upgrade extractor won't work on gear from the lvl 80 boost

I used the level 80 boost on my silvari and it threw her into the silver wastes. I talked to the mentor and made the level 80 permanent, and went to Divinities reach. I had been experimenting with the stoneskin infusion, and various colored refractors. After getting a good look at it and changing my mind I found out that dragging the lvl 80 equipment, provided by the level 80 boost, into the extractor's window turned the window red. Fortunately, the infusion extractor does work and I was able to recover the stone skin infusion. Can anyone think why the upgrade extractor won't let me extract any upgrades, including upgrades I apply myself, from this set of provided equipment?

Spending level 80 boost just to pull the upgrades off of the provided equipment seems like an odd way to farm, but that is the only motivation I can think of.

Are there any other equips that the Upgrade extractor won't work with? As it stands I am going to have to ditch the provided gear as soon as possible, since I cannot safely customize it.

I would like my green polywhatsit refractor back though.

There was no warning that this could happen, could their be a warning in the future? Perhaps a way to prevent players from using the upgrade slots on that equipment?

It's a known issue and it is because that gear is "free" and people would abuse it by remaking the level 80 characters to get the upgrades out with endless upgrade extractors. Considering some runes are a few gold each it certainly is a concern. It is meant only for testing out the class (incidentally most of those classes are rather terrible on soldier's gear).

Luckily for you refractor is not ridiculously expensive (Vial of Liquid Aurillium , Chak Egg Sac, or Preserved Queen Bee would be a major oops).

It may have been a known issue, but it wasn't known by me. I didn't know the possibility existed. A mail delivered, during the boost, explaining the situation with the equipment would work. A note in the extractor's description would work also. 'removes any upgrade from any piece of equipment without destroying the upgrade or the equipment. note: the upgrade extractor will not work on equipment provided by the level 80 character boost.' I mean currently the extractor does say it works on any equipment, and lists no caveats.