Wall bombing with Shades

Lahmia.2193

Since the balance update, whenever you try to bomb a wall with 2-5 shade skills you'll be met with "obstructed" and do no damage or conditions. Was this what the "Fixed a bug that could cause this skill's targets to be lost due to proximity between shades or the casting scourge" update meant? Is this intentional? Or is this a new bug?

yeah thats really scary. i am not able to hit the damn oil on the wall. but oil is on outerside of wall. i should have a LoS to it.

i hope its a bug, because its horrible to see that. completely broken restriction, while ele meteor still hits EVERYTHING on wall.

I think the fix on targeting between shade and scourge caused this. Before the LoS was dependent on the actual shade, where if you didn't have LoS with the shade itself, the skills would not active on the shade. It seems like now the skills check for individual targets relative to the scourge, to prevent overlap, however if something is on or behind a wall now, where normal aoe would hit, it checks LoS based on scourge location and still activates, but fails that check.

This definitely needs an explanation from ANet. Is this intended or is this a bug? When a small pebble or elevation difference can completely negate the shades ability to do anything when elementalists can use meteorshower anywhere they like it is completely inconsistent, either all AoE abilities should need LoS or none

> @Bash.7291 said:

> I think people need to calm down a bit. Its very clearly a bug introduced with how they re-did the targeting to allow for the correct number of targets on shade skills.

It'll likely take 3-4 months (next balance patch) or longer to be addressed. If it does get fixed in one of the weekly updates, I would be very surprised.

> @Aetatis.5418 said:

> this is not a bug imo.

>

> atleast for walls. the wall denial was incredible OP . like even without shades, the area is almost entirely blocked - WITH shades that is even more of a horror.

>

> other situations however... hey look a pebble in the way... now i cant hit anything anymore ^^

You realize that you completely contradicted yourself right? It cant not be a bug in one situation, but be one in another...

> @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > @Bash.7291 said:

> > I think people need to calm down a bit. Its very clearly a bug introduced with how they re-did the targeting to allow for the correct number of targets on shade skills.

>

> It'll likely take 3-4 months (next balance patch) or longer to be addressed. If it does get fixed in one of the weekly updates, I would be very surprised.

Hopefully it doesn't take that long considering its pretty broken as is, but who knows.

> @Bash.7291 said:

> > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > I think people need to calm down a bit. Its very clearly a bug introduced with how they re-did the targeting to allow for the correct number of targets on shade skills.

> >

> > It'll likely take 3-4 months (next balance patch) or longer to be addressed. If it does get fixed in one of the weekly updates, I would be very surprised.

>

> Hopefully it doesn't take that long considering its pretty broken as is, but who knows.

Necros are one of many who have powerful wall bombing skills, but those classes aren't limited by Line of Sight restrictions. If that was the intent from Anet, please stop Mesmers from spamming clones, Eles from casting AoEs (Meteor Shower?), Ranger barrage, Revenant hammer spam, Thief Shortbow attacks, Engineer mortars and grenade AoEs, etc... Why hobble one class when the others are just as broken?

> > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > > I think people need to calm down a bit. Its very clearly a bug introduced with how they re-did the targeting to allow for the correct number of targets on shade skills.

> > >

> > > It'll likely take 3-4 months (next balance patch) or longer to be addressed. If it does get fixed in one of the weekly updates, I would be very surprised.

> >

> > Hopefully it doesn't take that long considering its pretty broken as is, but who knows.

>

> Necros are one of many who have powerful wall bombing skills, but those classes aren't limited by Line of Sight restrictions. If that was the intent from Anet, please stop Mesmers from spamming clones, Eles from casting AoEs (Meteor Shower?), Ranger barrage, Revenant hammer spam, Thief Shortbow attacks, Engineer mortars and grenade AoEs, etc... Why hobble one class when the others are just as broken?

mortar kit takes a lot of practice. you have to aim, stand on the right spot... and even if you jump in the right moment, you will only be able to hit like 50% or less spots a meteor can hit (desert map even worse). if you dont have higher ground, or a little edge in the way, you cant hit anything on the wall.

mesmers need LoS aswell, so do revenants... and tbh - necros shouldnt cry about wall spikes. take a well, marks... torch 5. the shades were just super incredible spam and area of denial. shades are bad in open field fights already, because they are on almost 0 cd and do a lot more dmg than any well.

the nerf is fine and in line with the amount of abilities other classes have (i just blame meteor to be still so strong. but it got nerfed twice already - its in a better shape than some patches ago).

> @Aetatis.5418 said:

> > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > > > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > > > I think people need to calm down a bit. Its very clearly a bug introduced with how they re-did the targeting to allow for the correct number of targets on shade skills.

> > > >

> > > > It'll likely take 3-4 months (next balance patch) or longer to be addressed. If it does get fixed in one of the weekly updates, I would be very surprised.

> > >

> > > Hopefully it doesn't take that long considering its pretty broken as is, but who knows.

> >

> > Necros are one of many who have powerful wall bombing skills, but those classes aren't limited by Line of Sight restrictions. If that was the intent from Anet, please stop Mesmers from spamming clones, Eles from casting AoEs (Meteor Shower?), Ranger barrage, Revenant hammer spam, Thief Shortbow attacks, Engineer mortars and grenade AoEs, etc... Why hobble one class when the others are just as broken?

