Why necromancer needs some serious help Anet

Kylar.2046

(Any kind of group play, wvw centered though)

Scourge: Hi can I play with you guys?

Guild Leader: What are you good for?

Scourge: Anet says i'm supposed to be a support class.

Guild Leader: Great we need support classes. What boons can you give our group?

Scourge: Umm... if you run directly behind me I can give you swiftness and 1 stack of stability for about 6s.

Guild Leader: So no Stability for your group?

Scourge: No.

Guild Leader: How about Aegis?

Guild Leader: Regeneration?

Guild Leader: Might?

Scourge: No. I can provide myself a small amount if I trait for it. It used to be slightly better but apparently it was a bug and they got rid of it.

Guild Leader: Protection?

Scourge: Only if i run wells and I trait for it and you stand in it.

Guild Leader: No then... hmm. So you're not going to give your group any boons.

Scourge: Actually I can turn a couple of the conditions on you into boons, you just have to stand directly on top of me.

Guild Leader: ...

Scourge: But I can trait for it so you can stand beside me and not on top of me. It even works for the single shade I can put out; although if you're near the enemy I don't know if it will affect you or the enemy (says 5 players).

Guild leader: So you can cleanse conditions you're saying.

Scourge: Yes I was even somewhat comparable to other classes in my ability to help a group this way, but Anet changed the cool down of my best cleanse so I can still do it just not as well.

Guild Leader: Hmm, I'll put that down as not irrelevant like necro was before. Can you heal allies?

Scourge: No. The closest I can do is running some obscure trait that lets you steal tiny amounts of health from foes or collect a couple of our downs in one place so the enemy can bomb us easier.

Guild Leader: Can you drop a water field that other classes could blast for healing?

Guild Leader: Can you blast someone else's water field to heal the group?

Scourge: No... unless an enemy happens to be standing on my staff skill 4 in the place we put combo fields down.

Guild Leader: No to healing then. Can you reflect any projectiles hitting us?

Guild Leader: Can you provide alacrity to help our cooldowns like a mesmer?

Guild Leader: Anything like distortion making allies invulnerable for a bit?

Guild Leader: How about something like a stance that you can share with allies to give them some of your abilities?

Guild Leader: Can you stealth us so the enemy doesn't know exactly which direction we're coming from?

Guild leader: Can you portal our group around?

Scourge: Ya... you could call it that. It's only 900 range so we're gonna have to be pretty close. And I need direct line of sight to where we're going. And I can't do it up or down walls or cliffs. And it takes 3/4 of a second to cast so the enemy might decide to hit us in that time we're all stacked in one place not moving. And i need to not be interrupted while i'm casting it. And only 10 people can use it.

Guild Leader: Nice try but I think we're gonna go with a mesmer to portal us anywhere. Are you able to stun break your nearby allies?

Scourge: No. I can barely find a useful stun break for myself, I'll have to rely on someone else for that also.

Guild Leader: Right... can you do anything support like for a group at all?

Scourge: Anet gave me barriers you know.

Guild Leader: Well they don't heal, block anything, or reflect projectiles. What are they good for?

Scourge: Mostly they'll absorb the next auto attack worth of damage from 1 person out of 50 on the enemy side. And it has to be within a couple seconds of when I put it up or it does nothing because they disappear really fast. And if I use my new heal skill before the fight, I can give a barrier worth maybe 2 auto attacks of damage at the expense of not being able to heal myself at all until it's off cooldown.

Guild Leader: I don't think we really need that. I don't see a reason why I need you in a party with other useful classes, you don't really give much to your party at all. Maybe you can be tanky and just survive in a not supported party.

Scourge: I mean, I can try... But I can't provide myself with any useful boons, and I can't block any attacks, and I can't reflect projectiles, and I can't evade anything other than my 2 dodges and I don't have any mobility at all so I can't keep up with any other class with their leaps and their blinks, and I can't heal outside of my 1 heal skill, and I don't have very good stun breaks. Also I lost my extra health bar that necros and reapers have; therefore i'm fundamentally squishier than before. So basically i'm going to die if I stand in the wrong spot or get locked down by enemy crowd control skills if you don't put me in a party that can support me.

