Spent 37 BL Keys and didn't get Hydra Staff

Draco.9480

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Draco.9480 said:

> So thanks to anet I lost over 500g for nothing. The gambling stuff is so horrible in zis game. How to drain money from people. Good I didn't pay real money cuz it would go to the trashcan for no reason.

So you are displeased about the gambling and that you lost 500g, but yet are disappointed that you cant throw more gold into the dumpster because its finally gone now? You just wouldve lost even more gold.

> @CharterforGw.3149 said:

> and people are complaining about the mount skins, whilst stuff like this has been in the game all along...

> BL chests are way worse than the mount skins

The thing is, with the staff skins there are a lot of alternatives wich can be acquired, while the mounts are almost exclusively to the lootbox except for the molten warhound.

> @Moonlit.6421 said:

> lol some people are blessed by luck and some aren't. It took me 97 keys to get the zaishen helm when it came out, and I was mad at myself for wasting that much money, but after I crossed the $50 mark I couldn't go back, I was to invested lol. But meh I knew the risk so that's on me, gotta be prepared for it.

Wowzers. And people say this game doesn't encourage gambling. Yeah, right.

I agree it is gambling.

Did you understand that there was a chance you wouldn't get what you want? That's the gamble.

I've been getting trash (transformation charges, bank access, merchant access, miniature eggs, etc) from BLCs ever since I started buying keys, but I still buy 25 keys every few months knowing I still get that random awesome item like the Hydra Staff or permanent contract. That's another gamble.

I only wish I could buy past permanent "slot takers", how do you get past seasonal items (ie mini raptor hatchlings)?

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > @Moonlit.6421 said:

> > lol some people are blessed by luck and some aren't. It took me 97 keys to get the zaishen helm when it came out, and I was mad at myself for wasting that much money, but after I crossed the $50 mark I couldn't go back, I was to invested lol. But meh I knew the risk so that's on me, gotta be prepared for it.

>

> Wowzers. And people say this game doesn't encourage gambling. Yeah, right.

Meh like I said I don't blame the game for that. I have crappy luck in every game I play and I didn't NEED the helm and I ended up only using it on one character. Would I do it again? Nope lol. But in the end it was my fault for not imposing a limit and testing my luck again. X3

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> I only wish I could buy past permanent "slot takers", how do you get past seasonal items (ie mini raptor hatchlings)?

You just have to wait until they cycle out. That's what I did with my last few BL Chests that dropped. I didn't want another mini raptor hatching nor any more trick-or-treat bags that came after the mini raptor. The chests' items don't appear to be locked to the time you acquire them, only to the time you open them, if you know what I mean.

> @Draco.9480 said:

> So thanks to anet I lost over 500g for nothing. The gambling stuff is so horrible in zis game. How to drain money from people. Good I didn't pay real money cuz it would go to the trashcan for no reason.

I just love sob story posts like this...

Moral of this is if you cant handle not winning, don't whine about it, just don't gamble in the first place - simples.!

Lesson learned... nuff said :)

> @Draco.9480 said:

I'm not sure why you expected to get the Hydra Staff. It's a low-chance drop, just like over a dozen other such unlocks over the last year. I am hopeful that ANet will add something similar to the [black Lion Exclusives Chest](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Black_Lion_Exclusives_Chest), which contains the nine bound unlocks from the early BL chest 'seasons'. The BLEC can be traded on the TP and offers a choice of the Elemental Sword, the Mini Celestial Rooster, Candelabra Staff, and other coveted items. Current price is 400-560 gold for a guaranteed choice of rewards; that's potentially less than what the OP spent on keys that offered only a chance at the preferred drop.

Open BL chests if you find that entertaining, but don't do so expecting anything good and certainly don't expect anything specific.

That's a lotta money for nothing, if you spend real money on it.

This is a thing about **Lootbox gambling** – and to be honest it IS gambling – it's **intransparent and 'the drop-rate to money-spend' rate isn't worth anything** what's coming outta the rear end of a skritts butt (sorry, needed to steal the last one from another forum member I can't re-member)!

