A Message About the Mount Adoption License

> @TexZero.7910 said:

> > @pallas.8150 said:

> > I can see where people might be disappointed with the outcome but seriously... THIS DOES NOT IMPACT YOUR GAME PLAY IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM. Some of the comments on here are coming from grown *** adults. I'm floored.

> >

> > And to those who are screaming and crying about quitting over this... you won't.

>

> Ironically it does impact gameplay.

>

> We have 0 longterm goals in the game to work for when it comes to the cosmetic aspects of both gliders and mounts. The company could stand to evaluate that and add them to normal gameplay as rewards and you see a lot less complaints about a lack of content/replayability. Same thing can be said for armor/armor sets. Frankly, its sickening to see that this is what the industry has become, what was once a passion project has been turned into a corporate grab happy milking machine.

I think if O'Brien had said they'll be adding some mounts to be obtainable in-game in a coming update, it would've mitigated the disappointment some. At least then it would've looked like they were offering the playerbase something rather than acknowledging the backlash and sort of shrugging in PR speak.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't be buying any of the skins, entirely because it's random. It's one thing to get random treasure in game, it's entirely another to be asked to pay for random items.

Paying with real money, a real commitment to supporting the game, should not be rewarded with "you have a 1 in 30 chance of getting what you are paying for".

Won't stop me from playing and enjoying the game, but it guarantees I won't spend any of my money on any of the skins.

And this is why we can't have nice things. The Adoption Licenses could have been one of the greatest additions to the game - when they first came out, I was ecstatic to see that the game now had over 30 new mount skins for a variety of tastes, and based on the core mounts (With the Gem Store blatantly advertising an amazingly hilariously over-the-top, but fun Jackal reskin) - Being a Skritt-brained whale, I bought a bunch because I wanted a bunch (And wanted to be surprised by what I got, then take those and find a way to make them work with my characters). I also bought a few as gifts for friends. The joy of opening one and getting a fun random mount is amazing to someone who doesn't think about what the options actually are nor how much they're spending (Such as Skritt-brained whales like me, and friends who receive them as a surprise for free)

I really wish others were able to get that joy from opening them, and seeing people run around in-game with an assorted menagerie of these new lore-friendly (With the few shiny exceptions to appeal to skritt players), fully-dyeable mounts. The game's artistic community is amazing, and I feel that everyone should have had access to at least this base level of customization.

It's saddening to know that we're not going to get any more of these, and it feels that, like the "Armors in-game, not the gem store" means we're not going to be getting any real mount skins again outside of the flamboyant single-purchase or themed sets. The real problem, I feel, is that these mount loot boxes aren't available to be earned in-game, though, providing this game a much-needed base corral of mount skins for players to collect through normal gameplay, with the Gem Store being dedicated to themed packages (Seasonal and crazy) and outrageously awesome skins like the Reforged Warhound.

As it is... it really, really feels like you have absolutely no respect for those who've purchased the game itself, giving such players just the barest functional minimum, and it's a real shame that the monetization of the game has gotten so cancerous. You stole the dye channels from the base mounts to sell back to us, and instead of giving us mount skins that would be fun to collect (And put Guild Wars 2 on at least a "We Tried!" level of in-game mount collecting seen in absolutely any other MMO out there), put them all behind the damn gem store.

> @Necrotic.7820 said:

> I think a reset would be the best way of handling this, as others have said: Refund all gems spent on the Adoption licenses and disable all skins acquired from them. Although I suspect that last part is what would be difficult.

Fuck that. I like my new mount skins. I bought them all because I wanted them all.

