Season 4 Teaser: Observations

Arden.7480

It's probably classified because the charr see it as a method to get an upper hand over the other races. [We already know they've been looking for such here and there.](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Short_Story:_Evon_Gnashblade_Disembarks)

I'd imagine what's "state secret material" is what Rytlock lets slip and nobody questions further: how he became revenant (taught by Glint).

I mean, canonically it seems like Rytlock just spent time teaching the charr how to use revenant magic; the only revenant NPCs we see are either in the Fractals (archdiviner) or are charr. So the charr are probably trying to monopolize access to this "new magic".

> @draxynnic.3719 said:

> To be fair, it's possible that he considered that 'need to know' once it was revealed that the stranger was Balthazar. Even so, though, releasing a random stranger from imprisonment hardly seems to be state secret material.

So again... breaking the stranger's chains was supposed to be a "great tale"? Rytlock likes to tell his adventures and stories- like in Ascalon Catacombs story mode and he was bursting that he killed 2 dragons with us. So this is why the story of his journey in the Mists must be great.

"Welcome, charrs, welcome Smodur. I was in the Mists and I met a stranger's spirit and I released him. The End.".

I suppose it meant that he met old charr legends- this is why we have Renegade. But it would be nice to hear about Kalla (I loved her since I read Ghosts of Ascalon), Shiro, etc. , also what he heard from Ventari- perhaps some breakthrough about Sylvari? (if he heard anything from him).

Also he likely was in the Mists while the gods were gone, so he was in (supposely) the Underground. Or perhaps he released another Spirit?

It's unclear and I want to know this whole "great tale" if not from Rytlock, then lets meet Smodur.

Also he said that he took some people's powers- he said that he learned them and he is using them in his own way. Also he said that the Mists are full of legends, villains etc. So heh I wanna know whom he met, that's all what I want from my old friend that I fought against 2 Elder Dragons and helped him with the ritual to cleanse Ascalon. Why are we supposed to be "these guys" that can't be informed in these things that are really important?

> @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> It's probably classified because the charr see it as a method to get an upper hand over the other races. [We already know they've been looking for such here and there.](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Short_Story:_Evon_Gnashblade_Disembarks)

>

> I'd imagine what's "state secret material" is what Rytlock lets slip and nobody questions further: how he became revenant (taught by Glint).

>

> I mean, canonically it seems like Rytlock just spent time teaching the charr how to use revenant magic; the only revenant NPCs we see are either in the Fractals (archdiviner) or are charr. So the charr are probably trying to monopolize access to this "new magic".

Also Viirastra from new fractal looks like a revenant and she is a norn. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/7/76/Viirastra.jpg/280px-Viirastra.jpg

> @Arden.7480 said:

> > @"Konig Des Todes.2086" said:

> > It's probably classified because the charr see it as a method to get an upper hand over the other races. [We already know they've been looking for such here and there.](https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Short_Story:_Evon_Gnashblade_Disembarks)

> >

> > I'd imagine what's "state secret material" is what Rytlock lets slip and nobody questions further: how he became revenant (taught by Glint).

> >

> > I mean, canonically it seems like Rytlock just spent time teaching the charr how to use revenant magic; the only revenant NPCs we see are either in the Fractals (archdiviner) or are charr. So the charr are probably trying to monopolize access to this "new magic".

>

> Also Viirastra from new fractal looks like a revenant and she is a norn. https://wiki.guildwars2.com/images/thumb/7/76/Viirastra.jpg/280px-Viirastra.jpg

How do we know she was a norn and not just their representation of some generic humanoid celestial being that has a larger frame. I don’t think she’s meant to specifically be norn or a revenant just because of the blindfold. She’s just big and wears a blindfold. Not sure how much we can really read into it. I can see the first boss being a norn or possibly even some pre corruption jotun that isn’t ugly like all the others. One that escaped the change and is still in their former height of empire jotun glory. Both him and vinastra just seem like random irrelevant encounters with random abilities and appearances.

How can Rytlock's meeting with Balthazar in The Mists be "the secret" he's knowingly been keeping from us for three years when he says himself that he had no idea the man he met was Balthazar until Balthazar called him "friend" and spared him in the PoF storyline? He can't have told that to the other Charr in The Black Citadel because he didn't know it himself.

Which means that as far as I read it he hasn't yet told us anything that he was keeping secret. The Commander, however, doesn't seem to notice this so Rytlock has cleverly given himself a pass on having to say any more - which I'm sure suits ANet just fine.

> @"Tiny Doom.4380" said:

> How can Rytlock's meeting with Balthazar in The Mists be "the secret" he's knowingly been keeping from us for three years when he says himself that he had no idea the man he met was Balthazar until Balthazar called him "friend" and spared him in the PoF storyline? He can't have told that to the other Charr in The Black Citadel because he didn't know it himself.

>

> Which means that as far as I read it he hasn't yet told us anything that he was keeping secret. The Commander, however, doesn't seem to notice this so Rytlock has cleverly given himself a pass on having to say any more - which I'm sure suits ANet just fine.

That makes me really upset because of the story... But Rytlock in the trailer for Path of Fire said that "He found something else" so perhaps there is another part of his story to be told.

I guess it was the shock to Rytlock and the Commander that Balthazar was freed in this way... So Commander was rather full of understanding, than just "this info is/isn't enough.."

> @"Tiny Doom.4380" said:

> How can Rytlock's meeting with Balthazar in The Mists be "the secret" he's knowingly been keeping from us for three years when he says himself that he had no idea the man he met was Balthazar until Balthazar called him "friend" and spared him in the PoF storyline? He can't have told that to the other Charr in The Black Citadel because he didn't know it himself.

>

> Which means that as far as I read it he hasn't yet told us anything that he was keeping secret. The Commander, however, doesn't seem to notice this so Rytlock has cleverly given himself a pass on having to say any more - which I'm sure suits ANet just fine.

When he met Balthazar, he found Sohothin. An old man in the Mists, identity unknown, reignited a sword of divine magic that the charr need while openly hating magic and gods.

The charr society is built upon the foundation of **HATING** magic and gods. Magic users are detested, sometimes even by their own warband which is akin to family, and any consideration of religious practice automatically equates one to being a Flame Legion scum in the eyes of your standard citizen. And yet here they are, relying on not just magic but *a god's magic*. Even without knowing who the old man was, they knew that Sohothin came from the gods. Add in revenant powers which are now beginning to be used by a handful of charr because of its usefulness. *A magic taught by a dragon in a world that hates dragons*.

To us players it doesn't seem like a big deal, because we're seeing things from an external view. We're not caught up in charr societal practices, and we've never been in the mindset of "all dragons are evil" which your regular Tyrian - and especially your regular charr - would be in the mindset of.

To put it in modern perspective: Imagine if all of the United States was akin to the radical Christians who fervently support Trump's anti-Islam attitude. Now imagine what would happen if Trump came out to say he's practicing Islam now. There'd be riots across the nation in that situation.

That feels worthy of a state secret to me.

> @Arden.7480 said:

> That makes me really upset because of the story... But Rytlock in the trailer for Path of Fire said that "He found something else" so perhaps there is another part of his story to be told.

>

> I guess it was the shock to Rytlock and the Commander that Balthazar was freed in this way... So Commander was rather full of understanding, than just "this info is/isn't enough.."

The trailer was most definitely referring to Balthazar though, Arden. It's likely that was a non-final recording for when Rytlock talks about finding Balthazar.