Trinket Farming: LW3 or LW4?

It depends map to map, Bitterfrost frontier is really good because you can do tge berry farm quickly and with as many chars as you like a day.

Dragonfall also is a realy easy map to get the currency for.

Season 3 vs 4 doesn't really matter, unless you struggle with unbound magic, Volitile is probably a little easier to get as you get it in icebrood as well.

Im assuming you mean ascended trinkets and not the 2 legendary trinkets. In season 3 you can get 5/6 trinkets from winterberries and orchids, both of which are very easy to farm, assuming you have the masteries and griffon for draconis mons. If i remember correctly, I could farm 5 trinkets in about a week, spending roughly 30-40 minutes a day. Ive never farmed trinkets in S4 so i dont know how fast it is.

In the past I always farmed lws3 maps for ascended trinkets. However, since the change of dailies on the maps (only 1 map a day has dailies) it goes a lot slower. This same applies for lws4 maps. When it comes to items it makes no difference which living worlds version you do. I think the fastest way atm is to do bjora marches and hoard eternal ice. You will easily get a stack of 250 a day just playing + gathering even if you don't try your best. Then buy the accesory at npc near west map waypoint (costs eternal ice plus karma) and exchange the rest into lws4 currencies to buy the other trinkets on those maps. If you lack volatile you can consume some to gain volatile magic.

To add to the above, if you complete the achievement line for Bright Shore (a Kodan located at the Ruined Hut PoI in the eastern half of Bjora), he will be able to sell you an ascended amulet for Eternal Ice shards. If you also add the trinket from Still Waters Speaking and the ring and trinket from Dragonfall, you just need a backpack (a bit more tricky to get, but the one in Bitterfrost might be easiest) and another ring (either Bitterfrost using berries or Sandswept Isles getting the Difluorite from Bjora exchange again) to be fully accessorized.

I've just finished doing this process to help gear up two alts, and it's gone very well. I had a couple backpacks that didn't have stats selected and a ring from doing season 3 stuff a long time ago, so I just need to decide how I want to get a second diviner's ring for the other.