20 Dollars For Mount Skins?!?!

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man you know, I logged in, looked at it, didn't think it looked much better than the standard mount, decided it wasn't worth the cost of two trips to star bucks for me and my wife (because that is literally how small an amount of money we are talking about) and so I didn't buy it.

I don't understand these people that get on here and pound their chests about the gem store. None of this is necessary to play the game, it comes across as very adolescent. If you are so upset that you can't afford it either get a better job or don't go out to eat like twice.

> @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > @Karmapolice.4193 said:

> > I am actually very happy with the price. If this was Elder Scrolls Online, the skins would be $40 each and only on sale for 24 hours. Twenty bucks for what would be considered 5 new mounts in other games is a fantastic price.

>

> Stop comparing to others games. I'm comparing to what Anet used us to. To what I liked in GW2 since I started the game.

Did Anet offer 5 Skins bundles in the past? Compared to B2P games like Black Desert Online, this is a steal.

> @"Knuckle Joe.7408" said:

> > @Mea.5491 said:

> > Dude, $20 for FIVE mount skins. In most MMOs, you pay $20 for ONE mount skin.

>

> And that one mount has a different model, different animations, different effects and different sounds... here, they just painted the base mounts black and then painted bones on them. So this is how its going to be lol, same mounts but paint-overs. I was hoping for complete different creatures (Example: Raport gets a bonebreaker or mordrem teragriff skin)

>

> $20 dolalr mount in FF14:

> http://www.mogsales.com/images/com_hikashop/upload/02002.png

It's Skin vs Skin, not Skin vs Mount. The Bardings cost $10 each in FFXIV which is twice as much that each new skin cost in GW2.

Just seems to me like offering them ONLY as a bundle is a mistake. I couldn't care less about the skimmer, springer, or griffon skins, but I'd get individual raptor or jackal skins. But instead of getting paid for 400-800 gems to get them individually, they're not getting paid for any gems because like hell am I paying for 3 skins I'll never use :3 De-bundle and I reckon a lot of people would be willing to pay for a couple rather than not paying for any at all (and, sure, keep the bundle at a discount for those that want 'em all, but I'm sure more people are willing to buy A skin they like than FOUR skins they don't).

> @TitaniumBovine.9674 said:

> Just seems to me like offering them ONLY as a bundle is a mistake. I couldn't care less about the skimmer, springer, or griffon skins, but I'd get individual raptor or jackal skins. But instead of getting paid for 400-800 gems to get them individually, they're not getting paid for any gems because like hell am I paying for 3 skins I'll never use :3 De-bundle and I reckon a lot of people would be willing to pay for a couple rather than not paying for any at all (and, sure, keep the bundle at a discount for those that want 'em all, but I'm sure more people are willing to buy A skin they like than FOUR skins they don't).

Who knows maybe they will have another sale prior to the end of the event. I could careless for either one of them, I personally do not like them, but recognize a great deal when I see one compared to what other greedy MMOs offer.

Excelsior.

Halloween is not a thing at all in Germany, apart from companies cashing in to some hype from overseas, but as guy who loves black and darker themes, I like the stuff that is being added during that week. It's one of the few days when I can buy "dark" and "black" stuff (e.g. those black feathered wings) and I usually blow much money into many games at the same time (waiting for Bewitching Tristana in LoL **again**). When I saw the mount skins on the store, I was thinking how nice and funny they look like - as in "Good job". The price tags are more or less hefty, but one meal at a restaurant turns out to be much, much more expensive. And that just lasts until you go to the restroom the next time, it literally goes down the drain (*rimshot*). Of course you also could buy bread, salami and a bottle of water - you are full and fine after that, too, but where is the premium effect, the feel that you treated yourself something? The prices are fine.

I am pretty sure there are a lot of people who are going to pay this price for new skins every time they appear. I am also sure these people are good for the game as they provide consistent flow of money for developers to release new content between expansion that all of us are going to play for free.

I don't like these skins personally, I won't buy them for sure but there are people happy with them. I don't think it's worth getting fixated over such trivial matter.

