Why power warrior doesn't work

Valik Shin.9027

So with the new axe buff people were excited with the possibility of power warrior actually being a thing. It just wasn't enough to bring it into contention. People have been debating why it just doesn't work so i have come up with the reason i have found after testing and studying warriors

1. Not enough damage

The main reason is just pure lack of damage on all the weapons. Most classes can have aoe attack going (lavafont/ele traps/gaurd) and still auto attack. Warrior doesn't have that. Thier attacks need the extra teeth to make up for this

2. Damage multipliers are a mess

They are spread out too much and can be awkward to use (stick and move).

Strength has bezerker power which is nice but has some ramp time. Stick and move is awkward at best in most rotations other than GS and is a real pain when you have vigor all the time. Forceful GS is great... if you run GS. The new physical trait? Is a joke. 33% for 5sec that can only be activated by the most unused set of warrior skill in pve? Not very good.

Arms has possibly the best dps bonus in signet mastery. It's fairly esay to maintain all 5 stacks for +500 ferocity. It is a bit clunky but worst case (providing 100% crit chance) it is the same buff as bokt to the heart. The problem? Arms is garbage for power outside of that 1 trait. Only other trait that could be useful right now is dual wielding but it doesn't stack with quickness or the bezerker attack speed increase

Defenens and tactics have minimal damage multipliers and are not really a thing for true power war

Dcipline had the same problem as arms. 1 good power trait and rest are pretty useless. Axe mastery is a nice 20% buff (with 100% crit) but that's about it. Burst mastery is nice but I competes with axe mastery.

Bezerker is the 1 trait line that actually has 3 good traits for power war and is in a good spot

Spellbreaker is just bad for power warrior

So how do we fix all this? Traits need to be moved around or rework to allow warrior to take more damage multipliers and others need to be less awkward to use

I'm sure there are other reasons people can come up with but this is what I find to be the biggest problems at this time

> @"Valik Shin.9027" said:

> So with the new axe buff people were excited with the possibility of power warrior actually being a thing. It just wasn't enough to bring it into contention. People have been debating why it just doesn't work so i have come up with the reason i have found after testing and studying warriors

>

> 1. Not enough damage

> The main reason is just pure lack of damage on all the weapons. **Most classes can have aoe attack going (lavafont/ele traps/gaurd) and still auto attack. Warrior doesn't have that. Thier attacks need the extra teeth to make up for this**

>

> 2. **Damage multipliers are a mess**

> They are spread out too much and can be awkward to use (stick and move).

>

> Strength has bezerker power which is nice but has some ramp time. Stick and move is awkward at best in most rotations other than GS and is a real pain when you have vigor all the time. Forceful GS is great... if you run GS. The new physical trait? Is a joke. 33% for 5sec that can only be activated by the most unused set of warrior skill in pve? Not very good.

>

> Arms has possibly the best dps bonus in signet mastery. It's fairly esay to maintain all 5 stacks for +500 ferocity. It is a bit clunky but worst case (providing 100% crit chance) it is the same buff as bokt to the heart. The problem? Arms is garbage for power outside of that 1 trait. Only other trait that could be useful right now is dual wielding but it doesn't stack with quickness or the bezerker attack speed increase

>

> Defenens and tactics have minimal damage multipliers and are not really a thing for true power war

>

> Dcipline had the same problem as arms. 1 good power trait and rest are pretty useless. Axe mastery is a nice 20% buff (with 100% crit) but that's about it. Burst mastery is nice but I competes with axe mastery.

>

> Bezerker is the 1 trait line that actually has 3 good traits for power war and is in a good spot

>

> Spellbreaker is just bad for power warrior

>

> So how do we fix all this? Traits need to be moved around or rework to allow warrior to take more damage multipliers and others need to be less awkward to use

>

> I'm sure there are other reasons people can come up with but this is what I find to be the biggest problems at this time

:'D

I've only seen a few people bring up these points, even though they are so crucial to the fact that power warrior is so weak.