I wish I could give my Hydra staff to the OP, or any of the other people who want it and didn't get it. Same with the Balthazar outfit. In theory I got very lucky getting those two with just a few keys (I refuse to buy them with gold or real money, so it was just ones I could get free, about 8 in total). Problem is the only item I wanted was the Spooky Mount Minis pack. So even though I technically "won" I still feel like I lost.

It's incredibly frustrating to have these two items I'll never use stuck on my account when I know other people would love to have them. I wish I could sell them, or even give them away.

But that's why gambling is a bad idea. The chances of getting what you want are always, always going to be very low because that's what makes them profitable. No sane person would spent the equivalent of 30, or 60 or 90 keys on a direct sale, but if you can be convinced you might just get it on the next try you'll keep on trying, and paying, just in case you do get lucky.

> @Draco.9480 said:

"Thanks to anet you lost over 500g." Did they threaten you with suspension if you did not use 500g to buy keys?

You have yourself to thank and no one else. Everyone knows what you get out of BL Chests is random and things like the Hydra Staff rarely drop. Don't blame others because you took a chance on RNG and didn't get what you wanted.

> @Matick.4132 said:

> That's a lotta money for nothing, if you spend real money on it.

>

> This is a thing about **Lootbox gambling** – and to be honest it IS gambling – it's **intransparent and 'the drop-rate to money-spend' rate isn't worth anything** what's coming outta the rear end of a skritts butt (sorry, needed to steal the last one from another forum member I can't re-member)!

The BL chests drop rates are not opaque. It's long since been established that these containers drop Junk. They aren't intended to have a good cost:content ratio; they are intended as a lottery. Like any lotto in history, that means that on average, they return a lot less than their cost. Since that average includes the super jackpots, it means that for most of us, the likely return for less than 100 chests is going to be far, far less than the cost.

This isn't news.

It literally means that one shouldn't _invest_ in them at all, except as entertainment. The cost pays for that one moment, right before opening, when one can dream a little dream of a permanent contract or home instance node. In practice, the vast majority of us are going to see junk and more junk, some of which are interesting consolation prizes for some of us.

There's pros & cons for using something like this to raise money. Choosing to do so puts ANet in good company with Churches and Schools (public & private), Symphony Orchestras, Bowling Alleys, and the occasional neighborhood bar looking at a balloon payment. There's also plenty to criticize about the practice, but let's make sure we compare apples to apples.

BL chests are lotteries. They drop junk for most people, under nearly all circumstances. They are meant as entertainment in and of themselves; they have never been a good method to acquire stuff, not even account bound unlocks.

> @Draco.9480 said:

> > @"rank eleven monk.9502" said:

> > > @Draco.9480 said:

> > > So thanks to anet I lost over 500g for nothing. The gambling stuff is so horrible in zis game. How to drain money from people. Good I didn't pay real money cuz it would go to the trashcan for no reason.

> > In this case I will assume you are not trolling, so:

> > You lost over 500g thanks to yourself. You bet, you lost. Your money, your choice. Don't gamble, you won't lose.

>

> I want that Hydra Staff badly. some friends got it on 1st and 2nd try. How am I any worse? Why can't I get it like 'em? Why to give it to lucky people and not me? Am I less of a player?

If you didn't understand how BLC work, you should have read up on them before you spent that much gold. I wouldn't spend so much gold on something without understanding how it worked. If you did understand, then you paid your gold and took your chances.

I will never open BLC thinking I'm going to get what I want from them. If I get a free key, I wait until the preview has stuff I like, then I open a chest knowing I probably won't get what I want but maybe I'll get something else I either like or can sell.

Remember: gambling is rigged toward the house winning. With BLC, the house winning = you not getting what you want so you will spend more gold on BLK. There is a chance that you can get an item quickly which only makes people think that they could be that person (like you say). But the reality is the deck is stacked against you getting it easily.

"_A regular lockbox/lootbox of the MMORPG variety treats players – you – like a mark. Like a wallet. Like an idiot with neither self-control nor economic acumen. Most of the time, you will spend your money and walk away with the digital equivalent of scrap paper. Buffs. A minipet everyone already has five copies of. Junk. Not only did you not get what you wanted to buy, you got nothing useful at all. You got the random crap that studios dole out to buffer them from the gambling complaints they very much deserve._"

That quote came from [this](http://massivelyop.com/2017/11/08/working-as-intended-guild-wars-2s-new-mount-licenses-are-still-lockboxes-but-theyre-not-the-worst-lockboxes/ "this ") article.

