I see Dead Names … All the Time

People are throwing out ways to gain access to names that have been already been taken. I’ll give a suggestion:

If the name you choose is taken, a check-box appears saying: “I would like to be notified when this name becomes available.”

It may be a First Come/First Served for everyone who checked the box. Or notify each account individually order of priority and give a time-frame (say a week) to claim or pass over the name.

> @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> Since the only names that become available are chars that are deleted/renamed you could always ingame email them and ask to be notified if they ever are going to delete/rename their char. You might offer them some gold if they do so and you get the name.

I’d find that a bit weird tbh and block the person who messaged me that.

If someone wanted any of my characters names, I’d charge the gold price of a name change contract at the time, if I wanted to give the name up that is.

> @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > Since the only names that become available are chars that are deleted/renamed you could always ingame email them and ask to be notified if they ever are going to delete/rename their char. You might offer them some gold if they do so and you get the name.

>

>

>

> I’d find that a bit weird tbh and block the person who messaged me that.

>

> If someone wanted any of my characters names, I’d charge the gold price of a name change contract at the time, if I wanted to give the name up that is.

>

No doubt.

But the odds of ANet doing what the OP has suggested is around zero chance so even if the chance of a positive response from a player is low it’s still higher than the chance that ANet will set up a queue for names.

> Since the only names that become available are chars that are deleted/renamed you could always ingame email them and ask to be notified if they ever are going to delete/rename their char. You might offer them some gold if they do so and you get the name.

I would be 100% against that as I've had times I deleted a character with a name, just to make a new character with that same name (chances are not the same race, but same name).

And yeah as the other guy said, I might just block them and wonder "who the hell is this person?"

It's not hard to come up with names.

> @"Ayumi Spender.1082" said:

> > Since the only names that become available are chars that are deleted/renamed you could always ingame email them and ask to be notified if they ever are going to delete/rename their char. You might offer them some gold if they do so and you get the name.

>

> I would be 100% against that as I've had times I deleted a character with a name, just to make a new character with that same name (chances are not the same race, but same name).

> And yeah as the other guy said, I might just block them and wonder "who the hell is this person?"

> It's not hard to come up with names.

Your char’s name is saved to your account for 24 hours so presumably the notice wouldn’t go out until the 24 hours go by and the name is released for anyone to use.

As for the OP’s suggestion it has multiple problems, such as

1) the likelihood of someone still wanting a name after a year or 3 has gone by

2) having a char slot available when the name is freed up

3) if he is still playing when the notification comes through and of course, coming back to find the chance for that name has come and gone and now the name is taken because the next person in line was notified.

So yeah. It’s not that hard to come up with a unique name. People should do that instead of pining for the ‘flavor of the month’ name that some entertainment has made famous.

> @Haleydawn.3764 said:

>

>

>

> I’d find that a bit weird tbh and block the person who messaged me that.

>

> If someone wanted any of my characters names, I’d charge the gold price of a name change contract at the time, if I wanted to give the name up that is.

>

In my case I'd charge the gold price of a Permanent Hair Stylist Contract, and then maybe we'd talk. Maybe.

What name could _possibly_ be that important that you absolutely must have it? Will your world end if you don't have it? (No, no it won't, it was rhetorical) Does having 'x' name (which obviously is not unique in anyway) somehow make you more special? Somehow denote you're a bigger fan of whatever series it comes from? Let's have some creativity boys and girls. If I can do it, why can't you be bothered?

If it was for a character I was going to delete or rename anyway in the near future, then I'd do it for free. If the person wants a name so bad, they'd mail a stranger about it, then I'd rather they get it over someone else.

But, if I wasn't, I'd ask how much are they willing to pay me in gold for it. The amount in gold would have to meet and/or exceed the amount for a name change contract. Some names would be higher if I really like the name. Like my main's name: Chymea. I'd have to be paid a lot to give that up.

> @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> And here we go again with the "It's not fair, I want my favourite name cos..."

Actually, this proposal is different. The OP isn't asking anyone to give up a name; they just want to know when a name is voluntarily surrendered. They aren't arguing based on "fairness", just about having access to data available to the game but not to players.

I don't agree with the proposal (others have already pointed out that implementation is a lot more complicated than it sounds), but unlike most ideas, this one at least doesn't claim that active players have more "rights" to names than currently- or temporarily-inactive players.

>

> As for the OP’s suggestion it has multiple problems, such as

> 1) the likelihood of someone still wanting a name after a year or 3 has gone by

> 2) having a char slot available when the name is freed up

> 3) if he is still playing when the notification comes through and of course, coming back to find the chance for that name has come and gone and now the name is taken because the next person in line was notified.

