Deadeye = official weakest elite class

Fxthaid.4832

> @Raiff.6742 said:

> Last census I heard, Engi was the new lowest DPS elite, right next to Mesmer. Would you people please make up your minds, or better yet, just play the kitten game!

>

> Here's a fun fact for ya. To be top dps at any class takes time and research. That's right, you actually have to know how to play the class well to be amazing at it. There is nothing wrong with DE or the rifle. You just have to know how to play the class and enjoy the playstyle. If you don't, then move on. I did for 5 years, I hated everything about the Thief class, now DE is here and I'm maining it, because I love the playstyle.

What you said here is in general true, except for the fact that there is indeed quite a bit wrong with the rifle.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Raiff.6742 said:

> There is nothing wrong with DE or the rifle.

> @Raiff.6742 said:

> **or the rifle**

A slow malice gain for a weapon that relied on malice stack, crappy standing skillset, also got "out of range" and "obstructed" (mostly affect DJ) while your opponent is already in front of your face are now part of the feature eh?

> @Rastel.9157 said:

> > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > @Fxthaid.4832 said:

> > > What is this spec even good for? In PvE it's absolutely useless. In PvP, it's outshadowed by Dual Pistol builds (which is a troll spvp build) and dd condi thieves. The only use I see for it is for roleplaying and low-level pvp.

> > >

> > > And how come nobody is talking about this?

> >

> > If players would:

> > * Keep mark up.

> > * Stop spamming rifle three and find some other source of might generation, as there are plenty of better options to choose from.

> > * Stop trying to melee with it.

> > * Take advantage of the three ini cost stealth afforded by double tapping Sniper's Cover.

> > * Take advantage of it's support capabilities, as they affect the Deadeye too.

> > * Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's Cover is the only way to deal damage with the Rifle.

> > * Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's cover roots you for long periods of time and makes you stupidly vulnerable, when Free Action is instant with no CD.

> > * Find a perch to safe from instead of immediately jumping into the middle of combat.

> > * Not go full glass when the spec gives you near permanent access to might and fury on top of the 20% crit rate afforded by Sniper's Cover.

> > * Use Mark as a range finder as it reaches 1500 without kneeling.

> >

> > they will find its very potent in any game mode they try it in.

>

> Would you maybe help some of us thats new (new too thief at least and rejoined gw2) and want to try the rifle then?

>

> Have a build suggestion and what armor to go for etc?

Don't ask for a build, ask for tips. A build in GW2 is tailored to your playstyle, which is something people don't understand in this game.

The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

The other tips I can give you is...

Use your cantrips, they ARE DESIGNED to be used. Core Thief has always been pretty damn strong when they bust out the utilities, and this is no different with Deadeye as all of your survivability has been neatly packaged into cantrips.

Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the damn time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

If you are scared of people getting in your face, that's ok. Just take Iron Sight. That percentile damage reduction will save your ass so many times. ESPECIALLY when combined with the Shadow Arts line and Sniper's Cover. You can get up to 50% damage reduction, or completely stop them from criting you when you are in stealth.

Learn to use the terrain. The harder it is for someone to get you, the faster they will die or panic.

And most importantly, learn how to be a cheeky bastard. You are a thief, you don't fight fair.

> The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

> @Sobx.1758 said:

> > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

>

> That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

>

> > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

>

> Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

> @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

> >

> > That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> >

> > > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

> >

> > Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

>

> Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

lmao, that's by no means anything that makes "can't use scholar's 6 with rifle" statement valid then, which is exactly why I'm asking.

And yes, that's a cop out answer -that can be said about everything and nothing at the same time and it answers literally nothing.

> @Sobx.1758 said:

> > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

> > >

> > > That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> > >

> > > > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

> > >

> > > Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

> >

> > Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

>

> lmao, that's by no means anything that makes "can't use scholar's 6 with rifle" statement valid then, which is exactly why I'm asking.

> And yes, that's a cop out answer -that can be said about everything and nothing at the same time and it answers literally nothing.