Guild Leader: But you have your barriers.

Scourge: Yes, but they only work when I have enough life force to use them and they aren't on cool down. If the enemy isn't dying I really don't have a useful way of generating life force. And if more than 1 person is hitting me the barriers melt away really fast.

Guild Leader: You don't sound like a support class to me.

Scourge: Me either.

Guild Leader: I could find a spot for you in our groups if you can dps the enemies.

Scourge: I can do that.

Guild Leader: I heard they got rid of a bug that was providing too much damage for scourges. That weaver doubled your damage in the fight post nerf, so did that revenant.

Scourge: Well any power damage shades provided me is gone. It went from 15% of my total damage to about 5%. All I can do now is apply conditions. I can invest my armour stats into full condition damage and expertise so I can piss everyone off more because they hate conditions. Though they did get rid of the bug that provided a lot of that damage too. So now i'm only good at dpsing things because I have a lot of AOE abilites not because they do a lot of damage. I can't match those 10k per hit meteors or the 15k Coalescnse of Ruins per target. I will simply apply burning and torment over and over and hope the enemy doesn't cleanse it by burying it in other conditions. Other than that I don't do any damage.

Guild Leader: You can at least get rid of the boons on the enemy right?

Scourge: Yes I can trait to do that. I can get rid of 2 boons each time I hit them with my f2. But the cooldown of that is longer and my shades don't last as long.

Guild Leader: Yes spellbreaker is managing to get rid of every boon on enemies and not letting them be reapplied with their field. Too bad it's on such a long cooldown. I guess you can help with the inbetween times for them.

Scourge: So you're saying i'm not 100% useless?

Guild Leader: If you run that one build I guess it's ok. You aren't good for very much. Too bad when you were the best dps they nerfed you... really is too bad.

I just tested scourge on Golem.

Scourge, all boons, vulnerable enemy, full viper, no barriers: 17k. 6 tries to get decent rotation and skill set.

Reaper, same stuff, 26k and two health bars!

And about 19k while in party because they obscure my combo fields. Button mashing rotation and done in first try.

With healing gear to get better barriers (like they had any use) dps will drop even more. Conclusion: delete necro, reloll, move on.

> @Kylar.2046 said:

> (Any kind of group play, wvw centered though)

>

> Scourge: Hi can I play with you guys?

> Guild Leader: What are you good for?

> Scourge: Anet says i'm supposed to be a support class.

> Guild Leader: Great we need support classes. What boons can you give our group?

> Scourge: Umm... if you run directly behind me I can give you swiftness and 1 stack of stability for about 6s.

> Guild Leader: So no Stability for your group?

> Scourge: No.

> Guild Leader: How about Aegis?

> Guild Leader: Regeneration?

> Guild Leader: Might?

> Scourge: No. I can provide myself a small amount if I trait for it. It used to be slightly better but apparently it was a bug and they got rid of it.

> Guild Leader: Protection?

> Scourge: Only if i run wells and I trait for it and you stand in it.

> Guild Leader: No then... hmm. So you're not going to give your group any boons.

> Scourge: Actually I can turn a couple of the conditions on you into boons, you just have to stand directly on top of me.

> Guild Leader: ...

> Scourge: But I can trait for it so you can stand beside me and not on top of me. It even works for the single shade I can put out; although if you're near the enemy I don't know if it will affect you or the enemy (says 5 players).

> Guild leader: So you can cleanse conditions you're saying.

> Scourge: Yes I was even somewhat comparable to other classes in my ability to help a group this way, but Anet changed the cool down of my best cleanse so I can still do it just not as well.

> Guild Leader: Hmm, I'll put that down as not irrelevant like necro was before. Can you heal allies?

> Scourge: No. The closest I can do is running some obscure trait that lets you steal tiny amounts of health from foes or collect a couple of our downs in one place so the enemy can bomb us easier.

> Guild Leader: Can you drop a water field that other classes could blast for healing?