> @Sartharina.3542 said:

> And this is why we can't have nice things. The Adoption Licenses could have been one of the greatest additions to the game - when they first came out, I was ecstatic to see that the game now had over 30 new mount skins for a variety of tastes, and based on the core mounts (With the Gem Store blatantly advertising an amazingly hilariously over-the-top, but fun Jackal reskin) - Being a Skritt-brained whale, I bought a bunch because I wanted a bunch (And wanted to be surprised by what I got, then take those and find a way to make them work with my characters). I also bought a few as gifts for friends. The joy of opening one and getting a fun random mount is amazing to someone who doesn't think about what the options actually are nor how much they're spending (Such as Skritt-brained whales like me, and friends who receive them as a surprise for free)

>

> I really wish others were able to get that joy from opening them, and seeing people run around in-game with an assorted menagerie of these new lore-friendly (With the few shiny exceptions to appeal to skritt players), fully-dyeable mounts. The game's artistic community is amazing, and I feel that everyone should have had access to at least this base level of customization.

>

> It's saddening to know that we're not going to get any more of these, and it feels that, like the "Armors in-game, not the gem store" means we're not going to be getting any real mount skins again outside of the flamboyant single-purchase or themed sets. The real problem, I feel, is that these mount loot boxes aren't available to be earned in-game, though, providing this game a much-needed base corral of mount skins for players to collect through normal gameplay, with the Gem Store being dedicated to themed packages (Seasonal and crazy) and outrageously awesome skins like the Reforged Warhound.

>

> As it is... it really, really feels like you have absolutely no respect for those who've purchased the game itself, giving such players just the barest functional minimum, and it's a real shame that the monetization of the game has gotten so cancerous.

Alot of these mounts could EASILY be added in the game as rewards for maps etc.

I really understand the point of many people here and share their concerns, regarding the lack of ingame rewards through the cash shop, the rng element and the prices in the gemstore.

But when I read the comments here half of people are now outraged about the fact that they want at least one of the skins but can't afford it. I see pure disappointment. Not because Anet didn't admit any failure, not because they didn't promise to make things better in the future. They made all that sh*itstorm and got nothing from it. They behave like little kids that didn't get what they want. They want a mount skin for 400 gems instantly and now they got of course nothing.

It's like I thought from the beginning. Half of the outrage about this came from people not able/willing to buy the mount skins and not because people were so upset because of the way how Anet structured this sale (let's face it, the rng element was long before this in the cash shop and in the game itself). It all felt a bit out of proportion because so many thought they could get a cheap mount if they would just generate enough outrage.

The sad thing behind it is, that the true message got somewhat lost. Mounts should be a way to keep people playing. They should be rewards for quests and dungeons, raids, achievements, whatever. They would keep people interested, give them a goal, a reason to do something and ultimately a reason to invest in the game.

I personally don't need more things to buy in this game. I need more things to do. I want to see meaningful, replayable content added to the game, with rewards that feel like rewards. Mounts would've been absolute the perfect reward for new content. And then, when you keep me busy playing the game, when I have these new goals for myself, then I might look again in the shop and buy new stuff.

Otherwise, what's the point in buying a mount right now? I have no ingame goals atm because almost every meaningful reward is right there in the cashshop and it's hard to motivate myself to farm gold to convert it into gems, when I know that I can just work one hour longer irl and just buy what I want. It's almost laughable when I sell something in the TP for 1gold. How many gems do I get for that? 3Gems? 4Cent?

So what happens to the spare adoption licenses? I felt that the price per skin with the licenses was a great deal, with good variety and bought them all plus a spare for the next release of license skins. It's account bound so it's not like I can gift or sell it. The licenses are pretty achievable to get with gold too...so I'm sad more won't be added to the pool of mounts used for this...though it seems I'm in the minority with that opinion.

> @Zephyria.6103 said:

> So what happens to the spare adoption licenses? I felt that the price per skin with the licenses was a great deal, with good variety and bought them all plus a spare for the next release of license skins. It's account bound so it's not like I can gift or sell it. The licenses are pretty achievable to get with gold too...so I'm sad more won't be added to the pool of mounts used for this...though it seems I'm in the minority with that opinion.

It would have been great if the pool expanded with the LS releases, and the licenses were obtainable in-game.. But no, "Gem Store first, people playing the game can go fuck themselves."

