Change the way "ruins" territories work

rpfohr.7048

Made this read at old forms just before it got booted so moving it here and adding a poll.

There is no sense of ownership because the rune de caps by itself. the way it should be is if you have blood lust you gain access to the whole territory and can glide through it. (also this would be good as it puts more important on ruins and center of map and something more to fight over.)

Right now this is a like a null can’t fly zone because the ruins are always de capped unless your trying to capture. I mean even if your defending your ruins they are probably de capped and your just running to their defense.

This area needs a more permanent ownership feel and as much access to gliding as the other area’s.

I think that whoever gets bloodlust should get control over the ruins as a single territory. Another option is to perhaps de sync territory control and Ruin cap. IE if you cap the ruin the ruin can go neutral but you remain control of territory until capped by another.

I agree the server with bloodlust should have that territory on the map. They did cap the area. It does not make since that you have to hold that specific point to glide in 1/5 of the area when your server has bloodlust. If another server caps that point then yea the territory should flip to their control.

• 2 weeks later...

> @PaperTree.8706 said:

> I voted no change. The ruins now are nice for making roamers think they are doing something. We already have enough mechanics that encourage large teams. Let the roamers have something that makes them feel important.

Do you really think the ruins are as high on the priority list as taking as soloing a camp? I think this would move it up.

It seems to me that the poll questions need to be clarified and expanded.

The current system is:

* Each ruin has its own "territory" which decaps on its own.

* Bloodlust remains in effect for the claiming side until another world claims it.

* Bloodlust and territory are uncoupled.

There are therefore a large number of potential changes with just those three elements.

1. Don't automatically decap. Retain the current color.

2. Require more active defense of Bloodlust, e.g. include a timer on it.

3. Apply 'territory' to all the ruins to the side with Bloodlust, *except* while held by another world; switch the territory if/when Bloodlust is captured.

4. Both 1 & 3 (the OP's proposal): manual decap & territory goes to bloodlust owner, for neutral ruins.

5. Both 1 & 2: manual decap of ruins, timer on Bloodlust

6. Both 2 & 3: Bloodlust expiration & territory goes to bloodlust owner.

7. All three

8. Status quo.

Personally, I'd be in favor of ANet experimenting with all the mechanics with which they can easily tinker. I'd like to see something change every time there's a new linkage. So sure, love to see a change.

Just remove flight in the ruins alltogether then. Pointless anyway. Ruins is a very boring mechanic that should have been changed long ago. I think there should be a fourth type of objective there (in addition to towers, camps and keeps), a sort of forward position/lookout tower that mixes a normal tower and a camp. An open objective but with a very long and large cap, using more chokepoint defenses and guards. This objective reinforce other objectives with bonuses when it upgrades, rather than players. Would be much more interesting to fight over than a circle in the middle of nowhere.