Racial Abuse during PvP game

Eagelseye.6312

I am not sure where to put this up. This is not the correct place to bring such a sensitive topic but as it happened during a PvP match yesterday, I am putting it up here. The player who was in the party which I joined randomly, asked me from where I am, and upon saying that I am from India, started racially abusing me for no reason!

I initially ignored him, but then he just kept crossing the limits, only for me to answer back in the best way possible and subsequently blocking him. Since the release of HoT, when I started playing the game, this is the very first instance where I faced such racial discrimination. It is really sad. Most of the players I met are really nice and I take this player as an exception. However, the words used were so hurtful, I had to bring this up to the Developers here. Hopefully some action would be taken.

Thanks and Regards

Sunny

My advice would be to right click and report the person at the moment this is happening, and then, follow up with a ticket (and screenshots if you have any) with all of the specifics.

It's fine to post here-- directing them to your ticket-- as long as you don't use person's name on forum. Sorry this happened. Whenever a person starts that garbage, immediately put them on block-- but DO report them. Just don't let them ruin your day. Plenty of good people to play with.

I also don't agree with those saying that text can not hurt anyone. Please consider history.

> @Zoria.1392 said:

> My advice would be to right click and report the person at the moment this is happening, and then, follow up with a ticket (and screenshots if you have any) with all of the specifics.

>

> It's fine to post here-- directing them to your ticket-- as long as you don't use person's name on forum. Sorry this happened. Whenever a person starts that garbage, immediately put them on block-- but DO report them. Just don't let them ruin your day. Plenty of good people to play with.

>

> I also don't agree with those saying that text can not hurt anyone. Please consider history.

Text and words can hurt, sure. It's up to you if you let a random ass stranger on the internet get to you, though.

Let that sink, a complete random, who you don't know, and will never meet in real life, managed to rile you up... hmmm.

Trying not to let it get to you is of course a good thing. Block and especially report help with that as you're being proactive in a way they have no control over you. Becoming desensitised to such behave is not a good way to go. There is a whole host of issues associated with that. At the extreme end there is a personality disorder related to it "detachment disorder" though that's more to do with abusive relationships.

Honestly you should be allowed to post his name. It is to protect such racists that companies, often sympathetic to such people, make policies against calling them out.

Post his name on reddit, google+, and everywhere else. I'd like to add that one to my block list.

Here, file a support ticket with the time and they can look at logs and take action if willing.

> @"Vieux P.1238" said:

> BLOCK is the solution to all racial abuse. What is Anet waiting for to implement that feature? OH wait...!

Social exclusion is (one of) the mechanism(s) that communities use to enforce what is deemed acceptable. That power is made exclusive by design to Anet. They define what is acceptable and offer the report function as an alternative to enforce social exclusion (permanent ban) or at least the threat of it. If Anet then fails to act upon it they are condoning and encouraging behaviour that they and/or the community may want to be deemed unacceptable. Blocking alone does not go far enough.

Edit: typo

> @Eagelseye.6312 said:

> > @xDudisx.5914 said:

> > Anet will delete your post because you posted the players name.

>

> Thanks for the advise. I have edited the post and deleted the name. My motivation is not to humuliate or corner a singe individual, but just to bring up such an issue to Anet

The in game reporting isn't very good. It should have a feedback system. Seems like people cross the line with comments fairly often. Whether it is wishing peoples family members die awful deaths, racial insults etc. Would be nice to know reports were reviewed and acted on.

> @saerni.2584 said:

> 1944: fighting racist kitten in Europe

>

> 2017: criticize racists online and get told to suck it up.

>

> Report them and block them. After you call them a kitten of course.

Racism had nothing to do with why we where in the European theater, we didn't even learn about the Holocaust until after France had been retaken. Also the way people dealt with other people being insulting in 1944 was to "knock them down" not whine to highest available authority.

Exercise your own power via the block function, don't wait on Anet.

• ArenaNet Staff

> @Eagelseye.6312 said:

> I am not sure where to put this up. This is not the correct place to bring such a sensitive topic but as it happened during a PvP match yesterday, I am putting it up here. The player who was in the party which I joined randomly, asked me from where I am, and upon saying that I am from India, started racially abusing me for no reason!

>

> I initially ignored him, but then he just kept crossing the limits, only for me to answer back in the best way possible and subsequently blocking him. Since the release of HoT, when I started playing the game, this is the very first instance where I faced such racial discrimination. It is really sad. Most of the players I met are really nice and I take this player as an exception. However, the words used were so hurtful, I had to bring this up to the Developers here. Hopefully some action would be taken.

>

> Thanks and Regards

> Sunny

In-game reporting and blocking of the individual is definitely your best course of action. Our CS teams will review the chat log and take appropriate action.

> @Kichwas.7152 said:

> Honestly you should be allowed to post his name. It is to protect such racists that companies, often sympathetic to such people, make policies against calling them out.

>

> Post his name on reddit, google+, and everywhere else. I'd like to add that one to my block list.

>

> Here, file a support ticket with the time and they can look at logs and take action if willing.

Yeh! Let's witch hunt one guy, that will make us outstanding citizens feel better about ourselves and how nice we are!

Pathetic.

> @Crinn.7864 said:

> > @saerni.2584 said:

> > 1944: fighting racist kitten in Europe

> >

> > 2017: criticize racists online and get told to suck it up.

> >

> > Report them and block them. After you call them a kitten of course.

>

> Racism had nothing to do with why we where in the European theater, we didn't even learn about the Holocaust until after France had been retaken. Also the way people dealt with other people being insulting in 1944 was to "knock them down" not whine to highest available authority.

>

> Exercise your own power via the block function, don't wait on Anet.

>

We cant knock then down though, that power has been taken away. And not just in internet land, provocation isn't a get out of jail free card, mores the pity. Blocking though isn't equal to a right hook, sadly Anet punishing them is.