> Guild Leader: Can you blast someone else's water field to heal the group?

> Scourge: No... unless an enemy happens to be standing on my staff skill 4 in the place we put combo fields down.

> Guild Leader: No to healing then. Can you reflect any projectiles hitting us?

> Guild Leader: Can you provide alacrity to help our cooldowns like a mesmer?

> Guild Leader: Anything like distortion making allies invulnerable for a bit?

> Guild Leader: How about something like a stance that you can share with allies to give them some of your abilities?

> Guild Leader: Can you stealth us so the enemy doesn't know exactly which direction we're coming from?

> Guild leader: Can you portal our group around?

> Scourge: Ya... you could call it that. It's only 900 range so we're gonna have to be pretty close. And I need direct line of sight to where we're going. And I can't do it up or down walls or cliffs. And it takes 3/4 of a second to cast so the enemy might decide to hit us in that time we're all stacked in one place not moving. And i need to not be interrupted while i'm casting it. And only 10 people can use it.

> Guild Leader: Nice try but I think we're gonna go with a mesmer to portal us anywhere. Are you able to stun break your nearby allies?

> Scourge: No. I can barely find a useful stun break for myself, I'll have to rely on someone else for that also.

> Guild Leader: Right... can you do anything support like for a group at all?

> Scourge: Anet gave me barriers you know.

> Guild Leader: Well they don't heal, block anything, or reflect projectiles. What are they good for?

> Scourge: Mostly they'll absorb the next auto attack worth of damage from 1 person out of 50 on the enemy side. And it has to be within a couple seconds of when I put it up or it does nothing because they disappear really fast. And if I use my new heal skill before the fight, I can give a barrier worth maybe 2 auto attacks of damage at the expense of not being able to heal myself at all until it's off cooldown.

> Guild Leader: I don't think we really need that. I don't see a reason why I need you in a party with other useful classes, you don't really give much to your party at all. Maybe you can be tanky and just survive in a not supported party.

> Scourge: I mean, I can try... But I can't provide myself with any useful boons, and I can't block any attacks, and I can't reflect projectiles, and I can't evade anything other than my 2 dodges and I don't have any mobility at all so I can't keep up with any other class with their leaps and their blinks, and I can't heal outside of my 1 heal skill, and I don't have very good stun breaks. Also I lost my extra health bar that necros and reapers have; therefore i'm fundamentally squishier than before. So basically i'm going to die if I stand in the wrong spot or get locked down by enemy crowd control skills if you don't put me in a party that can support me.

> Guild Leader: But you have your barriers.

> Scourge: Yes, but they only work when I have enough life force to use them and they aren't on cool down. If the enemy isn't dying I really don't have a useful way of generating life force. And if more than 1 person is hitting me the barriers melt away really fast.

> Guild Leader: You don't sound like a support class to me.

> Scourge: Me either.

> Guild Leader: I could find a spot for you in our groups if you can dps the enemies.

> Scourge: I can do that.

> Guild Leader: I heard they got rid of a bug that was providing too much damage for scourges. That weaver doubled your damage in the fight post nerf, so did that revenant.

> Scourge: Well any power damage shades provided me is gone. It went from 15% of my total damage to about 5%. All I can do now is apply conditions. I can invest my armour stats into full condition damage and expertise so I can kitten everyone off more because they hate conditions. Though they did get rid of the bug that provided a lot of that damage too. So now i'm only good at dpsing things because I have a lot of AOE abilites not because they do a lot of damage. I can't match those 10k per hit meteors or the 15k Coalescnse of Ruins per target. I will simply apply burning and torment over and over and hope the enemy doesn't cleanse it by burying it in other conditions. Other than that I don't do any damage.

> Guild Leader: You can at least get rid of the boons on the enemy right?

> Scourge: Yes I can trait to do that. I can get rid of 2 boons each time I hit them with my f2. But the cooldown of that is longer and my shades don't last as long.

> Guild Leader: Yes spellbreaker is managing to get rid of every boon on enemies and not letting them be reapplied with their field. Too bad it's on such a long cooldown. I guess you can help with the inbetween times for them.

