Response to WP's "Guild Missions for the POF Era" video

I watched WP's video this subject and it refreshed my mind on some related things I've thought about recently.

I think bounties and the format used for dragon response missions could be expanded on to enhance the game.

With bounties; I'd like to see them rolled out to non-PoF maps; especially core. With bounties they could roll out new bounties and temp put old ones to sleep; rotating them in/out on a weekly basis. Seasonal/festival themed bounties could be developed that would only appear during festivals. If devs get an idea mechanic they want to test out, they could do a local test bounty to see how well it's received before using something like it but more developed in future content.

IMHO, Dragon Response Missions aren't good as an episode of a LW/Saga but are an excellent way to do current events or time period specific content. I know ANet doesn't like updating old content but I think previous current events like the awakened invasions could be converted to Response Missions allowing the map copy to fit that specific time period. Even elements of personal story content could be converted in the form of risen invasions. Since many world bosses are time period specific they could be converted to world boss response missions which players would choose to go into either via an on-site portal that would show up or the world boss portal device. This would allow players to do public or private (expanded for large) groups with world bosses. Exiting would take players either back to their previous map or to the PvE map the world boss is tied to.

Doing both of these would allow many open PvE maps to evolve over time by unbinding them to specific time periods. The response mission copies of maps could be shrunk down to just the affected area. Response missions could be put in rotation with regular dailies to keep the content active.

They sort of DO have core map bounties in the form of Bandit leaders and Legendary Bandit Executioners. I like that they spawn on their own and you can choose to confront them without a commander and there's a chance for it to spawn an even stronger enemy after the initial defeat.

I think it would be neat to make rotating, free spawning Legendary/Champ enemies. I say rotating so that it stays fresh and free-spawning so that it keeps that "stumbled upon" feeling that made the game so fun when we were new. If we could tie a title to managing to defeat them all that would be beautiful.

Any idea that seeks to recycle or upgrade core maps sounds fun to me imo!

I'd love to see the bounty system added to Core maps, and I think it'd revitalise the game. The only problem is, this is (mostly) currently the ONLY content available in PoF maps, unlike with HoT and its complex metas, so it'd make the Crystal Desert abandoned. To implement this properly they'd first have to do a quality pass over PoF metas to make them more engaging and rewarding.

> @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> I'd love to see the bounty system added to Core maps, and I think it'd revitalise the game. The only problem is, this is (mostly) currently the ONLY content available in PoF maps, unlike with HoT and its complex metas, so it'd make the Crystal Desert abandoned. To implement this properly they'd first have to do a quality pass over PoF metas to make them more engaging and rewarding.

I think adding world bosses to PoF maps would be a good start at bring players back.

Would these Bounties be map level, or all L80(+)?

If they are L80(+), will even more L80 characters in leveling maps be a good thing, or bring the same complaints as having Daily events in those maps?

If they are not L80(+) will they be defeated too quickly?

Do the Devs have the tech for large group private instances? So far, we've only seen up to 10 players, I think. I don't know. Maybe WvW is a large group private instance (of sorts).

> @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > I'd love to see the bounty system added to Core maps, and I think it'd revitalise the game. The only problem is, this is (mostly) currently the ONLY content available in PoF maps, unlike with HoT and its complex metas, so it'd make the Crystal Desert abandoned. To implement this properly they'd first have to do a quality pass over PoF metas to make them more engaging and rewarding.

>

> I think adding world bosses to HoT maps would be a good start at bring players back.

Do you mean PoF? People play HoT metas to this day.

> @"Obfuscate.6430" said:

> Any idea that seeks to recycle or upgrade core maps sounds fun to me imo!

I've had an idea for Timberline Falls where it would be divided into day/night cycles revamping a number of things on the south side of the map, with krait spawning grounds in the swamp replacing the risen, giving it some single events, do a meta that leads up to a upgraded krait witch world boss. Night time would be mist terrors breaking through from the swamp. There is a lot more to the idea.

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Would these Bounties be map level, or all L80(+)?

They have to be map level, because all characters are scaled down to map level anyway. A level 80 boss in queensdale would be unkillable.

About Bounties, personally i never liked them. Not against the idea itself, but the implementation wasn't really all that good. They had nothing that would make me doing them, and a lot of things that would make me avoid them like a plague. And apparently i wasn;t alone in this opinion, seeing as the bounties idea got abandoned by Anet even before LS season ended.

> @"Westenev.5289" said:

> > @"Tekoneiric.6817" said:

> > > @"Hannelore.8153" said:

> > > I'd love to see the bounty system added to Core maps, and I think it'd revitalise the game. The only problem is, this is (mostly) currently the ONLY content available in PoF maps, unlike with HoT and its complex metas, so it'd make the Crystal Desert abandoned. To implement this properly they'd first have to do a quality pass over PoF metas to make them more engaging and rewarding.

> >

> > I think adding world bosses to HoT maps would be a good start at bring players back.

>

> Do you mean PoF? People play HoT metas to this day.

Fixed, thanks for spotting that. :)

> @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> Would these Bounties be map level, or all L80(+)?

> If they are L80(+), will even more L80 characters in leveling maps be a good thing, or bring the same complaints as having Daily events in those maps?

> If they are not L80(+) will they be defeated too quickly?

I wonder how they handle it with world bosses or the high end bandits?

> Do the Devs have the tech for large group private instances? So far, we've only seen up to 10 players, I think. I don't know. Maybe WvW is a large group private instance (of sorts).

I don't think Dragon RMs are on a instance because you can exit the character while on the RM map then go back in with your character still on the RM map. That's more like a regular open map. Reducing the RM maps down where they can and eliminating normal map events they can conserve resources on them. It seems to me that if they are done that way they could fit more players on the map.

> @"Astralporing.1957" said:

> > @"Inculpatus cedo.9234" said:

> > Would these Bounties be map level, or all L80(+)?

> They have to be map level, because all characters are scaled down to map level anyway. A level 80 boss in queensdale would be unkillable.

>

> About Bounties, personally i never liked them. Not against the idea itself, but the implementation wasn't really all that good. They had nothing that would make me doing them, and a lot of things that would make me avoid them like a plague. And apparently i wasn;t alone in this opinion, seeing as the bounties idea got abandoned by Anet even before LS season ended.

I think the biggest problem with bounties is that they are the same bounties. If they used them for experimental content to test things on the players they would be much more interesting. Also if bounties rotated to different bounty boards and behaved differently depending on the area it would be more interesting to players. They move a bit but imagine if the Legendary Distraught Choya dropped under the exploded pyramid.

Haven't watched the video, but guild missions as a whole are waaaaaay overdue for updates. Missions have been an awesome way to engage guild members across various levels of experience with the game, uniting newbies and veterans alike, but because they are so dated, it's something that has dropped off the radar for veterans. Additional uses for Guild Commendations could help, but this would need to come alongside actual new ways to earn this currency.