guild system improvements?

Revel.2067

Will we ever see improvements on the current guild system?

I think the current guild mechanic could use an improvement. Yes, the purpose of having a guild is to be a part of a community, and has been incentivized by waypoint discounts, guild commendations, among other things. but it feels lacking in competitive gameplay.

Personally, I would like to see:

1.) Weekly guild battles/Tournaments; as opposed to WvWvW, this would be true to Guild Wars' name. Also, it will provide an official platform for the players who engage in improvised GvG.

2.) Bring back guild alliances? Being able to join 5 guilds seem great, but at the cost of isolating guilds. Adding a platform for guild alliances would open the game to new possibilities.

3.) If competitive gameplay between guilds come to fruition, a guild leaderboard.

According to the president of the company in the last AMA, they have dissolved the guild content team at Anet and we will only see new content centered on guilds if a "developer decides to do it in their free time" - which means we shouldn't expect anything for the foreseeable future, possibly ever.

I've said it a few times - this was the single biggest mistake that ArenaNet has made since the launch of the game. Guilds are important to the game. Choosing to abandon new guild focused development initiatives seems short sighted and out of touch with the game's community.

> @Blaeys.3102 said:

> According to the president of the company in the last AMA, they have dissolved the guild content team at Anet and we will only see new content centered on guilds if a "developer decides to do it in their free time" - which means we shouldn't expect anything for the foreseeable future, possibly ever.

>

> I've said it a few times - this was the single biggest mistake that ArenaNet has made since the launch of the game. Guilds are important to the game. Choosing to abandon new guild focused development initiatives seems short sighted and out of touch with the game's community.

> @Blaeys.3102 said:

> According to the president of the company in the last AMA, they have dissolved the guild content team at Anet and we will only see new content centered on guilds if a "developer decides to do it in their free time" - which means we shouldn't expect anything for the foreseeable future, possibly ever.

>

> I've said it a few times - this was the single biggest mistake that ArenaNet has made since the launch of the game. Guilds are important to the game. Choosing to abandon new guild focused development initiatives seems short sighted and out of touch with the game's community.

Oh, thanks for the information. The irony in this is amazing. I mean, it is called "Guild Wars". Not focusing on improving content on the namesake of the game is just ridiculous.

> @Blaeys.3102 said:

>

Or it seems exactly in touch with the community, that has thrived despite the lackluster tools for building, maintaining, & growing guilds. I'd love to see more guild features and more medium- or large-scaled organized group content. But what would we be willing to give up in the short and long run to make that happen?

At best, guilds appeal to a prominent plurality of current players, whereas most of the current teams are focused on content that appeals to everyone (or at least, everyone for a particular game mode). We know there are teams for PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids, Living World Stories (at least 2), rewards, design, QA/bugs. All of that is finally getting done in a regular (if predictable) and reliable schedule. What should be dropped in order to make a team working on guild content?

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> Or it seems exactly in touch with the community, that has thrived despite the lackluster tools for building, maintaining, & growing guilds. I'd love to see more guild features and more medium- or large-scaled organized group content. But what would we be willing to give up in the short and long run to make that happen?

>

> At best, guilds appeal to a prominent plurality of current players, whereas most of the current teams are focused on content that appeals to everyone (or at least, everyone for a particular game mode). We know there are teams for PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids, Living World Stories (at least 2), rewards, design, QA/bugs. All of that is finally getting done in a regular (if predictable) and reliable schedule. What should be dropped in order to make a team working on guild content?

>

I see your point. Maybe they could refocus some of their resources to balance it out. Instead of developing entirely new content, why not work on improving the existing systems in place first?

> @Revel.2067 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > Or it seems exactly in touch with the community, that has thrived despite the lackluster tools for building, maintaining, & growing guilds. I'd love to see more guild features and more medium- or large-scaled organized group content. But what would we be willing to give up in the short and long run to make that happen?

> >

> > At best, guilds appeal to a prominent plurality of current players, whereas most of the current teams are focused on content that appeals to everyone (or at least, everyone for a particular game mode). We know there are teams for PvP, WvW, Fractals, Raids, Living World Stories (at least 2), rewards, design, QA/bugs. All of that is finally getting done in a regular (if predictable) and reliable schedule. What should be dropped in order to make a team working on guild content?

> >

>

> I see your point. Maybe they could refocus some of their resources to balance it out. Instead of developing entirely new content, why not work on improving the existing systems in place first?

