PoF weapon specialization getting close to 100g per collection

rwolf.9571

> @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

> They need to increase the drop rate for those weapons, I used the sunspear collection to get my rifle when it first came out, but in order to get the other weapons I need, there needs to be a drop rate increase.

In this particular case, the player base has a couple of choices they can make in order to increase the droprate themselves:

The first choice is to stop playing content that doesnt drop these items, for example the halloween lab, and start playing content that drops these rewards (pof maps).

Our 2nd choice is to stop salvaging unid gear or at least reduce the rate of salvaged unids.

And probably our best choice would be to raise the average percentage of magic find that gets applied when we ID unid gear. So if all players with less than 300% account magic find would always sell their unids on the tp directly and only players with more than 300% account magic find would post buy orders and buff their mf to 1k before IDing them, there would be plenty of skins to go around.

> @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> > @rwolf.9571 said:

> > So much for these collections being easier than HoT. The named weapons are becoming out of reach quickly as supply dries up. (I'm guessing as peak players for PoF is long and gone now or moved on back to HoT metas)

> >

> > Weapons are currently +85-95 gold, and to complete all the specializations from "buy now" will take +500g

> > And here I thought forging mystic weapons for HoT weapon specialization collections was annoying.

>

> Get on veteran player level.

> Treasure hunter was originally 2k gold to complete.

>

> This PoF is a laugh.

You have to compare HoT collection price, instead of treasure hunter which no-one cares.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > I mean, I'm all for challenges and time-sinks, but gold grinds aren't fun, not functional time-sinks.

> > Instead of saying "buy the weapon for 80-120g" they could've made a second mini-collection with:

> > - clear a bounty on the profession

> > - kill event boss X

> > - complete story on this profession

> >

> > simple things like that, but proofs of valor, instead of proofs of a fat wallet

>

> I do agree if it's something account related, but since you have to do the same world boss 10 times for 10 different achievements, sometimes i do really prefer to buy instead.

> Also it's not the event itself, but all which is related ( Waiting for the event, hope there's a good team, hope it's not bugged, hope it drop 100% the item, and so on ).

It never bothers me for doing those cuz at least the activity is different than mindlessly following a lab train for 10 hrs to get enough gold per weapon.

> @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

> They need to increase the drop rate for those weapons, I used the sunspear collection to get my rifle when it first came out, but in order to get the other weapons I need, there needs to be a drop rate increase.

What they need to do is tie the collection unlock to the _sunspear skin_ rather than _the named exotic item itself_. Then you could at least craft them for yourself.

Or, for that matter, make it so the crafting recipe _makes_ the named exotics instead of generic sunspear weapons.

> @nekretaal.6485 said:

> @Wanze. Exotic gear in the Black lion chest kinda/sorta already happened. Back when bitterfrost frontier was released, Black Lion chests had items (worth 25 silver at the vendor) that could be exchanged (with an additional unbound magic cost) for such an exotic weapon chest.

Yeah, I remember those, good comparison.

I went back to [the wiki](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Chest/historical) to get a better impression of average gold values from the past guaranteed BLC drop containers. Of course thats hard to pin down exactly because we dont know the exact droprates but my educated guesses would estimate that the more valuable containers would be somewhere between 1-2g per blc.

I would estimate the average value of the Cold Forged Exotic Weapon a little higher, probably 3-4g and the average value of an exotic drop from the unid gear loot table maybe 1 gold more in the current market. The CFEW took 3 BLC chests to acquire, so it would end up somewhere between 1-2g per chest as well.

Off topic:

Concerning the [Cold Forged Exotic weapon](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cold-Forged_Exotic_Weapon) from BFF, I never really bothered to get one of those (even though I have some fragments lying around somewhere and I never bothered to look them up at the wiki because i thought the container just gives you a choice of a new untradeable weapon set. So I wasnt aware that it actually had a preview window and we have a pretty good idea about the loot table.

I think this will be a fantastic ressource for me for additional research on average values for unid gear, forging and magic find, so thanks for that.

> @rwolf.9571 said:

> > @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> > > @Zaltys.7649 said:

> > > > @"Omar Aschi Popp.7496" said:

> > > > Get on veteran player level.

> > > > Treasure hunter was originally 2k gold to complete.

> > > Gold was also far easier to farm than it is nowadays, so...

> > >

> >

> > Explain

> >

>

> 2g for daily. +10g for 40-60 min of daily T4 Fractals (With a good pug). HoT metas, Silverwastes. Molten Boss Fractal farm.

>

> Reminds me back in the day when dungeon runs were a thing.

You just described why gold is easy to farm now, not what the OP said which was gold was easier to farm then. Sure dungeon runs are less profitable now (though not as much as you think... some redditors have done the math and dungeons can still turn a decent profit, especially if you're a more casual dungeon runner i.e. 9 path vs 20 path.) but there are so many other ways to make gold that can be measured in the 10-20 Gold per Hour range now that it's not really harder to make gold. 150g per week? At most 15 hours of farm a week, but realistically if you optimize, like old dungeon running was, it's half that or less... an hour of farming a day and that's all.

> @Wanze.8410 said:

> > @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> > Wait. The crafted sunspear exotics do not work for the collections? You have to actually get the ludicrously rare exotic drops to complete them?

> >

> > Just great. Another item for trading post bots to keep the prices artificially high by buying entire stocks and re-selling them back higher because the low drop rate gives them more than enough time to keep them that way.