TBH you can't really use it with any thief build, save maybe a unicorn build, simply because thief only has to take a minimum of 1.1k of damage for that bonus to go away. Might as well not be there. And that might be a cop out answer to you, but that's the reality of this game that many players fail to notice. Especially with thief where the d/p daredevil meta is worshiped as the most optimal build, but it barely has much of a role in all game modes and can be easily annihilated by [Ebola](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn0MB9OhFOBemCkmilWCTLAcAWAelh7QKa+EuCfhA-jVyBQBL7EAAgjAwN2fQTq/wsHAwf0H4SlgIT5HGOEAAA-w "Ebola") and good players.

> @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

> > > >

> > > > That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> > > >

> > > > > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

> > > >

> > > > Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

> > >

> > > Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

> >

> > lmao, that's by no means anything that makes "can't use scholar's 6 with rifle" statement valid then, which is exactly why I'm asking.

> > And yes, that's a cop out answer -that can be said about everything and nothing at the same time and it answers literally nothing.

>

> TBH you can't really use it with any thief build, save maybe a unicorn build, simply because thief only has to take a minimum of 1.1k of damage for that bonus to go away. Might as well not be there. And that might be a cop out answer to you, but that's the reality of this game that many players fail to notice. Especially with thief where the d/p daredevil meta is worshiped as the most optimal build, but it barely has much of a role in all game modes and can be easily annihilated by [Ebola](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn0MB9OhFOBemCkmilWCTLAcAWAelh7QKa+EuCfhA-jVyBQBL7EAAgjAwN2fQTq/wsHAwf0H4SlgIT5HGOEAAA-w "Ebola") and good players.

Which, again, is why I asked why he specifically mentioned that "you can't use scholar's 6th ability **with rifle**". Do you understand how sentences work and what he wrote? He didn't say "if you're a glass cannon, getting hit for 10% of your hp is rather easy" (which is obvious to everyone), he said "if you run with rifle, you can't use scholar's 6th ability". Add to that your 24/7 argument "you shouldn't even build glass on DE" and... I'd say you contradict yourself, but we know how well you take it ^^

Seriously you can't take a sentence, cut out 3 words and say "that's what he meant". If that would be what he meant, then he needs some serious work with wording his own thoughts (and why are you even trying to answer for him btw? :D).

Nah, it's a cop out ""answer"" and it answers nothing.

> @Sobx.1758 said:

> > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > > > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

> > > > >

> > > > > That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> > > > >

> > > > > > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

> > > >

> > > > Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

> > >

> > > lmao, that's by no means anything that makes "can't use scholar's 6 with rifle" statement valid then, which is exactly why I'm asking.

> > > And yes, that's a cop out answer -that can be said about everything and nothing at the same time and it answers literally nothing.

> >

> > TBH you can't really use it with any thief build, save maybe a unicorn build, simply because thief only has to take a minimum of 1.1k of damage for that bonus to go away. Might as well not be there. And that might be a cop out answer to you, but that's the reality of this game that many players fail to notice. Especially with thief where the d/p daredevil meta is worshiped as the most optimal build, but it barely has much of a role in all game modes and can be easily annihilated by [Ebola](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn0MB9OhFOBemCkmilWCTLAcAWAelh7QKa+EuCfhA-jVyBQBL7EAAgjAwN2fQTq/wsHAwf0H4SlgIT5HGOEAAA-w "Ebola") and good players.

>

> Which, again, is why I asked why he specifically mentioned that "you can't use scholar's 6th ability **with rifle**". Do you understand how sentences work and what he wrote? He didn't say "if you're a glass cannon, getting hit for 10% of your hp is rather easy" (which is obvious to everyone), he said "if you run with rifle, you can't use scholar's 6th ability". Add to that your 24/7 argument "you shouldn't even build glass on DE" and... I'd say you contradict yourself, but we know how well you take it ^^

> Seriously you can't take a sentence, cut out 3 words and say "that's what he meant". If that would be what he meant, then he needs some serious work with wording his own thoughts (and why are you even trying to answer for him btw? :D).

