[Poll] Which mesmer's MH weapon do you think needs the most buffs/updates/redesigns in PvE?

bart.3687

> @Coulter.2315 said:

> Scepter is the weapon I cannot find a use for atm, it lacks AoE or high enough single target to pick over other weapons. Everything else I can find a use for and enjoy using, scepter feels bad and is never the best choice in slot.

Play mirage, get that trait which generates clone with deception skills, and slot the deception heal, crystal sands and jaunt.

Then pair scepter with the axe and you'll have tons of confusion and torment stacks, and near constant supply of clones to shatter. If every clone generation skills are on cooldown, scepter auto attack generates one, then you can quickly shell out 2 more by healing yourself, using crystal sands or jaunt then shatter them or us an ambush skill which they will all do with you (with a proper trait).

Scepter is fine really, its ambush really hurts, scepter 3 stacks a lot of damage and confusion and it generates clones. It's a great weapon to pair with the axe if a bit underwhelming in flashy effects. It doesn't have AOE, ture, but not many Mesmer weapons do. Most of the mesmer's AOE comes from shatters.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

> @Carighan.6758 said:

> I feel the biggest problem with our weapons - or weapons in general in GW2 - is often a lack of focus and expected use.

>

> For example for us, Sword and Greatsword are supposed to be the power weapons, Axe and Scepter the condi ones, leaving Staff as a defensive weapon.

>

> Fair enough. But, for purpose of simplistic and pure design I'd want these declarations to exist cross-class. Staff = defensive, for example. If you see someone wielding a staff, you should know they'll be harder to kill while wielding it, lots of defensive effects, even the AA-chain should reinforce this. Sword = gap closer, as another example. Every class wielding sword should have 1-2 gap-closing effects on it and they should definitely define the weapon.

>

> The problem is that this isn't really reflected all that well on many weapons, and as a result it is difficult to even figure out what'd need a buff or not.

Please no. This would do nothing but homogenize the classes even more. As it is right now, having each class use weapons in wildly different ways provides a lot of flavor to the game. Staff on mesmer is defensive, on DD its an up close and personal DPS weapon, on druid its a healing/support weapon, on ele its a longrange weapon with fucktons of functionality etc... Don't take away unique identities like this. Otherwise you wouldn't be in a situation where mesmer could have a ranged GS option, because that wouldn't be the same as all of the other classes that use it in a melee range.

Hard to pick one since we are already short on MH weapons to begin with.

Scepter used to be in a bad spot for a long time, but after oh so many buffs is actually usable now.

Have to go with staff even though I like its design and skillset. I really dislike it's hybrid design in the current game. When 99% of the builds are either power or condi, having a weapon which works off both is kind of meh. Also it's slow firing projectiles and phantasms make it boring to use imo.

Greatsword comes to mind as far as power builds go for pve. It's not really part of the power meta since it's terrible in pve melee range, but it works for power builds.

Basically I'd love for them to rework staff as condi 2hand weapon without power scaling.

The main issue though are not the available weapons but lack lack of mainhand weapons to begin with. We are essentially short 1 mainhan 1hand weapon leaving us with a predictable skillset for power and condi builds.

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > @Coulter.2315 said:

> > Scepter is the weapon I cannot find a use for atm, it lacks AoE or high enough single target to pick over other weapons. Everything else I can find a use for and enjoy using, scepter feels bad and is never the best choice in slot.

>

> Play mirage, get that trait which generates clone with deception skills, and slot the deception heal, crystal sands and jaunt.

> Then pair scepter with the axe and you'll have tons of confusion and torment stacks, and near constant supply of clones to shatter. If every clone generation skills are on cooldown, scepter auto attack generates one, then you can quickly shell out 2 more by healing yourself, using crystal sands or jaunt then shatter them or us an ambush skill which they will all do with you (with a proper trait).

>

> Scepter is fine really, its ambush really hurts, scepter 3 stacks a lot of damage and confusion and it generates clones. It's a great weapon to pair with the axe if a bit underwhelming in flashy effects. It doesn't have AOE, ture, but not many Mesmer weapons do. Most of the mesmer's AOE comes from shatters.

That is a build with Scepter but it is inferior to just Axe. My point is it is inferior to the other choices in every way (AoE and single target), so why would I use it?