Names are not for instant gratification, but to make a statement about the character. I can see players using an alternate spelling for the name they want in hopes the correct spelling comes available, yes in a year or three.

A person would have the same issues with my suggestion as others have suggested in forcing players to give up character names: needing an empty slot, still wanting the name, and playing the game when the name became available.

I just wanted to come up with an option that didn't inconvenience a player for no reason other than "You have something that I want." That's too childish.

It's like buying a car: you wait to find one you want, you look and may not find it for a while, when you do find it -- do you still need it? You can't just steal the first one you see just because the owner hasn't driven it for a period of time.

> @"Game of Bones.8975" said:

> >

> > As for the OP’s suggestion it has multiple problems, such as

> > 1) the likelihood of someone still wanting a name after a year or 3 has gone by

> > 2) having a char slot available when the name is freed up

> > 3) if he is still playing when the notification comes through and of course, coming back to find the chance for that name has come and gone and now the name is taken because the next person in line was notified.

>

> Names are not for instant gratification, but to make a statement about the character. I can see players using an alternate spelling for the name they want in hopes the correct spelling comes available, yes in a year or three.

> A person would have the same issues with my suggestion as others have suggested in forcing players to give up character names: needing an empty slot, still wanting the name, and playing the game when the name became available.

> I just wanted to come up with an option that didn't inconvenience a player for no reason other than "You have something that I want." That's too childish.

> It's like buying a car: you wait to find one you want, you look and may not find it for a while, when you do find it -- do you still need it? You can't just steal the first one you see just because the owner hasn't driven it for a period of time.

Okay, I need to know though.

They're taken already right? So it's not like they can be taken again.

Can you please please please tell me which names did you try that are dead names? Which names that is an "instant gratification, but to make a statement about the character."... that there's no alternatives to it?

I'm completely not attacking you, but I want to know what those names are. It should be fine to say which names you've tried that didn't work. I'm just wondering.

> >

> > As for the OP’s suggestion it has multiple problems, such as

> > 1) the likelihood of someone still wanting a name after a year or 3 has gone by

> > 2) having a char slot available when the name is freed up

> > 3) if he is still playing when the notification comes through and of course, coming back to find the chance for that name has come and gone and now the name is taken because the next person in line was notified.

>

> Names are not for instant gratification, but to make a statement about the character. I can see players using an alternate spelling for the name they want in hopes the correct spelling comes available, yes in a year or three.

> A person would have the same issues with my suggestion as others have suggested in forcing players to give up character names: needing an empty slot, still wanting the name, and playing the game when the name became available.

> I just wanted to come up with an option that didn't inconvenience a player for no reason other than "You have something that I want." That's too childish.

> It's like buying a car: you wait to find one you want, you look and may not find it for a while, when you do find it -- do you still need it? You can't just steal the first one you see just because the owner hasn't driven it for a period of time.

I have to wonder though. How likely is it that any name you want will be released at any time, much less within a year or 3. After all, if it’s a character that someone is actively playing then that person likes that name and it’s unlikely that they’ll change it. If it’s a person that isn’t actively playing, then it’s very unlikely that they’ll log onto their account just to delete chars/change names. So even if ANet were to set up a queue system for name notification the odds are very, very low that the name you want will be released for you to use. If the odds of successful notification are very low then this system isn’t worth the effort to set up.

> People are throwing out ways to gain access to names that have been already been taken. I’ll give a suggestion:

> If the name you choose is taken, a check-box appears saying: “I would like to be notified when this name becomes available.”

> It may be a First Come/First Served for everyone who checked the box. Or notify each account individually order of priority and give a time-frame (say a week) to claim or pass over the name.

>

I could see this working, but I think that in order to prevent trolls from abusing it, you should be allowed at most 2 name hold requests per account.

"Hello, my name is Luthien."

Back in my first MMORPG, years ago, I had several people in my clan who wanted to be called Luthien (from lycan leader of underworld). So we had a Luthien ofcours, a Luttien, a Luth13n, a Luthtien, a lLuthien, a a Luthi3n and Lu7thien. That are 7 people XD. Each of them wanted to be called and identified as the true Luthien and seen as cool as the character of the movies.

The name never makes a good player. It is nice to have a catchy one, but people keep you in mind for your actions and the person you are, not your name. Back then, when people in the clan refered to Luthien in the chat, we always meant the same guy. And yes, he used one of the weird looking names. It literally does not matter.