>

> mortar kit takes a lot of practice. you have to aim, stand on the right spot... and even if you jump in the right moment, you will only be able to hit like 50% or less spots a meteor can hit (desert map even worse). if you dont have higher ground, or a little edge in the way, you cant hit anything on the wall.

> mesmers need LoS aswell, so do revenants... and tbh - necros shouldnt cry about wall spikes. take a well, marks... torch 5. the shades were just super incredible spam and area of denial. shades are bad in open field fights already, because they are on almost 0 cd and do a lot more dmg than any well.

> the nerf is fine and in line with the amount of abilities other classes have (i just blame meteor to be still so strong. but it got nerfed twice already - its in a better shape than some patches ago).

That nerf was applied to PvE as well, which makes it frustrating to use. I get that tower/keep walls should provide some safety. Barring a massive overhaul of mechanics, denying enemies the ability to use skills on the walls is the only option. I feel the Shade LoS dependencies should have been split from WvW/PvP.

> > @Aetatis.5418 said:

> > > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > > > @"Esprit Dumort.3109" said:

> > > > > > @Bash.7291 said:

> > > > > > I think people need to calm down a bit. Its very clearly a bug introduced with how they re-did the targeting to allow for the correct number of targets on shade skills.

> > > > >

> > > > > It'll likely take 3-4 months (next balance patch) or longer to be addressed. If it does get fixed in one of the weekly updates, I would be very surprised.

> > > >

> > > > Hopefully it doesn't take that long considering its pretty broken as is, but who knows.

> > >

> > > Necros are one of many who have powerful wall bombing skills, but those classes aren't limited by Line of Sight restrictions. If that was the intent from Anet, please stop Mesmers from spamming clones, Eles from casting AoEs (Meteor Shower?), Ranger barrage, Revenant hammer spam, Thief Shortbow attacks, Engineer mortars and grenade AoEs, etc... Why hobble one class when the others are just as broken?

> >

> > mortar kit takes a lot of practice. you have to aim, stand on the right spot... and even if you jump in the right moment, you will only be able to hit like 50% or less spots a meteor can hit (desert map even worse). if you dont have higher ground, or a little edge in the way, you cant hit anything on the wall.

> > mesmers need LoS aswell, so do revenants... and tbh - necros shouldnt cry about wall spikes. take a well, marks... torch 5. the shades were just super incredible spam and area of denial. shades are bad in open field fights already, because they are on almost 0 cd and do a lot more dmg than any well.

> > the nerf is fine and in line with the amount of abilities other classes have (i just blame meteor to be still so strong. but it got nerfed twice already - its in a better shape than some patches ago).

>

> That nerf was applied to PvE as well, which makes it frustrating to use. I get that tower/keep walls should provide some safety. Barring a massive overhaul of mechanics, denying enemies the ability to use skills on the walls is the only option. I feel the Shade LoS dependencies should have been split from WvW/PvP.

tbf ... a tree blocking a shade. but not a well or nightfall. ye i get that.

also thieves with swords jumping through walls in pvp... is a bit out of place

> > @Aetatis.5418 said:

> > mortar kit takes a lot of practice. you have to aim, stand on the right spot... and even if you jump in the right moment, you will only be able to hit like 50% or less spots a meteor can hit (desert map even worse). if you dont have higher ground, or a little edge in the way, you cant hit anything on the wall.

> > mesmers need LoS aswell, so do revenants... and tbh - necros shouldnt cry about wall spikes. take a well, marks... torch 5. the shades were just super incredible spam and area of denial. shades are bad in open field fights already, because they are on almost 0 cd and do a lot more dmg than any well.

> > the nerf is fine and in line with the amount of abilities other classes have (i just blame meteor to be still so strong. but it got nerfed twice already - its in a better shape than some patches ago).

>

> That nerf was applied to PvE as well, which makes it frustrating to use. I get that tower/keep walls should provide some safety. Barring a massive overhaul of mechanics, denying enemies the ability to use skills on the walls is the only option. I feel the Shade LoS dependencies should have been split from WvW/PvP.

Lahmia explained so well how shade are (not) working atm but yeah, its for sure a nerf...

F1 is a ground target aoe skill and so should hit all the ppl in the red circle. F5 should also work like all the other pulse field were the caster dont need to care of LoS after the cast (see wells, symbols, lava font, etc...)

btw also a little edge and you see "obstructed"... just check the second image https://en-forum.guildwars2.com/discussion/14483/bug-obstructed-for-necro-shades#latest

Do you want to call it again a nerf?

To add on to this... was doing Snowblind Fractal earlier today and my Shades couldn't hit the first boss, the Ice Elemental, because I kept getting 'Obstructed'... whether from my Shades or from myself... e.g. if I F5, Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed. Obstructed. It looks like a poorly implemented feature that hurts PvE.

today i couldnt hit enemies that stands on a bridge, because of the little bowing of the bridge. every projectile skill or any other aoe would hit this enemies, but shades doesnt??? anet still dont say anything to that. no comment from them. thats simply terrible communication. very poor for such a big company...

> @Zero.3871 said:

> today i couldnt hit enemies that stands on a bridge, because of the little bowing of the bridge. every projectile skill or any other aoe would hit this enemies, but shades doesnt??? anet still dont say anything to that. no comment from them. thats simply terrible communication. very poor for such a big company...

Same goes for necro portal