> Nah, it's a cop out ""answer"" and it answers nothing.

I am going to let you keep pretending the world works how you think it works. You tend to be pretty adamant about that stance.

> @Sobx.1758 said:

> > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > > > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

> > > > >

> > > > > That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> > > > >

> > > > > > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

> > > > >

> > > > > Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

> > > >

> > > > Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

> > >

> > > lmao, that's by no means anything that makes "can't use scholar's 6 with rifle" statement valid then, which is exactly why I'm asking.

> > > And yes, that's a cop out answer -that can be said about everything and nothing at the same time and it answers literally nothing.

> >

> > TBH you can't really use it with any thief build, save maybe a unicorn build, simply because thief only has to take a minimum of 1.1k of damage for that bonus to go away. Might as well not be there. And that might be a cop out answer to you, but that's the reality of this game that many players fail to notice. Especially with thief where the d/p daredevil meta is worshiped as the most optimal build, but it barely has much of a role in all game modes and can be easily annihilated by [Ebola](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn0MB9OhFOBemCkmilWCTLAcAWAelh7QKa+EuCfhA-jVyBQBL7EAAgjAwN2fQTq/wsHAwf0H4SlgIT5HGOEAAA-w "Ebola") and good players.

>

> Which, again, is why I asked why he specifically mentioned that "you can't use scholar's 6th ability **with rifle**". Do you understand how sentences work and what he wrote? He didn't say "if you're a glass cannon, getting hit for 10% of your hp is rather easy" (which is obvious to everyone), he said "if you run with rifle, you can't use scholar's 6th ability". Add to that your 24/7 argument "you shouldn't even build glass on DE" and... I'd say you contradict yourself, but we know how well you take it ^^

> Seriously you can't take a sentence, cut out 3 words and say "that's what he meant". If that would be what he meant, then he needs some serious work with wording his own thoughts (and why are you even trying to answer for him btw? :D).

> Nah, it's a cop out ""answer"" and it answers nothing.

The main reason why I say that you can't use it with rifle, is that rifle makes it rather difficult for you to avoid getting hit when you're ready to kill. The rune's bread and butter normally comes from the Death's Judgement ability which can pack a god damn punch. But to do that, you need to drop into a crouch which is fairly slow. In WvW or PvE most of the enemies can jump on you pretty quickly and hit you for a good chunk of HP. That's not saying that any other weapon makes it easier to get the value out of it however.

I've already tried the rune, and I really couldn't get the value out of it compared to something like Rune of Rage or of the Eagle.

> @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > > @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > > > > > @Sobx.1758 said:

> > > > > > > The best tip I can give you is to just experiment, and don't be afraid to fail.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > That's just such a cop-out answer, might as well be included everywhere and nowhere :D

> > > > > >

> > > > > > > Choose your Runes carefully. Rune of the Scholar tends to be everyone's go to for power damage, but half the kitten time people don't actually read it. They just assume one build fits all. If you roll with the rifle, you can no longer take advantage of Scholar's sixth ability as well. Pick them accordingly to how you play, whether or not you are sure you can continuously take advantage of them, and how much value you can get out of it.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Why can't you use Scholar's 6 with a rifle?

> > > > >

> > > > > Because if a thief takes a single hit by anything the bonus goes away. Also that is not a cop out answer. People have different playstyles and can do much better with a build that fits that playstyle than going with whatever someone else tells them to use.

> > > >

> > > > lmao, that's by no means anything that makes "can't use scholar's 6 with rifle" statement valid then, which is exactly why I'm asking.

> > > > And yes, that's a cop out answer -that can be said about everything and nothing at the same time and it answers literally nothing.

