared to Death Shroud, meaning traits that rely on entering Death Shroud are far less effective for the Scourge. Because you cannot exit Sand Shroud on a whim like with Death Shroud, traits that rely on you exiting become unpredictable/unreliable and less effective.

My suggestions without having to make a long post:

* Desert Shroud, Make it an on off, reduce cooldown and lower the cost. Have it instead cost lifeforce per pulse, still pulse Torment, but lower amounts of barrier, similar to how embrace the Darkness works, but your Sand Shade would also pulse.

* Remove the cooldown on Manifest Sand Shade.

* Remove the ammo mechanic from Manifest Sand Shade and only manifest 1 small sand shade untraited. (Sand Soul and Blood as Sand will need to be retooled)

* Have Sand Savant increase the targets and radius for the character in addition to what the Sand Shade gets. (not sure if it already does this)

* Reduce the cost for Nefarious Favor, Sand Cascade and Garish Pillar.

Speaking from a PvE PoV only:

- liked it in the beginning very much. being a full glass canon with surviveability being reduced to two dodges and proper positioning seemed to be a fair tradeoff for dishing out some really nice dps

- since the nerf-hammer hit I just can't stand it anymore. 0 surviveability, laughable dps, hilarious "support" = no thanks. switched back to reaper, still dealing mediocre dmg at best, but at least I got some decent extra surviveability again

> @Nash.2681 said:

> Speaking from a PvE PoV only:

> - liked it in the beginning very much. being a full glass canon with surviveability being reduced to two dodges and proper positioning seemed to be a fair tradeoff for dishing out some really nice dps

> - since the nerf-hammer hit I just can't stand it anymore. 0 surviveability, laughable dps, hilarious "support" = no thanks.

THIS !!!!

Edit: I actually didn't switch back to reaper but switched to different classes, leaving my beloved Necro pretty much last in my startup screen ....

> @"Agrippa Oculus.3726" said:

> > @Nash.2681 said:

> > Speaking from a PvE PoV only:

> > - liked it in the beginning very much. being a full glass canon with surviveability being reduced to two dodges and proper positioning seemed to be a fair tradeoff for dishing out some really nice dps

> > - since the nerf-hammer hit I just can't stand it anymore. 0 surviveability, laughable dps, hilarious "support" = no thanks.

>

> THIS !!!!

>

> Edit: I actually didn't switch back to reaper but switched to different classes, leaving my beloved Necro pretty much last in my startup screen ....

I went to Renegade then Firebrand for Pve (basically T4's only). It was jarring at first, given their lesser health makes them that much more naturally squishy, but the support and damage is just bliss.

Non-raid PvE after the "bug-fix" the melting power is severely reduced. Felt like regular necro with toolbelt and no death shroud.

Proposed fix:

1. Make barrier mechanic to stay longer, as of now, there is no use of it.

2. Make sand swell work like regular portal instead of changing the mechanic, remove barrier. The teleport can be put in trail of anguish (if needed be, honestly I don't see the need of teleport with scourge).

3. Ghastly breach is pretty lackluster. Might is over saturated and a very weak boon raid wise. To make it more supporty, Scourge need more offensive buff outside of might.

^ This, though I do log in for the daily on alt's a few times a week.

It is disheartening to have read so many good ideas on this forum to get Necromancer into a raid meta and realize Scourge was designed around the old profession theme of corruptions, condition damage, almost no mobility, no scaling defense, and no other group utility than condi and healing. They could have buffed Blood Magic for the same outcome.

I am still stuck with a sceptre condition build. Nothing was done to fix core deficiencies.

> @Maunzi.3764 said:

> > Honestly, Scourge is no where near as bad as this forum makes it out to be.

>

> Meanwhile, in content that matters, scourge has simply no damage that is worth to bring, nor any useful support anyone wants. I guess you're fine in the open world though :)

>

> That seems to be the common denominator between people that say things like ~and don't know how to adapt~ or ~I'm totally fine~ - they're doing faceroll open world content, and don't realize that everyone else is talking about raids, where different standards apply, and we can actually measure your performance using various tools. And the objective result of these is pretty clear:

>

> Scourge is bad. In fact, it performs so badly that the devs have already confirmed a buff to be incoming.

Yup. That's me. I play open world exclusively. I barely touch fractals and never been in a raid. I like my necro and it's current specs, even though I know it's not the best build. But as a casual player, some of the mechanics of the game escape me and I've yet to really dig into learning everything about it. But since I solo open world or join trains, no one complains and I enjoy the necro/reaper abilities for what I know of them. Of course, as I expand my knowledge and eventually explore other areas, my opinions and thoughts will change. Until then... I'm good.

Been playing since gw1 as a necro, honestly just love the aesthetic, been increasingly disappointed in the class. Spent a couple hundred on gems around PoF release.

Regretting that now.

I'll keep playing but I'm not paying a dime more until something gets a serious fix.

> @Chamelion.9536 said:

> Yup. That's me. I play open world exclusively. I barely touch fractals and never been in a raid. I like my necro and it's current specs, even though I know it's not the best build. But as a casual player, some of the mechanics of the game escape me and I've yet to really dig into learning everything about it. But since I solo open world or join trains, no one complains and I enjoy the necro/reaper abilities for what I know of them. Of course, as I expand my knowledge and eventually explore other areas, my opinions and thoughts will change. Until then... I'm good.

Don't get me wrong, I didn't mean to diss open world or those enjoying it. It's fun, and playing Necro is pretty cool there. I'm glad it works for you - as it does for me.

It's just that in open world, ANYTHING performs well. It's not a good metric for balancing.