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > @Coulter.2315 said:

> > Scepter is the weapon I cannot find a use for atm, it lacks AoE or high enough single target to pick over other weapons. Everything else I can find a use for and enjoy using, scepter feels bad and is never the best choice in slot.

>

> Play mirage, get that trait which generates clone with deception skills, and slot the deception heal, crystal sands and jaunt.

> Then pair scepter with the axe and you'll have tons of confusion and torment stacks, and near constant supply of clones to shatter. If every clone generation skills are on cooldown, scepter auto attack generates one, then you can quickly shell out 2 more by healing yourself, using crystal sands or jaunt then shatter them or us an ambush skill which they will all do with you (with a proper trait).

>

> Scepter is fine really, its ambush really hurts, scepter 3 stacks a lot of damage and confusion and it generates clones. It's a great weapon to pair with the axe if a bit underwhelming in flashy effects. It doesn't have AOE, ture, but not many Mesmer weapons do. Most of the mesmer's AOE comes from shatters.

Actually, every other mesmer's MH weapon has some kind of AoE (Staff - Chaos Storm + bouncing projectiles, GS - Mirror Blade + Mind Stab + iBerserker, Sword - cleaving AA + BF, Axe - cleaving AA + Lingering Thoughts). Scepter has Confusing Images, but its aoe is so "good" that they could actually remove it from the skill and no one would notice any difference, lol.

If you ocassionally swap to scepter to stack some confusion on a single target with Confusing Images and ambush, then yeah, I guess it's fine then. The weapon sucks though if you want to use it as your primary weapon in PvE.

The AA is bad, doesn't stack conditions reliably on top of looking and sounding awful. The only plus is that it creates a clone on its 3rd chain.

Skill 2 would be lovely if it was more reliable. One-instance-block-triggers are annoying in pve.

Skill 3 is the only good one.

Ambush applies some condis, but is single target, long channeling, projectile based, with poor power damage. Basically _much_ worse Confusing Images.

More downsides:

-Scepter feels really slow, forcing you to take Malicious Sorcery if you plan on using it as your primary weap.

-It's inferior to axe in every way but range.

-It has no AoE.

I'm well aware that scepter recived a lot of buffs in the past, but let's be honest: they were just fixes to its originally poor design, and without them the scepter would not exist anymore. I **love** Scepter, been using it on my mes since like forever, it's my favourite weapon type and my only legendary weap, and I really want to have fun with it. Please :confused:

About other weapons in PvE:

1) Staff - I agree with anyone saying that staff needs loads of buffs. AA needs to be faster and always apply a damaging condition. iWarlock should inflict conditions. Chaos Armor (skill) needs a redesign, so boring.

2) GS - its AA should always deal the same, high dmg no matter how far you are from the target. Mind Stab needs major buffs or a redesign. Illusionary Wave is meh.

3) MH Sword - its dmg is okay, I guess. The aftercast on aa chain 3 is kinda annoying. You should be able to move during Blurred Frenzy imo. Illusionary Leap/Swap is clunky and underwhelming. Sword needs more elegant animations.

4) Axe - it's in a pretty good spot. The most fun weapon mesmer has access to, imo. The only things I'd like to see is Lingering Thoughts' 1/4 sec between casts CD removed and the ambush bug (?) fixed.

> @bart.3687 said:

> > @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > > @Coulter.2315 said:

> > > Scepter is the weapon I cannot find a use for atm, it lacks AoE or high enough single target to pick over other weapons. Everything else I can find a use for and enjoy using, scepter feels bad and is never the best choice in slot.

> >

> > Play mirage, get that trait which generates clone with deception skills, and slot the deception heal, crystal sands and jaunt.

> > Then pair scepter with the axe and you'll have tons of confusion and torment stacks, and near constant supply of clones to shatter. If every clone generation skills are on cooldown, scepter auto attack generates one, then you can quickly shell out 2 more by healing yourself, using crystal sands or jaunt then shatter them or us an ambush skill which they will all do with you (with a proper trait).

> >

> > Scepter is fine really, its ambush really hurts, scepter 3 stacks a lot of damage and confusion and it generates clones. It's a great weapon to pair with the axe if a bit underwhelming in flashy effects. It doesn't have AOE, ture, but not many Mesmer weapons do. Most of the mesmer's AOE comes from shatters.

