[POLL] Mount Skins Distribution - A Serious Poll

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Kheldorn.5123 said:

> > > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > > @Eltiana.9420 said:

> > > > **Anet has to make money**, and skins are skins, it's not like they're necessary to play the game.

> > >

> > > God, thanks!

> > > Finally some other player said it.

> > >

> > >

> >

> > Well... I adressed this in opening post you know. Most people here don't mind paying for mounts. The only gripe is RNG gate.

>

> I would like just to see if with a

> 1. **rng** = 320gems

>

> and a

>

> 2. **not rng**= 700gems there won't be any complain.

>

> I think many players do want the same price without the RNG gate instead of a trade ( just in order to allow ANET to gain some money ).

> Currently is somehow like the spooky mounts ( which was at first OMG only through bundle! ), though slightly different.

>

> ps: And i want to underline that in order to buy a bundle to save gems, many players will probably buy gems with real money ( what ANET probably hope ) instead of buying every single skin for 400 gems ( which will cost 80 gems more per skin. 20% extra ). ANET needs somebody to buy gems for real money, not golds.

>

> And i do understand that it is pretty unfair not to give a choice, but it's optional, and we have no sub, nor pay to win.

>

>

Halloween mounts are not rng and have 400 gem price.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > >

> > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> >

> > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> >

> > Per definition.

> >

> > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

>

> It's not content.

> Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

Let's remove the whole wardrobe full of skins. Doesn't remove content.

And converting ingame currency into gemstore currency makes it even more of a reward that you can buy with a certain amount of ingame effort.

> @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> 400 is fine. Matches up with gliders.

>

> RNG.. please get out of the BLTC right away.

I'd be down for buying a majority of the skins introduced with this gamble for 400 - 800 gems if it meant I didn't have to deal with the cursed RNG pool of 30 skins where half of them I have no interest in lol so +1 to this

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @"Manasa Devi.7958" said:

> > > I'd actually be willing to spend 650-800 on the fancier ones, four hundred on some of the themed ones, and I don't care what price the others are: I wouldn't pay 50 gems for the striped raptor, for example.

>

> > Can't account for taste. I wouldn't use a mount with particle effects if I got it for free, but I would pay 800 gems for the striped raptor if I knew it had 4 dye channels.

>

> Interesting. I felt it looks just like the current raptor, with a racing stripe.

> Proves the point I often make in threads about skins: no matter how ugly one thinks a skin is, 10-30% of the community will love it. No matter how much one loves a skin, there's also 10-30% who can't stand it

>

> so again, details aside, I think we agree that there are some skins we'd pay more than 400 gems for... if we got to choose.

I don't care about the stripe. I just want a regular looking raptor with 4 dye channels. I don't know if the striped one has that, I haven't checked and I'm not going to because I'm not going to gamble for a mount skin anyway. But if it had 4 channels, I'd get it, or any single one of the 'plain' looking raptors. Basically, if it doesn't look like a xmas-tree or some other gimmicky disaster, and it has 4 dye channels, I'd buy it. Things being as they are now, I'm not spending a penny.

Fancier skins could be pricier. Plainer skins should be cheaper. Let us buy them by the skin not pray and hope we get the sparkly one. I may not want all the skins but I would buy a lot more if I had a choice and they released maybe one or two at a time. It makes me kind of disinterested in even buying a holiday skin which I am sure will be released with Wintersday and probably RNG and/or more expensive to boot. 2K for a mount skin should get you a matching outfit..... Bad, bad decision to do it this way. I have not heard any positive comments in game about this gambit. Folk are more than willing to spend their gems just not in this way.

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > > >

> > > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> > >

> > > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> > >

> > > Per definition.

> > >

> > > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

> >

> > It's not content.

> > Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

>

> Let's remove the whole wardrobe full of skins. Doesn't remove content.

>

> And converting ingame currency into gemstore currency makes it even more of a reward that you can buy with a certain amount of ingame effort.

if it's drop related or achievement related is content.

What are you talking about?

buying a lvl 80 boost is content?

A salvage copper o matic?

A spooky mounts?

Seriously.

@"Kheldorn.5123" : and still people complained about the bundle for the whole halloween. not being able to buy em separately.

> @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > > >

> > > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> > >

> > > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> > >

> > > Per definition.

> > >

> > > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

> >

> > It's not content.

> > Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

>

> Yes lol it is friggin' content.

>

> Per definition.

>

> Models and textures are content - ask any friggin' developer.

Game content is generally considered to be stuff that you can do or work towards, e.g. stories or quests or collections. Skins are just what you look like as you do that stuff. It's fine if you don't like what ANet's done here (and you're not alone), but you'd get more support if you stopped exaggerating what's actually being offered. In particular, I've been clear that I won't pay 400 gems for RNG, whether or not it's a good idea. I'd be on board with people asking for a change. I just have trouble doing so when people start inventing issues.

