Should Anet introduce a reward system for mentors ?

MarkoNS.3261

> @MarkoNS.3261 said:

> reading some of these posts and seeing the mental gymnastics some people do makes me just want to block most of you, like begone you foul creatures bother my eyes no longer.

Logical and reasoned arguments against your absurd and under-developed idea is mental gymnastics? Are you mad that the community gave more thought to your idea than you did or are you mad that you're the proud owner of one of the most lopsided polls on the forum?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reward maybe, but no gems.

But it would be a hell to implement properly and pcould be abbused for sure.

I personally like to help other players and the apple tag is basically a discount commander with some restrictions. Its useful for meta events or gathering people together for certain achievements.

I dont think that a reward is required for being a goid mentor. It maybe sounds cheesy but helping newbies is actually quiet rewarding in itself. One of my most active guildies was once a noob i helped on gendarran fields to complete the bandit legendary. Now he is 3rd ranked and helps newbies too.

I am myself a PvE commander. I don't do that for any rewarding. My personal opinion is that if we take over such responsibility towards other players (same for mentor and commander in PvE), that's because we do love the job and enjoy it. When we tag up, our priority are the others, not ourselves. It needs a strong team mind.

I am afraid that if there is a reward, for some players, the motivation to tag up will be different: I am then not too sure about what could come as type of leading in that case.

I therefore believe that it is good as is now. If some are very happy with the leading they got from a mentor or a commander, they can tell him/her at time they say thanks. This is always welcome and appreciated when our efforts are acknowledged. :)

At first I thought: cool.

But then... this is just, because I want to see a better reward system in the game, better ways to get BL-Keys for your 100+ stacked up Lootboxes in your inventory, or even the whole RNG BS gone for good.

Isn't the whole debate right now, because we feel like being treated as something that can be milked?!

We shouldn't focus on monetising everything, especially not players helping players ingame. I don't want a reward for a port, nor anything else. This is what community is all about, we help each other, stand in for each other. The game machanis are all centered around the concept of group fights, where there are tanks and also healers and so on.

I want a better reward system at large, not fiddling around by monetising 'help'!

Rather than individual rewards (currency or buffs), perhaps instead add additional tools to the game for Mentors to use that might support the community as a whole.

I don't have a good example in mind right now, but I know that since the introduction of the Mentor tag it has been doing some good job. Both for people already helping out newbies and those that like to take a quick commander-role in PvE. A good implementation of a feature that hasn't been overtly abused in my experience.

I once spent a couple of hours portaling a random player through that jumping puzzle in Silverwastes - and helped them with the dive achievement attached to it too. It took me 6 hours to get that blinking puzzle (with gliding) and dive done the first time so when I saw this player struggling, I totally felt their pain. The person didn't speak English very well and I didn't speak any of their language so that made it even more fun. We got there in the end. There was a great deal of satisfaction in it for me in being able to even help - because as a general rule, I'm completely rubbish at jumping puzzles. No coin or loot changed hands - I was just delighted he was patient enough to see it through to the end. That in and of itself was thanks enough.

Every once in a while I play portal princess for free - when people send me coin or loot, I return it. For me it is fun to occasionally spend a little time in game helping others get stuff done. That I actually can do that sometimes gives me such a nice feeling. Money/loot/gems can't buy that. :)

No, I don't feel something like this is necessary.

Why? Generally speaking the people that take it upon themselves to help others do it for the enjoyment of doing it. The enjoyment of helping someone else understand or succeed is in itself it's own reward. That's why the people that choose to mentor now, do so. Simply because it brings them joy, it fulfills some need for them. Adding any type of monetary reward, no matter how little, is going to attract people that have no business being a mentor. They couldn't be bothered before, they don't need to be bothered now. Let those of us that do it simply because we enjoy doing it do our thing without having to fight through droves of greedy people in order to do some good.

Since Anet hopes for the playerbase to promote the game via word of mouth, I'm stunned by the fact that there isn't a recruitment system. Such as: invite a friend to create an account and play the game, and receive some minor rewards as they gain levels etc. Some other games (not sure about MMOs though) feature a system like this, to encourage players to spread the word and invite new people in.

Slightly off topic, but I needed to say it.