I agree with everything said in this post ;-;

I think the problem stems from the fact that Warrior has been shoehorned into this mightbot for the longest time. Because of that, they figure that GS doesn't have to do a lot of damage, because it generates might, and everyone is going to use Forceful greatsword anyway. With this most recent wave of balance changes, it seems like they want to move away from PS Warrior being required in every party. They need to compensate with some actual power damage options. Has DPS Power Warrior ever been a thing in this game? I don't think it has for the 2 1/2 years I've played. It's always a group support thing doing middling damage, or you have to go condi.

> @SWI.4127 said:

> I think the problem stems from the fact that Warrior has been shoehorned into this mightbot for the longest time. Because of that, they figure that GS doesn't have to do a lot of damage, because it generates might, and everyone is going to use Forceful greatsword anyway. With this most recent wave of balance changes, it seems like they want to move away from PS Warrior being required in every party. They need to compensate with some actual power damage options. Has DPS Power Warrior ever been a thing in this game? I don't think it has for the 2 1/2 years I've played. It's always a group support thing doing middling damage, or you have to go condi.

Power war hasn't been a thing for like 4 years and it was only used then cause people didn't know how to play

Let me offer an alternate explanation. Power warrior is not a thing because Anet refuse to skill split.

1. Warrior has the highest base armor and vitality in the game. Its EHP is basically second to necro but warrior has a lot more evades, blocks, and dodges.

2. Warrior has absolutely stupid passive sustain. The high resistance uptime combined high base vitality make the meta amulets amulets like Demolishers; this makes the class much more defensive against both power and condi attackers.

3. Warrior has decent self might and can have more if built to.

4. Warrior has a lot of mobility on greatsword, vigor on stances, Warrior's sprint.

5. Anet refuses to skill split.

6. In conclusion the answer is PvP balance (none of these things matter much in PvE).

In conclusion buffing power warrior without nerfing warrior sustain through the floor would power creep warriors into God territory. Imagine the spellbreaker of launch but with much higher weapon damage skills (greatsword doing 30% more damage for instance). With necro getting glassy scourge (which is still incredibly OP in competitive environments) warrior is now in the place that necro was. Too much defence to have good power damage. With Spellbreaker now existing and Full Counter being incredibly defensively and offensively powerful in PvP I see no way in which Anet will actually buff power warrior without nerfing warrior sustain into the ground or splitting skills. Anet has been slowly following this path with the nerfs to endure pain and to stances.

The alternative is that Anet won't realize that buffing the still incredibly powerful spellbreaker indirectly through buffs to core trait lines would break things in PvP and will just get sick of the PvE complaints and buff core traits regardless. Six months later everything will get nerfed far harder into the floor.

> @Enigmoid.1264 said:

> Let me offer an alternate explanation. Power warrior is not a thing because Anet refuse to skill split.

>

> 1. Warrior has the highest base armor and vitality in the game. Its EHP is basically second to necro but warrior has a lot more evades, blocks, and dodges.

> 2. Warrior has absolutely stupid passive sustain. The high resistance uptime combined high base vitality make the meta amulets amulets like Demolishers; this makes the class much more defensive against both power and condi attackers.

> 3. Warrior has decent self might and can have more if built to.

> 4. Warrior has a lot of mobility on greatsword, vigor on stances, Warrior's sprint.

> 5. Anet refuses to skill split.

> 6. In conclusion the answer is PvP balance (none of these things matter much in PvE).

>

So why guardians have power dps build that is still considered meta with all their survivalability? Please, don't say that it is because of their low HP...

> @cryorion.9532 said:

> > @Enigmoid.1264 said:

> > Let me offer an alternate explanation. Power warrior is not a thing because Anet refuse to skill split.

> >

> > 1. Warrior has the highest base armor and vitality in the game. Its EHP is basically second to necro but warrior has a lot more evades, blocks, and dodges.

> > 2. Warrior has absolutely stupid passive sustain. The high resistance uptime combined high base vitality make the meta amulets amulets like Demolishers; this makes the class much more defensive against both power and condi attackers.

