Rework Harpoon Gun Please

juno.1840

This thing is a turd. We have no other choices...

I'm in Marauder's + Zerkers trinket, and this thing sucks for damage in for any content (PvE, WvW, whatever).

I thought maybe it was a condi wep because the damage output is so bad, but it doesn't really function as a condi weapon... unless you consider 2 stacks of bleed every 12s, or one stack of burn every 15s a condi assult.

/end of rant

Unfortunately, it seems that underwater content is currently on halt.

Maybe that will change with the next big expansion coming. Most likely we are going to encounter the deep sea dragon and since underwater combat is possible in this game, I doubt that we won't have any when dealing with bubbles. Which could mean that Anet has to majorly rework the **entire** underwater combat and the weapons alongside.

Agreed that the engi in particular needs alot of help here. I like the time bomb and the mines thematically, but they could probably have a bigger punch. Same for the auto attack.

And engineer definitely needs an alternative underwater weapon for the condi playstyle. Harpoon gun seems power focused, we need something that lets us play with conditions, like you said, 2 stacks of bleed and 1 stack burn are basically nothing.

ALL other professions can either go for condi or power underwater, since they all have either 2 weapons to chose from or, in the case of elementalist, the weapon is adaptable because of their class mechanic. Engineer is the only one that is locked on power for underwater if I am not mistaken.

> @"juno.1840" said:

> That's a good idea -- not sure why it didn't cross my mind. I try and use my land skills for underwater so I have a gyro loadout. Also grenades underwater doesn't make sense in RL, so pre-built assumptions lol.

Grenades underwater isn't that hard to believe. Depth charges are a thing in real life. Also real grenades still work underwater (And can be more deadly due to the shockwaves they create in the water causing internal damage without external signs)

Bombs on the other hand... With actual fuses for detonation... Also, Fire Bomb functioning underwater... But ehh, at least it kills stuff, unlike Har-poop Gun.

Also Elixir Gun works underwater too for some reason and Tool Kit still has "Box of Nails" which works using magic or something I guess all those fishies taking damage from walking on them nails lul.

But yeah, Engie's underwater weapon is pretty bad. But at least they can bypass it with kits that give them ground skills to use instead which is a small comfort.

> @"juno.1840" said:

> The "throwing" part doesn't make sense :)

> The more deadly I believe due to the more efficient transfer of energy though a more solid medium.

Well, lets put it this way, a heart in Wayfarer Foothills shows that PC's can throw a snowball hard enough to kill a rabbit.

Tossing some grenades a few feet underwater should be possible ;)

> @"Taril.8619" said:

> > @"juno.1840" said:

> > The "throwing" part doesn't make sense :)

> > The more deadly I believe due to the more efficient transfer of energy though a more solid medium.

>

> Well, lets put it this way, a heart in Wayfarer Foothills shows that PC's can throw a snowball hard enough to kill a rabbit.

>

> Tossing some grenades a few feet underwater should be possible ;)

It could also showcase that Tyrian rabbits are extremely fragile and melodramatic, tho.

Speaking for PvE, I find the harpoon gun quite good. The single shot harpoon is a bit mediocre but if I use the grappling line to pull things close and then fire a whole volley of mines at point blank into them. Seems to wipe out the majority of most things health bars and just need one or two shots to finish the job. For multiple mobs, I use underwater turrets to aggro and confuse them. The battering ram also works well underwater. After reading this, going to try grenades though :)