> >

> > These extremely rare items that are part of collections need to be changed to be "account bound on trade" so they can only be used or traded, but never bought only to sell them again. This way people with absolutely no ethics whatsoever stop exploiting their low rarity to keep control over the entire stock and leech gold off people with bad luck trying to complete things.

>

> i always wonder how those tp bots manage to convince the player base to stop farming those items.

You can't really 'farm' something with such a low drop rate. Of course 'farm' can be used to mean "try to get something over and over" in general, but it also makes it sound like the pace is faster than it is.

For example, if you follow community runs with 30-50 people who are constantly doing events that give unique core exotics drops, you'll see these items hardly ever drop. There's some that haven't dropped for months. There's people who have done a particular boss since it was released or every single boss that drops something for Treasure Hunter every single day without getting 1 of the rare drops. They are that rare, and there's no alternative currencies for them like with the Legendary Bounty currencies in PoF, or a 'guaranteed consolation price' like with the Hero's Choice chest in HoT.

So when someone does get the drop, they can either sell it or add it to the collection. Adding it removes it. And once they have that item they are less likely to do that one boss because there's many other things to do and time is limited. So the rarity of these items never goes down as people keep getting them, because les people get them over time, so they consistently stay on the higher ends of rarity.

And even when people do get them and sell them, they may not have enough coin to put a high value in the trading post. So whenever someone puts them with a low price, that's where the bot jumps in and buys the item and puts it back with a high value. It won't matter how many people do this, they can do it for each one because the stock movements of these items is so slow and infrequent.

Going back to the drops of unidentified gear, they are not so easy to get. There's a few chests and events that will give guaranteed rares, but all other sources are random, so it isn't easy to get that many of them. And once you get your hands on one, then they are still very unlikely to give an exotic drop, even if you stack magic find like crazy.

Because there's so few of those items being put on sale, it's way easier to keep their entire stock controlled and the price artificially higher. And proof of this is the difference between the prices of those that are required for a collection, and those that are not: Up to 2000% higher. Just insane. You may think "well, the demand is higher", but that's just an excuse. Those earning more should be the ones skilled enough to win more at more of content, not those who got some TP bot off some german or russian hacking site and set some rules to buy certain items as soon as they are put on sale.

> @"Hyper Cutter.9376" said:

> > @"Doctor Hide.6345" said:

> > They need to increase the drop rate for those weapons, I used the sunspear collection to get my rifle when it first came out, but in order to get the other weapons I need, there needs to be a drop rate increase.

> What they need to do is tie the collection unlock to the _sunspear skin_ rather than _the named exotic item itself_. Then you could at least craft them for yourself.

>

> Or, for that matter, make it so the crafting recipe _makes_ the named exotics instead of generic sunspear weapons.

That would definitely solve the issue.

> @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> You can't really 'farm' something with such a low drop rate. Of course 'farm' can be used to mean "try to get something over and over" in general, but it also makes it sound like the pace is faster than it is.

Precisely.

And considering how few of those are listed in TP, I'm still not convinced that they actually even drop from anywhere besides the collection. So far I've only met one player who claimed to have got those as drops (asked about it in a couple of bounty trains), but it turned out that he had confused them with the rares. :/

I would love to see data on what percentage of players finished more than one or two of those collections (since you get 1 for free and you can use a few for two collections).

I have also one guildmate who says they got one as a drop. ONE. Of all the people I play with.

ANet fixed a lot of HoT issues later after launch, so I'm hoping something will happen with this as well. They can't have meant these collections to be so exclusive that you'd have to play over 100 gold to finish it. A good choice would be what people have suggested - replace the named exotic with the skin of that weapon, much easier. But personally I won't be buying any of those named weapons with the current system.

> @Zaltys.7649 said:

> > @MithranArkanere.8957 said:

> > You can't really 'farm' something with such a low drop rate. Of course 'farm' can be used to mean "try to get something over and over" in general, but it also makes it sound like the pace is faster than it is.

> Precisely.

> And considering how few of those are listed in TP, I'm still not convinced that they actually even drop from anywhere besides the collection. So far I've only met one player who claimed to have got those as drops (asked about it in a couple of bounty trains), but it turned out that he had confused them with the rares. :/

the player base as a whole can farm these by chosing to play content that drops these rewards (PoF maps), instead of other content (halloween lab for example) that doesnt drop these skins, this would raise general supply.

The player base can also decide to raise the average magic find applied to IDing unid gear, which will also increase general supply of these skins.

Myself and others have published research from IDing thousands of rare unids and I can confirm that they drop there.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Ayakaru.6583 said:

> > I mean, I'm all for challenges and time-sinks, but gold grinds aren't fun, not functional time-sinks.

> > Instead of saying "buy the weapon for 80-120g" they could've made a second mini-collection with:

> > - clear a bounty on the profession

> > - kill event boss X

> > - complete story on this profession

> >

> > simple things like that, but proofs of valor, instead of proofs of a fat wallet

>

> I do agree if it's something account related, but since you have to do the same world boss 10 times for 10 different achievements, sometimes i do really prefer to buy instead.

> Also it's not the event itself, but all which is related ( Waiting for the event, hope there's a good team, hope it's not bugged, hope it drop 100% the item, and so on ).

Why one boss 10 times? Why not choose appropriate bosses for every class. Shadow Behemoth for necromancer, fire elemental for weaver, the krait witch in the lake for the mesmer, i mean those are probably bad suggestions, but 10 achievements with 1 boss is indeed bad design