Well I spent 50 dollars on keys, personally. I really want Scythe Staff, didn't think I would get it, I didn't.

I did get every single uncommon drop, the Hydra Staff, Baltazaar outfit, Phantom Glider, Jackal Pup backpack, ECT. I also got a few home instance nodes, (the orichulum, and ghost pepper) the Dead Stop Shield, and some other rare skins.

I did not get "Scythe Staff", so all in all, I lost, life goes on.

I would say however, I wish the stuff could be sold. I will never use any of that stuff. So I got the staff, I got the costume, ECT, and it will never be used. Sucks.

> @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

>

> > I only wish I could buy past permanent "slot takers", how do you get past seasonal items (ie mini raptor hatchlings)?

>

> You just have to wait until they cycle out. That's what I did with my last few BL Chests that dropped. I didn't want another mini raptor hatching nor any more trick-or-treat bags that came after the mini raptor. The chests' items don't appear to be locked to the time you acquire them, only to the time you open them, if you know what I mean.

>

>

Sorry, What I meant was: I want MORE hatchlings to combine them to get the fire or ice hatchling.

Not that I wanted to wait them out because I didn't want any more of them.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> > @"Witch of Doom.5739" said:

> > > @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> >

> > > I only wish I could buy past permanent "slot takers", how do you get past seasonal items (ie mini raptor hatchlings)?

> >

> > You just have to wait until they cycle out. That's what I did with my last few BL Chests that dropped. I didn't want another mini raptor hatching nor any more trick-or-treat bags that came after the mini raptor. The chests' items don't appear to be locked to the time you acquire them, only to the time you open them, if you know what I mean.

> >

> >

>

> Sorry, What I meant was: I want MORE hatchlings to combine them to get the fire or ice hatchling.

> Not that I wanted to wait them out because I didn't want any more of them.

Oh, I'm sorry; I read it as "get past" being the verb, so to speak. As in, how do you skip over them. Duh, me! Anyhoo, I think if the previous seasonal items are no longer shown in the BL Chest previews, the only way to get them is to buy them on the TP. Good luck!

> @Djinn.9245 said:

> > @Draco.9480 said:

> > > @"rank eleven monk.9502" said:

> > > > @Draco.9480 said:

> > > > So thanks to anet I lost over 500g for nothing. The gambling stuff is so horrible in zis game. How to drain money from people. Good I didn't pay real money cuz it would go to the trashcan for no reason.

> > > In this case I will assume you are not trolling, so:

> > > You lost over 500g thanks to yourself. You bet, you lost. Your money, your choice. Don't gamble, you won't lose.

> >

> > I want that Hydra Staff badly. some friends got it on 1st and 2nd try. How am I any worse? Why can't I get it like 'em? Why to give it to lucky people and not me? Am I less of a player?

>

> If you didn't understand how BLC work, you should have read up on them before you spent that much gold. I wouldn't spend so much gold on something without understanding how it worked. If you did understand, then you paid your gold and took your chances.

>

> I will never open BLC thinking I'm going to get what I want from them. If I get a free key, I wait until the preview has stuff I like, then I open a chest knowing I probably won't get what I want but maybe I'll get something else I either like or can sell.

>

> Remember: gambling is rigged toward the house winning. With BLC, the house winning = you not getting what you want so you will spend more gold on BLK. There is a chance that you can get an item quickly which only makes people think that they could be that person (like you say). But the reality is the deck is stacked against you getting it easily.

that's some smartass comment. I was aware it was a gamble. I bought the keys and used 'em during the hydra staff. spent like 37 keys, got other useless shit. then i was broke. I farmed some gold back. but when I was about to buy I previewed it again to make sure I won't spend more gold and there was no more hydra staff cuz halloween passed. that's why I asked if there's other way to get it. but i'll wait for exclusive chest.