> > 3. Warrior has decent self might and can have more if built to.

> > 4. Warrior has a lot of mobility on greatsword, vigor on stances, Warrior's sprint.

> > 5. Anet refuses to skill split.

> > 6. In conclusion the answer is PvP balance (none of these things matter much in PvE).

> >

>

> So why guardians have power dps build that is still considered meta with all their survivalability? Please, don't say that it is because of their low HP...

Because Guardians aren't Warriors ... that's not a glib answer either. What is the connection between the two that makes you think what happens on one should be on the other?

> @cryorion.9532 said:

> > @Enigmoid.1264 said:

> > Let me offer an alternate explanation. Power warrior is not a thing because Anet refuse to skill split.

> >

> > 1. Warrior has the highest base armor and vitality in the game. Its EHP is basically second to necro but warrior has a lot more evades, blocks, and dodges.

> > 2. Warrior has absolutely stupid passive sustain. The high resistance uptime combined high base vitality make the meta amulets amulets like Demolishers; this makes the class much more defensive against both power and condi attackers.

> > 3. Warrior has decent self might and can have more if built to.

> > 4. Warrior has a lot of mobility on greatsword, vigor on stances, Warrior's sprint.

> > 5. Anet refuses to skill split.

> > 6. In conclusion the answer is PvP balance (none of these things matter much in PvE).

> >

>

> So why guardians have power dps build that is still considered meta with all their survivalability? Please, don't say that it is because of their low HP...

Context is mainly PvP and Anet not splitting balance. Guards following HOT release were really OP because of traps and even up to PoF were very strong in lower tiers. And yes vitality is somewhat of a factor as long as Anet don't split skills.

1. Significantly lower HP means that Guardians are far more likely to take some vitality gear. Guards are far more vulnerable to burst,

2. Mobility is lower in general (no greatsword mobility, not 25% speed buff traits)

3. Somewhat more reactive (ignoring traps), fewer autoprocs, pulsing boons

4. Guard doesn't use dps weapons in PvP like sc/torch as frequently as warrior does GS.

Don't get me started on Firebrand.

Currently Firebrand is absolutely disgusting with its damage and utility. In PvE you can take this build on any world or Hot boss and, if running a dps meter, see that you are virtually guaranteed to be top dps with 0 rotation and effort. The absolutely crazy damage (the F1 tome can get refreshed if you downstate and refresh on kill from Renewed Justice is incredibly OP with trash mobs), self might and quickness, group ageis and stunbreak (Mantra of Liberation is group sunbreak, stab, and retal on a 15s charge). It can take full damage gear and get carried by the F2 and F3 tomes when it gets in trouble.

You claim that you studied warrior but you still missed the #1 thing why power warrior does not work! That thing is warrior is a melee fighter that needs to be 130 units range to deal damage. Kiting the warrior results in a significant decrease in DPS for the warrior, most human players are not like NPCs that stay still eating damage throughout the entire fight. The reason why people don't play warrior is because they cannot hit their opponents as often as the range classes.

And that is the reason why power warrior does not work!

> @Hitman.5829 said:

> You claim that you studied warrior but you still missed the #1 thing why power warrior does not work! That thing is warrior is a melee fighter that needs to be 130 units range to deal damage. Kiting the warrior results in a significant decrease in DPS for the warrior, most human players are not like NPCs that stay still eating damage throughout the entire fight. The reason why people don't play warrior is because they cannot hit their opponents as often as the range classes.

>

> And that is the reason why power warrior does not work!

I'm fairly sure he's talking about pve. Might be wrong though.

> @Hitman.5829 said:

> You claim that you studied warrior but you still missed the #1 thing why power warrior does not work! That thing is warrior is a melee fighter that needs to be 130 units range to deal damage. Kiting the warrior results in a significant decrease in DPS for the warrior, most human players are not like NPCs that stay still eating damage throughout the entire fight. The reason why people don't play warrior is because they cannot hit their opponents as often as the range classes.

>

> And that is the reason why power warrior does not work!