> @Adenin.5973 said:

> I really understand the point of many people here and share their concerns, regarding the lack of ingame rewards through the cash shop, the rng element and the prices in the gemstore.

>

> But when I read the comments here half of people are now outraged about the fact that they want at least one of the skins but can't afford it. I see pure disappointment. Not because Anet didn't admit any failure, not because they didn't promise to make things better in the future. They made all that sh*itstorm and got nothing from it. They behave like little kids that didn't get what they want. They want a mount skin for 400 gems instantly and now they got of course nothing.

>

> It's like I thought from the beginning. Half of the outrage about this came from people not able/willing to buy the mount skins and not because people were so upset because of the way how Anet structured this sale (let's face it, the rng element was long before this in the cash shop and in the game itself). It all felt a bit out of proportion because so many thought they could get a cheap mount if they would just generate enough outrage.

>

> The sad thing behind it is, that the true message got somewhat lost. Mounts should be a way to keep people playing. They should be rewards for quests and dungeons, raids, achievements, whatever. They would keep people interested, give them a goal, a reason to do something and ultimately a reason to invest in the game.

>

> I personally don't need more things to buy in this game. I need more things to do. I want to see meaningful, replayable content added to the game, with rewards that feel like rewards. Mounts would've been absolute the perfect reward for new content. And then, when you keep me busy playing the game, when I have these new goals for myself, then I might look again in the shop and buy new stuff.

>

> Otherwise, what's the point in buying a mount right now? I have no ingame goals atm because almost every meaningful reward is right there in the cashshop and it's hard to motivate myself to farm gold to convert it into gems, when I know that I can just work one hour longer irl and just buy what I want. It's almost laughable when I sell something in the TP for 1gold. How many gems do I get for that? 3Gems? 4Cent?

You have completely missed it here bud... its not that they want a free mount skin... they just want to pay for the skin they want to pick not get some random skin they don't want for $5, and then have to pay another $5 for a 1 in 29 chance of getting it.. No one here is asking for a free mount skin. I do agree however that these skins (at least the basic recolored ones) should have at least been obtainable in game as PoF content.

thank you for responding. i know how difficult it would be to concisely address everyone's individual concerns while still maintaining a level of distance from your consumers, so i'm ok with this.

however, i do think it would be a good idea to make some minor tweaks to the existing licenses regardless to prevent them from causing any more trouble?

Yeah don't get it twisted. I, and many others, are not asking for free skins. We actually are asking anet to sell us their goods without a gambling factor and some of us, myself included, are willing to pay higher than 400 gems to do so. We ARE asking them to let us give them our money with a minor stipulation that up until this week has been a rather normal business procedure.

> @Lambent.6375 said:

> Why would some people think they were going to change the current 30 pack skin system? The best option is that they will be avoiding rng mounts in the future.

>

> If they changed the current one they would suddenly have to deal with a lot of people that made $50-$100+ purchases.

We understand that, but there have been half a dozen or more options layed out to them that would allow them to retain the money spent, give the players the mounts they want and not suffer an ymore bad PR.....

> @JaddynnStarr.5201 said:

> > @Adenin.5973 said:

> > I really understand the point of many people here and share their concerns, regarding the lack of ingame rewards through the cash shop, the rng element and the prices in the gemstore.

> >

> > But when I read the comments here half of people are now outraged about the fact that they want at least one of the skins but can't afford it. I see pure disappointment. Not because Anet didn't admit any failure, not because they didn't promise to make things better in the future. They made all that sh*itstorm and got nothing from it. They behave like little kids that didn't get what they want. They want a mount skin for 400 gems instantly and now they got of course nothing.

> >

> > It's like I thought from the beginning. Half of the outrage about this came from people not able/willing to buy the mount skins and not because people were so upset because of the way how Anet structured this sale (let's face it, the rng element was long before this in the cash shop and in the game itself). It all felt a bit out of proportion because so many thought they could get a cheap mount if they would just generate enough outrage.