>

> Actually, every other mesmer's MH weapon has some kind of AoE (Staff - Chaos Storm + bouncing projectiles, GS - Mirror Blade + Mind Stab + iBerserker, Sword - cleaving AA + BF, Axe - cleaving AA + Lingering Thoughts). Scepter has Confusing Images, but its aoe is so "good" that they could actually remove it from the skill and no one would notice any difference, lol.

>

> If you ocassionally swap to scepter to stack some confusion on a single target with Confusing Images and ambush, then yeah, I guess it's fine then. The weapon sucks though if you want to use it as your primary weapon in PvE.

>

> The AA is bad, doesn't stack conditions reliably on top of looking and sounding awful. The only plus is that it creates a clone on its 3rd chain.

> Skill 2 would be lovely if it was more reliable. One-instance-block-triggers are annoying in pve.

> Skill 3 is the only good one.

> Ambush applies some condis, but is single target, long channeling, projectile based, with poor power damage. Basically _much_ worse Confusing Images.

>

> More downsides:

> -Scepter feels really slow, forcing you to take Malicious Sorcery if you plan on using it as your primary weap.

> -It's inferior to axe in every way but range.

> -It has no AoE.

>

> I'm well aware that scepter recived a lot of buffs in the past, but let's be honest: they were just fixes to its originally poor design, and without them the scepter would not exist anymore. I **love** Scepter, been using it on my mes since like forever, it's my favourite weapon type and my only legendary weap, and I really want to have fun with it. Please :confused:

>

> About other weapons in PvE:

> 1) Staff - I agree with anyone saying that staff needs loads of buffs. AA needs to be faster and always apply a damaging condition. iWarlock should inflict conditions. Chaos Armor (skill) needs a redesign, so boring.

> 2) GS - its AA should always deal the same, high dmg no matter how far you are from the target. Mind Stab needs major buffs or a redesign. Illusionary Wave is meh.

> 3) MH Sword - its dmg is okay, I guess. The aftercast on aa chain 3 is kinda annoying. You should be able to move during Blurred Frenzy imo. Illusionary Leap/Swap is clunky and underwhelming. Sword needs more elegant animations.

> 4) Axe - it's in a pretty good spot. The most fun weapon mesmer has access to, imo. The only things I'd like to see is Lingering Thoughts' 1/4 sec between casts CD removed and the ambush bug (?) fixed.

>

>

Well i didn't say scepter is perfect, but for what it is, it pairs good with axe when you need some mid range, and confusion stacks when most of the axe is on cooldown. And not every weapon needs an AOE, i wasn't even aware Confusing images is an AOE lol, i know it hits everything it passes through but that's hardly an AOE i agree. It's not a primary weapon sort of thing, but that's ok. I actually like scepter ambush though.

All in all, *everything* could use a redesign and be *better*, even Axe which is nearly perfect now, but not every weapon needs to be able to do everything. Scepter is a niche weapon that serves it's purpose when you need it, then you swap to whatever you're using as main. That's kind of how Greatsword works too. Sword and Axe are good main weapons, but staff is just all over the place and i think really needs attention first if Anet is going to redesign anything on a mesmer.

The ambush attack is absolutely amazing against groups of mobs, Chaos Storm is good, Phase Retreat is perfect as is. Staff 3 is the token phantasm skill that I never use on Mirage, but has no reason to go. Winds of Chaos could use some work. (Always apply vulnerability with a 50/50 chance of burning or bleeding?)

Staff 4, however, I keep forgetting is even there. Not that it would benefit me to use it off cooldown anyway, because I'll always avoid being in melee range when using staff on Mirage. This either needs to be merged with another staff skill and get replaced with something else, apply chaos armor to all active illusions, or apply chaos armor to yourself and allies in a radius around you.

PvE we have a condi and a power option and that condi option, sceptre, isn’t that bad for ranged power damage either, it’s not great but it’s not bad in a pinch. What I think really needs tweaking more than the main hands is the offhand weapons and class mechanics, most of the weapon abilities aren’t useful because we aren’t shattering if a mesmers rotation involved shattering then the skills that produced clones would be worth more and the value of many of the weapon skills would go up.