> Scourge: So you're saying i'm not 100% useless?

> Guild Leader: If you run that one build I guess it's ok. You aren't good for very much. Too bad when you were the best dps they nerfed you... really is too bad.

Pretty much spot on

> @Dragoth.7153 said:

> I just tested scourge on Golem.

>

> Scourge, all boons, vulnerable enemy, full viper, no barriers: 17k. 6 tries to get decent rotation and skill set.

>

> Reaper, same stuff, 26k and two health bars!

> And about 19k while in party because they obscure my combo fields. Button mashing rotation and done in first try.

>

> With healing gear to get better barriers (like they had any use) dps will drop even more. Conclusion: delete necro, reloll, move on.

What trait lines? what rune set? What sigils? Cause I get 25k and by my math qtfy got around 28k from the statement that they said they lost 10k Dps. As for the "2 health bars", if you have a healer, I have found scourge to have more survivability because they can always be healed, unlike other necros who cannot be healed in shroud.

Now that said, the nerf was too much, and they can't just say it was bug fixes cause they added nerfs in pvp on top of the bug fixes. If they can nerf us at the same time as bug fixing in pvp, then they can buff us at the same time as bug fixing too.

This is necromancers not even trying to play the game.

Just a sample of why this wall of text is inaccurate,

Nobody needs to stand in a Well to receive protection from it, its on cast. Try aiming your skills intelligently.

Scourge players created this new pirate ship wvw play that killed the reaper. I would play reaper but nobody pushes anymore until after 2min of dancing around spamming aoe at the void between the two groups, afraid to be corrupted and condied into the ground.

> @Justine.6351 said:

> This is necromancers not even trying to play the game.

> Just a sample of why this wall of text is inaccurate,

> Nobody needs to stand in a Well to receive protection from it, its on cast. Try aiming your skills intelligently.

>

> Scourge players created this new pirate ship wvw play that killed the reaper. I would play reaper but nobody pushes anymore until after 2min of dancing around spamming aoe at the void between the two groups, afraid to be corrupted and condied into the ground.

You're missing the point. It's not a research paper, it's a narrative encompassing the feelings of someone who was trying to be helpful in any way to party play.

The point is that Scourge supposedly traded off a lot of survivability for support and damage, but didn't really get much in the way of USEFUL support or NOTICEABLE damage.

To make matters worse, there has been a string of bug fixes that have resulted in one outcome: significantly lowered damage.

Adding insult to injury is the fact that one of the main support skills, condition cleansing, was recently nerfed.

So, regardless of how you want to look at this, Scourge -- a spec that was solid but not amazing on PoF release day -- is dealing less damage and providing less support today than it was a month ago.

That's super-frustrating to deal with, especially if you do more than WvW.

> @Justine.6351 said:

> Nobody needs to stand in a Well to receive protection from it, its on cast. Try aiming your skills intelligently.

>

> Scourge players created this new pirate ship wvw play that killed the reaper. I would play reaper but nobody pushes anymore until after 2min of dancing around spamming aoe at the void between the two groups, afraid to be corrupted and condied into the ground.> @Justine.6351 said:

>

> Scourge players created this new pirate ship wvw play that killed the reaper. I would play reaper but nobody pushes anymore until after 2min of dancing around spamming aoe at the void between the two groups, afraid to be corrupted and condied into the ground.

That's why Anet should do a better job of splitting skills based off what we're playing. I mean sure scourges are good in WvW when stacked but when it comes to PvE we're very lackluster atm and in Spvp with out damage so low atm we are as good as dead at every encounter due to our squishyness running scourge.

"wvw centered" ... dude, i can understand the frustration in any gamemode. but not in wvw. necro was always wanted in wvw because of its aoe bursts and guess what, its gotten even better (yes it is still alot better after all the nerf) and you accidentally put out barrier and cleanse on a freaking low cd two conditions (which you can spam on cd, because of dying things everywhere and a traited staff) - not speaking of the absolutely gamebreaking boon-conversion (that doesnt even allow yourself to use the stunbreak with stab, because it gets converted into chain-cc from the enemy haha)

besides that: agree!