> @kurfu.5623 said:

> We are not paying a monthly sub fee.. they have to make money to pay their people... relax... it's optional.

Compared to creating an entire new weapon skin or outfit,i dont see how this is worth 1600 gems for a bit of paint.But hey i dont even have a mount nor will i ever bother getting one.

> @Caedmon.6798 said:

> > @kurfu.5623 said:

> > We are not paying a monthly sub fee.. they have to make money to pay their people... relax... it's optional.

>

> Compared to creating an entire new weapon skin or outfit,i dont see how this is worth 1600 gems for a bit of paint.But hey i dont even have a mount nor will i ever bother getting one.

This is not 1 skin but 5 different skins for 5 different models. It's actually cheaper than weapon skins.

> @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > @TheRandomGuy.7246 said:

> > > > @"Nick Lentz.6982" said:

> > > > You know the great thing about gem store cosmetics? They are entirely optional.

> > >

> > > Not if you want to customize your mount.

> >

> > Sigh. Does that change them being optional.

>

> The entire game can be "optional". But making players pay this expensive for something that should have been on the base mounts (more than 1 poor dye slot) is just abusive.

> > @Mea.5491 said:

> > Dude, $20 for FIVE mount skins. In most MMOs, you pay $20 for ONE mount skin.

>

> But in others MMOs these are entirely different skins. New animations, new skull... This is just a recolour. Go on paint and make a smoky effect on the back of it. You're done.

> What ticks me is that Anet purposedly made a poor work on base mounts to make us buy the cash ones...

In 100% of the MMOs I've played non of the mounts had and dye channels so...

> @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > @Karmapolice.4193 said:

> > I am actually very happy with the price. If this was Elder Scrolls Online, the skins would be $40 each and only on sale for 24 hours. Twenty bucks for what would be considered 5 new mounts in other games is a fantastic price.

>

> Stop comparing to others games. I'm comparing to what Anet used us to. To what I liked in GW2 since I started the game.

No we will because we are being sensible, if you're not willing to have an actual conversation then this isn't meant to be posted in forum which is meant to be a place to discuss ideas not a one sided conversation.

> @Mea.5491 said:

> > @"Knuckle Joe.7408" said:

> > > @Mea.5491 said:

> > > Dude, $20 for FIVE mount skins. In most MMOs, you pay $20 for ONE mount skin.

> >

> > And that one mount has a different model, different animations, different effects and different sounds.

> > $20 dolalr mount in FF14

>

> As an MMO veteran and former MMO hopper who has tried nearly every online game in the past decade, I can safely say that mount RECOLORS cost TONS of money in LOTS of games, they CANNOT BE DYED and they are CHARACTER BOUND. In GW2, you only have to buy mount skins once and use thousands of unique color combinations on them. Also, your precious FF14 costs $15 a month, you MUST pay just to be able to play PLUS you have to spend extra money on fluff... Meanwhile, GW2 gives all core content for free and sells OPTIONAL fluff for $20. Still waaay better than silly monthly fees, lol.

It's 10 dollars. Large majority of fluff is available in game for free as rewards. Funny how for people that care about customization it is actually much cheaper to pay a sub fee.

> @Ameepa.6793 said:

> People are happily paying 800 gems for one outfit or a glider skin, but 1600 gems for 5 mount skins is suddenly too much?

>

> In my opinion it's fine price, I can very well buy a set of mount skins for that price when they add a set I like.

The problem is that this is not a new model, unlike the new outfit and gliders. They merely replaced the paint.

> @ROMANG.1903 said:

> > @Ameepa.6793 said:

> > People are happily paying 800 gems for one outfit or a glider skin, but 1600 gems for 5 mount skins is suddenly too much?

> >

> > In my opinion it's fine price, I can very well buy a set of mount skins for that price when they add a set I like.

>

> The problem is that this is not a new model, unlike the new outfit and gliders. They merely replaced the paint.

After watching dev diary about mounts I am under the impression modeling seperate models will be very rare occasion if ever happens. If they are to release seperate model, they will just make it into totally new mount. Skins are just this, skins. No new models. Which is reasonable considering mounts do much more stuff than in other mmos.