> >

> > The sad thing behind it is, that the true message got somewhat lost. Mounts should be a way to keep people playing. They should be rewards for quests and dungeons, raids, achievements, whatever. They would keep people interested, give them a goal, a reason to do something and ultimately a reason to invest in the game.

> >

> > I personally don't need more things to buy in this game. I need more things to do. I want to see meaningful, replayable content added to the game, with rewards that feel like rewards. Mounts would've been absolute the perfect reward for new content. And then, when you keep me busy playing the game, when I have these new goals for myself, then I might look again in the shop and buy new stuff.

> >

> > Otherwise, what's the point in buying a mount right now? I have no ingame goals atm because almost every meaningful reward is right there in the cashshop and it's hard to motivate myself to farm gold to convert it into gems, when I know that I can just work one hour longer irl and just buy what I want. It's almost laughable when I sell something in the TP for 1gold. How many gems do I get for that? 3Gems? 4Cent?

>

> You have completely missed it here bud... its not that they want a free mount skin... they just want to pay for the skin they want to pick not get some random skin they don't want for $5, and then have to pay another $5 for a 1 in 29 chance of getting it.. No one here is asking for a free mount skin. I do agree however that these skins (at least the basic recolored ones) should have at least been obtainable in game as PoF content.

Have we read the same comments? People are already complaining that they will never pay 800+ gems for a mount skin. That they don't want to see any new 2000 gems skins. For them it's not about the rng model. They complain about not getting a mount right now for 400 gems. Oh, I believe that Anet has no problem at all selling us mounts individual for 1.200 -2.000 gems in the future. And the very same people that complained here in the forums, hiding behind the "it's all lootboxes again!" theme, will still complain. It's about pricing in general, it's about the cash shop as the main reward mechanic in the game. That's the main issue this game has. No meaningful rewards that you can go after in the game, other than ridiculous expensive legendaries.

And hey, I get it. But if you package your problem with the game in such a sh*tstorm the only thing we get now are "no rng bundles" and "individual sales". Anet now truly believes the only problem people have is the rng mechanic. Congrats!

> @Adenin.5973 said:

> > @JaddynnStarr.5201 said:

> > > @Adenin.5973 said:

> > > I really understand the point of many people here and share their concerns, regarding the lack of ingame rewards through the cash shop, the rng element and the prices in the gemstore.

> > >

> > > But when I read the comments here half of people are now outraged about the fact that they want at least one of the skins but can't afford it. I see pure disappointment. Not because Anet didn't admit any failure, not because they didn't promise to make things better in the future. They made all that sh*itstorm and got nothing from it. They behave like little kids that didn't get what they want. They want a mount skin for 400 gems instantly and now they got of course nothing.

> > >

> > > It's like I thought from the beginning. Half of the outrage about this came from people not able/willing to buy the mount skins and not because people were so upset because of the way how Anet structured this sale (let's face it, the rng element was long before this in the cash shop and in the game itself). It all felt a bit out of proportion because so many thought they could get a cheap mount if they would just generate enough outrage.

> > >

> > > The sad thing behind it is, that the true message got somewhat lost. Mounts should be a way to keep people playing. They should be rewards for quests and dungeons, raids, achievements, whatever. They would keep people interested, give them a goal, a reason to do something and ultimately a reason to invest in the game.

> > >

> > > I personally don't need more things to buy in this game. I need more things to do. I want to see meaningful, replayable content added to the game, with rewards that feel like rewards. Mounts would've been absolute the perfect reward for new content. And then, when you keep me busy playing the game, when I have these new goals for myself, then I might look again in the shop and buy new stuff.

> > >

> > > Otherwise, what's the point in buying a mount right now? I have no ingame goals atm because almost every meaningful reward is right there in the cashshop and it's hard to motivate myself to farm gold to convert it into gems, when I know that I can just work one hour longer irl and just buy what I want. It's almost laughable when I sell something in the TP for 1gold. How many gems do I get for that? 3Gems? 4Cent?