> @apharma.3741 said:

> PvE we have a condi and a power option and that condi option, sceptre, isn’t that bad for ranged power damage either, it’s not great but it’s not bad in a pinch. What I think really needs tweaking more than the main hands is the offhand weapons and class mechanics, most of the weapon abilities aren’t useful because we aren’t shattering if a mesmers rotation involved shattering then the skills that produced clones would be worth more and the value of many of the weapon skills would go up.

Speak for yourself, i'm shattering like crazy. :tongue: The meta builds don't shatter. Everyone elae does. Go to WvW and do the rotation there against a player while keeping phantasms up and you'll see what happens. Usually nothing good for you. I run a clone build in fractals and i shatter all the time and it's fine. Just because speedrun meta builds don't shatter doesn't mean you can't.

> @apharma.3741 said:

> PvE we have a condi and a power option and that condi option, sceptre, isn’t that bad for ranged power damage either, it’s not great but it’s not bad in a pinch. What I think really needs tweaking more than the main hands is the offhand weapons and class mechanics, most of the weapon abilities aren’t useful because we aren’t shattering if a mesmers rotation involved shattering then the skills that produced clones would be worth more and the value of many of the weapon skills would go up.

I'd say everything base class ought to be looked at and need more or less tweaking. Weapons, mechanic, utilities. It's been so many years, there is no chance to avoid things being outdated.

> @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > @apharma.3741 said:

> > PvE we have a condi and a power option and that condi option, sceptre, isn’t that bad for ranged power damage either, it’s not great but it’s not bad in a pinch. What I think really needs tweaking more than the main hands is the offhand weapons and class mechanics, most of the weapon abilities aren’t useful because we aren’t shattering if a mesmers rotation involved shattering then the skills that produced clones would be worth more and the value of many of the weapon skills would go up.

>

> Speak for yourself, i'm shattering like crazy. :tongue: The meta builds don't shatter. Everyone elae does. Go to WvW and do the rotation there against a player while keeping phantasms up and you'll see what happens. Usually nothing good for you. I run a clone build in fractals and i shatter all the time and it's fine. Just because speedrun meta builds don't shatter doesn't mean you can't.

Why are you bringing up WvW **in a thread exclusively about PvE?** People like you are exactly the reason many people hate pugs and more so mesmers.

The staff, I see it as a hybrid weapon in the mesmer, and at the same time a weapon support. In general, all staff weapons, almost all (except the thief), are supportive and passive weapons.

In the case of the mesmer, it's like a scale. It inflict in a passive way with the damage condition, and at the same time it is supporting with the buffs.

What would change the staff, is the skill 3 phantasmal and the skill 4 shield chaos.

In skill 3 phantasmal, he would change his attack, and cause the phantasmal to launch an attack projectile, which bounces between enemies, inflict torment and extra torment for each conditions, similar to the skill Feast of Corruption (skill 3 scepter of necro) ), torment because the staff can teleport and attack in distance, that's why it would make good synergy, and the projectile that bounces between enemies, because its main staff attack also bounces, and it logical that phantasmal also her attack is a projectile bounce.

And in skill 4, the change I would make to him I see it difficult, because a shield itself every 30s ... is very little effect.

I can think of many ideas, each one different, as if it were a different skill, not all the changes at the same time and in the same skill:

- That the skill shield chaos has 2 charges, to be able to activate twice, something like the skill mantras. The skill remains the same as before, only 2 loads are added.

- That the skill shield not only auto-apply the shield chaos, but also all your illusions. The skill remains the same as now, just that little added.

- As in the illustration of the skill you see a chaotic whirlpool, it would completely change the skill, it would be a defensive attack, the mesmer turns the staff, something similar to the skill 3 staff of revenant "Warding Rift". You are invulnerable, blocking attacks from enemies, and for each blocked attack, you inflict a random condition (the same conditions that inflict the shield).

> @apharma.3741 said:

> > @Veprovina.4876 said:

> > > @apharma.3741 said:

> > > PvE we have a condi and a power option and that condi option, sceptre, isn’t that bad for ranged power damage either, it’s not great but it’s not bad in a pinch. What I think really needs tweaking more than the main hands is the offhand weapons and class mechanics, most of the weapon abilities aren’t useful because we aren’t shattering if a mesmers rotation involved shattering then the skills that produced clones would be worth more and the value of many of the weapon skills would go up.

