About the town clothing tonics?

tiika.8512

Is there a way to get the clothing tonics other than the Trading Post? I have an interest in the Hoodies outfits, which are for some reason absent from the wardrobe tab with the other town outfits, I searched on the wiki and it indicates after the 2014 wardrobe update all of the town clothes are converted to tonics, and they are not found in-game anymore, the only way to get them is through the Trading Post, in addition, the are ridiculously pricey, 469g a tonic for example, it started skyrocketing price wise since 2018 according to Spidy servers, so my question is... why xD? no value to price equivalence whatsoever, they're simple town clothing they're not fancy animated outfits, it's frustrating cause I like simple outfits so they appeal to me, and if there is no way to get these tonics anymore can we please fix that in game? Thank you in advance for reading this small rant.

Town clothes system has been removed 6 years ago, and players that had the town clothes before could convert them to tonics. That's why the price on those tonics is crazy now. The skyrocketing happened when it became possible to convert tonics into proper outfits, which made them much more usable. But once you turn them into outfits, they become untradeable and that lowers already low supply.

But you don't need a pile of gold to get the town clothes you want, just a bit of patience - they do show up for purchase for black lion statuettes (20 for each outfit), that's how I got all of them unlocked. So while you wait for them to pop up again, save up those statuettes! :)

Short answer: No there is currently no other way to get those tonics or the outfits they turn into.

The price shot up in 2018 because Anet added a way to convert the tonics into outfits, which made them actually worth using again and therefore dramatically increased demand.

In spite of appearences you're not the only one who likes simple outfits which look like actual clothing and not disco balls so there's quite a few people who want those outfits and are willing to pay for them. Add on people who want them just because they're rare and hard to get and the price rise isn't surprising.

I agree Anet should add another way to get them, I'm surprised they haven't already done that, I was expecting one not long after they converted them to outfits. They've done it with other items before, like the Mini Karka which was only available during the Lost Shores weekend event in 2012, the price went up to around 3000g, then in 2017 they added the Season 1 memory boxes which gave you tokens to buy new ones and the price dropped again.

Town clothing is just one of those halfbaked ideas that never got implemented properly and never will be. It would have been nice for everyone to automatically shift into their "casual" outfits upon entering certain non-combat areas (ie cities) and hell, it would have given Anet an entirely new gem purchase ecosystem outside of the "combat" outfits that we have now, but nope. Just ignore it.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your answers, especially about the BL statuettes since I had no idea, it is an alternative, yes, but still seems silly there is no way to get them and Anet ignored this since 6 years ago, I do wish they add another way to obtain them instead of the hassle, gonna save up on statuettes until they get offered again, thanks again for the tip x)

Make all of those outfits available for achievements maybe : Could be an arbitrary amount of gold, could doing specific parts of the storyline (There are many instances of us going to a well dressed party... decked in armor) or as a quest chain that fleshes out cities and characters. That way it would at least be achievable, and stays close to it's original intention.

I love the idea of outfits being available for achievements, especially if they're related to the story.

Work in a way to wear an outfit during a story step (like the personal story for Whisper's agents where you're disguised as a pirate, and what you're wearing is the Pirate Captain's Outfit) and then add an optional achievement to unlock the outfit permanently.