Sylvari Engineer Should Use Plants

Coeruleum.9164

I think the Sylvari engineer should use the Sylvari plants that already exist instead of using steampunk turrets etc. I haven't played an engineer yet but if there's ever a Sylvari engineer who grows plants and traps people with growing roots I would like playing that more than other races. If someone likes steampunk on their Sylvari engineer maybe they could equip a steampunk weapon and that would change all the plant-themed skills to the default steampunk skills for engineers, but all other weapons should grow plants even if they're not the verdant or sylvari racial weapons. Verdant or other plant-themed weapons on other races of engineer should also turn all the steampunk machines on other races into the Sylvari ones if they're equipped. So on Sylvari, the default turrets should be the plant turrets with seed pods and you should have to equip a steampunk weapon to get steampunk turrets, and on other races the default turrets should be steampunk but you can get the plant turrets if you equip Verdant, Nightmare, Mordem, Dreamthistle, or any other growing plant-themed weapons. All the animations for plant-themed turrets, growing roots, etc. already exist, so replacing the steampunk skills with plant-themed ones but having them be mechanically identical seems easy. Thanks for your consideration!

I main a Sylvari engineer and I would absolutely **hate** if they replaced my mechanical turrets with plants.

The steampunk aesthetic of the engineer profession made me pick and main it in the first place. If I wanted to use magical plants instead of machinery, then I would play a ranger since nature magic is their shtick. They even can already do what you are asking for here (growing roots to trap people -> entangle).

Best solution, if differently looking turrets are really needed, would be to sell turret appearance packages. They could put it in the gemstore and then you can equip it in the hero panel to change the appearance of your turrets that way. But I don't think it should be based on race or weapon skin choice.

> @"Kodama.6453" said:

> I main a Sylvari engineer and I would absolutely **hate** if they replaced my mechanical turrets with plants.

>

> The steampunk aesthetic of the engineer profession made me pick and main it in the first place. If I wanted to use magical plants instead of machinery, then I would play a ranger since nature magic is their shtick. They even can already do what you are asking for here (growing roots to trap people -> entangle).

>

> Best solution, if differently looking turrets are really needed, would be to sell turret appearance packages. They could put it in the gemstore and then you can equip it in the hero panel to change the appearance of your turrets that way. But I don't think it should be based on race or weapon skin choice.

Well, I said that if people wanted to make Sylvari engineers use steampunk turrets they should also equip steampunk weapons, so if you use steampunk weapons, your stuff won't be replaced with plant turrets. We already have some cosmetic changes to skills in the game based on weapon skin choice. Why would making this be partially based on weapon skin choice a terrible idea? People who really like steampunk aesthetic are probably already using steampunk-themed weapons.

Sylvari as a race grow all the stuff they use, including technology. The ranger class has different mechanics than growing Sylvari plant turrets. A Sylvari growing plant turrets, hosing down enemies with a flamethrower, and shooting potions at people isn't a ranger, it's a plant-based engineer. It would also make sense if someone wanted their character to go to the Maguuma Jungle and study plants and learn to manipulate them and they got a set of Mordrem guns as part of their engineer's mad scientist type story. The steampunk aesthetic is great but there's already even a big difference between the main two engineering races, Asura and Charr, so more aesthetics for engineers would be great.

> @"Wolfb.7025" said:

> No because if they used plants they would be gardeners instead of engineers.

Sylvari are already made of plants and they make all the things they use like houses by growing them. A Sylvari making metal machines is inherently a huge cultural outsider. There's actually a real such thing as a botanical technician too. Engineering in real life isn't all mechanical. Also, I've never seen a garden made out of portable plant turrets that shoot seeds at people. Gardens aren't usually portable and they don't usually serve practical functions, despite some people wanting to use gardens on spaceships (using gardens on spaceships is also a form of engineering and not gardening.)

> @"Coeruleum.9164" said:

> > @"Kodama.6453" said:

> > I main a Sylvari engineer and I would absolutely **hate** if they replaced my mechanical turrets with plants.

> >

> > The steampunk aesthetic of the engineer profession made me pick and main it in the first place. If I wanted to use magical plants instead of machinery, then I would play a ranger since nature magic is their shtick. They even can already do what you are asking for here (growing roots to trap people -> entangle).

> >

> > Best solution, if differently looking turrets are really needed, would be to sell turret appearance packages. They could put it in the gemstore and then you can equip it in the hero panel to change the appearance of your turrets that way. But I don't think it should be based on race or weapon skin choice.

>

> Well, I said that if people wanted to make Sylvari engineers use steampunk turrets they should also equip steampunk weapons, so if you use steampunk weapons, your stuff won't be replaced with plant turrets. We already have some cosmetic changes to skills in the game based on weapon skin choice. Why would making this be partially based on weapon skin choice a terrible idea? People who really like steampunk aesthetic are probably already using steampunk-themed weapons.

>

> Sylvari as a race grow all the stuff they use, including technology. The ranger class has different mechanics than growing Sylvari plant turrets. A Sylvari growing plant turrets, hosing down enemies with a flamethrower, and shooting potions at people isn't a ranger, it's a plant-based engineer. It would also make sense if someone wanted their character to go to the Maguuma Jungle and study plants and learn to manipulate them and they got a set of Mordrem guns as part of their engineer's mad scientist type story. The steampunk aesthetic is great but there's already even a big difference between the main two engineering races, Asura and Charr, so more aesthetics for engineers would be great.

>

> > @"Wolfb.7025" said:

> > No because if they used plants they would be gardeners instead of engineers.

>

> Sylvari are already made of plants and they make all the things they use like houses by growing them. A Sylvari making metal machines is inherently a huge cultural outsider. There's actually a real such thing as a botanical technician too. Engineering in real life isn't all mechanical. Also, I've never seen a garden made out of portable plant turrets that shoot seeds at people. Gardens aren't usually portable and they don't usually serve practical functions, despite some people wanting to use gardens on spaceships (using gardens on spaceships is also a form of engineering and not gardening.)

>

You already have seed turrets on sylvari. Use racial skills if you want this