> >

> > Speak for yourself, i'm shattering like crazy. :tongue: The meta builds don't shatter. Everyone elae does. Go to WvW and do the rotation there against a player while keeping phantasms up and you'll see what happens. Usually nothing good for you. I run a clone build in fractals and i shatter all the time and it's fine. Just because speedrun meta builds don't shatter doesn't mean you can't.

>

> Why are you bringing up WvW **in a thread exclusively about PvE?** People like you are exactly the reason many people hate pugs and more so mesmers.

Yes, i'm the root of every problem mesmers have in this game for fucks sake. Please read the entire post, i wrote that i use the same build in fractals and that it works fine. Usually, when people screw up, i'm the one left alive runnin around rezing everyone so yeah, a tanky mesmer that can stay alive while dealing damage is the problem here.

Besides...

Your whole argument is that the core mechanics of the class are never used because phantasms are in the meta and shattering is not part of the rotation. And that is the weakest argument i've ever heard because it only focuses on raid meta. Sure, the raid meta doesn't have shatters, but that doesn't mean shatters aren't used at all, and dismissing WvW or PvP is stupid because if you're going to base your argument on the "root of the core mechanic" of the class, then you have to argument that the mechanic doesn't work and is not used in any aspect of the game (PvE, WvW, PvP) which is simply not true. You can't just look at meta builds and go "ugh, class mechanic is flawed because meta doesn't use it". WvW and PvP metas are different, and are also a part of the mesmer profession just as much as PvE metas.

Core class mechanic doesn't change across game modes so you don't get to cherry pick and say that it's faulty because of one game mode.

TLDR; Your argument is that the core mechanic of the mesmer is flawed because a PvE meta doesn't use it, but the core mechanic itself is not only used in PvE, so you can't base the entire argument only on PvE.

Then, I chose scepter, because basically it is a weapon in which it inflicts damage and condition to a single target. The only one that can attack several is skill 3 if any enemy touch the beam.

The scepter itself is fine design, but I would add that the current skills, could also affect several enemies, not just one, at least 3. To give an example, black has at least one skill AoE with the scepter, the Guardian too, etc.

I would make several changes to the scepter of mesmer, which would be the following:

-Ether Clone (3 AA skill 1 of scepter)

_Deliver a damaging attack directly to your target. Summon a clone that casts Ether Bolt. Inflict confusion instead if you have the maximum number of illusions._

Damage: 275

x1 Torment (5s)

x1 Confusion (5s)

Range: 900

Now inflict confusion, if you have 3 illusion, no one extra torment, inflict torment and confusion if you have 3 illusion.

*To compensate, and have another layer of condition, at least, a little sustainable confusion.

-Illusionary Counter ( skill 2 scepter)

_Block the next attack. Counter by applying Torment, on the target and to nearby foes on target, creating a clone that casts Ether Bolt._

Damage: 367

x5 Torment

Evade: ½s

Block Duration: 2s

AoE: 240

*It is similari a "Power Spike" (Mantra of Pain), with a AoE effect, whe it strike on the target. (Is AoE neraby on the target).

-Confusing Images (skill 3 of scepter)

Channel a beam of energy that damages and confuses your foe. Also shoots shorts secondary beams at foes near your target, that inflict confusion.

Damage (x6): 1,300

x6 Confusion

Number of Targets: 5

Range of shorts secondary beams: 180

*It would be very similar to skill Greatsword ambush "Split Surge".

> @"Angel de Lyssa.4716" said:

> Then, I chose scepter, because basically it is a weapon in which it inflicts damage and condition to a single target. The only one that can attack several is skill 3 if any enemy touch the beam.

>

> The scepter itself is fine design, but I would add that the current skills, could also affect several enemies, not just one, at least 3. To give an example, black has at least one skill AoE with the scepter, the Guardian too, etc.

>

> I would make several changes to the scepter of mesmer, which would be the following:

>

> -Ether Clone (3 AA skill 1 of scepter)

>

> _Deliver a damaging attack directly to your target. Summon a clone that casts Ether Bolt. Inflict confusion instead if you have the maximum number of illusions._

>

> Damage: 275

> x1 Torment (5s)

> x1 Confusion (5s)

> Range: 900

>

> Now inflict confusion, if you have 3 illusion, no one extra torment, inflict torment and confusion if you have 3 illusion.