> > >

> > > TBH you can't really use it with any thief build, save maybe a unicorn build, simply because thief only has to take a minimum of 1.1k of damage for that bonus to go away. Might as well not be there. And that might be a cop out answer to you, but that's the reality of this game that many players fail to notice. Especially with thief where the d/p daredevil meta is worshiped as the most optimal build, but it barely has much of a role in all game modes and can be easily annihilated by [Ebola](http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAoYVn0MB9OhFOBemCkmilWCTLAcAWAelh7QKa+EuCfhA-jVyBQBL7EAAgjAwN2fQTq/wsHAwf0H4SlgIT5HGOEAAA-w "Ebola") and good players.

> >

> > Which, again, is why I asked why he specifically mentioned that "you can't use scholar's 6th ability **with rifle**". Do you understand how sentences work and what he wrote? He didn't say "if you're a glass cannon, getting hit for 10% of your hp is rather easy" (which is obvious to everyone), he said "if you run with rifle, you can't use scholar's 6th ability". Add to that your 24/7 argument "you shouldn't even build glass on DE" and... I'd say you contradict yourself, but we know how well you take it ^^

> > Seriously you can't take a sentence, cut out 3 words and say "that's what he meant". If that would be what he meant, then he needs some serious work with wording his own thoughts (and why are you even trying to answer for him btw? :D).

> > Nah, it's a cop out ""answer"" and it answers nothing.

>

> I am going to let you keep pretending the world works how you think it works. You tend to be pretty adamant about that stance.

Sure buddy, let's pretend you're changing builds mid-fight depending on what ""argument"" you need to use and then that it's somehow 'on me'.

> @Smite.3087 said:

> > @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

> > You don't like the rifle then because I love the crap out of my rifle, and I want it too truly shine as a weapon because I am sick to death of melee only weapons being good on thief. I want a good long range alternative which was promised us, and I won't stop asking for those buffs to the rifle and DE until it happens. If you want to play as d/d or whatever to get those 33k damages, then I say stick to the bloody Daredevil. Leave it out of Deadeye until the rifle gets that treatment.

>

> It's got nothing to do with wether I like Rifle or not?

> I absolutely do think that Deadeye as an elite spec should be prioritized over forcing a rifle upon players by blindly buffing it. If you bring up Deadeye as a whole, that also means Rifle becomes better. Wether that leaves Rifle in a bad place or not has more to do with the way Rifle itself plays than Deadeye potential.

>

>

>

Kind of like the whole stealth-sniper concept is terrible, near-impossible to implement, anti-fun for most people. and generally what I've been saying for years.

DE as a whole is a demonstration of bad design, particularly the rifle. The spec could have been done so much better.

Game's pretty generally gone to waste, though. It's worth realizing how much of a trap ANet is just trying to set at this point.

> @Zacchary.6183 said:

> > @Fxthaid.4832 said:

> > What is this spec even good for? In PvE it's absolutely useless. In PvP, it's outshadowed by Dual Pistol builds (which is a troll spvp build) and dd condi thieves. The only use I see for it is for roleplaying and low-level pvp.

> >

> > And how come nobody is talking about this?

>

> If players would:

> * Keep mark up.

> * Stop spamming rifle three and find some other source of might generation, as there are plenty of better options to choose from.

> * Stop trying to melee with it.

> * Take advantage of the three ini cost stealth afforded by double tapping Sniper's Cover.

> * Take advantage of it's support capabilities, as they affect the Deadeye too.

> * Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's Cover is the only way to deal damage with the Rifle.

> * Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's cover roots you for long periods of time and makes you stupidly vulnerable, when Free Action is instant with no CD.

> * Find a perch to safe from instead of immediately jumping into the middle of combat.

> * Not go full glass when the spec gives you near permanent access to might and fury on top of the 20% crit rate afforded by Sniper's Cover.

> * Use Mark as a range finder as it reaches 1500 without kneeling.

>

> they will find its very potent in any game mode they try it in.

" Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's Cover is the only way to deal damage with the Rifle."

EXCEPT THAT IT IS!

" Find a perch to safe from instead of immediately jumping into the middle of combat."

Because mobs NEVER CHASE THE PLAYER OR RUN INTO MELEE RANGE! THAT NEVER HAPPENS EVER!

