what's the state of strikes in general?

coso.9173

I love the idea of them, but to be honest I've only done the one in Grothmar valley, and 1 of the Bjora marches, I think one with 2 kodans or something.

But then i heard about Boneskinner being way too hard and some other new ones being too hard aswell, and i'm a but afraid to try them.

i know I could ask my guild to do them but sometimes I prefer to do it with a random pug, so i don't have to be asking anyone favors.

I'd love to try them, at least for achievements, but whenever i try to queue for them it takes on forever. and for new content, that worries me.

Boneskinner and Whisper are definitely a bit harder than the others. I usually just try and look for pug groups that don't specify experience or something, then just make it known that I'm a bit new to the fight and ask if there's anything I need to know. If they don't like that, I figure they can just kick me but that hasn't happened yet. Usually people are nice. Even those harder ones I've completed in pugs like this though so it's very possible to do.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> boneskinner isn't mainly about keeping the torches lit and avoiding AOEs?

From what I can tell, people seem to completely ignore that mechanic in favor of just rotating around the boss and avoiding the damage. Makes the chieves hard to get sadly

> @"coso.9173" said:

> boneskinner isn't mainly about keeping the torches lit and avoiding AOEs?

Boneskinner gets cheesed most of the time with heal.

If you have enough healing you can just stay stacked and circle around him as a group, avoiding the void zones that spawn under players.

> @"coso.9173" said:

> do most groups in lfg naturally get healers? isn't that only druids? i thought the idea of gw2 was to not have the trinity and have everyone heal themselves.

Depends if the one creating the group knows what he's doing. There are multiple setups.

There are also multiple healers: e.g. firebrand, scourge and druid can all play a healing role (Ventari revs are rather rare in strike missions).

Some groups take all 3 to the boneskinner.

They are almost always accompanied by an alacrity revenant and/or a chrono for boneskinner.

Not sure what the current "meta"- group setup for boneskinner is, though. Haven't done him in a long time, since he offers nothing I want.

GW2 has what some would call a "soft-trinity", based around boon uptime for the squad.

Depending on the boss there can be a tank or none. Most of the time the tank is determined by the highest amount of toughness.

Except boneskinner and Woj you shouldn't worry at all. Very pug friendly.

BS and Woj are regularly pugged and in those groups a few are always carried but if there are to many of those that need to be carried it just frustrates everyone else. Even then I rarely see toxicity but I would recommend you at least have a build that carries some weight, you know how to dodge red circle on the ground and stack with the group and not run around like a headless chicken. There is nothing worse in a group than a guy that runs around and away from the group. That means he doesn't get boons, doesn't get heals, people need to get out of position to revive him when downed and sometimes even kills everyone else due to certain mechanics (chains on Woj) while he would do everyone and also himself a favor if he just stopped freaking moving at all. Now there are some mechanics that require moving but that usually means move 1 or 2 steps not run away for 2 miles and around the arena 3 times.

People usually do the easy main strikes (Shiverpeaks super easy, voice claw, franie jormag) They are really puggable and heals are abundant now with the template system. So dont be afraid to join pugs for these. Easy to do and gives currency.

Cold war is long but still relatively easy (kill and kill)

Forging steel is long and somewhat different and pretty easy (like a small mission)

Whisper of Jormag, i personally love it. Its hard enough to challenge pugs but easy enough to be puggable. I find it a good balance. With enough people that know what they are doing (most impt, bring worms, dont kill allies in chains), it can be relatively smooth sailing.

Boneskinner I dont do. Tried to pug a few times but only won once. Definitely puggable but I dont wana waste my time on chance.

Also, I geared up a Healbrand, so it makes grouping really accessible as every1 prob has zerk gear that they can switch to if no healing is needed.

> @"Ototo.3214" said:

> > @"coso.9173" said:

> > boneskinner isn't mainly about keeping the torches lit and avoiding AOEs?

>

> From what I can tell, people seem to completely ignore that mechanic in favor of just rotating around the boss and avoiding the damage. Makes the chieves hard to get sadly

Its actually easier to get hold onto the light with the cheese strat. Either bring 2 necros and use spectral grasp to instakill wisps, or hold dps until bone puts out all torches, then kill him. Wisps will have no torches left to put out. Light the torches can be done solo without touching the boss.