Achievements.. A small suggestion.

Hey there fellow players!

I as many others, have previously spent a lot of time playing WoW. Now, I'm having lots of fun with GW2. But, one thing I am definitely missing, are achievements based less on grind, and more on exploration. Let me explain:

There are all the slayer achievements - kill so-so many of this one particular type of mob. Right. K. Grind!!

But, how about some more 'safari'-oriented achievements?

Like, kill one of each types of aquatic creature?

Or, rare mobs?

I really miss travelling around to complete such achievements, instead of just doing a boring grind.

Would anyone else be with me on this? (Obviously other, similar types of achievements could be added for other things than killing stuff.)

Just a suggestion :)

There are other achievements for seeing the world. Each region has a mapping achievement that will send you into all the nooks and crannies.

The slayer achievements don't need to be a grind. Mostly. You will kill plenty of creatures as you play, so achieves like that (and Eating, Drinking, Wintersday Drinking, Trash Collector, etc) can be accomplished as you go. I only "grind" them when they are near completion, seeking out the last 20 "shells" or whatever. Plus for slayers, you can combine it with weapon masters, like specifically spear for an underwater creature.

I'm always in favor of more achievements, but I'm not sure "one of everything" is a worthy goal in this era of wikis.

> @"DeanBB.4268" said:

>...The slayer achievements don't need to be a grind. Mostly. You will kill plenty of creatures as you play, so achieves like that (and Eating, Drinking, Wintersday Drinking, Trash Collector, etc) can be accomplished as you go. I only "grind" them when they are near completion, seeking out the last 20 "shells" or whatever...

Exactly this. A couple of times I noticed I was near completion on a slayer achievement at a moment when I was also close to the next achievement chest, so I ground out the last 20 or so kills to get the ap. Otherwise I never bothered grinding the slayer achievements at all and just let them get completed as I played the game. At this point I have all them all done except for giants and Djinn bottlers and I have no intention of grinding them either. The only time I've focused on completing achievements is if they gave something I specifically wanted, like a particular title or piece of gear. That's a matter of personal gameplay preference though. Some people like working through all the achievements so the greater the variety there, the better for them I guess. Me, I'm focused right now on getting legendary gear so my ingame activity is centered on what's needed for that.

> @"apache.8746" said:

> Hey there fellow players!

>

> I as many others, have previously spent a lot of time playing WoW. Now, I'm having lots of fun with GW2. But, one thing I am definitely missing, are achievements based less on grind, and more on exploration. Let me explain:

> Would anyone else be with me on this? (Obviously other, similar types of achievements could be added for other things than killing stuff.)

A lot of the more grindy achievements are from the base game. There have been very few achievments added to the base game since (A few side activities and side stories such as the Ley-Line Anomaly stuff)

Outside of that, achievements are typically made specifically for each new map that is added. So things like "Kill one of each type of creature" aren't really an achievement since maps don't often have huge varieties of enemy types.

LW maps often provide several exploration achievements though, with collections scattered throughout the map as well as a tendency to have containers spread across the maps too with an achievement to open all of them.

Rare mobs are typically done via Events, of which there are achievements for participating in.

Of course, the issue with exploration achievements is that many people don't find them fulfilling to complete. Especially if there's a meaningful reward for its completion. As they often end up feeling "Forced" to simply open up a map that points them to all the locations they need to get the achievement as otherwise naturally running around a map trying to stumble across things can take ages and can be annoying (Due to enemies attacking constantly)