"Not go full glass when the spec gives you near permanent access to might and fury on top of the 20% crit rate afforded by Sniper's Cover."

"Stop spamming rifle three and find some other source of might generation, as there are plenty of better options to choose from."

Hypocrite alert!

"Not go full glass when the spec gives you near permanent access to might and fury on top of the 20% crit rate afforded by Sniper's Cover."

"Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's Cover is the only way to deal damage with the Rifle."

Hypocrite alert!

"Stop trying to melee with it."

Because mobs NEVER CHASE THE PLAYER OR RUN INTO MELEE RANGE! THAT NEVER HAPPENS EVER!

I feel like you never actually play this spec because none of what you describe matches reality and you constantly contradict yourself without seeming to be aware of it.

Malice is a horribly stupid mechanic that either needs to be completely revamped or simply removed.

WoW Rogue has a similar mechanic and Blizzard spent years figuring out how to make it work. The Anet devs were smoking something if they thought that they could implement that mechanic with just 3 months of development time and a complete lack of playtesting in realistic scenarios. The WoW answer was ultimately to tie the built up stacks to the Rogue instead of the target. The devs also realized that the stack building skills also needed to do just as good damage as the stack using skills. So the skills which build Malice need to deal higher damage, Malice stacks need to build up on the thief without being tied to a target, not disappear quickly, and not having Malice stacks shouldn't cripple the effectiveness of the Thief.

Kneel skill needs to be completely reworked from a crit buff to a defense/range increase buff. The way that the real game is played, the player is supposed to be constantly moving around, that's how the game is designed. So the only logical way to use a skill that pins the player to one spot in a game that is designed to be hectic and require lots of moving is to be a skill that both increases the range of the rifle so that you can fire from a high range until the target reaches your position at which point you stand and shoot normally while running around while also providing a higher amount of defense against builds that would take a huge advantage of a player that was using the kneel skill which makes them prone and immobile until it is canceled.

> @Aetatis.5418 said:

> > @eldrjth.7384 said:

> >

> > > they will find its very potent in any game mode they try it in.

> >

> > considering everything you said it still woulnt be anygood in PvE which is all I play, because the sustain dps will still be low. It will still be clunky to use too imo considering you cant really sit in one play for long in most PvE content. It may be decent, maybe, in PvP though if players use deaths judgement instead of 3 round bursting and let malice max out while trying not to get killed in the mean time somehow.

> >

> >

>

> start playing necro and suddenly you will fell A LOT better and welcome your deadeye in pve with much love :)

Necro is an open world PvE BEAST!

> @Ellisande.5218 said

> " Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's Cover is the only way to deal damage with the Rifle."

> EXCEPT THAT IT IS!

If you are that one-track minded, then yes it is the only way.

> " Find a perch to safe from instead of immediately jumping into the middle of combat."

> "Stop trying to melee with it."

> Because mobs NEVER CHASE THE PLAYER OR RUN INTO MELEE RANGE! THAT NEVER HAPPENS EVER!

Do you even play pve?

> "Not go full glass when the spec gives you near permanent access to might and fury on top of the 20% crit rate afforded by Sniper's Cover."

> "Stop spamming rifle three and find some other source of might generation, as there are plenty of better options to choose from."

> Hypocrite alert!

Conflating a point about DE's build and buff capabilities with another point about DE's buff capabilities while pretending that spamming three is the only way to buff DE. That's not how hypocrisy works.

> "Not go full glass when the spec gives you near permanent access to might and fury on top of the 20% crit rate afforded by Sniper's Cover."

> "Stop thinking that Kneel/Sniper's Cover is the only way to deal damage with the Rifle."

> Hypocrite alert!

Conflating a point about DE's build and buff capabilities with another point about DE's buff capabilities while pretending that spamming three is the only way to deal damage as a DE. That's not how hypocrisy works.

> I feel like you never actually play this spec because none of what you describe matches reality and you constantly contradict yourself without seeming to be aware of it.