> >

> > You have completely missed it here bud... its not that they want a free mount skin... they just want to pay for the skin they want to pick not get some random skin they don't want for $5, and then have to pay another $5 for a 1 in 29 chance of getting it.. No one here is asking for a free mount skin. I do agree however that these skins (at least the basic recolored ones) should have at least been obtainable in game as PoF content.

>

> Have we read the same comments? People are already complaining that they will never pay 800+ gems for a mount skin. That they don't want to see any new 2000 gems skins. For them it's not about the rng model. They complain about not getting a mount right now for 400 gems. Oh, I believe that Anet has no problem at all selling us mounts individual for 1.200 -2.000 gems in the future. And the very same people that complained here in the forums, hiding behind the "it's all lootboxes again!" theme, will still complain. It's about pricing in general, it's about the cash shop as the main reward mechanic in the game. That's the main issue this game has. No meaningful rewards that you can go after in the game, other than ridiculous expensive legendaries.

>

> And hey, I get it. But if you package your problem with the game in such a sh*tstorm the only thing we get now are "no rng bundles" and "individual sales". Anet now truly believes the only problem people have is the rng mechanic. Congrats!

We have my friend, we are just looking at it thru a different colored lens is all. I agree with you that we need more ingame rewards and that the focus is more on the cash shop then the game. I too wont pay 2k gems for a mount.... its absurd to think you should pay 2/3 to 3/4 the cost of an entire expansion for a single skin. sure you are going to have the dregs out there wanting things free and cheap as possible, but that does not speak for the community as a whole. Most of us are fine with 400-600 for a single skin.... we just want to be able to choose the skin we pay for, not be randomly assigned one for a mount we may not even own yet, or like.

Thank you for the response. One must wonder what one of those skins would cost individually if the lootbox is offered at a "substantial discount". As a number of folks have stated, no one really had a bone to pick on glider skins - sold individually, number of options offered, fair price and within a good release window - so why the change here? It would still be nice to have the skins tradeable, like other Gem store lootboxes. Perhaps next time. Well, time to go back to the game.

2k gems for a single mount skin on an expansion that offers virtually no mount skins through game play is what will drive people off your game.

$25 mount skins when your expansion is priced at $30 is just unacceptable, and the gamble skins don't make that any better.

People would be a lot more willing to gamble for skins if they could choose boxes for each individual mount type.

I'm impressed that we got such a detailed response in such a short time. Kudos to Mike/Anet.

However, this doesn't address the fact that the skins are not tradable on the TP. The skins not being tradable means that the ONLY way to get the particular skin you want is to keep buying licenses. Meanwhile being forced to keep the skins you didn't want instead of being able to get some kind of value for your purchase.

Skins that aren't tradable have been increasing in GW2 in general. One specific example is the Hydra Staff which someone recently mentioned on the forums. He kept buying BLK trying to get the staff which is also not tradable.

This type of switch in store items seems to be designed purposefully so if players want specific skins, they are forced to purchase gamble items until they get the skin, rather than a player like me opening a BLC, getting the Hydra Staff which I don't want, and being able to sell it on the TP. This would be a win for me (gold return for my key purchase) and a win for the person who wants the skin but either doesn't have the money/gold or doesn't have the luck to get the skin in a reasonable number of tries.

This type of market manipulation may be fairly common in *a certain kind* of MMO, but is very disappointing to see increasing in my current favorite MMO.

> @JaddynnStarr.5201 said:

> > @Lambent.6375 said:

> > Why would some people think they were going to change the current 30 pack skin system? The best option is that they will be avoiding rng mounts in the future.

> >

> > If they changed the current one they would suddenly have to deal with a lot of people that made $50-$100+ purchases.

>

> We understand that, but there have been half a dozen or more options layed out to them that would allow them to retain the money spent, give the players the mounts they want and not suffer an ymore bad PR.....

Why is there going to be any more bad RP because of this?

If you keep asking people to spend more more money to get that one thing they want, it's going to start making them second guess it more and more. They're going to decide to spend that money to just buy another game. Then not only will you be losing out on the gem store purchases, but also the population of your game.