From my point of view, the clearly spelled name characters are more likely to be abandoned and forgotten than the improvised. Or have you ever seen a Gandalf, Gimly, Mario, Zelda, Link or Zeus in the game? When you walk through the cities you see a lot of people, many work with the ^'`´ which looks pretty good. Others use double names and some use the oldfashioned lI Name Il or X Name X or something like that. If your character is named Iol Hannibal Iol and you play that character active, people will reconginze and call you Hannibal. Even if you join a random group, people will see your intention and usually call you Hannibal. Noone uses the spacers to call someone, except for whispers and invites.

I know that this is not the answer people want to hear. People are tired to get this answer, they just want their beloved unique names!

How about another explanation? You probably know that every name in the entire game only exists once among all servers, which is the major reason that one name is no longer availabe. The reason for this is, that our servers are not separated as in other games. Thanks to WvWvW, PvP and the Megaserver we can play with eachother across all servers. We can even switch to a different region and play with all our chars in the EU/US servers, without any trouble. Another point of view, merge. Nothing lasts forever and one day our servers will run low on players. In order to save costs, we have to do what all other mmorpgs do out there, merge underpopulated servers together. We already do that, but mostly for the sake of balancing server-strength in WvWvW. It would be nearly impossible to do that, if we had every name on each server. I have seen how merges are done with other companies. People who share the same name gamble, the loser has to rename his char. That is something none of us ever wants to do with his character, renaming it because someone else wants it. Not because the character is not used, but because you lost a gamble. That is not cool.

In the end I have to admit, that I have a few unique names for my characters which I carried through every game I played. GW2 is the first MMORPG, I was not able to get a single one of them clearly written and I play since the official launch. My main character uses the Il Name Il writing. You get used to everything.

> @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > And here we go again with the "It's not fair, I want my favourite name cos..."

>

> Actually, this proposal is different. The OP isn't asking anyone to give up a name; they just want to know when a name is voluntarily surrendered. They aren't arguing based on "fairness", just about having access to data available to the game but not to players.

>

> I don't agree with the proposal (others have already pointed out that implementation is a lot more complicated than it sounds), but unlike most ideas, this one at least doesn't claim that active players have more "rights" to names than currently- or temporarily-inactive players.

It comes back to the same thing.. someone wanted a name that they have to have but can't .. this is just a veiled attempt at whining about it the same thing.

Players have all the data they need.. try your name.. if its available then you got lucky in game that's 5 years new, if not then get creative.

Couldn't be more simple really.

> @HnRkLnXqZ.1870 said:

> "Hello, my name is Luthien."

>

> Back in my first MMORPG, years ago, I had several people in my clan who wanted to be called Luthien (from lycan leader of underworld). So we had a Luthien ofcours, a Luttien, a Luth13n, a Luthtien, a lLuthien, a a Luthi3n and Lu7thien. That are 7 people XD. Each of them wanted to be called and identified as the true Luthien and seen as cool as the character of the movies.

>

> The name never makes a good player. It is nice to have a catchy one, but people keep you in mind for your actions and the person you are, not your name. Back then, when people in the clan refered to Luthien in the chat, we always meant the same guy. And yes, he used one of the weird looking names. It literally does not matter.

>

> From my point of view, the clearly spelled name characters are more likely to be abandoned and forgotten than the improvised. Or have you ever seen a Gandalf, Gimly, Mario, Zelda, Link or Zeus in the game? When you walk through the cities you see a lot of people, many work with the ^'`´ which looks pretty good. Others use double names and some use the oldfashioned lI Name Il or X Name X or something like that. If your character is named Iol Hannibal Iol and you play that character active, people will reconginze and call you Hannibal. Even if you join a random group, people will see your intention and usually call you Hannibal. Noone uses the spacers to call someone, except for whispers and invites.

>

> I know that this is not the answer people want to hear. People are tired to get this answer, they just want their beloved unique names!

>

> How about another explanation? You probably know that every name in the entire game only exists once among all servers, which is the major reason that one name is no longer availabe. The reason for this is, that our servers are not separated as in other games. Thanks to WvWvW, PvP and the Megaserver we can play with eachother across all servers. We can even switch to a different region and play with all our chars in the EU/US servers, without any trouble. Another point of view, merge. Nothing lasts forever and one day our servers will run low on players. In order to save costs, we have to do what all other mmorpgs do out there, merge underpopulated servers together. We already do that, but mostly for the sake of balancing server-strength in WvWvW. It would be nearly impossible to do that, if we had every name on each server. I have seen how merges are done with other companies. People who share the same name gamble, the loser has to rename his char. That is something none of us ever wants to do with his character, renaming it because someone else wants it. Not because the character is not used, but because you lost a gamble. That is not cool.

>

> In the end I have to admit, that I have a few unique names for my characters which I carried through every game I played. GW2 is the first MMORPG, I was not able to get a single one of them clearly written and I play since the official launch. My main character uses the Il Name Il writing. You get used to everything.