Whether it's content or not is moot, the fact is that all that the RNG is gating is how your mount looks, not what you get to play or how you do so. It might be expensive, it might be outrageously priced. It might be horribly frustrating and annoying. But it's not some sort of morally questionable business practice that ANet hasn't used before. It's just much more noticeable because there simply aren't any other mount outfits available yet, i.e. it's currently the only way to obtain new skins, not a small fraction of many different opportunities.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > > > >

> > > > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> > > >

> > > > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> > > >

> > > > Per definition.

> > > >

> > > > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

> > >

> > > It's not content.

> > > Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

> >

> > Yes lol it is friggin' content.

> >

> > Per definition.

> >

> > Models and textures are content - ask any friggin' developer.

>

> Game content is generally considered to be stuff that you can do or work towards, e.g. stories or quests or collections. Skins are just what you look like as you do that stuff. It's fine if you don't like what ANet's done here (and you're not alone), but you'd get more support if you stopped exaggerating what's actually being offered. In particular, I've been clear that I won't pay 400 gems for RNG, whether or not it's a good idea. I'd be on board with people asking for a change. I just have trouble doing so when people start inventing issues.

>

> Whether it's content or not is moot, the fact is that all that the RNG is gating is how your mount looks, not what you get to play or how you do so. It might be expensive, it might be outrageously priced. It might be horribly frustrating and annoying. But it's not some sort of morally questionable business practice that ANet hasn't used before. It's just much more noticeable because there simply aren't any other mount outfits available yet, i.e. it's currently the only way to obtain new skins, not a small fraction of many different opportunities.

Game models and textures are content. _Per definition_.

Simple as that.

As such, skins on the Gemstore very much qualifies as premium _content_.

I honestly don't see why you people are having such issues with this classification? Why does it bother you so?

we already have the chests of the black lion, that's fine for RNG ... but this? and that to have all the skins you need $ 120? I thought Anet was a different company, but now I realize that it is equal to all the others ... I would be willing to pay up to 700 gems for a skin that I would like to choose, not that they choose for me.

They have disappointed me.

I was looking forward to mount skins and they pulled this s---. Seriously? Black Lion keys are enough, don't force us to spend all our money to get garbage we don't want. This is cheap of you guys. I will pay the price but GOD don't try to milk me of every cent I own so I can make my rabbit look like something less stupid. I am just below working age in my state. I do not have any source of income but forgotten change and 1 dollar bills in my dad's jeans in the laundry room. I can't afford any of this. Single skins for 400 gems, sure, but I'm not paying a dime if I don't have a choice.

The giant crowd of rich people in Lion's Arch showing off their new toys is not helping my mood at the moment. "If you don't like the gamble just get the deluxe pack" one of them literally told me. Take your fancy new griffon that cost you over $100, ( Disregarding the base mount, ) and jump off a cliff, please. Along with this damn RNG system they have now.

> @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > > > >

> > > > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> > > >

> > > > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> > > >

> > > > Per definition.

> > > >

> > > > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

> > >

> > > It's not content.

> > > Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

> >

> > Let's remove the whole wardrobe full of skins. Doesn't remove content.

> >

> > And converting ingame currency into gemstore currency makes it even more of a reward that you can buy with a certain amount of ingame effort.

>

> if it's drop related or achievement related is content.

> What are you talking about?

>

> buying a lvl 80 boost is content?

> A salvage copper o matic?

> A spooky mounts?

>

> Seriously.

>

> @"Kheldorn.5123" : and still people complained about the bundle for the whole halloween. not being able to buy em separately.

Play content, get gold, convert to gems, get reward. Might be a bit more indirect than a straight drop or achievement, but it is there.

If a drop can be sold on the TP, you buy gems with real money, convert to gold, buy said items of the TP, then that items, that originates from a drop, isn't content?

All ingame assets are content of the game. I can't help it you find some content more important than others and thus say it's not content, because of whatever reason.

Just go by the original definition of content. Not like this is also in this box, but it's not the box' content.

So yes, Seriously.

As a compromise I would like to see maybe specific RNG box. I would be more inclined to buy if they were mount specific RNG boxes. I got lucky with 2 boxes today and getting a raptor and jackal that I am very happy with, but I am worried that I'd get another jackal mount when I got the one I really wanted and will use. I'd be happy to buy a box that was only Griffon mounts, etc. I'd hate to buy 3 and get all jackal mounts.