>

> *To compensate, and have another layer of condition, at least, a little sustainable confusion.

>

> -Illusionary Counter ( skill 2 scepter)

>

> _Block the next attack. Counter by applying Torment, on the target and to nearby foes on target, creating a clone that casts Ether Bolt._

>

> Damage: 367

> x5 Torment

> Evade: ½s

> Block Duration: 2s

> AoE: 240

>

> *It is similari a "Power Spike" (Mantra of Pain), with a AoE effect, whe it strike on the target. (Is AoE neraby on the target).

>

> -Confusing Images (skill 3 of scepter)

>

> Channel a beam of energy that damages and confuses your foe. Also shoots shorts secondary beams at foes near your target, that inflict confusion.

>

> Damage (x6): 1,300

> x6 Confusion

> Number of Targets: 5

> Range of shorts secondary beams: 180

>

> *It would be very similar to skill Greatsword ambush "Split Surge".

You could change confusing images to be an AoE around the target hit of say 130 but the single target focus of sceptre is at least consistent. I don’t think condition cleave is in that bad a spot as Mesmer has axe now which hits 3 targets on auto and lingering thoughts also hits 3 targets and is interestingly 4 whirls according to the wiki so with a fire field potential for more damage.

Veprovina you can base your argument around PvE when the thread itself specifically states PvE. Further more you don’t shatter often in PvE, on bosses your damage comes from phantasms for most builds or clones in the recent clone build, either way shattering removes them thus your sustained damage. Every mob that’s below elite isn’t worth talking about as most groups that have a clue what they’re doing melts through them quicker than a hot knife through butter, often before a mesmer can even summon a clone to shatter.

As I say I believe it’s this simple fact that it is usually worse for mesmer DPS to shatter that is the cause of many problems with mesmer in PvE and likewise changing this would result in the strength of many weapons increasing in PvE. Suddenly iLeap doesn’t look terrible if that clone is going to be used as shatter fodder when MW is off CD, sceptre overwriting phantasms isn’t an issue when you will be shattering all clones asap.

> @apharma.3741 said:

> Veprovina you can base your argument around PvE when the thread itself specifically states PvE. Further more you don’t shatter often in PvE, on bosses your damage comes from phantasms for most builds or clones in the recent clone build, either way shattering removes them thus your sustained damage. Every mob that’s below elite isn’t worth talking about as most groups that have a clue what they’re doing melts through them quicker than a hot knife through butter, often before a mesmer can even summon a clone to shatter.

>

> As I say I believe it’s this simple fact that it is usually worse for mesmer DPS to shatter that is the cause of many problems with mesmer in PvE and likewise changing this would result in the strength of many weapons increasing in PvE. Suddenly iLeap doesn’t look terrible if that clone is going to be used as shatter fodder when MW is off CD, sceptre overwriting phantasms isn’t an issue when you will be shattering all clones asap.

You based your argument on core profession mechanics which can't be seen entirely in PvE since it affects all game modes. So that's what i commented on. You can't say a profession mechanic is flawed because this is a PvE thread and in the context of a PvE meta build, the mechanic isn't used much. The core profession mechanic needs to work in all game modes. Just because it's underutilized in 2 hr speed clear meta for content that's meant to be played for an entire week doesn't mean it's flawed.

Also, i literally told you that i use shatters and that this is how i play and you tell me that damage comes from sustain with clones (you're telling me how i should play)? Clones are worthless, phantasms do damage, clones can mimic your ambush, and that's it, you shatter them. My sustain comes from keeping confusion up, not phantasms, and i do this by shattering clones. Plus, there's more utility in that because you don't lose your precious sustain when you need to CC with F3 or distort with F4. Don't tell me how i play my build, not every build in this game is automatically garbage because it's not raid meta.

DPS in general, even in raids doesn't mean much if you don't know the mechanics. I've seen this to be true in fractals, and i'm sure it aplies to raids too. You can have the most meta over 900000000 DPS build there is but if you can't stay alive, you're worthless to the group. You're not doing DPS then. This whole raid meta DPS obsession is just stupid imo. The meta builds are for clearing entire raids in 2 hours, that's all the meta is, and raids last a week. Speed clearing is not the core gameplay, and not all builds need to be tailored to the highest DPS meta build.