Says the one who has no clue [Fire for Effect](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fire_for_Effect "Fire for Effect") exists. Do you really play with Deadeye or do you just repeat what you read?

[[Vial of Salt]](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Vial_of_Salt "[Vial of Salt]")

• 3 months later...

For what it's worth, I've recently come back to the game and I am finding the Deadeye to be a fun profession to play so far. (And thank the stars for HP trains! It is much more enjoyable being able to access all the skills, it likely would have taken me weeks otherwise)

I had a Thief before and I always found the Steal mechanic to be somewhat extraneous and more of an annoyance to use. I am surprised how the Deadeye's Mark made the profession much more interesting to play and how DM kind of manages to capture the feel of sniper which I didn't think was possible in target-based MMO.

Selecting your mark and waiting for Malice to build is an interesting emulation of the feel of watching a target and waiting to line up a sniper shot in an FPS. You are wondering if you should just take the shot early before the target goes wandering away or wait a little bit longer. I am impressed how Anet designers were able to duplicate this sense at all and turn it into a mechanic that makes the Thief much more enjoyable to play.

This doesn't address the OP's issue of the strength of the class. I was using sword and pistol at first but then I realized melee is not the point to this class. I switched to double pistols to go all ranged and the gameplay is much more fun. I can't speak toward the effectiveness of the Deadeye in WvW or sPvP, just what I've seen in openworld mobs so far, so it's not a legitimate view of the strength of the profession.

I do wonder why they called this profession "DeadEye". It's really just the Assassin class for the Thief since Malice works with all weapons. But I suppose they wanted to emphasize the pseudo sniper-feel of it.

Discretize added Deadeye to their list of "good" classes for raids and fractals. With the last patch, it became more useful. I'm still not sure if they are trolling us or if one of their members insisted on putting his favourite class on that list, but there you go. They haven't shown the actual build they believe works. I am sceptical how Deadeye would work in mopst fractals where cleave would help a lot. Maybe they are expecting players to skip the trash anyway so they focus on single target damage.

https://discretize.eu/builds

I can't speak for PvE, but I've been running this in WvW recently to pretty good results:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vZAQNAsYUn0MBFOhlOB+OBUGjFsCjPP2HPkdBgoTOyLDcB6AA-jlSBQBQb/BzoEEAHBAN8IAwiyMRq0IhqfkP9BL4EAQJVQCAgA4m38m38m3s28m38m38m38m38mlCQQlRA-w

It's pretty much the meta core S/D build with deadeye over deadly arts and rifle over shortbow. If there's a lot of thieves around I'll swap my rings and ammy to cavalier and make sure to mark them for damage reduction. Works well for me so far.

This build can hit up to 9k larcenous strikes, 6-11k death's judgements and 4-6k cursed bullets with no malice, so mark - kneel - cursed bullet - death's judgement - three round burst can take down a lot of squishier builds pretty handily. The biggest hit I've seen playing this was a 17k death's judgement following a 7k cursed bullet, do you reeeeeeeeally need more than that?

S/D fills a gap in the build, allowing you to mark, stealth, pew with rifle til they throw up a block and then swap to sword for an unblockable spike. Catches more people out than you'd think. Range is your best weapon so sword 2 is amazing in that regard.

Sure, you get much higher crits on the metabattle build, but you're glassy to the point of being a one trick pony. Try building less glassy and see how it works, it's better than you think.

> @"Urejt.5648" said:

> wow, many month after patching and deadeye is still garbage. sad times

It's hardly rubbish now. Deadeye does good damage after Feb 8th patch for what it specializes in which is single target damage which is all that matters for bosses. It doesn't need cleaves to be good. 33k is an acceptable number now for the rifle.

I think the spec is okay now if you learn to use it. The february 8 patch that let us chain our marks made all the difference to me. I've also found rifle is a decent balance between the raw damage of pistols and the utility of shortbow, at least when one is not stuck on playing stealth sniper.. Been running a DE/Tri/Acro s/p rifle build centered around quickness and interrupts to pretty good effect since then.