Maybe it's because I'm into creativity and ideas and whichever.

That I like thinking up characters, names, ideas, lore, stories (I don't mean in MMOs mind you. I just mean in general.) that I don't understand this.

Like for example the Luthien name. If someone wants to be unoriginal and need a name that has already been used (not even going to call the person who took the name 1st unoriginal, just the one that can't even think up another name or another official name to use)... why not make up some character that is linked to them?

I don't know the story behind Luthien and google is showing me something about some Lord of the Rings and being a female elf which doesn't sound werewolfy to me, but I would assume they would have family? Friends? Distant relatives? I mean, you're already using a name you saw somewhere because you can't make one yourself... why not pick another?

You see someone named Sparda. Then you find out Dante and Vergil are used up. Okay... fine... while it won't be linked to Devil May Cry, why not look up another name that has been used in the Divine Comedy itself? There's many names in there to pick from.

If THOSE are used up, maybe links to the author? The people the author know? How about another known name from a story like that, or if you want some kind of "Demon child" theme like Dante or Vergil, there's other stories that went with that.

Or back to my argument of............... why not make up your own? You're the the leader of a pack. A group of lycans. Your name is Rhyleigh or something (just some random name on the top of my head) and trying to keep your people safe and unknown. Covering up deaths and kidnappings to let people not know of the actions you guys must do to survive. So on and so forth.

And obviously before even writing this, I'm sure Rhyleigh is taken... make a last name. Rhyleigh Stenisson or something. I don't know.

Think of something. Use your own mind your own brain, your own thoughts.

I know not everyone have a creative mind, but it should not be that hard. The reason why the world out there has countless names (and yes there's millions of Michaels, Davids, Stevens, Chelseas, and even Ayumis) out there. The reason is through creativity.

The name Charles didn't always exist. Come up with something. Come on people.

> @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > @"Illconceived Was Na.9781" said:

> > > @Bloodstealer.5978 said:

> > > And here we go again with the "It's not fair, I want my favourite name cos..."

> >

> > Actually, this proposal is different. The OP isn't asking anyone to give up a name; they just want to know when a name is voluntarily surrendered. They aren't arguing based on "fairness", just about having access to data available to the game but not to players.

> >

> > I don't agree with the proposal (others have already pointed out that implementation is a lot more complicated than it sounds), but unlike most ideas, this one at least doesn't claim that active players have more "rights" to names than currently- or temporarily-inactive players.

>

> It comes back to the same thing.. someone wanted a name that they have to have but can't .. this is just a veiled attempt at whining about it the same thing.

> Players have all the data they need.. try your name.. if its available then you got lucky in game that's 5 years new, if not then get creative.

> Couldn't be more simple really.

The OP tried to figure out a solution that takes nothing away from account owners, while at the same time providing the OP with an extra shot at getting the name. That's the opposite of whining; it's thinking creatively about their concern and trying to figure out a potential solution.

I wish the OP would put some of that creatively to work on names, because I agree with you that MMO players have to be prepared to miss out on their favorite appellations. I can't imagine ANet spending any time considering this proposal, let alone implementing it: it's expensive and provides relatively low benefit to a tiny fraction of players.

All the same: it's not whining simply because we don't support the idea or even agree that there's much of an issue requiring it.

> @LanfearShadowflame.3189 said:

> What name could _possibly_ be that important that you absolutely must have it? Will your world end if you don't have it? (No, no it won't, it was rhetorical) Does having 'x' name (which obviously is not unique in anyway) somehow make you more special? Somehow denote you're a bigger fan of whatever series it comes from? Let's have some creativity boys and girls. If I can do it, why can't you be bothered?

Actually I've always wanted the name Siege Jimmy for my WvW commander. I've asked him about it before and the dude doesn't even realise how gold it is. I loved it from the start because it had a nice play on Saint Jimmy and he didn't even know who Saint Jimmy is. :frown:

> @"Endless Soul.5178" said:

> > @Haleydawn.3764 said:

> > > @"Just a flesh wound.3589" said:

> > > Since the only names that become available are chars that are deleted/renamed you could always ingame email them and ask to be notified if they ever are going to delete/rename their char. You might offer them some gold if they do so and you get the name.

> >

> >

> >

> > I’d find that a bit weird tbh and block the person who messaged me that.

> >

> > If someone wanted any of my characters names, I’d charge the gold price of a name change contract at the time, if I wanted to give the name up that is.

> >

>

> In my case I'd charge the gold price of a Permanent Hair Stylist Contract, and then maybe we'd talk. Maybe.

I will sell any cha name besides my main for that price, o wait.... please also gift me a name change contract as well, thank you!