This is why people hate DPS meters, everyone is so obsessed with DPS that they forget that classes can do a lot more than just damage. I can singlehandedly deplete the whole breakbar of a boss by shattering and using 2 more skills. That also factors in to DPS because the group can then DPS the hell out of the boss, no? It's not all about raw numbers.

the question you ask is a hard one. i think for the most part though greatsword and staff need some typ of buff/rework. i have been playing mes for like 4 years and i find that sword is good in pve and can work in pvp/wvw. the sceptor is a solid condi wepon for the class so that is good. when it comes to staff and greatsword they in a odd area for me when i play mes. you have the staff as both a cond and suport wepon with it trying to do bounce attacks and its hard to tell what you were trying to go for with that wepon. when it comes to greatsword its were you dont know were you want us to play. you have it as a range wepon but at the same time we use it the gs up close on a lot of targets just for the skill 2 witch gives might its like you dont know if we need to play close or far. if you put those in the right areas mes could be realy good

> @Belishine.7493 said:

> the question you ask is a hard one. i think for the most part though greatsword and staff need some typ of buff/rework. i have been playing mes for like 4 years and i find that sword is good in pve and can work in pvp/wvw. the sceptor is a solid condi wepon for the class so that is good. when it comes to staff and greatsword they in a odd area for me when i play mes. you have the staff as both a cond and suport wepon with it trying to do bounce attacks and its hard to tell what you were trying to go for with that wepon. when it comes to greatsword its were you dont know were you want us to play. you have it as a range wepon but at the same time we use it the gs up close on a lot of targets just for the skill 2 witch gives might its like you dont know if we need to play close or far. if you put those in the right areas mes could be realy good

I see what you mean about the positioning. It's an issue (or maybe not? It depends on what you like, I guess) with the mesmer class as a whole. GS hits harder the farther away you are from the target, yet you might want to stay close to get full profit from Mirror Blade's bounces. Staff is long ranged too, but you should try to stay close to your target for multiple aa bounces. Scepter is medium-long range yet its AA becomes faster the closer you are to the target. Also, Shatters. You want to stay in close range so that you can get maximum damage out of them (because they also deal damage around you).

I guess things like these make mesmer's gameplay more dynamic as you jump in and out for certain skills, but at the same time it might be confusing and tiring to you as to where you are supposed to be to get the best effect. Personally, as a hybrid scepter torch shatter mes, I find myself sticking to my target 90% of time. Sometimes I enjoy it, sometimes I wish I could go ranged and still be effective.

I chose scepter because it has one of the most annoying clone generating skills in the game.

Together with sword OH blocking skill i think it should be improved. In addition to that i think the auto attack is very slow and should be improved.

The laser is actually quiet good it just needs some skill to use. It would be nice if the laser is a little wider and cleaves (atleast in PvE). Or just bounce from enemy to enemy.

For the blocking skill i propose something like the guardian mace bubble. It guards an area arround the mesmer and not just blocks the next direct attack. After blocking it summons a bubble arround the mesmer (similar to guard focus) that blocks additional attacks. Every blocked hit applies confusion, this accounts for the active block and the bubble.

After channeling the active block without blocking anything it will deliver a blinding strike arround the mesmer.

AA just needs to speed up at the last strike and reduce its aftercast.

> @InsaneQR.7412 said:

> I chose scepter because it has one of the most annoying clone generating skills in the game.

> Together with sword OH blocking skill i think it should be improved. In addition to that i think the auto attack is very slow and should be improved.

> The laser is actually quiet good it just needs some skill to use. It would be nice if the laser is a little wider and cleaves (atleast in PvE). Or just bounce from enemy to enemy.

>

> For the blocking skill i propose something like the guardian mace bubble. It guards an area arround the mesmer and not just blocks the next direct attack. After blocking it summons a bubble arround the mesmer (similar to guard focus) that blocks additional attacks. Every blocked hit applies confusion, this accounts for the active block and the bubble.

> After channeling the active block without blocking anything it will deliver a blinding strike arround the mesmer.

