New to 80 - Holo or Scrapper?

Boans.1307

I almost have 250 points to put into the Elite Spec and I'm still unsure what I'd like. I will likely be focusing on running duo with my wife or solo dungeons or PVP - don't plan on doing any serious raiding.

The problem is they both look fun but most of the discussions I have seen differentiating the two specs look to be a little older and I was wondering which one has the most survival / DPS potential these days?

You should try both out in the pvp lobby. That said, I would say holo has more viability across all game modes (fractals and raids particularly) as a dps spec. Both are great in pvp but holo holds the cake there too.

However, scrapper flamethrower build can do great with lots of barrier for survivability so just depends on what you like.

Holo takes more “skill” via heat maintenance and is more fun to play and what I main. But when I want to be lazy in world meta events/farming, I go flamethrower scrapper

Survival - Scrapper hands down, with decent dps, not stellar like Holosmith but with enough patience you can work through most situations. If you're duo'ing then gyro's add alot to the package either through barrier, condi cleansing or stealth. Plus you have the juggernaut trait, meaning practically permanent stability and insane might generation when weilding a flamethrower - odds are good you can tank whilst your partner does the dps for you.

DPS - No doubt Holosmith, you can build it slightly more tanky or incredibly bursty by simply changing a few traits - heat management isn't that much of an issue once you learn the basics. It really is fun to play and one of the e-specs I enjoy more.

• 3 weeks later...

I find bog standard hammer scrapper (builds available everywhere) is fun for world wandering...I don't really even check if the mob is a veteran, etc as I have so many self-buff, protective, healing, buffing abilities that synch so well i can pretty much just stand there in the fire and grind down any group of mobs.