Though, honestly I'd love to pick with direct buy, but above would be my idea of a compromise. :)

5 euros for a completely random mount skin is excessive in my opinion, especially if you can't even choose what mount type you would like. Either the price should be lowered for RNG or people should be at least able to choose what mount type they would like if they're chasing after so they don't end up with raptors and bunnies if they're after space griffon. I'd personally even pay more for a mount skin I could just pick for myself than have to rely on RNG with

> @"Lord Rhett.9360" said:

> I hope people realize that requesting no RNG means the cost will start at 1k gems/skin.

I have 3k gems. I would be able to buy 3 skins I like at that point. With this system it's more like a 30% chance whether I would get it.

It's buying something you like, vs possibly throwing your gems down the drain, well okay, you do get other skins, that you possibly don't really care for, I suppose.

>

> > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > @FrizzFreston.5290 said:

> > > > @Shirlias.8104 said:

> > > > > > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > > > > > @Oglaf.1074 said:

> > > > > > > What people are complaining about is _gambling for premium content_.

> > > > > >

> > > > > > Skins now count as "content"?

> > > > > > There's plenty to complain about, let's not invent things just to give ANet a hard time.

> > > > >

> > > > > Erhm yes, it is premium content. Skins are contents, both regular and premium.

> > > > >

> > > > > Per definition.

> > > > >

> > > > > Content is _not_ synonymous with gameplay such as expansion packs or living world story unlocks you know.

> > > >

> > > > It's not content.

> > > > Also, you can convert in game currency into shop currency, so it's not premium either.

> > >

> > > Let's remove the whole wardrobe full of skins. Doesn't remove content.

> > >

> > > And converting ingame currency into gemstore currency makes it even more of a reward that you can buy with a certain amount of ingame effort.

> >

> > if it's drop related or achievement related is content.

> > What are you talking about?

> >

> > buying a lvl 80 boost is content?

> > A salvage copper o matic?

> > A spooky mounts?

> >

> > Seriously.

> >

> > @"Kheldorn.5123" : and still people complained about the bundle for the whole halloween. not being able to buy em separately.

>

> Play content, get gold, convert to gems, get reward. Might be a bit more indirect than a straight drop or achievement, but it is there.

>

> If a drop can be sold on the TP, you buy gems with real money, convert to gold, buy said items of the TP, then that items, that originates from a drop, isn't content?

>

> All ingame assets are content of the game. I can't help it you find some content more important than others and thus say it's not content, because of whatever reason.

>

> Just go by the original definition of content. Not like this is also in this box, but it's not the box' content.

>

> So yes, Seriously.

Nice try.

Play content in order to get golds and then buy from the shop, so the shop is like unlocking a skin from an achievement!

I can't believe that you did say something like this.

/laugh

I've gotta say, after 4 years of playing, this is the first time I've ever felt, well... cheated by ANet. I know, there're a lot of times where something happens, there's some release, and everyone gets in an uproar, I tend to not really get caught up into that, it's the internet and people get... well, you know. But, yeah, not this time. This time I agree.

I admit, I did buy gems, a lot of gems today, and got a bunch of the mount skin claim tickets, so, I participated, and I wish I hadn't (excitement got the better of me) but... I only wanted one of the skins. Some of the skins I did get are nice, and I kinda like them. But... I spent actual money for something I don't want. I do not feel okay with this. I tried looking for a place to file some kind of complaint, and this is the best I could find? So, yeah.

I expect better from ANet, and this is not okay.

> @Oglaf.1074 said:

> Game models and textures are content. _Per definition_.

>

> Simple as that.

>

> As such, skins on the Gemstore very much qualifies as premium _content_.

>

> I honestly don't see why you people are having such issues with this classification? Why does it bother you so?

Why does it bother you that people disagree? But more to the point, it doesn't matter what **you** call it (nor what I call it). The only thing ANet is gating behind RNG is how your mount appears in game. Isn't that exactly the sort of thing we want ANet to charge a premium for? (whereas we never want them to charge extra for gear, stats, or skills, outside the context of expansion-specific restrictions).

So again, to be clear: call it content if you want; that doesn't confront me. Doesn't change that the discussion is about premium skins, not about anything that we actually do in game.

i was expecting mount skins to be released like glider skins. ie 400-700 gems for the skin. however the RNG turned me off of it. It is my oppion this was chosen to feed off the people who have gambling issues, since lootboxes is in the legal grey area.

Please let us just get the skins we want, and stop the trend of anti-consumerism that is plaguing the gaming industry.

I bought them all, I was waiting for a reason to spend cash on this game. All of the skins are well made and I am sorry if Reforged Warhound (<---- i did not buy and will not buy) is at a 2k price tag Flamelander, Storm Ridge, Arctic Jerboa, Primal Hare, Pyroclast, Stardust, Twin Sands, Fire Pinion, Starbound would all have at lest a 1k price tag and thats 9k right there.