> @Justine.6351 said:

>

Last time I checked you only got protection if you cast the well on yourself.

> @Justine.6351 said:

>

Thats a lie and you know it.Wells have a ground effect and you need to be within that ground effect to receive the buff, which is why at times it is so hard to buff.A lot of times i fractal i try to give people buffs and remove condies for them and they are zipping around and running away to finish as fast as possible making it impossible.

> @Axl.8924 said:

> > @Justine.6351 said:

> > This is necromancers not even trying to play the game.

> > Just a sample of why this wall of text is inaccurate,

> > Nobody needs to stand in a Well to receive protection from it, its on cast. Try aiming your skills intelligently.

> >

> > Scourge players created this new pirate ship wvw play that killed the reaper. I would play reaper but nobody pushes anymore until after 2min of dancing around spamming aoe at the void between the two groups, afraid to be corrupted and condied into the ground.

>

> Thats a lie and you know it.Wells have a ground effect and you need to be within that ground effect to receive the buff, which is why at times it is so hard to buff.A lot of times i fractal i try to give people buffs and remove condies for them and they are zipping around and running away to finish as fast as possible making it impossible.

https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vampiric_Rituals here is the trait. it is on cast. what you maybe getting confused with is the life silphon which is per pulse. with the hatred in raids of anything that is not fire field people would get annoyed with us putting wells down on people even if it buffed them with protect

> @Aetatis.5418 said:

> "wvw centered" ... dude, i can understand the frustration in any gamemode. but not in wvw. necro was always wanted in wvw because of its aoe bursts and guess what, its gotten even better (yes it is still alot better after all the nerf) and you accidentally put out barrier and cleanse on a freaking low cd two conditions (which you can spam on cd, because of dying things everywhere and a traited staff) - not speaking of the absolutely gamebreaking boon-conversion (that doesnt even allow yourself to use the stunbreak with stab, because it gets converted into chain-cc from the enemy haha)

>

> besides that: agree!

Depending who you ran with before, they'd put 5 reapers in a party and say good luck. You do nothing for our parties so you can survive alone. Any support provided now is better. Prepatch scourge was matching guardians and eles in condi cleanse depending on the fight. I agree the boon stripping is broken, but i don't want them to hurt the cleanse to deal with it. Even full parties of 5 people cleansing condis isn't always enough.

That night, the guild leader went out for couple of drinks with Anet balance team:

Anet: What do you mean "too bad"? Do you feel sorry for those basterds?

Guild leader: Ofc not, I was being sarcastic. I'm glad you nerfed scourge into the ground, just like you did with necromancer and reaper.

Anet: Funny part is they still believe we are going to buff them next patch.

Guild leader: loooooooooooooool. Cheers btw.

Anet: Cheers.

> @vicious.5683 said:

> That night, the guild leader went out for couple of drinks with Anet balance team:

> Anet: What do you mean "too bad"? Do you feel sorry for those basterds?

> Guild leader: Ofc not, I was being sarcastic. I'm glad you nerfed scourge into the ground, just like you did with necromancer and reaper.

> Anet: Funny part is they still believe we are going to buff them next patch.

> Guild leader: loooooooooooooool. Cheers btw.

> Anet: Cheers.

>

Hm, doesn´t that imply that the necro is actually a pretty op and broken class, that Anet doesn´t want to be so ?

I smell conspiracy here.

My take at this:

_Gw2 launch to season one tower of madness (where we got PS)_:

Necro PvE community (NPC): Anet please we need damage and support

Anet: What? don't you know how op you'll be when you will have mastered the shroud?

NPC: But nobody want us in dungeon, we are discriminated

Anet: ridiculous, you got the shroud nothing is impossible for you!

_Season one tower of madness to HoT_:

NPC: Please anet we really need mobility, damage and to provide support

Anet: We gave you vampiric signet yet you are not satisfied? The he...!

NPC: But we are still discriminated in dungeon and fractal, nobody want us in these.

Anet: Pfff... we will work on it.