First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

> First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

>

> I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

All of the things you've mentioned are outstanding features indeed, but I'm sure there's a considerable number of players who would love to see ANet make improvements to what everyone would expect to be the main focus of the game, hence its name, "Guild Wars".

> @midget.3162 said:

> Guild Alliances god I miss that, it was so great in Guild Wars 1. I never got the hang of why they abandoned that...

I agree! The system in place for guilds in Guild Wars 1 was truly amazing. Being part of an alliance between guilds, being able to be a part of a big community together was truly better than being in 5 guilds but isolated in each one without even any hint of competitive gameplay.

> @Revel.2067 said:

> > First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

> >

> > I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

>

> All of the things you've mentioned are outstanding features indeed, but I'm sure there's a considerable number of players who would love to see ANet make improvements to what everyone would expect to be the main focus of the game, hence its name, "Guild Wars".

I'm sure there are. What are those players willing to give up to get them?

(PS I never expected the focus of the game to be guilds. I suspect that the numbers of people who did or still do is low.)

> > @Revel.2067 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

> > >

> > > I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

> >

> > All of the things you've mentioned are outstanding features indeed, but I'm sure there's a considerable number of players who would love to see ANet make improvements to what everyone would expect to be the main focus of the game, hence its name, "Guild Wars".

>

> I'm sure there are. What are those players willing to give up to get them?

> (PS I never expected the focus of the game to be guilds. I suspect that the numbers of people who did or still do is low.)

I guess ANet could decide that through statistics. Collect data from existing features and reallocate resources from the least popular? Idk, just an idea.

> @Revel.2067 said:

> > > @Revel.2067 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

> > > >

> > > > I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

> > >

> > > All of the things you've mentioned are outstanding features indeed, but I'm sure there's a considerable number of players who would love to see ANet make improvements to what everyone would expect to be the main focus of the game, hence its name, "Guild Wars".

> >

> > I'm sure there are. What are those players willing to give up to get them?

> > (PS I never expected the focus of the game to be guilds. I suspect that the numbers of people who did or still do is low.)

>

> I guess ANet could decide that through statistics. Collect data from existing features and reallocate resources from the least popular? Idk, just an idea.

You think that they haven't done that already to come up with their current business plans?

YES PLEASE!!! Give meaning to guilds.. It's completly useless to be in Guild, you have no advantages at all..

Also this is supposed to be 'Guild Wars' game.. you can't even invite other guild to your guild hall and do GvG ??? OMG seriously, I can't even get anyone to donate for our guild hall to build something because why should they? They won't get anything back from it, Guild halls are completly useless..

I think after long time of playing this game (since release) I really have to admit and say this game is dying because of little stupid things like this that should be in game since ever.

> > @Revel.2067 said:

> > > > @Revel.2067 said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

> > > >

> > > > All of the things you've mentioned are outstanding features indeed, but I'm sure there's a considerable number of players who would love to see ANet make improvements to what everyone would expect to be the main focus of the game, hence its name, "Guild Wars".

> > >

> > > I'm sure there are. What are those players willing to give up to get them?

> > > (PS I never expected the focus of the game to be guilds. I suspect that the numbers of people who did or still do is low.)

> >

> > I guess ANet could decide that through statistics. Collect data from existing features and reallocate resources from the least popular? Idk, just an idea.

>

> You think that they haven't done that already to come up with their current business plans?

> > @Revel.2067 said:

> > > > @Revel.2067 said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > First, most gamers aren't satisfied with "improving the systems in place first" — we devour new content crazy fast. But more importantly, ANet also improves the existing systems, which is why we have a wardrobe, a wallet, shared inventory, salvage all, preview containers, open all, etc. The question remains: what of their existing efforts are we willing to give up?

> > > > >

> > > > > I'm sure some would love to see the raid team dropped (or cut drastically) in favor of having a guild team, but I hope most people can see that would be bad for the game overall.

> > > >

> > > > All of the things you've mentioned are outstanding features indeed, but I'm sure there's a considerable number of players who would love to see ANet make improvements to what everyone would expect to be the main focus of the game, hence its name, "Guild Wars".

> > >

> > > I'm sure there are. What are those players willing to give up to get them?

> > > (PS I never expected the focus of the game to be guilds. I suspect that the numbers of people who did or still do is low.)

> >

> > I guess ANet could decide that through statistics. Collect data from existing features and reallocate resources from the least popular? Idk, just an idea.

>

> You think that they haven't done that already to come up with their current business plans?

I'm sure they have. just not for the improvement of guilds, but for an entirely different content.