I'm not talking about PvP.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to echo what most of you are saying in gist. I'm struggling to find a role for a warrior that isn't done better by another class. Why put so much of the warrior's design into brute force and damage if it can't be properly stacked? I have a much easier time getting damage through on my elementalist with better close-range survivability, too. Something is missing from this class, and I think OP had it right when he/she mentioned damage stacking and proper damage multipliers. I'm just not seeing how it's possible with a warrior to get the same effectiveness as the other classes have in combat.

> @djemben.6924 said:

> I'd like to echo what most of you are saying in gist. I'm struggling to find a role for a warrior that isn't done better by another class. Why put so much of the warrior's design into brute force and damage if it can't be properly stacked? I have a much easier time getting damage through on my elementalist with better close-range survivability, too. Something is missing from this class, and I think OP had it right when he/she mentioned damage stacking and proper damage multipliers. I'm just not seeing how it's possible with a warrior to get the same effectiveness as the other classes have in combat.

This.

Power warr can only do 1 skill/thing a time.

Like others can setup aoe field dmg + other skills at once ( guardian symbols + whirling wrath as example)

> @"Valik Shin.9027" said:

> So with the new axe buff people were excited with the possibility of power warrior actually being a thing. It just wasn't enough to bring it into contention. People have been debating why it just doesn't work so i have come up with the reason i have found after testing and studying warriors

>

> 1. Not enough damage

> The main reason is just pure lack of damage on all the weapons. Most classes can have aoe attack going (lavafont/ele traps/gaurd) and still auto attack. Warrior doesn't have that. Thier attacks need the extra teeth to make up for this

>

> 2. Damage multipliers are a mess

> They are spread out too much and can be awkward to use (stick and move).

>

> Strength has bezerker power which is nice but has some ramp time. Stick and move is awkward at best in most rotations other than GS and is a real pain when you have vigor all the time. Forceful GS is great... if you run GS. The new physical trait? Is a joke. 33% for 5sec that can only be activated by the most unused set of warrior skill in pve? Not very good.

>

> Arms has possibly the best dps bonus in signet mastery. It's fairly esay to maintain all 5 stacks for +500 ferocity. It is a bit clunky but worst case (providing 100% crit chance) it is the same buff as bokt to the heart. The problem? Arms is garbage for power outside of that 1 trait. Only other trait that could be useful right now is dual wielding but it doesn't stack with quickness or the bezerker attack speed increase

>

> Defenens and tactics have minimal damage multipliers and are not really a thing for true power war

>

> Dcipline had the same problem as arms. 1 good power trait and rest are pretty useless. Axe mastery is a nice 20% buff (with 100% crit) but that's about it. Burst mastery is nice but I competes with axe mastery.

>

> Bezerker is the 1 trait line that actually has 3 good traits for power war and is in a good spot

>

> Spellbreaker is just bad for power warrior

>

> So how do we fix all this? Traits need to be moved around or rework to allow warrior to take more damage multipliers and others need to be less awkward to use

>

> I'm sure there are other reasons people can come up with but this is what I find to be the biggest problems at this time

Itested power berserker and spellbreaker, and i concluded the spell have more potential and more damage than berserker... Because? on spell you can get a 35% more critical damage and 300 more power, with berserker you just mainted 10% more damage with not in berserker and in berserker mode you can get 25% for 15second, and the primal burst in berserker mode just sent 1 bar like a spellbreaker, because this nerf in "arc diveder" make power berserker bad... And i guess warrior GS and AXE need rework begening with axe 5 because this skill dont get to quickness effect, this skill can hit 100k but so much slowing compareded with damage, and 100blades, Rush and GS auto attack damage buff, and traits.

The warrior without spesializations needs increase damage to hundred blades, evicerate. Hundred blades is now straight up underpowered compared to every "stand still" attack in gw2. Evicerate is so easy to dodge(due to the long cast time) that something has to change, and it needs a noticable damage increase. Berserker mode needs buffs to pretty much all the primal bursts in order to be worth it anymore.