> AA just needs to speed up at the last strike and reduce its aftercast.

You have to consider that even if u want to change a skill for PvE, the same skills is gonna be used in PvP and WvW, confusion on every hit would cause serious problems in low tier and would be really weak in high tier.

Currenty scepter 2 and sword 4 for example can have such a low cooldown because they only block one attack. It's the downside and the upside of those 2 skills. Shield 4 for example is a channeled block, so u can block those auto attacks between the big hit u want to negate. Therefore its cooldown is rather high, same with warrior shield 5 for example. Scepter and sword on the other hand have very low cooldowns, but therefore can only block one attack - which may happen to be an auto attack rather then the big hit. - U have to be much more skilled to play scepter 2 and sword 4 effectifely, but IF u are, both skills give u A LOT.

> @FaboBabo.3581 said:

> > @InsaneQR.7412 said:

> > I chose scepter because it has one of the most annoying clone generating skills in the game.

> > Together with sword OH blocking skill i think it should be improved. In addition to that i think the auto attack is very slow and should be improved.

> > The laser is actually quiet good it just needs some skill to use. It would be nice if the laser is a little wider and cleaves (atleast in PvE). Or just bounce from enemy to enemy.

> >

> > For the blocking skill i propose something like the guardian mace bubble. It guards an area arround the mesmer and not just blocks the next direct attack. After blocking it summons a bubble arround the mesmer (similar to guard focus) that blocks additional attacks. Every blocked hit applies confusion, this accounts for the active block and the bubble.

> > After channeling the active block without blocking anything it will deliver a blinding strike arround the mesmer.

> > AA just needs to speed up at the last strike and reduce its aftercast.

>

> You have to consider that even if u want to change a skill for PvE, the same skills is gonna be used in PvP and WvW, confusion on every hit would cause serious problems in low tier and would be really weak in high tier.

>

> Currenty scepter 2 and sword 4 for example can have such a low cooldown because they only block one attack. It's the downside and the upside of those 2 skills. Shield 4 for example is a channeled block, so u can block those auto attacks between the big hit u want to negate. Therefore its cooldown is rather high, same with warrior shield 5 for example. Scepter and sword on the other hand have very low cooldowns, but therefore can only block one attack - which may happen to be an auto attack rather then the big hit. - U have to be much more skilled to play scepter 2 and sword 4 effectifely, but IF u are, both skills give u A LOT.

The use of them generally destroys the attack flow though.

Atleast they should guard an area like mace on guard does. So you can protect allies with it too and get a higher chance on spawning the clone.

Additionally id say they also should work in a similar way. So unless you cancel the channel they always will channel full, if they do not block they apply AoE blind or stun respectively. A cone in front of the mesmer would be fitting for the fighting style and it wouldnt be reflectable.

If this effect occurs on cancel or not could be debated.

> @OriOri.8724 said:

> Please no. This would do nothing but homogenize the classes even more. As it is right now, having each class use weapons in wildly different ways provides a lot of flavor to the game. Staff on mesmer is defensive, on DD its an up close and personal DPS weapon, on druid its a healing/support weapon, on ele its a longrange weapon with fucktons of functionality etc... Don't take away unique identities like this. Otherwise you wouldn't be in a situation where mesmer could have a ranged GS option, because that wouldn't be the same as all of the other classes that use it in a melee range.

The problem with that is - in general I agree, mind you, I usually said the same about every homogenization step in WoW - is that ANet seemingly lacks the manpower to handle how expansive and complicated their class system is.

In other words, the more they can fold together, the better those parts become. And frankly at present, 5 years into the game, I'd rather have **one** weapon set per class (meaning, say, Mesmers always use Sword+Focus) which is actually balanced, well-designed and works in all situations and gives the class unique strengths and weaknesses due to the class built around that weapon than the plethora of choices which are all at best 75% complete.

Making weapons always work similar is one way of achieving that. Less design work. If "swords" can be design as one, instead of Mesmer sword vs Guardian sword vs Warrior sword (etc), then that's good. Less work for the devs. The lack of rework patches and the tiny scope of the balance patches we get seems to indicate this is a dire necessity. :<

Though, again, in theory I'd be with you, unique identities are awesome. But only if there is dev time to actually design and implement those.