Or they could make an in-game poll/survey to let the playerbase vote for the next content if they're afraid of making others unhappy like what happened when HoT came out.

> @beno.7985 said:

> YES PLEASE!!! Give meaning to guilds.. It's completly useless to be in Guild, you have no advantages at all..

> Also this is supposed to be 'Guild Wars' game.. you can't even invite other guild to your guild hall and do GvG ??? OMG seriously, I can't even get anyone to donate for our guild hall to build something because why should they? They won't get anything back from it, Guild halls are completly useless..

> I think after long time of playing this game (since release) I really have to admit and say this game is dying because of little stupid things like this that should be in game since ever.

> @beno.7985 said:

> YES PLEASE!!! Give meaning to guilds.. It's completly useless to be in Guild, you have no advantages at all..

> Also this is supposed to be 'Guild Wars' game.. you can't even invite other guild to your guild hall and do GvG ??? OMG seriously, I can't even get anyone to donate for our guild hall to build something because why should they? They won't get anything back from it, Guild halls are completly useless..

> I think after long time of playing this game (since release) I really have to admit and say this game is dying because of little stupid things like this that should be in game since ever.

I agree, focus should've been given to guild content from the start. or at least be made significant. Not just a "group chat" you can run off to when you need something. But a place where you can have fun and contribute to your guild. and that won't happen until guild content is improved.

I'll just bump this again because I hope developers see this.

> @Revel.2067 said:

> Will we ever see improvements on the current guild system?

>

> I think the current guild mechanic could use an improvement. Yes, the purpose of having a guild is to be a part of a community, and has been incentivized by waypoint discounts, guild commendations, among other things. but it feels lacking in competitive gameplay.

>

> Personally, I would like to see:

>

> 1.) Weekly guild battles/Tournaments; as opposed to WvWvW, this would be true to Guild Wars' name. Also, it will provide an official platform for the players who engage in improvised GvG.

> 2.) Bring back guild alliances? Being able to join 5 guilds seem great, but at the cost of isolating guilds. Adding a platform for guild alliances would open the game to new possibilities.

> 3.) If competitive gameplay between guilds come to fruition, a guild leaderboard.

> @beno.7985 said:

• 3 weeks later...

> @beno.7985 said:

> I'll just bump this again because I hope developers see this.

> > @Revel.2067 said:

>

> > Will we ever see improvements on the current guild system?

> >

> > I think the current guild mechanic could use an improvement. Yes, the purpose of having a guild is to be a part of a community, and has been incentivized by waypoint discounts, guild commendations, among other things. but it feels lacking in competitive gameplay.

> >

> > Personally, I would like to see:

> >

> > 1.) Weekly guild battles/Tournaments; as opposed to WvWvW, this would be true to Guild Wars' name. Also, it will provide an official platform for the players who engage in improvised GvG.

> > 2.) Bring back guild alliances? Being able to join 5 guilds seem great, but at the cost of isolating guilds. Adding a platform for guild alliances would open the game to new possibilities.

> > 3.) If competitive gameplay between guilds come to fruition, a guild leaderboard.

>

>

> > @beno.7985 said:

> > YES PLEASE!!! Give meaning to guilds.. It's completly useless to be in Guild, you have no advantages at all..

> > Also this is supposed to be 'Guild Wars' game.. you can't even invite other guild to your guild hall and do GvG ??? OMG seriously, I can't even get anyone to donate for our guild hall to build something because why should they? They won't get anything back from it, Guild halls are completly useless..

> > I think after long time of playing this game (since release) I really have to admit and say this game is dying because of little stupid things like this that should be in game since ever.

Imagine being able to host GvG tournaments! Also, we will be able to have Guild Recognition and with it more competitive gameplay. We will know who the best guilds are according to their performance. Not just join random map-spamming guilds, which anecdotal evidence suggest that 100% of the time, it isn't as fun. There should be more communication between guilds through opposition or alliances.

Anet has been moving away from guilds since heroes were introduced into GW1 over 10 years ago. When I first started playing GW1 you need people you could rely on to complete some of the content. More and more they moved away with from that and at the end the only thing you needed a guild for was GvG. Hard mode missions were able to be done solo except for at times the luxon/kurzick mission and even then with the right build you could do it once you learned the timing.

Guild Wars 2 reinforced this with the ability to freely move between zones without having to do missions to unlock them (with few exceptions). While I like guilds and having a group of people to do things with, it's not required to play the game. You don't need a guild to do any of the content a guild makes it easier when they have the same focus but it's not required.