_Brainstorming room at anet_:

Manager: So... we got this lingering issue that is the NPC and they just can't stop bugging us about support and damage, any idea?

PvPDev: Wut? NPC think by themself and complain? Since when do we have an AI of this caliber in the game engine? Why didn't you tell the PvP team?

PvEDev: He is talking about the necro pve community...

PvPDev: Oh? really? NPC... That just fit so well... They take their beating standing just like NPC... AhAHAHAH!

Manager: So any idea?

PvPDev: Well, they also complain in PvP, so how about giving them a buff?

PvEDev: Sure a buff but what? damage? what kind of support would fit the necromancer, a good debuff?

PvPDev: Stop right here no more debuff! It will get out of hand at this rythm, there is already chrono coming, calm down with debuff

Manager: So we go back to the design, it's our lovely condimanagement profession afterall

PvPDev: condi cleanse then for support?

DruidDev: No please druid will cover this with the avatar

PvPDev: yeah but with the change to condi it could suffer some help no?

DruidDev: no! It will be ok

Manager: Any idea NecroDev?

NecroDev: Uh? What? Necro you say? They will be awesome with the reaper! I have to work on other project atm.

Manager: Yeah but their support and damage?

NecroDev: What about that? They raise dead give them revive, they steal life give them siphon.

PvEDev: Wow... You were not dead?

NecroDev: that's a bad joke, you know? I'm working on scrapper atm, I just can't find anything to give to the engi...

Manager: So revive and siphon? that's great!

PvPDev: Still keep it low on siphon please, this thing quickly go out of hand.

_Hot launch to chill nerf_:

NPC: we still need support anet

Anet: What? You got revive an siphon what the f*** are you saying

NPC: Siphon are ridiculously low and we need offensive support otherwise we are not competitive.

Anet: Spoiled childs!

Manager: The support we gave to the NPC didn't work.

PvPDev: What they reckt everything in PvP, we need to nerf them

PvEDev: Yeah but they are still unwelcome in PvE.

Manager: I don't care make them shut their...

PvPDev: If you reduce their chill output I'm willing to make some leeway

PvEDev: Great but what support can we give them? Another dedbuff?

PvPDev: Calm down! It have to be usefull in PvP, what about more corruption? It could shut down the boon meta...

Manager: Wow! I thought you were a grumpy guy that only free players that are stuck on queue but you can have some pretty awesome idea.

PvPDev: Please! My job is important! At least I'm doing something for our customers.

_Chill nerf to PoF_:

NPC: We got a niche in PvP yes but we still suck at PvE, we still need damage and support to be competitive here.

Anet: How come on... Again with the complains? Can't you just play the game and stay out of the forum?

NPC: But It's been years now...

Anet: ...

Manager: The NPC is really boring...

NecroDev: Yeah I saw. I'll shut them with the next espec!

Manager: Really?

NecroDev: Yeah! it will be a support spec based on condition management. It will be awesome, they will be able to protect their team, cleanse their allies and destroy the boon of their foes. They will control the field, everybody will want them in their party.

PvPDev: That's awesome, but you sure it's safe?

NecroDev: It will be alright, afterall, they already have those tools and I'm just giving them a bit more of those.

_PoF_:

NPC: wow we have dps now!

Anet: Sorry guys, it seem we overlook something and your mechanic doesn't work as intended.

NPC: Wait... Oh shout... we don't have dps anymore and our support suck...

Anet: don't worry, we will give you some power as soon as we will have fixed your mechanic.

Manager: That scourge thingy was dangerous

NecroDev: Sorry...

Manager: was there any testing?

Necrodev: It seemed fine, we had higher metric on the Mirage.

Manager: What do we do?

Necrodev: Fix the shade, that's our highest priority. ATM, it need ton of work.

Manager: will it be ok?

NecroDev: Well, hopefully the animation team will come up with something impactfull ennough for the WvW brainless zergs to see when the scourge use their skills.

Manager: What about support and damage?

NecroDev: We can't put more support on the scourge it would be op. Damage? well... let's take it easy and raise it slowly.